← Swatting attacks on fruit flies and science

Swatting attacks on fruit flies and science - Comments

Ex~'s Avatar Comment 1 by Ex~

Amen. People like Sarah Palin are a plague on this country. Imagine if this contemptible ignorant idiot was put one cancer-ridden 72-year-old's heartbeat away from the presidency.

Fri, 31 Oct 2008 09:59:00 UTC | #261882

Anna Lane's Avatar Comment 2 by Anna Lane

How I would like to see the Palins of this world living by their archaic ways of thinking ie: Having nothing to do with present day technology, medical knowledge etc. If they refuse to believe in evolution why do they not live as their 3000 year old ways of thinking dictates? Does she not realise that she lives a modern day life that has only been made possible by evolution in technology and scientific study.
Dumb ass!

Fri, 31 Oct 2008 10:14:00 UTC | #261895

rdubya's Avatar Comment 3 by rdubya

I think this pissed me off more then anything she has ever said. If those two get into office, I will be in utter disbelief. I am glad im Canadian but scared at the same time, I have to share a border with these nuts.

Cheers

Fri, 31 Oct 2008 10:27:00 UTC | #261928

Richard Dawkins's Avatar Comment 4 by Richard Dawkins

Jerry just copied to me the following letter:

Until this very day I numbered myself among the undecided in the coming presidential election. No more. Your October 31 op-ed piece in the Philadelphia Inquirer about Sarah Palin's low regard for the fruit fly has tilted me solidly to the left. Thanks.
Congratulations, Jerry. Let's hope the one who bothers to write is the tip of a large iceberg. And in Pennsylvania, too, one of the minority of states where votes actually matter, under the ridiculous 'electoral college' system.
Richard

Fri, 31 Oct 2008 10:32:00 UTC | #261956

mbobo's Avatar Comment 5 by mbobo

Of all the observations surrounding Palin... The most "spot on" is "Bush in a skirt"... To anyone who doubts the damming power of their collective thought processes... Please read "Undermining Science" by Seth Shulman... Four more minutes of these morons is far too long, let alone four more years!!!

Fri, 31 Oct 2008 10:33:00 UTC | #261963

markg's Avatar Comment 6 by markg

I can imagine the lack of thought going on in Sarah Palin's head:

"Why are they doing research on fruit flies? To improve their lives? To improve the health and cure diseases of fruit flies?

Why aren't we spending that money on the important things like curing autism in children..."

You would think her creationism adviser would at least a know a little about fruit fly research.

Fri, 31 Oct 2008 10:35:00 UTC | #261969

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 7 by Steve Zara

As a geneticist, I've worked on fruit flies in the laboratory for three decades. I know the fruit fly. The fruit fly is a friend of mine. And believe me, Sarah Palin doesn't know anything about fruit flies.

Clever.

It refers to this stunning put-down of a previous dumb vice-presidential candidate:

Fri, 31 Oct 2008 10:39:00 UTC | #261977

God fearing Atheist's Avatar Comment 8 by God fearing Atheist

#275635 by markg
I can imagine the thoughts going on in Sarah Palin's head:

You can imagine "thought" going through SP's head? :-)

Fri, 31 Oct 2008 10:43:00 UTC | #261979

A happy fly,
If I live,
Or if I die.

-- William Blake

Fri, 31 Oct 2008 10:46:00 UTC | #261986

markg's Avatar Comment 10 by markg

You can imagine "thought" going through SP's head? :-)

error corrected

Fri, 31 Oct 2008 10:48:00 UTC | #261989

NewEnglandBob's Avatar Comment 11 by NewEnglandBob

Very good article. I don't understand why anyone could be undecided at this point. These examples by Coyne only add to the thousands of pieces of evidence that the Republican in the US are against science, people, progress, health, the environment, logic, reason and sanity.

Fri, 31 Oct 2008 10:48:00 UTC | #261990

ev-love's Avatar Comment 12 by ev-love

Ah, but the folks on the Right have god on their side:

"Dead flies cause the oil of the perfumer to send forth an evil odour; so doth a little folly outweigh wisdom and honour."

That's from Ecclesiastes, the same book that gave us:

"A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left"

Fri, 31 Oct 2008 10:51:00 UTC | #261991

troyboy's Avatar Comment 13 by troyboy

"I bit my tongue when I heard that Sarah Palin believed that dinosaurs and humans once lived side by side and that she and John McCain wanted creationism taught in the public schools. "

I heard palin wanted creationism taught but I haven't heard she believed that dinosaurs and humans once lived side by side nor have I heard that McCain has said the same. Can anyone point me to proof of this?

She is quite the nut job though.

Fri, 31 Oct 2008 10:53:00 UTC | #261996

markg's Avatar Comment 14 by markg

13. Comment #275663 by troyboy

Here's a news article concerning Palin's dinosaur beliefs:

Fri, 31 Oct 2008 10:59:00 UTC | #262004

Nastika's Avatar Comment 15 by Nastika

From September's LA Times: "Soon after Sarah Palin was elected mayor of the foothill town of Wasilla, Alaska, she startled a local music teacher by insisting in casual conversation that men and dinosaurs coexisted on an Earth created 6,000 years ago."

Fri, 31 Oct 2008 11:03:00 UTC | #262007

maton100's Avatar Comment 16 by maton100

The *only* fruit is Palin. Let's just hope she's not an organ donor for the sake of neuroscience.

Fri, 31 Oct 2008 11:05:00 UTC | #262010

George Lennan's Avatar Comment 17 by George Lennan

Yeah. I've been thinking today - doesn't happen often.... but rdubya's got a good point. We don't share a border with them over here, so maybe it wouldn't be such a bad thing if McCain & Palin got elected - it won't matter much to us. Then America can hit the buffers hard, make an absolute laughing stock of itself in the public eye regards its stance on science and come out of it with a kind of 'never again' immunisation. Or perhaps I'd be better off going back to not thinking at all.

Fri, 31 Oct 2008 11:23:00 UTC | #262017

Naturalist1's Avatar Comment 18 by Naturalist1

From Nastika and Markg...thank you for the links to the LA Times piece. Everyone is commenting on her young earth dinosaur stuff. What I found more shocking was her asking the town librarian what the proceedure would be for banning books. I guess she has little regard for the freedom of speech provisions of the US constitution.

Fri, 31 Oct 2008 11:38:00 UTC | #262021

robotaholic's Avatar Comment 19 by robotaholic

this may sound emotional (how unlike me) but ppl shouldn't HATE her, they should pitty her... she is uneducated, or misled, brainwashed, whatever you call it...and I remember when I was like that- I used to be a Jehovah's Witness and the stuff I believed was SOOOOOOOO stupid - I woke up, reexamined my life, made serious changes that completely affected my family and friends (pretty much lost them all) and I just can tell she's totally immersed in the religious indoctrinational bullshit which is similar to what I used to be in... no, you shouldn't vote for her or Mccain but seriously she never had a chance to be vice anyway lol -

anyway I really just mean some negative comments are a little overboard

In fact, she's an example of a pittiful, brainwashed, ignoramus- but she doesn't deserve hatred- She deserves pitty if you ask me -

Not trying to be confrontational -

Fri, 31 Oct 2008 11:42:00 UTC | #262023

prettygoodformonkeys's Avatar Comment 20 by prettygoodformonkeys

Natiska: thanks for the link.

Atheists and scientists have been called bigots because of their inolerance for religious superstition, most recently in defence of Sarah Palin's belief in a young earth.

From the definition of "Bigotry":

obstinate and unreasoning attachment of one's own belief and opinions, with narrow-minded intolerance of beliefs opposed to them
This obviously does not apply to a reasoned position, but certainly applies to the religious perspective.

Fri, 31 Oct 2008 11:52:00 UTC | #262027

Pilot22A's Avatar Comment 21 by Pilot22A

I remember in high school, in the 50's, how difficult it was to learn anything about evolution. Our school board was dominated by Mormon's and any learning about this subject was suppressed.

I did have sympathetic teachers who, now I realize, took great risks to find books for us to read on this subject.

To see that influential individuals, like Sarah Palin, remain in their cocoons and refuse to think, is very depressing.

Fri, 31 Oct 2008 11:56:00 UTC | #262028

robotaholic's Avatar Comment 22 by robotaholic

-pilot22A that's exactly what I was thinking but having trouble saying:

Fri, 31 Oct 2008 11:59:00 UTC | #262029

dvespertilio's Avatar Comment 24 by dvespertilio

Fri, 31 Oct 2008 12:11:00 UTC | #262034

SamKiddoGordon's Avatar Comment 23 by SamKiddoGordon

The only thing she has between her ears is the low humm of circling fruit flies.

There is brainwashed followers, and then there is braindead leaders. She is the latter.

Fri, 31 Oct 2008 12:11:00 UTC | #262033

soul_biscuit's Avatar Comment 25 by soul_biscuit

You can picture Palin one heart attack away from the big red button, and say stuff like this? The US is, for better or for worse, the most powerful nation in the world. This affects everyone.

Fri, 31 Oct 2008 12:12:00 UTC | #262035

dloubet's Avatar Comment 26 by dloubet

No. I can't pity them. I can't pity them because they are actively trying to kill me. If I contract a fatal disease that could have been cured by stem-cell research or experimentation on fruit flies, but that research was curtailed by these willfully ignorant assholes, then they murdered me.

Screw them.

Fri, 31 Oct 2008 12:16:00 UTC | #262039

robotaholic's Avatar Comment 27 by robotaholic

dloubet well I agree, so lets not elect them, but instead educate them- right?

Fri, 31 Oct 2008 12:30:00 UTC | #262041

Roger Stanyard's Avatar Comment 28 by Roger Stanyard

The Financial Times today did an op-ed piece that was absoutely scathing about Palin (and the Republicans in general). It stated that Palin was exceedingly ill-read (despite, BTW, the woman bneing a journalist), adding that she did not regularly read any magazines or journals. It basically presented a picture of a woman who is little better than a brainless bimbo.

The FT, which has already endosed Obama, went on to argue that the Republican Party in the USA is now in the process of imploding.

Today The Economist also came out and endosed Obama - IIRC it has consistently endorsed republic presidential candidates since I first starting reading it way back in 1981.

Anyone know what the position of the Wall Street Journal is in endorsing the candidates? What's its view on Palin?

Fri, 31 Oct 2008 12:43:00 UTC | #262046

Enlightenme..'s Avatar Comment 29 by Enlightenme..

"Please, please, please, Sarah, go back to Alaska, be a good, little, one-term governor and then disappear and never be heard from again!"

Don't misunderestimate this woman, or misoverestimate her constituency, she'll be back more polished in four years time, but for the top job, and after Obama has had an awful time trying to cope with a complete basketcase economy - she'll probably win.

Fri, 31 Oct 2008 12:47:00 UTC | #262048

Brian English's Avatar Comment 30 by Brian English

Enlightenme... you're not the only person who's suggested this...

Fri, 31 Oct 2008 12:55:00 UTC | #262052