← I'm Not One Of Those 'Love Thy Neighbor' Christians

I'm Not One Of Those 'Love Thy Neighbor' Christians - Comments

binlid's Avatar Comment 1 by binlid

Ahh ...as james joyce said shite and onions

Thu, 20 Nov 2008 14:52:00 UTC | #273907

Cluebot's Avatar Comment 2 by Cluebot

THE ONION IS FAKE NEWS

Was that note really necessary here? I do hope not...

Thu, 20 Nov 2008 14:59:00 UTC | #273910

Josh Timonen's Avatar Comment 3 by Josh Timonen

Was that note really necessary here?

YES (see past onion posts).

Thu, 20 Nov 2008 15:08:00 UTC | #273914

ty90's Avatar Comment 4 by ty90

Hey everyone, it is my birthday tomorrow : the 21 of nov.
I was born 1990.
I know there are plenty of older and wiser people on this site so, any advice on being 18?

Thu, 20 Nov 2008 15:10:00 UTC | #273915

Goldy's Avatar Comment 5 by Goldy

ty90
Enjoy life, be responsible and remember one day you'll be just like those old fogies who don't, apparently, have a clue ;-)

Oh, and if you want children, don't wait until you're 40. They're bloody tiring!

Thu, 20 Nov 2008 15:13:00 UTC | #273917

Eshto's Avatar Comment 6 by Eshto

@ty90:

Yeah here's some good advice: when you post comments on internet forums, make them relevant to the topic under discussion.

Happy birthday.

Thu, 20 Nov 2008 15:15:00 UTC | #273918

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 7 by Steve Zara

Comment #287732 by ty90

Keep on learning, and stay skeptical. Every decade of your life, there will be major discoveries that will make some of the science you learn in the previous decade look outdated.

I have seen things in my life that I only dreamed of when I was your age - pictures of solar systems, of atoms, and from the surface of a moon of Saturn. You have an exciting life ahead.

Edit: Ignore Eshto!

Forums are anarchic, and go their own way. Enjoy the freedom!

Thu, 20 Nov 2008 15:17:00 UTC | #273919

Goldy's Avatar Comment 8 by Goldy

as well as mobile phones not shaped like a brick (and as heavy....)
Dare say you'll be seeing things like this happening

Thu, 20 Nov 2008 15:20:00 UTC | #273921

The Truth, the light's Avatar Comment 9 by The Truth, the light

Cluebot. It can be extremely difficult to tell the difference between religious satire and seriously held religious beliefs.

Thu, 20 Nov 2008 15:21:00 UTC | #273922

crazyivan498's Avatar Comment 10 by crazyivan498

The onion is fake satirical news. I read somewhere that the editor of the Onion is an atheist. You can tell when you read some of the stories like this one

Thu, 20 Nov 2008 15:24:00 UTC | #273924

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 11 by Steve Zara

Comment #287738 by Goldy

Mobile phones like a brick were enough for me. I don't understand why people wanted more.

Thu, 20 Nov 2008 15:25:00 UTC | #273925

tvictor's Avatar Comment 12 by tvictor

"...when the Apostles were visited by the Holy Spirit, who took the form of cloven tongues of fire hovering just above their heads. You know, basic common sense stuff."

I see.......

Thu, 20 Nov 2008 15:26:00 UTC | #273926

decius's Avatar Comment 13 by decius

<!-- Be sure tags are closed -->Comment #287736 by Steve Zara

when I was your age

Before the Industrial Revolution.

Thu, 20 Nov 2008 15:27:00 UTC | #273927

phatbat's Avatar Comment 14 by phatbat

4. Comment #287732 by ty90

Happy Birthday ty90.

Thu, 20 Nov 2008 15:28:00 UTC | #273928

Eshto's Avatar Comment 15 by Eshto

"Edit: Ignore Eshto!

Forums are anarchic, and go their own way.!"

Except for all the ones with guidelines and stricter moderators.

Speaking of which ty90, beware older people, your youth makes them feel nostalgic and slightly regretful and they'll want to live vicariously through you, so they'll tell you to enjoy every precious moment of your life, don't listen to anyone else and throw caution to the wind! Even though that would probably lead to a whole lot of trouble for you.

Ah, romantic idealism...

Thu, 20 Nov 2008 15:30:00 UTC | #273929

decius's Avatar Comment 16 by decius

<!-- Be sure tags are closed -->Comment #287732 by ty90

You have already found your way to the site of a great and inspiring role model. I am positive that you are a smart fellow and that you need little advice from us. Just stay the course.
I echo Steve's sentiments, too.

Happy birthday.

Thu, 20 Nov 2008 15:31:00 UTC | #273930

Goldy's Avatar Comment 17 by Goldy

Comment #287742 by Steve Zara
You luddite, you :-)
Can I also mention the internet today (we had JANET, as I recall, and not everyone used it) and the widespread availabilty of computers (at least, in the developed parts of the globe) to take full advantege of said medium :-)

Thu, 20 Nov 2008 15:31:00 UTC | #273931

Goldy's Avatar Comment 18 by Goldy

Eshto - I just assumed you were playing the part of the old fogie ty90 is going to become ;-)

Thu, 20 Nov 2008 15:32:00 UTC | #273932

Goldy's Avatar Comment 20 by Goldy

ty90 - more you get to see that Thatcher's years never really revealed to me

You are one lucky dude!

Thu, 20 Nov 2008 15:35:00 UTC | #273934

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 19 by mordacious1

Yes, we should all post things relative to the topic. In case anyone is wondering if the U.S. will ever lose its dominance in basketball:

Thu, 20 Nov 2008 15:35:00 UTC | #273933

Eshto's Avatar Comment 21 by Eshto

"In case anyone is wondering if the U.S. will ever lose its dominance in basketball:"

We still have dominance in something?!?

Thu, 20 Nov 2008 15:37:00 UTC | #273935

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 22 by Steve Zara

Ty90-

As decius says, Richard Dawkins is a wonderful role model. There can be no better scientist than someone like him who promotes his ideas with passion, but when he finds out he is wrong, he celebrates it and points this out in his books, and finds it exciting.

Emulate Dawkins. Be passionate about your ideas, but also be that rare person - someone who, when they find they are wrong, treat it positively as part of your education.

I think there are few greater and more satisfying things than intense intelligent debate between people who disagree, but respect each other.

Thu, 20 Nov 2008 15:40:00 UTC | #273936

Sciros's Avatar Comment 23 by Sciros

hah mordacious, if only dribbling were worth points in basketball.

The US will stay dominant in basketball for at least the next 10 years, and probably longer. Our pros are simply far more athletic than those in other countries, and with international basketball becoming more like NBA in terms of rules, I don't see things getting any easier for the rest of the world.

Thu, 20 Nov 2008 15:46:00 UTC | #273938

Mark Jones's Avatar Comment 24 by Mark Jones

Comment #287748 by Goldy

we had JANET, as I recall, and not everyone used it

I miss Compuserve. But not much. The joy of waiting 5 minutes for a little picture!

Thu, 20 Nov 2008 15:47:00 UTC | #273939

Sciros's Avatar Comment 25 by Sciros

ty90, I recommend the W.W.B.D. approach to life. Similar to W.W.J.D. but everyone knows Jesus would just pussy out and go die on a cross, which is why What Would Batman Do is so much more awesome.

Thu, 20 Nov 2008 15:48:00 UTC | #273940

ev-love's Avatar Comment 26 by ev-love

4. Comment #287732 by ty90 on November 20, 2008 at 3:10 pm

Goldy's advice is pretty good, ty90 (especially the bit about children!) but I'm sure I'm a LOT older than he is...

The bad news is: it never gets any easier...the good news: you never really stop being 18!

Also, statistically, I'll be dead in the next 5-10 years.

Maybe I won't be so brave when the time comes, but right now that doesn't worry me at all. I love my kids and my friends and I sure as hell don't need Creepy Jesus!

I love life. One day I'll fall asleep. That's it!

ev-love

Thu, 20 Nov 2008 15:49:00 UTC | #273941

Red Nomad's Avatar Comment 27 by Red Nomad

This thread seems to have gone a bit off track, but happy birthday anyway ty90.

On another topic, I agree with Cluebot. Telling everone that the onion is fake news sort of takes half the fun out it. I suppose there might be a few people who don't know what the onion is - If there are I think they should probably be left to figure this out for themselves.

Thu, 20 Nov 2008 15:51:00 UTC | #273942

j.mills's Avatar Comment 28 by j.mills

Steve said:

...attack ships in formation off the shoulder of Orion. All those moments will be lost... :)

And for ty90: I've always been too much of a wuss to practice this, but: It's better to regret having done something than to regret not having done it!

Thu, 20 Nov 2008 15:52:00 UTC | #273944

decius's Avatar Comment 29 by decius

Comment #287761 by j.mills

Brilliant!

Thu, 20 Nov 2008 15:53:00 UTC | #273945

Eshto's Avatar Comment 30 by Eshto

Ty90:

Also, the left lane is for passing. If you want to drive at a goddamn snail's pace then move over to the right

(reverse these directions if you live in one of those strange countries where all the cars and roads are backwards).

Thu, 20 Nov 2008 15:54:00 UTC | #273946