← Richard Dawkins' US Dates begin Monday

Richard Dawkins' US Dates begin Monday - Comments

Delsolar16's Avatar Comment 1 by Delsolar16

I was so happy to see Norman, Oklahoma on the calendar. It's a good 5 hours away, but I've got my hotel booked and am excited to meet you Richard.

Fri, 27 Feb 2009 21:06:00 UTC | #331490

Dace's Avatar Comment 2 by Dace

Richard, are you planning to keep another tour journal for this trip?

Fri, 27 Feb 2009 21:12:00 UTC | #331491

Ed-words's Avatar Comment 3 by Ed-words

From Oklahoma to Sweden to
Nebraska.Now that's jet lag.

Fri, 27 Feb 2009 21:27:00 UTC | #331494

retest's Avatar Comment 4 by retest

It'll be most enjoyable to meet you and listen to your lecture at Northrop Auditorium at the U of M.

Fri, 27 Feb 2009 21:28:00 UTC | #331495

DrawingYou's Avatar Comment 5 by DrawingYou

I hope you make your way to Seattle. You would get a warm welcome here regardless of the weather.

Fri, 27 Feb 2009 21:33:00 UTC | #331497

MikedubB's Avatar Comment 6 by MikedubB

The itinerary is somewhat perplexing. The Doc is a major celeb. Norman? Lansing? Omaha? WTF. There are millions of people in the blue states that would love to see him. But maybe he is coming for the sick, not the healthy. Still, I hope he comes to Cali. I might be sounding a bit selfish, but whatever, I want him to meet him.
P.S. When is the next book on evolution's proof coming out? Maybe he'll take a thorough tour with that under his belt.

Hopefully.

Fri, 27 Feb 2009 22:27:00 UTC | #331503

mbannonb's Avatar Comment 7 by mbannonb

What is Richard promoting on this tour?

Is a new book being released or something?

Fri, 27 Feb 2009 22:40:00 UTC | #331504

RationallyInclined's Avatar Comment 8 by RationallyInclined

I don't even have a shot at those locations. Professor, can we expect a more robust US tour for the new book?

Sat, 28 Feb 2009 00:07:00 UTC | #331510

First Dark's Avatar Comment 9 by First Dark

Yes, please please please stop through Seattle this year if possible. As DrawingYou promised, you will have a warm welcome indeed! :)

Sat, 28 Feb 2009 00:33:00 UTC | #331511

rod-the-farmer's Avatar Comment 10 by rod-the-farmer

The Lansing session (at which I will be present with my son, 18) is titled "The Purpose of Purpose". I believe he has given this particular talk before.

Sat, 28 Feb 2009 01:07:00 UTC | #331514

thrutraffic's Avatar Comment 11 by thrutraffic

And you are dissing us folks in the Bible Belt why?? :-)

Charlotte, NC should be on this list.

Sat, 28 Feb 2009 01:30:00 UTC | #331516

WilliamP's Avatar Comment 12 by WilliamP

Touring the Midwest' Good, it's badly needed. I'll see if I can get to one of these lectures.

Sat, 28 Feb 2009 02:38:00 UTC | #331517

Anna Lane's Avatar Comment 13 by Anna Lane

*by DrawingYou*

great avitar!

Sat, 28 Feb 2009 02:44:00 UTC | #331518

bharmount's Avatar Comment 14 by bharmount

"The East Lansing session is at the University of Michigan. Get 'em while they are young, I suspect. This pattern may hold true for the other locations as well."

Rod,

No, that's Michigan State U. But I am really looking forward to it & seeing Richard again! See you there.

Bob Harmount

Sat, 28 Feb 2009 03:33:00 UTC | #331520

Awesome's Avatar Comment 15 by Awesome

Still, I hope he comes to Cali. I might be sounding a bit selfish, but whatever, I want to meet him.

The problem with living in California is that there's a vast expanse of nothing between us and the east coast, so everybody from comedians to academics to music bands to political figures are somewhat disinclined to come anywhere near us when they're on a tour. That may not be the case here, as I see Dawkins has two stops in the middle of Nothing, but I've pretty much given up hope of seeing anybody interesting in San Francisco (irony!) on anything more than an irregular basis.

Sat, 28 Feb 2009 03:57:00 UTC | #331522

NewEnglandBob's Avatar Comment 16 by NewEnglandBob

How about the east and west coast of the US where the other 285 million people live?

Minnesota population - 5.2 million
Michigan population - 10 million
Nebraska population - 1.8 million
Oklahoma population - 3.5 million

US population - 305.9 million

Edit: revised population figures for 2009 estimate.

Sat, 28 Feb 2009 05:24:00 UTC | #331528

DeludedNoLonger's Avatar Comment 17 by DeludedNoLonger

Happy Saturday to all. I hope you are enjoying your well deserved weekends.

In an effort to create some controversy today and to honour the Professor on the cusp of his North American speaking tour, I pose the question: Does teaching your child to believe in God amount to child abuse?:

Best regards,

The Atheist Missionary

P.S. If there was some way we could arrange a post-talk pub at MSU for RichardDawkins.net members, that would be awesome. If anyone is familiar with a good location in East Lansing, let's get that arranged. I am making a 5 hour trek in order to attend and I will be up for a beer after the talk.

Sat, 28 Feb 2009 05:42:00 UTC | #331533

evolvingalways's Avatar Comment 18 by evolvingalways

Glad you came back to Minnesota you will have a much larger audience this time around.

Sat, 28 Feb 2009 05:52:00 UTC | #331536

sir_russ's Avatar Comment 19 by sir_russ

rod-the-farmer said,

Rod, I hope to see you there.

Richard's Lansing/East Lansing talk is at the Wharton Center on Michigan State University's campus in East Lansing. Me, my wife, and both kids, ages 16 and 18, are all quite excited about seeing Professor Dawkins next Monday.

For future reference, Rod, recall that the University of Michigan is in the Third World Country called Ann Arbor, and its students and faculty are almost exclusively palm readers, phrenologists, and astrologers. UoM can be characterized as an occult wasteland. At the UoM their highest ideal for innovation, research and development is making their cotton candy purple instead of pink. And, for the entire sad lot of them, the loftiest goal to which they aspire is making their way to East Lansing, finding the magnificent MSU mascot, Sparty, and painting his tallywacker, maize, one of their loathsome school colors.

Enjoy your evening with the Professor.

Sat, 28 Feb 2009 06:50:00 UTC | #331566

darkins's Avatar Comment 20 by darkins

Hello

Another case has been started in Turkey against Richard Dawkins' "God Delusion".

I will send more news here after I learn the details.

Sat, 28 Feb 2009 07:06:00 UTC | #331576

Delsolar16's Avatar Comment 21 by Delsolar16

Comment #347499 by NewEnglandBob

If he wasn't selling out stadiums in all of these locations then I could see your point. The fact is they had to move the location of his lecture in Norman, OK so they could accomodate more people. (Tickets for the original location sold out in less than half an hour).

Sat, 28 Feb 2009 07:35:00 UTC | #331584

meatlike product's Avatar Comment 22 by meatlike product

argh! I was excited to see Atlanta on the list but I'll be in south Florida that day.

Sat, 28 Feb 2009 07:42:00 UTC | #331587

KRKBAB's Avatar Comment 23 by KRKBAB

I think Dawkins and Hitchens understand that preaching to the choir is good for bonding and comraderie, but going to the medieval areas are where it's at! I think it would be great if he targeted places like Kansas and Texas. I know he was in Texas before, but I'm not sure about Kansas. Oklahoma and Nebraska sre certainly good places.

Sat, 28 Feb 2009 08:27:00 UTC | #331600

Swordmaiden's Avatar Comment 24 by Swordmaiden

Good luck Richard...not that you'll need it even if you did believe in it! Hopefully some more DVD's out if it? Please?

Sat, 28 Feb 2009 09:11:00 UTC | #331609

Scep's Avatar Comment 25 by Scep

A Hab fan with Russian problems asks:
“Does teaching your child to believe in God amount to child abuse”.

It all depends which God it is. Why not teach our children about nature and its laws. Some of the greatest thinkers, past and present, subscribe to that God.

Spinoza equated God (infinite substance) with Nature, consistent with Einstein's belief in an impersonal deity. In 1929, Einstein was asked in a telegram by Rabbi Herbert S. Goldstein whether he believed in God.
Einstein responded by telegram: "I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with the fates and actions of human beings."

Carl Sagan:
“The idea that God is an oversized white male with a flowing beard who sits in the sky and tallies the fall of every sparrow is ludicrous. But if by God one means the set of physical laws that govern the universe, then clearly there is such a God. This God is emotionally unsatisfying... it does not make much sense to pray to the law of gravity”.

So why not teach the above natural (existing in or in conformity with nature or the observable world) God to our children and make sure they know there is no evidence of something supernatural (not existing in nature or subject to explanation according to natural law) in the real world, our world?

Sat, 28 Feb 2009 09:23:00 UTC | #331615

aquilacane's Avatar Comment 26 by aquilacane

Any trips to Ontario in the near future? May have to set up a road trip. Rod, you in?

Sat, 28 Feb 2009 09:31:00 UTC | #331616

hal2011's Avatar Comment 27 by hal2011

Is there going to be any autograph or photo opportunities on Monday night at MSU? Anything before or after the lecture?

Coming from Sarnia Ontario Canada to see Professor Dawkins for the first time. So excited.

Sat, 28 Feb 2009 09:50:00 UTC | #331619

astroprof's Avatar Comment 28 by astroprof

I think it is great that he is going to the red states. Even though they are not comparable in population to the east/west coasts, there are plenty of people in the heartland who are like-minded rationalists and really appreciate the rare treat of having such a well-known scholarly visitor. We blue-staters aren't nearly as barraged with Jesus-freak billboards at every mile along the highway, and creationists on our school boards. We in the blue states have it easy, being in proximity to universities & other cultural centers where events like this happen pretty much every weekend. On the coasts, our fellow human beings, more likely than not, share our political views. Living in the San Francisco Bay Area, I have seen RD speak here 3-4 times just in the past couple years. The only way to get things to change in the red states is if more rationalists/atheists make themselves known, organize if they wish, etc - and tours by the likes of RD and others are catalyzing that process.

Sat, 28 Feb 2009 10:16:00 UTC | #331620

irate_atheist's Avatar Comment 29 by irate_atheist

Richard - Good luck, mate. Stick it to 'em.

Sat, 28 Feb 2009 10:24:00 UTC | #331622

maryannschulz's Avatar Comment 30 by maryannschulz

Well, we are from Texas and very glad Richard is coming to Norman, Okla. because it’s close enough for us to drive. And we recommend highly the Museum of Natural History at the University – a haven of scientific thought.
Website: http://www.snomnh.ou.edu/