← Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.

Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings. - Comments

justdust's Avatar Comment 1 by justdust

Tee-shirt, XL please.

Sun, 01 Feb 2009 10:09:00 UTC | #316194

fatpiranha's Avatar Comment 2 by fatpiranha

Great slogan. Although without science they'd have a hard time flying into buildings & would probably just make an amusing smudge.

Sun, 01 Feb 2009 10:10:00 UTC | #316196

debacles's Avatar Comment 3 by debacles

Harsh. I like it. We need to get one of these campaigns in Montreal. What can I do to make this happen?

Sun, 01 Feb 2009 10:11:00 UTC | #316197

7sD's Avatar Comment 4 by 7sD

damn, that's good.

may we use it?

Sun, 01 Feb 2009 10:12:00 UTC | #316198

Xplodyncow's Avatar Comment 5 by Xplodyncow

I love it. Clever and to the point.

But what is this campaign as a whole trying to accomplish? Does it have a goal? The first slogan ("There's probably no god ...") perhaps got some people to stop and think; this one, however, might further divide believers from nonbelievers. Offending people isn't a good way to get them to listen to you.

Sun, 01 Feb 2009 10:15:00 UTC | #316200

Rosbif's Avatar Comment 6 by Rosbif

Good slogan.
I like this as it separates the god debate from the religious debate.
This can be substantiated.

Sun, 01 Feb 2009 10:16:00 UTC | #316201

Quine's Avatar Comment 7 by Quine

Great for web sites, but on the side of the bus, I think I would work up to it after the public gets numb to our less "aggressive" suggestions. (I do, however, want to put up Jesus and Mo inside the bus.)

Sun, 01 Feb 2009 10:16:00 UTC | #316202

Baron Scarpia's Avatar Comment 8 by Baron Scarpia

It will trigger heart attacks. I like it, but I think it's too confrontational, considering the goal is to get people to think.

Sun, 01 Feb 2009 10:17:00 UTC | #316203

Ilovelucy's Avatar Comment 9 by Ilovelucy

There I was thinking science was a method and not an ideology. As pointed out above, science gives us the ability to fly to the moon and fly into buildings. The question is, without religion, would events as 9/11 stop happening? I think not.

If this ended up on a bus it would just succeed in spreading the rude, angry atheist stereotype.

Sun, 01 Feb 2009 10:18:00 UTC | #316204

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 10 by Steve Zara

Comment #331669 by Baron Scarpia

I agree. The great thing about the current UK bus slogan is its mildness. It makes the strong reactions to it seem even more absurd than otherwise.

Sun, 01 Feb 2009 10:20:00 UTC | #316207

NewEnglandBob's Avatar Comment 11 by NewEnglandBob

This from a man who proved there is no god. I love it.

I pre-ordered Stenger's upcoming April book.

Sun, 01 Feb 2009 10:21:00 UTC | #316208

Librarian's Avatar Comment 12 by Librarian

I would love a Tee shirt with that slogan! At this point it may be a bit much for the bus campaign. Maybe work up to it.

Sun, 01 Feb 2009 10:34:00 UTC | #316215

Jay Cee's Avatar Comment 13 by Jay Cee

I'm torn.

I like the slogan and think it's clever.

But we achieved so much with the "probably" approach. We had journalists like Madeliene Bunting calling us "uncertain" and "unconvincing" which made a change from her usual "certain" and "strident" and "dogmatic."

Isn't this playing the game they want it'

Sun, 01 Feb 2009 10:41:00 UTC | #316219

decius's Avatar Comment 14 by decius

Comment #331669 by Baron Scarpia

It is confrontational, but true.

This is a campaign, not a picnic, it is supposed to escalate by definition.
Besides, it doesn't even come close to a fair payback for all what we collectively have to endure constantly from the faith-heads.

Sun, 01 Feb 2009 10:42:00 UTC | #316221

Evilcor's Avatar Comment 15 by Evilcor

I'm getting that tattooed on my face!

Sun, 01 Feb 2009 10:43:00 UTC | #316222

Robert Maynard's Avatar Comment 16 by Robert Maynard

OOF that would smart. And they think the current thing is offensive! xD

Sun, 01 Feb 2009 10:47:00 UTC | #316226

Quine's Avatar Comment 17 by Quine

<!-- -->I just would not want that slogan to become self-fulfilling:

Sun, 01 Feb 2009 10:50:00 UTC | #316229

AllanW's Avatar Comment 18 by AllanW

Trite IMO. On balance it gives away the advantage that the initial slogans gained by being reasonable. The slogan may be clever but it is far more likely to be ignored by those sitting on the fence. There may well be a place for this kind of attack ad in the future but why dilute the almost universally positive reactions being received now?

Sun, 01 Feb 2009 10:51:00 UTC | #316231

Jay Cee's Avatar Comment 19 by Jay Cee

Foxy,

I am, however, deeply worried that this might offend someone. Of course it's perfectly true, but I wouldn't want to start a riot. I just dread the thought of some preacher proclaiming that the evil atheists are attacking people and mocking them.

We should never have to worry about offending anyone. We can say and do exactly as we wish, Decius is right in many respects. However, it's a matter of political tactics - how to optimise staying true to what we really think and having the greatest impact in changing hearts and minds.

Sun, 01 Feb 2009 10:54:00 UTC | #316232

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 20 by mordacious1

I'd like someone to submit this to the Advertising Standards Board (or was it Association?, whatever) just to see if they would let something like this on their buses.

The religious would probably say, "Well, if it wasn't for god, you wouldn't have a moon to fly to, now would you?".

Sun, 01 Feb 2009 10:55:00 UTC | #316233

gyokusai's Avatar Comment 21 by gyokusai

Dang this is good.

This has to be proliferated ASAP, whether it's a good idea for bus advertising or no.

^_^J. (awed)

EDIT: So what. Let's offend, for goodness' sake!

POSTEDIT: So where's the tee-shirt. Why does it take so long?!?

Sun, 01 Feb 2009 10:59:00 UTC | #316237

Bonzai's Avatar Comment 22 by Bonzai

Add one more sentence:

"But Stenger's ad won't fly"

EDIT: Mord1, get your snake away from me.

Sun, 01 Feb 2009 11:09:00 UTC | #316241

Tzsak's Avatar Comment 23 by Tzsak

Sounds like a good way to get a huge amount of negative publicity concerning atheists portraying science as being incompatible with religion >_<

While the people who say that are clearly missing the point, I can imagine a slogan less likely to attract heavy criticism is a good idea~

Sun, 01 Feb 2009 11:14:00 UTC | #316245

Quine's Avatar Comment 24 by Quine

<!-- -->Comment #331705 by gyokusai:

POSTEDIT: So where's the tee-shirt. Why does it take so long?!?

Here you go, make your own t-shirt on the web and have it sent to you.

P.S. You could use the picture on the top of this thread and have it ordered in just a couple of minutes.

Sun, 01 Feb 2009 11:20:00 UTC | #316247

Bonzai's Avatar Comment 25 by Bonzai

decius

It is confrontational, but true.

Eh.. I am not so sure about it. We sure won't like it if some neo-Luddites put up an add showing the mushroom cloud over Hiroshima with the caption: the true face of science, it would be confrontational and not true,--it is very selective about science. Same with this ad, it is very selective, most religious people don't fly into buildings, nor do they condone acts like that.

Sun, 01 Feb 2009 11:24:00 UTC | #316248

gyokusai's Avatar Comment 26 by gyokusai

@Quine Yeah thanks but, y'know, that question's been meant to be on the rhetorical side quite a bit!

^_^J.

Sun, 01 Feb 2009 11:24:00 UTC | #316249

bendigeidfran's Avatar Comment 27 by bendigeidfran

Someone here had a good one a few months ago - was it Fanusi? may well not have been. It went something like 'You howl at the moon whereas we have walked upon it'.

Anyway we should copy the religious and split to diffuse responsibility. Any dodgy slogans that backfire can then be dismissed as 'not my atheism'.

Sun, 01 Feb 2009 11:25:00 UTC | #316250

Bonzai's Avatar Comment 28 by Bonzai

bendigeidfran

Yeah, it was Fanusi, he wrote, 'While your neurotic prophet prostrated before the moon in fear, we walked on it.' It is a good line.

Sun, 01 Feb 2009 11:27:00 UTC | #316251

jshuey's Avatar Comment 30 by jshuey

I simply do not care who finds me offensive or aggressive. If the truth offends you, it is your problem, not mine.

I would also posit the possibility that it is weak statements, purposely designed not to offend, that enables the fence-sitters to remain perched in place. I'm all for calling a spade a spade and letting the chips fall where they may. (Metaphor Alert!)

Sun, 01 Feb 2009 11:28:00 UTC | #316253

Jay Cee's Avatar Comment 29 by Jay Cee

I agree Foxy and that's why I think

"Without god, Life is everything" should be the new slogan.

OR