← For many evangelicals, it will be the end of the world if Obama wins

For many evangelicals, it will be the end of the world if Obama wins - Comments

Lev-CapeTown's Avatar Comment 1 by Lev-CapeTown

I sometimes can't fathom how far these people have been removed from reality. They live in a little fairytale bubble, where nothing really matters, since god always has a plan.

Sun, 02 Nov 2008 14:38:00 UTC | #263066

Laurie Fraser's Avatar Comment 2 by Laurie Fraser

Correct, Lev. You read their statements and "WTF" keeps coursing from your lips. They do, indeed, live in a world of make-believe.

Sun, 02 Nov 2008 14:43:00 UTC | #263069

Caudimordax's Avatar Comment 3 by Caudimordax

I guess none of these people will, if Obama wins by a landslide, say "Well, I reckon it was the lord's will, so I'm going to accept it and support it." Will god have made a mistake? Or, as is more likely, will they interpret it a a victory for satan (who would then be more powerful than god, who is, of course, all powerful)?

Edit: Except James Krause, if I read it correctly?

Sun, 02 Nov 2008 14:46:00 UTC | #263072

Laurie Fraser's Avatar Comment 4 by Laurie Fraser

If we're lucky, Caudi, they'll be so depressed they'll all go and slit their wrists.

*sorry - insensitive*

Sun, 02 Nov 2008 14:48:00 UTC | #263077

dboy's Avatar Comment 5 by dboy

I read this and it just hits so many clichés that I don't want to believe it's true... but of course, it is. Thoroughly depressing.

Sun, 02 Nov 2008 14:59:00 UTC | #263084

Adey73's Avatar Comment 6 by Adey73

McCain, remember McCain, he still could win.

Sun, 02 Nov 2008 15:02:00 UTC | #263086

Ascaphus's Avatar Comment 7 by Ascaphus

...it is frustrating to see somebody become president who is a blatant liar...

Gotta love it.

Matt

Sun, 02 Nov 2008 15:04:00 UTC | #263090

blueollie's Avatar Comment 8 by blueollie

If Obama wins (I'd say that the likelihood is about 90 percent, if one believes the betting), I'll bet that our religious wingnuts would be much happier in the U. K. Right? ;-)

Sun, 02 Nov 2008 15:08:00 UTC | #263097

notsobad's Avatar Comment 9 by notsobad

So at least 25% of Americans are insane.

Sun, 02 Nov 2008 15:09:00 UTC | #263100

Diacanu's Avatar Comment 10 by Diacanu

..pro-life, pro-family world view..

Meaningless jargon.

Who the fuck on this planet is anti-life, and anti-family?

Yeah, I want mass-murder in the streets, and dysfunction, and divorce in every home.
*Eye roll*

It's code-speak for pro-fetus, anti-gay.
That's all it is.
And pro-fetus is anti-woman.
They don't give a fuck about born people.

So they can take their "world view", and cram it.

Sun, 02 Nov 2008 15:11:00 UTC | #263104

j.mills's Avatar Comment 11 by j.mills

So presumably he won't bother to vote, nor encourage anyone else to do so.

Sun, 02 Nov 2008 15:14:00 UTC | #263108

Caudimordax's Avatar Comment 12 by Caudimordax

"Roll on Tuesday! And let's hope they don't have to update www,sorryeverybody.com... "

Turn out the lights on http://www.palinaspresident.us/

Edit: Laurie - suicide is a sin.

Sun, 02 Nov 2008 15:20:00 UTC | #263114

social_misfit's Avatar Comment 13 by social_misfit

What I find most disturbing about this type of statement is how pervasive it is here in Colorado Springs. This is not some fringe element of the population here, to hazard a guess; I would say that it covers around 75% of the society. These people are absolutely convinced that they are witnessing the book of Relavations come to fruition. Laurie and Lev, I completely agree with your statements, to live in a society that is under this massive all encompassing mass delusion is very disheartening.

Sun, 02 Nov 2008 15:27:00 UTC | #263122

Roy_H's Avatar Comment 15 by Roy_H

To use the Yorkshire expression "They want putting in a bag and shaking up!"

Sun, 02 Nov 2008 15:29:00 UTC | #263126

Saber's Avatar Comment 14 by Saber

Why isn't there an easy way to explain that if the economy goes under it will cause far more real human suffering than the hypothetical suffering of of an "en souled" zygote with "personhood" status?

Sun, 02 Nov 2008 15:29:00 UTC | #263125

Szymanowski's Avatar Comment 16 by Szymanowski

Banning gay marriage, abortion and stem-cell research is Republican party OFFICIAL policy?!

I hadn't quite realised how institutionalized the bigots and the whackjobs are in the US. That's just appalling.

Sun, 02 Nov 2008 15:32:00 UTC | #263132

KiwiInOz's Avatar Comment 17 by KiwiInOz

social_misfit - they're always believing that it's the end times as predicted in Revelation. It's been a persistent theme for the last 2000 years. I remember the warnings in the early 80s when as a kid I attended a Baptist Church in New Zealand. Same warnings, still waiting.

Sun, 02 Nov 2008 15:34:00 UTC | #263135

theseanze's Avatar Comment 18 by theseanze

Let's support them! If the Bible gives good reason to believe Obama is the Anti-Christ, let this be known to everyone!

Then when he's in office and promoting peace, responsibility, and rationality, at least some will feel the bite of another nail in the coffin of Christianity. The things he stands for represent evil in the Evangelical mind, but if they notice that he's not all that bad, it will hopefully create some lovely cognitive dissonance. The thing is that change is scary because Americans have forgotten what it's like to have change, and what it might lead to.

Sun, 02 Nov 2008 15:47:00 UTC | #263153

stephenray's Avatar Comment 19 by stephenray

If I were American, I'd vote for Obama.

Although I like McCain's Oven Chips.

Sun, 02 Nov 2008 15:49:00 UTC | #263158

Heart of the Beast's Avatar Comment 20 by Heart of the Beast

Ugh. This stuff makes me sick. I can see Fungus on the Fanny from my window here in the Springs. It's painful... destroys the view of Pike's Peak.

But the positive news from the Evangelical Vatican is that Obama does lead in contributions here, for whatever that's worth.

Sun, 02 Nov 2008 16:11:00 UTC | #263177

robotaholic's Avatar Comment 21 by robotaholic

I think I want to be a stem cell researching married homosexual...

Sun, 02 Nov 2008 16:12:00 UTC | #263178

j.mills's Avatar Comment 22 by j.mills

Typo correction: in my post #11 I meant: www.sorryeverybody.com. Just been looking through the 'random' gallery on there, and it's still heartening to see all those good folks wishing Dubya hadn't gotten in again.

Sun, 02 Nov 2008 16:18:00 UTC | #263183

Beachbum's Avatar Comment 23 by Beachbum

Like National Socialism (Nazism) these Evangelicals need something to hate, something to rally around - if they would just do some reading, even the bible BLA.

Each year, he broadcasts to 200 million religious conservatives at home and abroad, and he reigns supreme in Colorado Springs since pastor Ted Haggard fell from grace after he was found to have solicited a male prostitute for sex and drugs.

200 hundred million is without a doubt an exaggeration...

But they just replace one lying Con with another. That, to me, is proof that the inculcating (meme) of infant minds is without a doubt child abuse. Richard Dawkins is more accurate about that than even he knows, and the mindset, it self, of religion promotes child abuse in many ways.

Wasn't it Albert Einstein who said that doing the same thing over and over again while expecting different results is insanity.

Sun, 02 Nov 2008 16:33:00 UTC | #263187

Eshto's Avatar Comment 24 by Eshto

"Pro-family"? What a crock. These people hate me and my family. They make me fucking sick.

Despite passing a ban on gay marriage in my state, my county voted to allow domestic partnerships. Come December 1st, I will at least have some rights, as opposed to none at all. Nothing compared to full marriage, but it's a start.

I think I'll tie cans and streamers to my car with a banner that reads: "just domestically partnered", and drive in circles around known anti-gay churches.

Mwa ha ha ha that should scare them good!

Sun, 02 Nov 2008 16:38:00 UTC | #263188

Enlightenme..'s Avatar Comment 25 by Enlightenme..

"Fearful on many fronts, they particularly fear for Israel if Obama wins"

And that after Obama declared to rapturous applause at the AIPAC conference that he supports Israel with Jerusalem as its Undivided capital.

..A position I believe he had to make a quick retraction on.

I hope this guy learns quick, and surrounds himself with good advisors.

Sun, 02 Nov 2008 16:43:00 UTC | #263190

LeeC's Avatar Comment 26 by LeeC

Just thought this should be repeated...

Sun, 02 Nov 2008 16:50:00 UTC | #263192

Border Collie's Avatar Comment 27 by Border Collie

Well, if, as they believe, EVERYTHING is in God's hands, why are they sweating it?

Sun, 02 Nov 2008 16:51:00 UTC | #263194

LeeC's Avatar Comment 28 by LeeC

James Borja, a youth pastor, said: "Right now, we are one of the few nations giving them support. They have the rightful ownership of that land, rather than the Arabs who covet it.

"rightful ownership of that land"... wonder where they get this idea from.

Oh yeah, a stupid 2,000 year old book - that they themselve wrote "We own this land because"

Lee

Sun, 02 Nov 2008 16:53:00 UTC | #263195

masubi's Avatar Comment 30 by masubi

"Truly, the Bible says of Israel, 'I will bless those who bless you, and curse those who curse you'."

Yes, and then it says in the same verse (in the original Hebrew, not the interpolated Christian version) "; and all the families of the earth shall bless themselves by you." The root, Hebrew word for 'bless' is "barach." That word literally means "to bend the knees." In other words, all the families of the earth are to bend their knees to Israel. We must all prostrate ourselves before them.

"God holds everything in his hand. There is no doubt in my mind that what happens on November 4th has been pre-ordained,"

Well, what's it going to be!? Is everything "pre-ordained" or do we have "free-will"? They can't have it both ways. They say we have free-will, we have to...look at all the evil in the world. But how can we have free-will if everything is already pre-ordained!? I chose this car because I like the color...oh wait, no...it's because God liked the color 6,000 years ago and made me pick this color today. Kinda sounds like "The Matrix"...as long as we let them think they have a choice, then the program will run as it should.

Come on everybody, let's read the Bible so we can get the story right.

Live a good life,

Masubi

Sun, 02 Nov 2008 16:56:00 UTC | #263198

black wolf's Avatar Comment 29 by black wolf

I believe he was, yes.

'Let's vote for that Dubya guy, he'll know what to do because he's got Jesus in his heart.'

'Oh man, that Dubya guy was a hypocrite, he just told us that to get our votes.'

'Let's vote for that MacPalin guy, he'll know what's right cause he's got Jesus in his heart.'

Batshit insane morons.

On CNN yesterday, they had a panel talking about religion in politics. They had six religious people standing around a table discussing for ten minutes which of the candidates had the mostest and the bestest faith. The Constitution, church/state separation, religious lobbying in politics, tax-exempt pastors endorsing candidates - not one mention of any of these issues. Nauseating.

Couldn't have been much worse if they had been discussing what the Bible recommends on what country to attack next.
Self-appointed prophets are already predicting the obliteration of Damascus (it's in the Bible, so it's gonna happen - even if we have to help bring it along).

This is 2-fucking-thousand-eight, you nitwits!

Sun, 02 Nov 2008 16:56:00 UTC | #263197