← Win Ben Stein's Mind

Win Ben Stein's Mind - Comments

axelg's Avatar Comment 1 by axelg

Fantastic!

Wed, 03 Dec 2008 21:12:00 UTC | #282538

pkruger's Avatar Comment 2 by pkruger

So a mere .025% of all scientists support creationism/Intelligent design? I would hazard to guess the percentage of totally insane scientists to be even a higher percentage.

Wed, 03 Dec 2008 21:30:00 UTC | #282539

Wosret's Avatar Comment 3 by Wosret

Fantastically written. I hadn't thought about what his opinions on the film might be.

Wed, 03 Dec 2008 21:38:00 UTC | #282542

Cartomancer's Avatar Comment 4 by Cartomancer

Yes, but those mad scientists are vital for the development of many hundreds of useful things. Where would we be without thermal death rays, killer robots, mind-control helmets, human-alien hybrids, cyborg assassins, the zombie plague, Sephiroth, exploding nuclear hats and all the many other commercially available doomsday weapons?

Creationists, on the other hand, seem to produce only hot air. Admittedly that might speed up global warming a tad, but compared with the Ragnarok 4000 Hyper-Cyclonic Apocalypse Device it just doesn't cut the mustard...

Wed, 03 Dec 2008 21:48:00 UTC | #282543

Mbee's Avatar Comment 5 by Mbee

It's a pity this review did not come out when the film was released. It might haves stopped more people from wasting their money going to see it.

What is the definition of a documentary? It looks like any film that includes some facts fits the bill - perhaps we need to invent a new category I would not call this a documentary.

Wed, 03 Dec 2008 21:51:00 UTC | #282544

Wosret's Avatar Comment 6 by Wosret

5. Comment #296556 by Cartomancer

Final Fantasy references ftw! The world would definitely be deprived without Sephiroth.

Do you play them? Or is it your brother?

Wed, 03 Dec 2008 21:55:00 UTC | #282545

Laurie Fraser's Avatar Comment 7 by Laurie Fraser

A superb piece of writing. Intelligence plus, unlike the miserable effort of his subject.

Wed, 03 Dec 2008 21:57:00 UTC | #282547

Lisa Bauer's Avatar Comment 8 by Lisa Bauer

#6 Mbee wrote:

How about calling it "propaganda"? And recall where the term came from originally -- Sacra Congregatio de Propaganda Fide (the Sacred Congregation for the Propagation of the Faith), from our "good friends" in the Roman Catholic Church. Yes, "propaganda" seems to fit the bill quite nicely.

Wed, 03 Dec 2008 22:03:00 UTC | #282549

Happy Hominid's Avatar Comment 9 by Happy Hominid

The heartening thing is to read the 260 comments at the Sun Times page where this appeared. Hey, there aren't as many idiots as I feared!

Wed, 03 Dec 2008 23:10:00 UTC | #282558

mind hypnotized's Avatar Comment 10 by mind hypnotized

I actually kinda want to see this movie now after reading this article. But my conscience won't allow me to pay money for this. I wonder if the talented nerds of the internet have leaked this onto the web yet.... I've also got way more respect for Ebert now than ever before. I had no idea he was so.... what's the word? ... badass.

Wed, 03 Dec 2008 23:42:00 UTC | #282564

mind hypnotized's Avatar Comment 11 by mind hypnotized

ZOMG I haven't commented on an article on this site in quite some time, apparently. I didn't know there was a [troll] button. That's probably the first time I've ever seen a unique button for trolls rather than just lumping them in with the spam. Way to go, administrators.

Wed, 03 Dec 2008 23:47:00 UTC | #282565

Enlightenme..'s Avatar Comment 13 by Enlightenme..

^"I wonder if the talented nerds of the internet have leaked this onto the web yet"

Be wary, I downloaded a seemingly appropriate-sized file from a peer to peer, only to find I'd added to global warming by keeping my computer on for 4 days to d/l the promo joined together 6 times into a megafile.

--------------------

"Hyper-Cyclonic Apocalypse Device"

No, that's the latest vacuum cleaner from Dyson.

Wed, 03 Dec 2008 23:50:00 UTC | #282567

Eshto's Avatar Comment 12 by Eshto

I've never seen a "Ragnarok 4000 Hyper-Cyclonic Apocalypse Device" in a Final Fantasy game.

Wed, 03 Dec 2008 23:50:00 UTC | #282566

fsm1965's Avatar Comment 14 by fsm1965

I wouldnt waste your bandwidth downloading, I can't watch more than 10 minutes without wanting to tear my screen apart.

The credits where they use the Berlin Wall as a metaphor for their being "shut out" and the Nazi imagary are enough to make most people vomit.

There are subtitles available exposing the lies should you choose to review it ;)

Thu, 04 Dec 2008 00:11:00 UTC | #282578

Diacanu's Avatar Comment 15 by Diacanu

Enlightenme-

No, that's the latest vacuum cleaner from Dyson.

Miles Bennett Dyson!

Thu, 04 Dec 2008 00:15:00 UTC | #282579

quill's Avatar Comment 16 by quill

Comment #296577 by mind hypnotized -

It's on YouTube:

Watch at your own risk. The constant Lord Privy Seals will start driving you crazy within a few minutes. Really bad editing, that.

And yes, Ebert is quite the badass. He's debated Creationists professionally. I can still remember his review of Alien Resurrection, in which he allowed himself to get caught up in criticizing the improbability of the xenomorphs' metabolisms from a biological standpoint.

Thu, 04 Dec 2008 00:53:00 UTC | #282606

alan baylis's Avatar Comment 17 by alan baylis

An excellent review.But not for Ben Stein.

"A theory, like a molecule, a sea slug and a polar bear, has to fight it out in the survival of the fittest."

Good one.

Thu, 04 Dec 2008 01:03:00 UTC | #282618

LeeC's Avatar Comment 18 by LeeC

The full article by Roger Ebert is fun reading... it goes on a bit, but well worth it.

Erm... who is Roger Ebert? Some movie reviewer of course, but I've never heard of him… it most be an American thing.
(Or just me living in a cardboard box)

Lee

Thu, 04 Dec 2008 01:03:00 UTC | #282619

Brian English's Avatar Comment 19 by Brian English

Was he the squat guy, receding dark hair that was in a Simpsons episode? The character kept saying something like I don't like it!.

Thu, 04 Dec 2008 01:05:00 UTC | #282621

Brian English's Avatar Comment 20 by Brian English

Nope, the intertoobs tell me that character was called Jay Sherman, voiced by Jon Lovitz.

Thu, 04 Dec 2008 01:13:00 UTC | #282629

Wosret's Avatar Comment 21 by Wosret

13. Comment #296579 by Eshto

They aren't all Final Fantasy references, only the Sephiroth one. You might be confused as something donning the name "Ragnarok" often appears in final fantasy games. It was a weapon in final fantasy 7, and was the name of the space ship in final fantasy 8.

Thu, 04 Dec 2008 01:18:00 UTC | #282633

timelord's Avatar Comment 22 by timelord

'It's a pity this review did not come out when the film was released.'

Try http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/expelled_no_intelligence_allowed/?name_order=asc

"Consensus: Full of patronizing, poorly structured arguments, Expelled is a cynical political stunt in the guise of a documentary."

Thu, 04 Dec 2008 01:58:00 UTC | #282672

lazlow's Avatar Comment 23 by lazlow

The mere thought of a world without these things scares me half to death and back again...

No, that's the latest vacuum cleaner from Dyson.

Dyson never made vacuum cleaners, they make hallucinogenic radio waves that make you think they make vacuum cleaners while they stick to their core business of breeding kittens that scratch painted walls so their sister company can sell more paint! I thought this was obvious to everyone!

Thu, 04 Dec 2008 02:01:00 UTC | #282677

Dhamma's Avatar Comment 24 by Dhamma

OT:

GOD DAMNIT!! I just had my first Jehovas witnesses ever knocking on my door, and it didn't turn out the way I've always wanted.

I was having a small party yesterday for a celebration, so it was a bit messy here. And after not going to bed at normal hours I needed to sleep out. But some bastard woke me up in the middle of a heavy sleep cycle, and I just felt forced to open the door despite the mess of the apartment and the mess that was me. I was wearing one mindbogglingly awful sock with symbols of Sweden and the other bare and I didn't wear any pants at all, so I imagine they must have been quite shocked when I opened. The lady (and her daughter) burst into laughs and told me she's sorry for bothering, and I just hastily read "WAKE UP" on her leaflet before she went and understood it was them.

The symbolic aspect of waking this atheist up could not be more obvious :)

Anyway, I've always wanted to have a discussion with one of them for the sake of amusement. Does anyone know if they'll come back when I didn't even get the chance to welcome them in?

I scared the JW's away just by showing myself - Now that is symbolic :)

Thu, 04 Dec 2008 02:18:00 UTC | #282699

SilentMike's Avatar Comment 25 by SilentMike

Ben Stein and his movie bore me to tears. I just don't care about this flop anymore and I couldn't bring myself to finish reading this review. I've clearly had enough.

Thu, 04 Dec 2008 02:22:00 UTC | #282702

rod-the-farmer's Avatar Comment 26 by rod-the-farmer

Re 10. Comment #296571 by Happy Hominid

I agree. What I found interesting, and I did not read all of them, was that so many people took time to comment on the Roger Ebert review, in such a short time window, to voice their opinions, and that only a very few (from what I read) supported creationism.

Re 19. Comment #296633 by LeeC

Ooooo, you're lucky you had a cardboard box. I only had a bag.

Thu, 04 Dec 2008 02:31:00 UTC | #282714

Brian English's Avatar Comment 27 by Brian English

Dhamma, perhaps they thought it was the coming of the Lord?

Thu, 04 Dec 2008 02:35:00 UTC | #282717

AfraidToDie's Avatar Comment 28 by AfraidToDie

I can't believe how long Roger's review/blog was, but was so happy to see how meticulous he was at destroying the film. Like one of the bloggers, I too loved the last two lines:

It filled you with hatred for Charles Darwin and his followers, who represent the overwhelming majority of educated people in every nation on earth. It is not difficult for me to describe how you made me feel by exploiting the deaths of millions of Jews in support of your argument for a peripheral Christian belief. It fills me with contempt.

Thu, 04 Dec 2008 02:43:00 UTC | #282726

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 29 by Stafford Gordon

Excellent indeed! But, and I hope I'm not being unfair or rude, it would appear that the unfortunate Mr Stein could possibly be psychotic, therefore no matter how reasoned any argument might be he, poor man, would not be able to comprehend it.

I'll probably be sued now; although from what I've been told there are almost any number of people who would be perfectly justified in sueing Mr Stein after what he said about them in his film.

Thu, 04 Dec 2008 02:50:00 UTC | #282730

Amnis73's Avatar Comment 30 by Amnis73

#22 by Wosret

Ragnarok was a 'final event' of sorts from Norse mythology, wasn't it? If I remember correctly, a bunch of the gods die.

Go Ebert. I remember growing up listening to Siskel & Ebert tear the hell out of movies (for those non-americans, they were the most famous movie reviewers until Siskel died, though Ebert still does his thing), and never thought much about it. This definitely made me sit up and take notice.

I might have a look at the youtube clip, but judging by the comments made here I think doing so would only infuriate me.

Thu, 04 Dec 2008 03:05:00 UTC | #282739