← 'Probably' the best atheist bus campaign ever

'Probably' the best atheist bus campaign ever - Comments

debacles's Avatar Comment 1 by debacles

can't wait to see the backlash

Thu, 23 Oct 2008 18:47:00 UTC | #256570

Don_Quix's Avatar Comment 2 by Don_Quix

I have no problem with the use of the word "probably", and the reasons offered for its usage (marketing, the UK's "offense" laws) make sense to me.

I just wish you (or someone) would run the same advertisements over here in the US where it is likely to have a bigger impact. Or at least cause a much bigger media frenzy :)

Thu, 23 Oct 2008 18:48:00 UTC | #256572

Carl Sai Baba's Avatar Comment 3 by Carl Sai Baba

I rather like the mellow statement.

But if anyone is worried that it doesn't have enough "punch", earlier today Fox News was summarizing it as a plot to "kill God."

Thu, 23 Oct 2008 18:52:00 UTC | #256575

Carl Sai Baba's Avatar Comment 4 by Carl Sai Baba

And if any moderate atheists shy from the "A-word", can I suggest "Probabilist" as an alternative?

Thu, 23 Oct 2008 18:54:00 UTC | #256578

Don_Quix's Avatar Comment 5 by Don_Quix

Hahah. I saw that, and it made me smile. It was even one of the minor headlines on foxnews.com. It probably would have been the banner headline for a week if the ads had been run in Utah or Kansas.

Thu, 23 Oct 2008 18:55:00 UTC | #256579

Kiwi's Avatar Comment 6 by Kiwi

How about sponsoring a high profile sportsperson ? Runner in the London marathon, tennis player, footballer or football advertisement ?

Thu, 23 Oct 2008 19:01:00 UTC | #256583

GordonYKWong's Avatar Comment 7 by GordonYKWong

Oh noes, the nasty atheist are going to murder poor innocent god with bad words.

What shall we ever do??

Thu, 23 Oct 2008 19:01:00 UTC | #256584

Carl Sai Baba's Avatar Comment 8 by Carl Sai Baba

How about a NASCAR car with a Red A?

Thu, 23 Oct 2008 19:07:00 UTC | #256589

Styrer-'s Avatar Comment 9 by Styrer-

Ariane

Though the ad campaign is in itself a wonderful step in the right direction, your own eloquent and passionate support for our collective atheist endeavour is of enormous value.

Thank you.

Best,
Styrer

Thu, 23 Oct 2008 19:07:00 UTC | #256590

Don_Quix's Avatar Comment 10 by Don_Quix

It is rather telling that religious people (Christians especially) are so concerned that their god can can be so easily dispatched with a couple of words, isn't it?

Atheist: God, you probably don't exist.

GOD: ...

Fundamentalists: ARRRRRGGGGH!!!! *gnashing of teeth* *protest* *boycott* *etc*

Thu, 23 Oct 2008 19:08:00 UTC | #256591

the way's Avatar Comment 11 by the way

Fox News was summarizing it as a plot to "kill God."

So much for god's omnipotence then!

Thu, 23 Oct 2008 19:09:00 UTC | #256592

Don_Quix's Avatar Comment 12 by Don_Quix

How about a NASCAR car with a Red A?

Genius! Although most people at NASCAR races would probably think it stood for some sort of new anti-impotence drug.

Thu, 23 Oct 2008 19:12:00 UTC | #256593

alexmzk's Avatar Comment 13 by alexmzk

i hope this bus drives past a lot of churches on its route.

Thu, 23 Oct 2008 19:25:00 UTC | #256596

MPhil's Avatar Comment 14 by MPhil

Perhaps a TV-ad mocking the perception of atheists by the fundie-nutjobs? You know, juxtaposing ominous music and narration with footage of atheists being ordinary, kind, intelligent, thoughtful people. Although that might probably be more apt in the US than in the UK.

Thu, 23 Oct 2008 19:29:00 UTC | #256598

Fuller's Avatar Comment 15 by Fuller

but while this is closer to what most atheists believe, "probably" is shorter and catchier, which is helpful for advertising. I also think the word is more lighthearted, and somehow makes the message more positive.

Nup. 'Almost certainly' is far better. It expresses the strength and confidence of atheism at the same time as emphasising its non-dogmatism (is there a word for that').

Aside from that though, I'm extremely happy about this campaign. 'Just the beginning', indeed.

Edit: Curse you, question mark demons!!!

Thu, 23 Oct 2008 19:33:00 UTC | #256599

the way's Avatar Comment 16 by the way

juxtaposing ominous music and narration...

It would go way over their heads!
I can see them now, nodding their collective heads sagely and saying "see! It doesn't matter how good you are, if you don't believe in (MY) god, you're still going to go to hell".

Thu, 23 Oct 2008 19:38:00 UTC | #256601

Don_Quix's Avatar Comment 17 by Don_Quix

I don't know if Geico (the insurance company) runs the same ads in the UK as they run in the US, but I'd find it hilarious to see the Geico cavemen being skeptical of religion. Maybe instead of the cavemen being offended by Geico saying "it's so easy a caveman could do it", they could be offended by fundies constantly telling them they don't exist.

Thu, 23 Oct 2008 19:39:00 UTC | #256602

LeeC's Avatar Comment 18 by LeeC

It couldn't have happened without you

I'm all embarrassed now - it was nothing :-)

Lee

Thu, 23 Oct 2008 19:52:00 UTC | #256603

LeeC's Avatar Comment 19 by LeeC

Ideas' Well, 83,000 pounds does not go a long way in advertising and so the ‘shock’ tactic could be the way to go.

Just look how much free advertising the ‘shock’ that atheists would think about having signs with ‘probably does not exist’ on the buses...

Think about how much free advertising could be got with some ‘real’ shock tactics...

let’s quote the bible or Koran at them in the next ad campaign. (And I think the mere mention of the Koran would start the debate)

Any good bible verses...

How about this on the side of a bus

So what does Jesus say'
"Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.
Matthew 10:34

I know the Christian will just say I cherry picked my quote out of context (And - they never do this right) - but it might start a debate on the news, radio, TV etc

Lee
UPDATE: Curse my like of question marks... Grr

Thu, 23 Oct 2008 20:12:00 UTC | #256605

Don_Quix's Avatar Comment 20 by Don_Quix

So what does Jesus say'
Matthew 10:34

Thu, 23 Oct 2008 20:15:00 UTC | #256606

LeeC's Avatar Comment 21 by LeeC

Hi Don Quix,

THAT was funny... I now want to see it on the side of a bus

Thu, 23 Oct 2008 20:18:00 UTC | #256608

Bonzai's Avatar Comment 22 by Bonzai

For a slogan you need a good soundbite, not a philosophy essay, I say drop adjectives like "probably" and "almost certainly". They are tedious.

But on second thought, who cares whether some abstract God exists or not?

Even if it does no one knows what he wants with us or if he wants anything with us anyway, all we've got is insane people in funny constumes claiming they know what God wants and they all tell different stories. For all intent and purpose we are living without God anyway.

The message should be that an honest person can only live as if there is no God, we can only be responsible for other humans, not some supreme being that in all likelihood is only a figment of the imagination of neurotic men (men cooked up most of the bullshit).

Here is my proposal:

"God is the pacifier for the stunted. Get over it and grow the fuck up!"

Bet styrer would like this.

Here is a good soundbite from Marx:

"God = "I don't know", but ignorance is not an argument."

Thu, 23 Oct 2008 20:19:00 UTC | #256609

Styrer-'s Avatar Comment 23 by Styrer-

Comment #270213 by MPhil on October 23, 2008 at 8:29 pm

We're only talking 100,000 or so. It's really fuck all, actually, in terms of a campaign.

TV's out, I think.

Nice to see you, by the way.

Best,
Styrer

Thu, 23 Oct 2008 20:19:00 UTC | #256610

Brian English's Avatar Comment 24 by Brian English

But Lee, you know that Thor isn't real. Unlike cosmic jewish zombie.

Thu, 23 Oct 2008 20:19:00 UTC | #256611

GordonYKWong's Avatar Comment 25 by GordonYKWong

Don Quix -

It is rather telling that religious people (Christians especially) are so concerned that their god can can be so easily dispatched with a couple of words, isn't it'
I would say (Muslim especially):

Printed words on a Bus: "Allah, you probably don't exist."

Allah: "..."

Muslim Fundamentalists: "ARRRRRGGGGH!!!! Hate speech, hate speech, violated my beliefs, racist, islamophobic, censure, censure..."

*proceed to burn bus* *burn effirgy of bus* *burn embassy of bus* *burn X* *burn Y* *burn Z* *etc*

Thu, 23 Oct 2008 20:20:00 UTC | #256614

DanDare's Avatar Comment 26 by DanDare

What about repeating the ad as a Google ad or something similar that links to an atheist page which itself links here and to Sam Harris etc?

Thu, 23 Oct 2008 20:26:00 UTC | #256615

Styrer-'s Avatar Comment 27 by Styrer-

Comment #270224 by Bonzai on October 23, 2008 at 9:19 pm

Strange, Bonzai. You don't read my posts - by your own admission - and have dismissed me in former times as simply a 'cranky guy with a colourful vocabulary'. Yet you continue to mention me to this day in your posts.

I don't know why.

Styrer

Thu, 23 Oct 2008 20:26:00 UTC | #256616

LeeC's Avatar Comment 28 by LeeC

24. Comment #270226 by Brian English
But Lee, you know that Thor isn't real. Unlike cosmic jewish zombie.

True - but it made me laugh.

Maybe we should just quote the facts...

UPDATE: Stupid bloody typo - fixed now

Thu, 23 Oct 2008 20:26:00 UTC | #256617

Bonzai's Avatar Comment 29 by Bonzai

Styrer,

Cranky guys with a colourful vocabulary can be entertaining. You turn swearing into an art form, that I do appreciate. :)

Thu, 23 Oct 2008 20:30:00 UTC | #256618

LeeC's Avatar Comment 30 by LeeC

25. Comment #270229 by GordonYKWong

You forgot...
Muslim Fundamentalists: "...And Islam is a peaceful religion"

Thu, 23 Oct 2008 20:31:00 UTC | #256619