← Obama will move to veto Bush laws

Obama will move to veto Bush laws - Comments

Naturalist1's Avatar Comment 1 by Naturalist1

Oh my...first post. Have never had the honour before.
For me the list is long. There are many things Obama should get rid of right away. Besides the above listed should be, Guantanemo Bay Prison, large portions of the Patriot Act, scrapping of the department of homeland security,restrictions on American media prohibiting them from showing things like flag drapped coffins etc. and general restorations of the rights Americans had before 911.
I have a theory which may explain why the world has become such a crazy, nuts, dangerous and demented place.
The reason is that G.W.Bush has lowered the collective IQ of the world by about 3 points.
There got it out...GO OBAMA!

Sun, 09 Nov 2008 19:40:00 UTC | #267416

RedPen's Avatar Comment 2 by RedPen

Sun, 09 Nov 2008 19:46:00 UTC | #267417

Frankus1122's Avatar Comment 3 by Frankus1122

Those laws that are fear based or the result of religious thought (God's whisper) should be the first to go. I am looking forward to reason.

How can you argue with reason?

Well, you use reason.

What is most reasonable should prevail.

Yea!

Sun, 09 Nov 2008 19:49:00 UTC | #267418

Cartomancer's Avatar Comment 4 by Cartomancer

Good news on those stem cells and all that civil liberties stuff. Sadly no country-wide gay marriage act to scotch proposition 8 unfortunately, but it's good as far as it goes...

Sun, 09 Nov 2008 19:51:00 UTC | #267419

tvictor's Avatar Comment 5 by tvictor

NICE

Sun, 09 Nov 2008 20:03:00 UTC | #267422

Enlightenme..'s Avatar Comment 6 by Enlightenme..

Watching Gore Vidal interviewed by Henry Rollins, or Frost on Al-jazeera (ok they're all a bit 'out there') it sounds like the patriot act needs looking into - as well as Gitmo & renditions.
His opinion seems to be that removal of Habeas Corpus is the greatest threat since Nazi Germany.

Henry Rollins on Evolution:

And, though his isolationist preferred alternate history would have left us speaking German, he did mention that it came from Magna Carta!

Sun, 09 Nov 2008 20:09:00 UTC | #267424

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 7 by mordacious1

The list of crap Bush did is so long. Where to start, illegal wiretaps would be #1 with me, but I'd also like to see something in the line of Kyoto again.

Sun, 09 Nov 2008 20:09:00 UTC | #267425

Wosret's Avatar Comment 8 by Wosret

All good news. I do hope to hear more good news as well. Perhaps the type of news Carto wants to hear...though somehow I am less than optimistic about that one.

Sun, 09 Nov 2008 20:10:00 UTC | #267426

Mango's Avatar Comment 9 by Mango

Lame-duck presidents often put forward despicable policies and grant pardons just before leaving office. For instance, Bill Clinton pardoned Mark Rich in the last hours of his presidency because Rich's wife made large donations to the Democratic party and Clinton Library. So it's great to see Mr. Obama taking these proactive efforts before he takes office, but I'll have my eye on him even more intently as he leaves.

Sun, 09 Nov 2008 20:15:00 UTC | #267427

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 10 by mordacious1

Gay marriage would have to come from the Supreme Court (fat chance with 5 catholic justices) or from Congress. Obama can only sign the legislation.

Sun, 09 Nov 2008 20:15:00 UTC | #267428

Mr0Joshua's Avatar Comment 11 by Mr0Joshua

How about dismantling the Office of Community and Faith Based Initiatives that was illegally created by Executive Order and funnels money into evangelical causes. Obama has pledged to keep it and put the focus on Community. But I say if your going to create an Office to support community action create through Congress and build in some real oversight.

Sun, 09 Nov 2008 20:18:00 UTC | #267430

PeeJayBee's Avatar Comment 12 by PeeJayBee

This article really made me smile!

says Cartomancer:
"Good news on those stem cells and all that civil liberties stuff. Sadly no country-wide gay marriage act to scotch proposition 8 unfortunately, but it's good as far as it goes.."

Could Obama veto the Gay marriage act if he wanted to? I'm not from the US and unsure of exactly how much power the president really has.

Sun, 09 Nov 2008 20:21:00 UTC | #267431

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 13 by mordacious1

"Could Obama veto the Gay marriage act if he wanted to?"

Nope

Sun, 09 Nov 2008 20:24:00 UTC | #267433

Enlightenme..'s Avatar Comment 14 by Enlightenme..

Carto's sort of proposition'll probably have to wait till second term I reckon, he doesn't sound like he's into burning bridges.

But full gay equality, in every way, including 'whatever necessary' 'enwidening' to the definition of the word marriage, nothing less than this is the rubicon I hope he could lead us across eventually.

I have heard, that Prop 8 had a heavy black vote, so, if some people like Jesse Jackson want(-wanted) to suggest 'he wasn't there' in the 60's then lets see them on board. (or does that sound all rong. I dunno)

I already hate having to live in a world where we are made to live with 'special' words like 'civil partnership'.

Sun, 09 Nov 2008 20:25:00 UTC | #267434

~manic-depressive's Avatar Comment 15 by ~manic-depressive

I have heard, that Prop 8 had a heavy black vote...

I have heard this too. I was both unsurprised and disappointed. If anyone can identify the source of this piece of information, that would be useful.

Sun, 09 Nov 2008 20:58:00 UTC | #267438

Wosret's Avatar Comment 16 by Wosret

The oppressee has become the oppressor. As they said on the daily show.

Sun, 09 Nov 2008 21:00:00 UTC | #267439

Enlightenme..'s Avatar Comment 17 by Enlightenme..

"source"

Uhh..
Telemedia

It's complex.
Liberation theology (I s'pose) and films like the fantasticly entertaining and yet, and yet, rather unfortunately 'burdened', 'Amistad'

Sun, 09 Nov 2008 21:04:00 UTC | #267440

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 18 by mordacious1

Comment #281158 by ~manic-depressive

Here is a good article about the black vote and Prop. 8:

Some exit polls are reporting that blacks voted up to 70% for Prop 8 . As I discussed earlier, the black vote is a small % of the voters in CA, but it is sad that people who are discriminated against themselves can support such a Prop. It is said to be a church thing, more blacks attend church by % than whites.

As an aside, my wife's supervisor in a mormon and said she contributed $3000 for Prop 8 . I'd like to tell her what a bigoted c*** she is, but we need the paycheck.

Sun, 09 Nov 2008 21:33:00 UTC | #267443

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 19 by mordacious1

Sun, 09 Nov 2008 22:26:00 UTC | #267453

Raynor's Avatar Comment 20 by Raynor

@ Carto: The ACLU has a good chance (as far as I can tell, but I'm no constitutional lawyer) of winning their case reversing Prop 8:

Also, I heard whispers a while back of Obama wanting to abolish the Don't Ask, Don't Tell policy so that we stop losing talented men and women in our armed forces.

I have a friend who would, the day that Obama abolishes it, re-up.

Edit: typo

Sun, 09 Nov 2008 23:02:00 UTC | #267456

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 21 by Stafford Gordon

It will be interesting to see what cunning stunts the cunning stunt pullers will pull trying stop the rescinding or reversing of the antediluvian legislation put in place by by the chief cunning stunt puller and his cunnung stunt pulling friends.

What was a "hanging chad" anyway?

Mon, 10 Nov 2008 00:01:00 UTC | #267464

mmurray's Avatar Comment 22 by mmurray

What was a "hanging chad" anyway?

A chad is the name given to the bit of card punched out of voting cards by some automated voting machines. Part of the Florida, Jeb Bush fiasco in 2000 was an argument over hanging chads -- which were chads which had not been completely punched out.

Google knows all

Michael

Mon, 10 Nov 2008 00:05:00 UTC | #267466

Madphatcat's Avatar Comment 23 by Madphatcat

Uh yeah. The title of this submission is *wrong.* There is no 'veto' here. A veto is when the President overrides Congress. You know, actual legislation? A President can sign off on legislation and have it become law, or veto it. A President *cannot* override laws by veto that are already on the books.

BUT, and this is a big, there are things called executive orders which have nothing to do with Congress. Whatever executive orders that Bush has made that are not enshrined in any actual statutes can be overridden by Obama making executive orders of his own.

Mon, 10 Nov 2008 00:06:00 UTC | #267468

Fuller's Avatar Comment 24 by Fuller

This is great to see, a similar feeling for me as when Rudd came into power here in Australia and made a couple of swift moves. Signed the Kyoto protocol, and apologised to Indigenous Australians.

Nothing much appears to have happened with our government since then though...oh well

Mon, 10 Nov 2008 00:12:00 UTC | #267470

dochmbi's Avatar Comment 25 by dochmbi

What is the lesser evil? Drilling for oil in your own country causing damage to your own environment, or invading other countries to gain control of their oil?

Mon, 10 Nov 2008 00:15:00 UTC | #267471

Thor'Ungal's Avatar Comment 26 by Thor'Ungal

Comment #281191 by dochmbi

False Dichotomy. Do neither, ween your country off oil altogether, pay market value to other sovereign nations for what oil you still need.

reminds me of a similar question:

"which is the lesser evil. Beating your wife or abusing your children."

Neither, get help.

Meh,

Thor'Ungal

Mon, 10 Nov 2008 00:40:00 UTC | #267475

dochmbi's Avatar Comment 27 by dochmbi

Ok fair enough. But I was under the impression that the reason the US invades those countries in the middle-east is for oil, right? But at the same time they don't drill their own oil.

Mon, 10 Nov 2008 00:57:00 UTC | #267477

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 28 by Stafford Gordon

I'm sorry! My hanging chad question was rhetorical; but thanks anyway.

And of course "cheif cunning stunt puller" should have read "cunning stunt puller in cheif" I do apologise.

Mon, 10 Nov 2008 01:45:00 UTC | #267489

Corylus's Avatar Comment 29 by Corylus

<!-- Be sure tags are closed -->Rachel Maddow on the black vote and prop 8.

Mon, 10 Nov 2008 02:28:00 UTC | #267507

Dhamma's Avatar Comment 30 by Dhamma

Obama seems so reasonable, he may actually become an atheist.

So, whenever the highly disguised member-name "Amabo" shows up, we should be extra helpful!

Mon, 10 Nov 2008 02:30:00 UTC | #267511