← ELECTION DAY IN THE USA. GO VOTE.

ELECTION DAY IN THE USA. GO VOTE. - Comments

BrandySpears's Avatar Comment 1 by BrandySpears

RichardDawkins.net still remains silent on the Mormon Church trying to hijack the California Consitution: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q28UwAyzUkE

Tue, 04 Nov 2008 09:35:00 UTC | #264256

sunnym's Avatar Comment 2 by sunnym

Californians, check out Michael Shermer on Proposition 8: http://skepticblog.org/2008/11/04/gay-marriage/

Christianity remains mired in pre-civil rights, pre-enlightenment, even pre-scientific medieval thinking, basing their beliefs on a few biblical passages, most famously Leviticus 18:22: “Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.” This prohibition is tucked in between other passages in Leviticus and Deuteronomy that should be repeated every time someone cites the above passage. (All biblical passages cited within are from the Revised Standard Version.) For example, for professional women thinking of adorning themselves in business attire that may resemble men’s business ware (or for guys who dig cross dressing), Deuteronomy 22:5 does not look kindly on such behaviors: “A woman shall not wear anything that pertains to a man, nor shall a man put on a woman’s garment; for whoever does these things is an abomination to the Lord your God.”

An even worse abomination is a rebellious child. Deuteronomy 21:18–21 offers this parental moral guideline: “If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son, who will not obey the voice of his father or the voice of his mother, and, though they chastise him, will not give heed to them, then his father and his mother shall take hold of him and bring him out to the elders of his city at the gate of the place where he lives, and they shall say to the elders of his city, ‘This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton and a drunkard.’ Then all the men of the city shall stone him to death with stones; so you shall purge the evil from your midst; and all Israel shall hear, and fear.”

If that isn’t jarring enough, here is the Bible’s recommendation on how to deal with women who may or may not have had sex before marriage. According to Deuteronomy 22:13–21, “If any man takes a wife, and goes in to her, and then spurns her, and charges her with shameful conduct, and brings an evil name upon her, saying, ‘I took this woman, and when I came near her, I did not find in her the tokens of virginity,’ then the father of the young woman and her mother shall take and bring out the tokens of her virginity to the elders of the city in the gate.” (For those not accustomed to reading between the biblical lines, the phrase “goes in to her” should be taken literally, and “the tokens of virginity” means the hymen and the blood on the sheet from a virgin’s first sexual experience.) If the father of the bride can produce the tokens of virginity, then he “shall spread the garment before the elders of the city. Then the elders of that city shall take the man [the husband] and whip him; and they shall fine him a hundred shekels of silver, and give them to the father of the young woman, because he has brought an evil name upon a virgin of Israel; and she shall be his wife.”

However, lo to the woman who has dared to have sex before marriage. “But if the thing is true, that the tokens of virginity were not found in the young woman, then they shall bring out the young woman to the door of her father’s house, and the men of her city shall stone her to death with stones, because she has wrought folly in Israel by playing the harlot in her father’s house; so you shall purge the evil from the midst of you.”

Tue, 04 Nov 2008 09:46:00 UTC | #264265

Kmita's Avatar Comment 3 by Kmita

Filled out my absentee ballot just a minute ago. Yup, I got an absentee ballot and I'll end up just walking it to the booth when I go to college. I procrastinated this election, so there's no point mailing it now. Ultimately, I voted against prop 8 (watch the first comments video). As far as candidates go, I left it blank. I'm not very happy with my choices, suffice it to say. I'm not going to play a "lesser of two evils" game this time around. I'm just not going to do it.

Tue, 04 Nov 2008 09:49:00 UTC | #264269

stptrck75's Avatar Comment 4 by stptrck75

Voted for the big O this morning in Upstate NY. Only a 20 min wait.

Tue, 04 Nov 2008 09:56:00 UTC | #264273

Don_Quix's Avatar Comment 5 by Don_Quix

I voted two weeks ago :p

Tue, 04 Nov 2008 09:57:00 UTC | #264275

Excium313's Avatar Comment 6 by Excium313

I sent in my absentee ballot about a month ago. I of course voted for Obama since I am doing scientific research in molecular biology and on drosophila. I am from Michigan and voted yes for prop. 2. But I have heard already from friends and family back home that they have had some long waits. The waits are longer than they ever could remember. My one friend went before he had class at 10 am and was over an hour late. He told me he waited in line for a little over two hours. While it sounds long it is a good thing to hear because it means more people are voting this year than in previous years.

Tue, 04 Nov 2008 10:01:00 UTC | #264278

skee360's Avatar Comment 7 by skee360

The world will not be surprise on whom amerikkka votes for.
I hope none of you think amerikkka will vote for a black man.
This will never happen. amerikkka would vote for hitler before they vote for a black man. The voter fraud has already started across amerikkka.

Tue, 04 Nov 2008 10:04:00 UTC | #264279

g-21-lto's Avatar Comment 8 by g-21-lto

I voted absentee last week. That's one vote for Obama in Virginia, and a vote for the democratic senate candidate, Warner, who seems to have a nice grasp on reality when it comes to energy policy and taxes.

Tue, 04 Nov 2008 10:06:00 UTC | #264281

IaninPA's Avatar Comment 9 by IaninPA

Hope for the best, but be ready for the worst...

What the hell is that meant to mean exactly'(question mark)

Tue, 04 Nov 2008 10:09:00 UTC | #264282

Josh Timonen's Avatar Comment 10 by Josh Timonen

I meant the possibility of very long lines, like in the picture directly below the sentence. - Josh

Tue, 04 Nov 2008 10:10:00 UTC | #264283

cristinabories's Avatar Comment 12 by cristinabories

And lets hope that Elizabeth Dole loses big as well. She levied the most grevious of insults to her oponent: being godless (whaaaaat') Here is a link to the news: http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/2008-11-03-dole-hagan_N.htm
Her oponent does not cover herself in glory by responding with a libel suit at this acusation of atheism, apparently equivalent to eating babies.

Tue, 04 Nov 2008 10:12:00 UTC | #264285

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 11 by Steve Zara

Comment #277970 by Ian Bamlett

Indeed. How is someone supposed to be ready for McCain/Palin?

Tue, 04 Nov 2008 10:12:00 UTC | #264284

Excium313's Avatar Comment 13 by Excium313

well if you are super religious then you are ready of the crazies McCain/Palin. The scariest part is how dominate they are in parts of the US. A friend of mine that I go to college with says that the main reason she is voting for McCain/Palin is because they are pro-life and anti-gay. She doesn't care about any other issues. Just goes to show you what the Christians care about. It's quit sad really.

Tue, 04 Nov 2008 10:15:00 UTC | #264288

Bonzai's Avatar Comment 14 by Bonzai

Voting day should be a Holiday is the U.S. It is ridiculous that people have to wait for hours to vote, it is a sure way to discourage many working people from voting.

It took me only 5 minutes to vote in the Canadian federal election. Our elections are done in paper ballots. No fancy computers that you may end up voting for the wrong candidate if you touch the screen at the wrong spot or touch it twice because you thought the first touch didn't register. Paper ballots and efficient, cheap and reliable, they are counted and tallied soon after the poll closed.

Tue, 04 Nov 2008 10:17:00 UTC | #264292

hungarianelephant's Avatar Comment 15 by hungarianelephant

Then they'd be off every second Tuesday ...

Tue, 04 Nov 2008 10:18:00 UTC | #264294

Republic512's Avatar Comment 17 by Republic512

I agree with Kmita. I just cannot vote for either of these candidates.

"This year, we have running for president a warmonger who's a reluctant socialist versus a socialist who's a reluctant warmonger."

Tue, 04 Nov 2008 10:19:00 UTC | #264296

Rockshell's Avatar Comment 16 by Rockshell

Voted by absentee ballot a few days ago. Regardless of the results, I'm leaving my Obama/Biden magnet on my car, right next to my FSM emblem and my Happy Human sticker.

In my state (Washington) we have an extremely close gubernatorial race. I can't bear the thought of Mr. Anti-Embryonic-Stem-Cell-Research Dino Rossi winning the election.

Tue, 04 Nov 2008 10:19:00 UTC | #264295

DarwinsPitbull's Avatar Comment 18 by DarwinsPitbull

Excium313

Is that any worse then some black people voting for Obama just because he is black? You even have white people voting for him just because he is black.

Tue, 04 Nov 2008 10:20:00 UTC | #264297

HumanisticJones's Avatar Comment 19 by HumanisticJones

Voted... got there when the polls opened at 7am to find to my amusement that people had been there since about 6am. Had to vote in a church though, with a nice "I will repent." sign displayed next to the table where I get my voting machine card. If only I could have voted at a school like my partner got to.

Tue, 04 Nov 2008 10:22:00 UTC | #264299

bobsully's Avatar Comment 20 by bobsully

Voted early, before today. I've been on the phone providing reminders and polling place information. My wife is still canvassing in a swing-state, across the river.

Tue, 04 Nov 2008 10:25:00 UTC | #264300

Gregg Townsend's Avatar Comment 21 by Gregg Townsend

18. Comment #277985 by DarwinsPitbull

I voted for the white guy... well, he's half-white anyway. Now, I had better reasons than race as motivation; for instance, his running-mate isn't Sarah Palin.

Tue, 04 Nov 2008 10:25:00 UTC | #264302

Dhamma's Avatar Comment 22 by Dhamma

I hate it when people are told to vote. If they say "Educate yourself - Then vote", I'd be fine with it, but everyone thinks it's important just to vote.. I don't get that. The last thing I'd want is for people to ruin an election by making a vote they have no idea how to motivate.

A friend of mine once voted for the centre party in Sweden - why? Because they were the most in the middle out of the seven established parties.
Would you really want such people to vote only to have a high participation? Ridiculous.

Anyway - Go Obama!

Tue, 04 Nov 2008 10:26:00 UTC | #264303

MBC Morgan's Avatar Comment 23 by MBC Morgan

DP

Is that any worse than some white people voting against Obama just because he is black?

Tue, 04 Nov 2008 10:27:00 UTC | #264306

Excium313's Avatar Comment 24 by Excium313

DarwinsPitbull

I guess not but at least they are not voting because of religious preference. I have many black friends from back home, Detroit, and most are anti-gay. They hate "homos" as they call them because one it is against their religion and against their society but they are still not voting for McCain/Palin. I was just trying to prove a point that many religious people vote based on their religious beliefs and nothing else.

Tue, 04 Nov 2008 10:28:00 UTC | #264309

dvespertilio's Avatar Comment 26 by dvespertilio

I voted early over a week ago. Neither candidate is perfect, but Obama is certainly the better of the two viable choices. Let's hope enough Americans agree with me!

Tue, 04 Nov 2008 10:31:00 UTC | #264311

Tezcatlipoca's Avatar Comment 25 by Tezcatlipoca

re 277985 Tu Quoque fallacy

Tue, 04 Nov 2008 10:31:00 UTC | #264310

Nocivel's Avatar Comment 27 by Nocivel

Just voted in Connecticut. No lines at the polls. I did however get 3 cups of free Starbucks coffee, so I hope its not decided too early in the night...

Tue, 04 Nov 2008 10:33:00 UTC | #264313

Bandit 19's Avatar Comment 28 by Bandit 19

Just finished voting against Palin. I feel much better now. Thanks for caring.

I may have been only middle aged white male in South Carolina that was clearly not an infected godbot pulling the lever for Jesus.

Tue, 04 Nov 2008 10:34:00 UTC | #264316

Isaksson's Avatar Comment 30 by Isaksson

I've been following the mainstream media articles here from Sweden, downloaded some stuff on the subject and browsed around some, and I can say that McCain gives me nightmares. (Well, not really.. I cant even remember if I ever had nightmares, but you know what I'm trying to say.) And that Palin woman! She scares the crap out of me. I am sure I don't need to go into details as you all probably know this topic better than me.

I do not usually judge people for having their tounge in a knot when speaking, as I try to listen to what is said, not how it's said. This time, however, I am amazed that what is said from McCain and Palin most often are both poorly presented and idiotic. In my opinion, they seem to represent the US government to the fullest at present. My opinion in general of the US is as follows. Wonderful geographic landscapes, Well mannered and generous people but a totally arsewipe political system.

Tue, 04 Nov 2008 10:36:00 UTC | #264318

DarwinsPitbull's Avatar Comment 29 by DarwinsPitbull

Excium313

I really don't see a difference between them. You are saying its better to vote on skin color than it is to vote on religious belief. One is not better than the other though. If anything I would have to say that at least voting on religious belief means that you are voting for issues. Whether its about gay people or abortion, its still an issue, while voting for someone just because they are black is not.

Tue, 04 Nov 2008 10:36:00 UTC | #264317