← Fred Phelps's son is an atheist: Running from hell

Fred Phelps's son is an atheist: Running from hell - Comments

Kit Finn's Avatar Comment 1 by Kit Finn

And people like Pastor Phelps say that 'Fundamentalist Atheists' are evil....

Mon, 03 Nov 2008 09:28:00 UTC | #263566

Tzsak's Avatar Comment 2 by Tzsak

Poor guy, well done to him.

Mon, 03 Nov 2008 09:34:00 UTC | #263573

Jeff (HandyGeek) Handy's Avatar Comment 3 by Jeff (HandyGeek) Handy

Damn. (Edit) This is exactly the kind of mental abuse RD is so strongly against; not to mention the associated justification of physical abuse.

Mon, 03 Nov 2008 09:35:00 UTC | #263574

Tzsak's Avatar Comment 4 by Tzsak

Hmm, Shirley seems to have replied on their website. The usual pleasantries it seems~

Mon, 03 Nov 2008 09:42:00 UTC | #263578

AfraidToDie's Avatar Comment 5 by AfraidToDie

I wonder if Nate knows about this website? If not, could we find his email and each of us let him know there is a lot of people who know there is no such thing as hell, and invite him to visit this clear thinking oasis?

Mon, 03 Nov 2008 09:44:00 UTC | #263579

Ex~'s Avatar Comment 6 by Ex~

The truth will set you free.

Mon, 03 Nov 2008 09:48:00 UTC | #263581

black wolf's Avatar Comment 7 by black wolf

Did Fred ever go to jail for being a child-abusing, wife-beating druggie? No.

Does religious freedom protect him from justice? Apparently yes.

Does it matter that he's quite probably mentally ill and evidentially dangerous? Obviously not.

What is going on?

I'm generally in favor of religious freedom, but this... THIS.

Yes, I wish the father of the bike kid had broken his neck.

Mon, 03 Nov 2008 09:53:00 UTC | #263582

DamnDirtyApe's Avatar Comment 8 by DamnDirtyApe

Everything in a nutshell.

And good old Louis Theroux too.

Mon, 03 Nov 2008 09:58:00 UTC | #263584

Caudimordax's Avatar Comment 9 by Caudimordax

I think it would be lovely if Nate knew about resources like this - and as long as he stayed away from the Palin threads, he could have his wish:

“That I just want peace. I want to not wake up fearful every morning.”

Mon, 03 Nov 2008 10:05:00 UTC | #263586

JFHalsey's Avatar Comment 10 by JFHalsey

What a terrible, terrible, terrible story. Horrible, through and through. The parts about Fred Phelps' abusiveness and drugs was so terrible I actually had to check the source to make sure this article was coming from an actual press agency, and not just some random blog.

I thought there would be a happy ending, what with this Nate finally coming out of christianity, but it cost him his marriage and his four kids'' If they got married in '86 and divorced in '05, that would put the kids still in the home, and their father moves away to Canada.

This is just a horrible story through and through, and it shows that the Middle East isn't the only place where religion utterly destroys peoples lives.

Mon, 03 Nov 2008 10:07:00 UTC | #263587

mdowe's Avatar Comment 11 by mdowe

Fred Phelps is such scum. I'm astonished somebody hasn't put a bullet through his head. And no, I'm not advocating it -- I am surprised it hasn't happened.

Mon, 03 Nov 2008 10:09:00 UTC | #263588

Caudimordax's Avatar Comment 12 by Caudimordax

10. Comment #277272 by JFHalsey

Losing the wife and children must have been awful. It seems that a lot of marriages (and friendships) can't survive that kind of change (see Dan Barker's "Losing Faith in Faith"). Although I knew one couple where she was a jehovah's whackjob and he was an atheist and I never had any idea how they worked that out.

Mon, 03 Nov 2008 10:12:00 UTC | #263590

severalspeciesof's Avatar Comment 13 by severalspeciesof

As Irate would probably say:

"Fred Phelps is a fucktard'...

'cept that's an insult to other fucktards...

Are there degrees of fucktardism?...

Mon, 03 Nov 2008 10:14:00 UTC | #263591

beanson's Avatar Comment 14 by beanson

Fred Phelps just puts into practice what most Christian men would like to do- bully, dominate those physically weaker, sow hatred and fear, promote prejudice...

Old Testament Goddy would love him

Mon, 03 Nov 2008 10:16:00 UTC | #263592

DiveMedic's Avatar Comment 15 by DiveMedic

I have to say that I do have a good idea of what Nate is going through in terms of being a hell-fearing atheist.

When you spend most of your life being certain of the existence of hell and the deceptive nature of Satan to lure you there, these certainties do not simply go away with a healthy dose of rational thinking.

I still have moments where I wonder if all that led me away from Christian faith could possibly be a trick to lure me into hellfire. These fears are easily alleviated by thinking about the absurdity of these beliefs for a few moments, but it goes to show just how deeply ingrained Christian dogma becomes if instilled in a young mind.

Mon, 03 Nov 2008 10:20:00 UTC | #263594

ScaryJerry1970's Avatar Comment 16 by ScaryJerry1970

Stories like this one are why I don't bother with horror films. The reality of humanity's monsters is far more frightening than anything someone could invent for a movie!

Mon, 03 Nov 2008 10:22:00 UTC | #263595

severalspeciesof's Avatar Comment 19 by severalspeciesof

14. Comment #277277 by beanson

Old Testament Goddy would love him

So would New testament goddy:

Matthew 10:34 - "I come not to bring peace, but to bring a sword"

Mon, 03 Nov 2008 10:27:00 UTC | #263598

Rantandreason's Avatar Comment 17 by Rantandreason

While I didn't have nearly as horrific a childhood as this man, I see alot of similarities in the way I thought as I gave up my faith. The utter fear of hell and the inner dissonance from understanding the truth of the matter but having this lingering boogey man in the back of your mind.

Mon, 03 Nov 2008 10:27:00 UTC | #263596

Ascaphus's Avatar Comment 18 by Ascaphus

...The parts about Fred Phelps' abusiveness and drugs was so terrible I actually had to check the source to make sure...

But what he's saying is that the physical abuse is not the hard part to live through. It's the psychological threats and punishment. My guess is that there are far more families where physical abuse does not occur, but the mental & emotional abuse is just as damaging.

Matt

Mon, 03 Nov 2008 10:27:00 UTC | #263597

ggab7768's Avatar Comment 20 by ggab7768

I would hope that Nate is aware of this sight.
It seems as though he needs to do things in his own time, but I'm sure it would help him to know that we all wish the best for him.
My upbringing came nowhere near what his was like. I just can't get my brain around that kind of torment.
That Nate is certainly a strong man, to pull himself away from it. Something to admire.

Mon, 03 Nov 2008 10:31:00 UTC | #263601

bluebird's Avatar Comment 21 by bluebird

I seem to recall one of the estranged sons visiting this site last year--think it was just a post or two.

An update per banning military funeral protests(MO):http://www.kansascity.com/115/story/869526.html

Comment #16: Ditto!!!!

Mon, 03 Nov 2008 10:33:00 UTC | #263602

MaxD's Avatar Comment 22 by MaxD

I had a mild catholic upbringing, and was not an alter boy during the tenure of the guy we all suspected of enjoying their company a little too much.
My parents seemed to take the approach that religion, any religion was good for growin kids. But among the kids and the parents there has always been this gallows humor about preists and alter boys. Dodging preists and the nonsense of hellfire was about the worst I had to deal with. Thank Odin.

This poor fellow though....

Mon, 03 Nov 2008 10:51:00 UTC | #263606

debaser71's Avatar Comment 23 by debaser71

What happened to "The Most Hated Woman in America?"

Mon, 03 Nov 2008 11:04:00 UTC | #263615

FatherNature's Avatar Comment 24 by FatherNature

This is very sad. I hope Nate finds peace and that Fred Phelps gets treatment for his mental illness. I suspect he was a victim of child abuse too.

BTW, when I read the subtitle, GROWING UP IN AMERICA’S MOST HATED FAMILY, I thought it was a story about an atheist family.

Mon, 03 Nov 2008 11:07:00 UTC | #263617

V'Ger's Avatar Comment 25 by V'Ger

It's terrible what some brain dead, and evil faith-heads can subject children too.

I recall from the Louis Theroux documentary that there was a teenage girl he became friends with - and she really looked about ready to leave.. even if she was trying hard to deny it.

I can't help but hope one day this guy will accidentally picket a Mafia funeral ;-)

Mon, 03 Nov 2008 11:17:00 UTC | #263620

InfuriatedSciTeacher's Avatar Comment 26 by InfuriatedSciTeacher

*cringing* What's the statute of limitations on child abuse in Kansas' This degenerate belongs in prison.

Apparently we're still having issues with question marks...

Mon, 03 Nov 2008 11:17:00 UTC | #263621

History_Junky's Avatar Comment 27 by History_Junky

"More recently, WBC planned to protest the funeral of Tim McLean, the young man who was beheaded on a Greyhound bus. However, they were barred from crossing the Canadian border. It is little wonder that Louis Theroux’s BBC documentary on the Phelps’ was titled The Most Hated Family in America."

I understand that allot of the world sees Canadians as pacifists, but I will tell you this, if these bastards actually did this they'd end up back over the border in an ambulance.

Mon, 03 Nov 2008 11:18:00 UTC | #263622

a non e-moose's Avatar Comment 28 by a non e-moose

wbc is a godsent for showing people how ugly religion can be. Religious may say it's a straw man, and few religious are like that, but I say that it's the moderates are the perversion of true faith not the fundamentalists.

Mon, 03 Nov 2008 11:22:00 UTC | #263625

firstelder_d's Avatar Comment 29 by firstelder_d

Definitely. When I read that these 'people' we're coming to do that, I was furious. Apparently alot of people offered to protect the McLean family, I would have been one of them if I wasn't so far away.

Mon, 03 Nov 2008 11:41:00 UTC | #263629

cerad's Avatar Comment 30 by cerad

Not to burst anyone's bubble but this story is an obvious fake. Hit a child with the equivalent of a baseball bat 200 hundred times and that child will be dead.

Mon, 03 Nov 2008 11:46:00 UTC | #263630