← Bill Maher's Religulous Opens Today

Bill Maher's Religulous Opens Today - Comments

ridelo's Avatar Comment 1 by ridelo

Terrific! When in Europe?

Fri, 03 Oct 2008 08:22:00 UTC | #245891

dbunker's Avatar Comment 2 by dbunker

Just checked the listings in the paper. Doesn't seem to be showing in my neck of the great northeast.(USA)

Fri, 03 Oct 2008 08:27:00 UTC | #245896

mbobo's Avatar Comment 3 by mbobo

Been waiting an "eternity" for this day !!!

Fri, 03 Oct 2008 08:28:00 UTC | #245898

Chris Roberts's Avatar Comment 4 by Chris Roberts

I really want to see this too. I tried to find listings for the UK yesterday but couldn't find anything.

Great artwork, it'll sure fire up a few people.

Wonder if we will see protests against it?

I do hope so, as any publicity is good publicity...

Fri, 03 Oct 2008 08:33:00 UTC | #245904

a non e-moose's Avatar Comment 5 by a non e-moose

I really don't like maher. not sure why... I just don't.

Fri, 03 Oct 2008 08:36:00 UTC | #245906

alabasterocean's Avatar Comment 6 by alabasterocean

This one is gona be great!
Maher is just super fun :)

Fri, 03 Oct 2008 08:39:00 UTC | #245911

petermun's Avatar Comment 7 by petermun

I am a Maher convert - someone needs to take over the baton from the wonderful George Carling (although I appreciate he is very different).

Fri, 03 Oct 2008 08:40:00 UTC | #245912

Styrer-'s Avatar Comment 8 by Styrer-

Maher. Hm.

I can barely raise an eyebrow in anticipation of one of his shows.

But this is special. Anti-theistic, and all. I'll try to raise both.

I really suspect that this is going to be an utter pile of shite.

Ah well.

Styrer

Fri, 03 Oct 2008 08:41:00 UTC | #245914

SPS's Avatar Comment 9 by SPS

Going to see this tonight...

Fri, 03 Oct 2008 08:53:00 UTC | #245926

Thor25's Avatar Comment 10 by Thor25

Tough crowd.

Going to see it in 2hrs, its received some great reviews and I'm sure it will be immensely entertaining.

Fri, 03 Oct 2008 08:54:00 UTC | #245927

DWLehning's Avatar Comment 11 by DWLehning

I just checked our local listings, and it is showing in my area. I have not been to a movie in a while, so I think I will go see it tomorrow. From the clips that I have seen on YouTube, it should be good.

Fri, 03 Oct 2008 08:56:00 UTC | #245931

BigJohn's Avatar Comment 12 by BigJohn

Strange, it's not showing here in East Texas. Of course, if it were the Christians would burn the theater down.

Fri, 03 Oct 2008 09:01:00 UTC | #245935

Edamus's Avatar Comment 13 by Edamus

Sweet! And Bible Belt Charlotte, NC got it too! I'm definately going to go see it this weekend!

Fri, 03 Oct 2008 09:09:00 UTC | #245942

Ed-words's Avatar Comment 14 by Ed-words

Nails (Comment #4) - -

You wonder if we'll see protests ?

Do bees buzz? Is Bill Donahue a Catholic?

Fri, 03 Oct 2008 09:10:00 UTC | #245945

SASnSA's Avatar Comment 15 by SASnSA

Looks like only one theater carrying it in all of San Antonio. Of course there were several theaters carrying Expelled when it came out. Go figure.

Fri, 03 Oct 2008 09:13:00 UTC | #245946

ManOfReason's Avatar Comment 16 by ManOfReason

My wife and I are seeing this tonight. Here's to hoping it does well!

Fri, 03 Oct 2008 09:20:00 UTC | #245952

Roger Stanyard's Avatar Comment 17 by Roger Stanyard

I wonder just what bile and hate and calls for censorship are going to emerge from the fundamentalists over this film?

Fri, 03 Oct 2008 09:23:00 UTC | #245954

v4ri4bl3's Avatar Comment 19 by v4ri4bl3

Keep in mind that the methods he used to get interviews were very similar to those employed by the Discovery Institute puppet Ben Stein in his documentary Expelled. No one knew the true nature of the interview or that Bill Maher would be hosting.

With that said, I don't see the likelihood of anyone being asked to leave any of the showings, like PZ Myers. I'm curious to see how tactfully Bill was able to expose the ignorance of those interviewed.

Fri, 03 Oct 2008 09:25:00 UTC | #245956

Nephite's Avatar Comment 18 by Nephite

Not everybody likes Bill Maher. I've heard some less than favorable comments about him, especially from the science-based medicine folks.

Fri, 03 Oct 2008 09:25:00 UTC | #245955

DiveMedic's Avatar Comment 20 by DiveMedic

My wife and I are seeing this tonight in Hollywood... Our first night out using a babysitter since we had our little girl.. Woohoo!

I am not much of a Maher fan either, but the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

With all of the buzz surrounding this film, hopefully it will allow a decent number of people to feel more comfortable with the idea of "coming out" by making the act of scrutinizing religion more mainstream.

Perhaps I am being optimistic. At the very least, it looks pretty entertaining.

Fri, 03 Oct 2008 09:30:00 UTC | #245958

righton's Avatar Comment 21 by righton

Seeing this tonite. It needs to outgross Expelled.

Good point DiveMedic. I think this might help a lot of people ditch religion or even prevent some from being "born-again". Also, I think it will make atheism look cool and edgy for the younger crowd.

Fri, 03 Oct 2008 09:41:00 UTC | #245965

rave8151's Avatar Comment 22 by rave8151

I saw this last weekend at the Vancouver International Film Festival and it was great! Bill Maher seems to hit harder in this movie than in other stuff I've seen of him. I think it was very well done and everyone in the audience laughed through the whole movie. Everyone should see it!

Fri, 03 Oct 2008 09:45:00 UTC | #245967

Captain Kendrick's Avatar Comment 23 by Captain Kendrick

I'm kinda worried about this movie, and anticipate myself lowering my head and covering my eyes in embarrassment while watching.

While I appreciate Maher's stab at it, and appreciate even more that someone of his status is championing reason, skepticism, and disbelief, I'm worried that somebody like Maher might hurt more than help. I've watched him off and on since he started Politically Incorrrect on HBO, then the networks, and now Realtime, and while I appreciate his gregarious attitude towards religion, he has a strong natural tendency to come off as very smug and smarmy.

So I predict that myself and other non-believers will watch and think "right on!" and even relish the ridicule and scorn I suspect Maher will heap on, and the believers will be predictable in their own scorn and offense at this movie. I doubt it will shed much light or enlighten any potential skeptics.

Healthy ridicule is good, but bullying ridicule done with a sophomoric Michael Moorish technique doesn't serve anybody except those who who feel the same way anyway.

We'll see....I still want to see it.

Fri, 03 Oct 2008 09:46:00 UTC | #245968

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 24 by Steve Zara

Comment #259356 by a non e-moose

I am not sure I like Maher either. I think he can be quite funny, but there is a core of arrogance to him I think. He feels happy to express views on everything from politics to medicine, including areas in which he has no qualifications. He also dismisses atheism as "the same kind of certainty as religion". That seems a tired old argument to me.

Fri, 03 Oct 2008 09:48:00 UTC | #245971

Elli's Avatar Comment 26 by Elli

I adore Bill Maher for his comic writing and delivery and think he is doing superlative work not just on the anti-religion front but also on the important role of calling out US political BS. His Real Time show is genuinely funny and his guests vary from irritating to brilliant and everything inbetween, but always provide for a fascinating and thought provoking hour of television in a country which is desolate in regards to quality intellectual programming. I should add that I have been here a couple of years now so my frame of reference is only recent.

*However*

I happened to catch Bill on morning television discussing religion and his new movie and he was very adamant to say he is NOT as atheist. His reason was that he feels anyone that is completely certain in the other direction is just as bad as the religious who are completely certain of their theism. As can be expected, I took great umbrage with this position. Firstly, it painted to the gargantuan viewership of this particular morning show that all Atheists are 100% certain god(s) don't exist, which is completely not the case, and it continued to perpetuate the stereotype that the word Atheist is a dirty word. The reality is that very few Atheists will claim to intellectually have arrived at a position of [any possibility of any god(s) = 0] preferring the intellectually honest position of [probability of any god(s) is extremely close to 0 and therefore live life as if there isn't] and the stronger case of [probability of capital G god (biblical god) is even more remote so as to arrive at a practical certainty of God's non existence]. The reality is that this is Maher's position himself. So essentially he *is* an atheist but just prefers to use a different nomenclature, because he mistakenly has associated the notion of Atheism with being absolutely certain any kind of god can not possibly exist.

I find Maher to be a fairly smart guy, but his comic genius vastly outweighs his actual intelligence. He has the tendency to be a little weak on certain rational positions (some famously so) although from his incredibly fast comedic wit it is often difficult to sense. I think his vigilance in maintaining he is agnostic and not atheist in spite of the fact that he is just as atheistic as virtually all other atheists who call themselves such is evidence of him not really giving adequate thought on the subject.

Anyhow - I am excited for the movie, and if his softer then desirable stance on atheism is what makes it to Main Street (a popular phrase right now in the US) then this is a good thing. Many people will be instantly turned off by a strong atheism so perhaps his weaker position will be a more successful approach at first instance. One thing he does champion, which ultimately is the right approach, is to question everything and not ever take anything as true just because it is told to you. Inquiry is the first step, and it is a great thing that Bill champions this so strongly.

Fri, 03 Oct 2008 09:48:00 UTC | #245973

Edouard Pernod's Avatar Comment 25 by Edouard Pernod

I'm going to try and catch it this weekend. Maher is more funny than not. He seems to be a bit of a misogynist, but I agree with him 99% of the time on religion (he is agnostic, says atheism is too sure of itself).

All the criticism of his methods really doesn't matter anyway, it's not like he changed what the people said or is trying to intentionally misrepresent anyone. He's just asking questions to which they have either no answer or the most retarded answer you can possibly imagine.

Fri, 03 Oct 2008 09:48:00 UTC | #245972

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 27 by Steve Zara

Comment #259423 by Elli

Great post. A far better summary of Maher than I gave.

Fri, 03 Oct 2008 09:49:00 UTC | #245975

Chrysippus_Maximus's Avatar Comment 28 by Chrysippus_Maximus

I find Bill Maher annoying, and not all that bright.

Just saying.

Fri, 03 Oct 2008 09:54:00 UTC | #245979

HourglassMemory's Avatar Comment 29 by HourglassMemory

I'm gonna have to wait until Dec. 4 for it to come out in my country.
I really want to watch this in a cinema, with the big screen, to see other people's reactions and to see if I can hear their opinions afterwards.

Fri, 03 Oct 2008 09:55:00 UTC | #245980

Elli's Avatar Comment 30 by Elli

For those that have pointed out that Maher is not the brightest chap in the world, I think it important to note that you can't convince the "ignorant masses" by throwing out intellectuals one after the other at them. The average Joe in the US will just switch off instantly to the sensible and intelligent voice of Harris or Dennett or Dawkins and the like. Only the smart people will be receptive to this and to be honest, many smart people are sypathetic to these views in the first place (although not clearly enough). So there is definitely a need for people like Maher, people that may be a little dumb at times, but who the average Joe in the street can relate to a little bit more. I too wish he wasn't so smarmy but so be it. We need more people from different walks of life being public about these topics. Carlin was a brilliant man, and in now way does Maher come close to his level of genius, but it is good that someone is taking up the mantle of combating irrational nonsense with everyday humour. There are better comedians out there doing this, but none as high profile as Maher. It is his fame, in a country that adores fame (worships it, dare I say!) that makes him a useful spokesperson, not his intellect or lack thereof.

Fri, 03 Oct 2008 10:03:00 UTC | #245986