← Sarah Palin's War on Science

Sarah Palin's War on Science - Comments

Jay Cee's Avatar Comment 1 by Jay Cee

Reading "God is not Great" at the moment and finding Hitchen's writing hyponotic. It's very powerfully written.

Tue, 28 Oct 2008 13:18:00 UTC | #259645

NewEnglandBob's Avatar Comment 2 by NewEnglandBob

Yes, Hitch, it is surprising that "it didn't seem possible that things could go any lower or get any dumber."

But it has even gotten lower and dumber since Friday. The Republicans have contempt for any kind of truth or reason at all.

This has been a pattern of that party for the last eight years who believe that repeating a lie over and over again can turn it into a truth.

Steven Colbert calls that "truthiness".

Their contempt for all science has shown itself in their policy for the environment whether it involves oil or trees or endangered species. It also shows in their policy for medicine and their attempts to force government funded scientists to lie for their agenda.

Tue, 28 Oct 2008 13:27:00 UTC | #259646

ridelo's Avatar Comment 3 by ridelo

Guess there aren't any fruit flies in Alaska...

Tue, 28 Oct 2008 13:33:00 UTC | #259647

Stella's Avatar Comment 4 by Stella

What he said.

Tue, 28 Oct 2008 13:37:00 UTC | #259649

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 5 by Stafford Gordon

Oh, thank you Mr Hitchens; accurate and succinct.

Well done sir!

Tue, 28 Oct 2008 13:54:00 UTC | #259652

squinky's Avatar Comment 6 by squinky

Goddamn Hitch, where the hell have you been' I've been waiting for this essay from you for months, scouring Slate and Vanity Fair, and now you come out with it' With one week to go' Was waiting until the end strategic on your part so you would garner more 'clicks''

Sam Harris came out a month ago excoriating Palin in the LA Times and he's not even a political pundit. I was beginning to think that your increasingly indefensible position of Iraq was putting you in the McCain camp. Thank Dawkins you finally came to your senses man! Now get on MSNBC or CNN and grind McCain/Palin into mooseburgers for the love of your country, the Constitution, and a free world before we're all F'd.

Tue, 28 Oct 2008 14:03:00 UTC | #259654

al-rawandi's Avatar Comment 7 by al-rawandi

Palin is a fucking moron. Period.

Tue, 28 Oct 2008 14:10:00 UTC | #259656

Gregg Townsend's Avatar Comment 8 by Gregg Townsend

Al,

Have you seen the video of the speech she was giving (that Hitch is referencing)? I threw-up in my mouth a little when she said, "I kid you not."

aaaack

Tue, 28 Oct 2008 14:14:00 UTC | #259659

al-rawandi's Avatar Comment 10 by al-rawandi

Gregg,

She is a first class fucktard. It isn't quite enough to believe dinosaurs were Jesus ponies, she has to go and attack the very discipline that provides the greatest hopes for the human race. It wasn't religion that gave us vaccines, spaceflight, nuclear power, and the theory of relativity.

I watched Family Guy last night, the episode where Louis runs for mayor and people aplaud her every inane and terse answer, until she was merely answere "9/11" to every question to wild cheers.

It is more a reflection of the stupidity of the average American. The Republicans pander to the truly pedestrian intellect with the boogeyman "Paris, France". John Kerry had to downplay the fact that he even spoke French at all in 2004, which didn't save him from the fear mongering wolves of the American Right.

I once said, and still believe, that the left in the US has lost its heart, and has lost what made it great. Nothing about the right in this country has ever been great, nothing worth historical note. It has been from start to finish a stain on our nation. A bigoted mob of mouth breathing yokels, unable to determine the simple facts of life, plainly evident, which repeatedly smacked them upsife their vacuous heads.

Pathetic. And this latest troglydite (Palin) is like the perfect Jack McCoy closing argument where the verdict is sealed. There are plenty of reasons to not vote for the democrats, but there is no reason to vote for the republicans.

Tue, 28 Oct 2008 14:21:00 UTC | #259663

javb222's Avatar Comment 9 by javb222

Tue, 28 Oct 2008 14:21:00 UTC | #259662

Goldy's Avatar Comment 11 by Goldy

Heheheheheh! I'm glad my choice is easy - Key or Clarke, along with one party or another, along with....
Love proportional representation!

Tue, 28 Oct 2008 14:22:00 UTC | #259664

amalthea's Avatar Comment 12 by amalthea

I think I'd rather be a fruit-fly in Paris, France than a black man in Paris, Texas.

Here are the reasons:

Actually, the fruit-fly research in france is being done in Montpellier http://scienceblogs.com/evolgen/2008/10/they_are_not_fruit_flies.php

They're NOT fruit flies (same article/but pedant alert!)

But I really am distressed by the man who was dragged to death in Paris, Texas. http://uspolitics.tribe.net/thread/b4199b8b-c36e-43ed-95f3-88004187948c

Remind me again, just in case I forget, which century are we in? Can I just put this down to ignorance? Racism? Religion?

BTW, I had to laugh when I saw the photo of one of the really nasty white supremacists who threatened to assassinate Obama, which seems to have disappeared from the BBC now. Proper hardline end-of-the world white supremacist.... in make-up? No, really. WTF?

Lovin' the Hitch doing his thing. Priceless.
And people call RD strident? Are they in for a surprise :)

Tue, 28 Oct 2008 14:28:00 UTC | #259669

Grantaire of JC's Avatar Comment 13 by Grantaire of JC

Is this the government we deserve? What has the United States done (or not done) to get such a vice presidential candidate? With all the intelligent people who have party affiliations, why did the Republicans end up with such a recommendation? Or do they really plan to intentionally lose this election?

Tue, 28 Oct 2008 14:31:00 UTC | #259672

javb222's Avatar Comment 14 by javb222

I think the Republicans gambled because they were at a huge disadvantage because of Bush. It was a good political choice... woman, Christian, white, Republican...

Tue, 28 Oct 2008 14:38:00 UTC | #259673

Caudimordax's Avatar Comment 15 by Caudimordax

Squinky - I haven't seen your avatar in a while, but I had been wondering if it's a chew-toy, or perhaps the outer surface of a Mandelbrot set?

Tue, 28 Oct 2008 14:47:00 UTC | #259675

prettygoodformonkeys's Avatar Comment 16 by prettygoodformonkeys

I'm betting it's an acorn, miraculously in the shape of Mother Teresa....

Tue, 28 Oct 2008 14:59:00 UTC | #259682

Wosret's Avatar Comment 17 by Wosret

Superb as always. I very much hope that everyone sees the importance of keeping her as far away from the White House as possible.

Tue, 28 Oct 2008 15:01:00 UTC | #259684

robotaholic's Avatar Comment 18 by robotaholic

Totally agree with Hitch - the republicans do have contempt for science...and so do the democrats - they both royally suck - they're both so stuck in gridlock that nothing good can be done-

Tue, 28 Oct 2008 15:18:00 UTC | #259697

squinky's Avatar Comment 19 by squinky

Caudi and Pretty.

It's the Nun Bun, a modern-day miracle that happened in Tennessee in 1996 whereby a cinnamon bun came out of the oven in the visage of Mother Theresa. It was an immaculate confection. Sadly it was stolen two years later.

I'm still waiting for the return...
See: http://www.bongojava.com/nunbun.html

Tue, 28 Oct 2008 15:19:00 UTC | #259700

Titania's Avatar Comment 20 by Titania

19. Comment #273350 by squinky

It happened right here in my town. Many here are still traumatized by the theft! My daughter knows the owner of the place and I believe that he thinks some religious people stole it because it was considered to be sacrilegious.

It's a great place for a cup of coffee and to catch some local talent.

Tue, 28 Oct 2008 15:23:00 UTC | #259708

Gan San's Avatar Comment 21 by Gan San

My condolences to the U.S. if that lot of morons win the election.

It is unfortunate that there are so many stupid and bigoted people out there who would even keep the Republicans in the running for the election. It's this sort of unresearched drivel that unfairly gives the people of the U.S. a bad reputation by stereotype.

Remove God from the equation and perhaps people would no longer be satisfied with "truth determined by consensus".

Tue, 28 Oct 2008 15:36:00 UTC | #259723

madreasoner's Avatar Comment 22 by madreasoner

Why doesn't Sara Palin just have her witchdoctor cast the devils and demons of autism (since these are the cause of all disease) out of the world?

Tue, 28 Oct 2008 15:40:00 UTC | #259730

Labyrinthos's Avatar Comment 23 by Labyrinthos

Does anyone know how many people read the Slate? How large is Hitch's audience?

Tue, 28 Oct 2008 15:44:00 UTC | #259736

Frankus1122's Avatar Comment 24 by Frankus1122

Comment #273386 by BigChiefRainInFace

It is a difficult question to answer but here is the answer from Slate:

Tue, 28 Oct 2008 15:49:00 UTC | #259740

hoops mccann's Avatar Comment 25 by hoops mccann

I rarely agree with anything Hitchens has to say politically since he left The Nation, but he's right on the money here. Way to go, Christopher!

Tue, 28 Oct 2008 15:53:00 UTC | #259742

Fuller's Avatar Comment 26 by Fuller

Does anyone know how many people read the Slate' How large is Hitch's audience'

He has wide syndication, not just Slate. Skeptic and Vanity Fair among others.

Tue, 28 Oct 2008 15:58:00 UTC | #259744

Goldy's Avatar Comment 27 by Goldy

Does anyone know how many people read the Slate' How large is Hitch's audience'

You don't have to read Slate, or any of the other publications. People like me, who don't read any of the magazines mentioned, come here (or similar sites), read the article and copy it and distribute it to friends by email. Some friends don't share my views but there are enough overlaps to make the same article mutually interesting (like the science aspect). I dare say the emails I send are also forwarded by some.
So, you see, a small article on a small site read by a small person can reach many :-)

Tue, 28 Oct 2008 16:18:00 UTC | #259751

bewlay_brother's Avatar Comment 28 by bewlay_brother

he wrote in a sunday paper in the uk this week...sunday express i think it was..read it in a bar. sharp and incisive as always.

edit Hitchens, not the bar...lol

Tue, 28 Oct 2008 16:18:00 UTC | #259752

Goldy's Avatar Comment 29 by Goldy

Here, another example of how ideas get to an audience, not always in the way you'd think they would. Victorians also got their ideas on evolution from people influenced by Darwin, not actually by reading the Evolution of Species...

Tue, 28 Oct 2008 16:21:00 UTC | #259756

mirandaceleste's Avatar Comment 30 by mirandaceleste

Fabulous article. Palin is a terrifying and ignorant woman. But it's the pride in ignorance that really disturbs me. She and others like her in the Republican party (especially the far-right nutty religious wing of it) wear their willful ignorance as a badge of honor. That's something I just can't understand. And they act as if its somehow "elitist" to be intelligent and/or intellectual, and to use one's brain power to help society. I'm fascinated that "elitist" has, in much of pop culture/popular media/Republican speak, stopped meaning "rich and out of touch with the common person" and instead become about "someone who is educated, thinks things through, and makes judgments based on reason, thought, and intellect, not superstition or bigotry." It's quite scary how effectively they've changed the connotation of that word in public discourse.

I'm quite scared of next Tuesday. Hopeful, but scared. I literally cannot imagine this woman being anywhere near the presidency. It gives me a panic attack.

Tue, 28 Oct 2008 16:52:00 UTC | #259780