← 'Imagine No Religon' Billboard Only Lasts a Few Days in Rancho Cucamonga

'Imagine No Religon' Billboard Only Lasts a Few Days in Rancho Cucamonga - Comments

windfall's Avatar Comment 1 by windfall

Insecure facists.

What is the big deal? It eludes me.

Sat, 22 Nov 2008 10:49:00 UTC | #274911

Dhamma's Avatar Comment 2 by Dhamma

"Imagine no religion - Then this sign wouldn't be taken down."

Sat, 22 Nov 2008 10:50:00 UTC | #274912

AllanW's Avatar Comment 3 by AllanW

I love these reactions from the company and by the local religious leaders. We must be doing something right to reveal the repressive, reactionary mindsets that religiots have. If we keep poking these knee-jerk reactions I can see many rational, normal and thoughtful people coming over to our side; not necessarily won by the arguments (that will come with mature reflection) but because they just do not want to be associated with extremist, unthinking dogma.

Keep doing it Annie Laurie!

Sat, 22 Nov 2008 10:52:00 UTC | #274915

righton's Avatar Comment 4 by righton

Atheist Billboard Campaign?

Sat, 22 Nov 2008 10:56:00 UTC | #274916

epeeist's Avatar Comment 5 by epeeist

Comment #288742 by windfall

Insecure facists.

If you think that is a sign of insecurity and fascism then you might be amused by this - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7743312.stm

Sat, 22 Nov 2008 10:58:00 UTC | #274919

Roger Stanyard's Avatar Comment 6 by Roger Stanyard

I must admit I am disgusted with the behaviour of the religious people that forced the removal of the billboard. Nevertheless, they are their own worst enemy.

I've taken the position that in a liberal democracy it is everyone's basic human right to believe, practice and pursue whatever religious opinions they feel comfortable with. It seems that even this basic right is being denied by whoever objected to this billboard.

Good grief, this billboard is about as mild as could be in expressing someone's opinions on religion.

Odd, isn't it, that one's religious opinions in the USA are everyone's else's business but in Europe most people don't give a stuff about them. No wonder the Zeitgeist is changing.

Sat, 22 Nov 2008 11:03:00 UTC | #274920

Swordmaiden's Avatar Comment 7 by Swordmaiden

There's a HUGE billboard near my home telling me I should go to the Life Church blah blah blah....I find THAT offensive. Can we not start funding for billboards everywhere not just buses....we raised lots of money for that....lets do it some more.

Sat, 22 Nov 2008 11:11:00 UTC | #274924

aquilacane's Avatar Comment 8 by aquilacane

I will donate money toward a sign, in the same place, that reads:

Imagine free speech

That would be hard for them to argue, and would remain to make a stronger more reasonable point. Imagining no religion congers up a very scary and bad world for many who read it. That isn't their fault, but it is real. Tell them what to imagine, or expect what you got. To ask the sign to be taken down is an allowable right. Just give them a sign that is hard to take down.

Sat, 22 Nov 2008 11:13:00 UTC | #274926

NormanDoering's Avatar Comment 9 by NormanDoering

Dhamma wrote:

"Imagine no religion - Then this sign wouldn't be taken down."

Because it would never have been put up in the first place.

Sat, 22 Nov 2008 11:25:00 UTC | #274933

elfinabout's Avatar Comment 10 by elfinabout

Followed the link by eepist to the BBC article. This made me chuckle - under the third image:

Malaysia is a secular democracy where Islam is the official religion

Um... FAIL.

Sat, 22 Nov 2008 11:32:00 UTC | #274937

Roger Stanyard's Avatar Comment 11 by Roger Stanyard

Aquilacane says "Imagining no religion congers up a very scary and bad world for many who read it."

Tough shit to them. So does religious fundamentalism conjour up a very nasty and bad world for many. Indeed, to many mainstream or otherwise religious people, fundamentalism is blasphemy and/or heresy and damned dangerous.

If the fundies want to get politicised, they should expect copious and vigorous criticism of all that they stand for. Instead, all too often, they just resort to bile and the insidious martyrdom complex about how persecuted and hard done to they are.

Sat, 22 Nov 2008 11:40:00 UTC | #274938

BrandySpears's Avatar Comment 12 by BrandySpears

Action Alert from Atheists United: Here are three things you can do to right now to express your opinion about the violation of First Amendment rights by the city of Rancho Cucamonga:

HELP FFRF’S LEGAL CASE

If you are an attorney or know an attorney in the Los Angeles Area who has experience filing in Federal Court and can file on behalf of the Freedom For Religion Foundation in the Southern District, please contact Annie Laurie Gaylor, Co-President of the Freedom From Religion Foundation as soon as possible at algaylor@ffrf.org, 608/256-8900. Please include all your contact information.

SPEAK OUT
You can speak out directly to the city of Rancho Cucamonga using the “Automatic Message Generator” provided by Atheists United.

SPREAD THE WORD
Forward this message to all your friends or use our on-line tool to spread the word.

Brian Parra

Director of Communications and Membership

Atheists United

membership@atheistsunited.org

Sat, 22 Nov 2008 11:44:00 UTC | #274939

Polaris29's Avatar Comment 13 by Polaris29

John Lennon is spinning in his grave, Founding Fathers too.

It's in the USA, just SUE THEM!

Sat, 22 Nov 2008 11:53:00 UTC | #274941

Dhamma's Avatar Comment 14 by Dhamma

NormanDoering:

Really, it was an obvious joke.

Sat, 22 Nov 2008 11:57:00 UTC | #274943

Enlightenme..'s Avatar Comment 15 by Enlightenme..

Post#9, referencing post#2,

Of course, without religion, then none of us would exist, in fact, perhaps the species might no longer exist!

Sat, 22 Nov 2008 12:07:00 UTC | #274947

apjohn23's Avatar Comment 16 by apjohn23

Should then any church/religion affiliated billboard be taken down? -pause- emphatic yes! If someone was to seriously bring up complaints and even signatures of people who are sick of church signs and focus on the fam messages, the god-heads would be flabbergasted like "but it is a peaceful sign and message, we are just spreading the word." They wont get it. Hippo-crits!

Sat, 22 Nov 2008 12:24:00 UTC | #274954

Logicel's Avatar Comment 17 by Logicel

Thanks, BS, #12, Just sent in my own missive to the city of Rancho Sans Cujones.

Seems that it is dawning on the religiots that atheists are willing and able to spend money to get their viewpoint out there.

Sat, 22 Nov 2008 12:28:00 UTC | #274959

Frankus1122's Avatar Comment 18 by Frankus1122

I got this from the FFRF statement:

While the Foundation has encountered billboard companies unwilling to lease boards in several locations (Rapid City, Mich., Peoria, Ill., rural Nebraska and Salt Lake City), this is the first time one of its billboards has been censored after going up.

Is there any kind of law about the denying people the right to free speech?
I suppose the billboard companies are privately owned but would they not be considered to be in control of a public space? I am thinking along the lines of radio stations controlled by the FCC.
Can anyone put up a sign anywhere they want?
If not, and if there are laws regarding where signs are allowed to be posted, is there some control over the messages on them.

Could this be a freedom of speech issue?
I know it is but I am thinking in legal terms.

Sat, 22 Nov 2008 12:47:00 UTC | #274967

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 19 by mordacious1

Here is something that irks me locally:

A few years ago they built a church nearby me and named it Christian Life Church, no problem.

Then they put in a road to it and named it Christian Life Way, it's a private road so again, no problem.

The issue I have is that the state came along and put up signs indicating the approaching intersection. Big green signs with white lettering stating "Christian Life Way", in both directions on a state highway, paid for with taxpayer's money.

Am I getting peeved for no reason? I'm sure if I named my road "No God, No Way", they would not put up state signs indicating the approaching street.

Sat, 22 Nov 2008 13:04:00 UTC | #274971

robotaholic's Avatar Comment 20 by robotaholic

in light of recent events- FUCK california

Sat, 22 Nov 2008 13:19:00 UTC | #274985

iType's Avatar Comment 21 by iType

Maybe FFRF should rethink it's strategy, obviously a billboard telling people what to do isn't going to work. Why not use their campaign dollars to promote the benefits of an open mind rather than further the stereotype of negative, angry atheists.

Sat, 22 Nov 2008 13:20:00 UTC | #274988

Ivan The Not So Bad's Avatar Comment 22 by Ivan The Not So Bad

You might enjoy the following extract from another report on this incident:

Judy Rooze, administrator of First Baptist Church of Rancho Cucamonga, which is two blocks from the billboard, was relieved it was coming down.

Rooze said it was unsettling.

"I understand people have freedom of speech, but this is taking it too far," she said. "It's very jarring."

Sat, 22 Nov 2008 13:40:00 UTC | #275001

Don_Quix's Avatar Comment 23 by Don_Quix

Yes, you have complete freedom of speech as long as that speech does not contradict or offend the First Baptist Church of Rancho Cucamonga.

Sat, 22 Nov 2008 13:46:00 UTC | #275004

shaunfletcher's Avatar Comment 24 by shaunfletcher

I don't have a lot of criticism to make of the billboard company. Being a company, their purpose is to make money. If this will not contribute to that then they will not do it.

However the city, churches and various totalitarian scumbags are shameful, and I almost wish all their christian crap was true so they could all go to hell for their behaviour.

Almost.

Sat, 22 Nov 2008 14:10:00 UTC | #275017

eellerto's Avatar Comment 25 by eellerto

In response to this earlier post:

In 2005, the GOP party in Washington tried to ban Yoga and witchcraft. I mean, I too hate the smell of patchouli and talk of chakra release, but really.

Sat, 22 Nov 2008 14:13:00 UTC | #275019

Diacanu's Avatar Comment 26 by Diacanu

shaunfletcher-

*Thinks about it*.....no, fuck 'em.

I don't let the amorality of business off the hook.
Profit motive kept slavery going.
Fuck 'em.

Sat, 22 Nov 2008 14:16:00 UTC | #275022

Alex1956's Avatar Comment 28 by Alex1956

They should buy, not lease, a billboard, thus leaving them free to be as in-your-face as they want to be. Just think of all the churches with signs out front stating some variation of "if you don't believe as we do, you're going to hell."

Sat, 22 Nov 2008 14:22:00 UTC | #275024

Eshto's Avatar Comment 27 by Eshto

@eellerto:

Hey I do yoga, it's great for posture and working out back pain. And the Wii Fit lets you monitor and develop your balance.

Ain't nothin' wrong with psychophysical exercise, it's really just stretching, deep breathing and relaxing. Just because chakras and kundalini energy aren't real doesn't mean yoga isn't good for you.

Plus Pat Robertson thinks yoga is demonic, so that gives me even more incentive to do it.

P.S. I love patchouli.

EDIT: "Islam is a complete way of life. Islam is able to cater to the needs of Muslims; spiritual needs, intellectual needs and other needs, material needs. So there is no need to bring in elements from outside"

Really?

Show me the doctrine in Islam that encourages muscle tone and flexibility. Is there one?

Sat, 22 Nov 2008 14:22:00 UTC | #275023

Border Collie's Avatar Comment 29 by Border Collie

Their rights are the default setting in society. Ours aren't.

Epeeist ... You link was interesting. I have fundie churchie friends here in Fort Worth who took their kids out of public school because the public school class was doing some simple relaxation techniques with the elementary school students which they described as 'yoga'. I asked them what the problem was with that. They said that things like yoga, meditation, etc. open one up to invasion by Satan. I've always found it odd that almost all Christians I know believe that the very first 'entity' that invades their whatever is a demon, or Satan or some such. Regressive belief system ...

Sat, 22 Nov 2008 14:22:00 UTC | #275025

DarwinsPitbull's Avatar Comment 30 by DarwinsPitbull

Diacanu

I don't let the amorality of business off the hook.
Profit motive kept slavery going.
Fuck 'em.

Thats easy to say when you are not the one who runs the billboard company. You expect them to lose money because of group of people who want to make a statement? I am sure if that billboard company has dozens of atheist clients then they might not care, but more than likely they have more religious clients than atheist clients. So they are going to stick with the group that is going to give them more money in the long run.

Sat, 22 Nov 2008 14:25:00 UTC | #275026