← Oklahoma Legislature Investigates Richard Dawkins' Free Speech

Oklahoma Legislature Investigates Richard Dawkins' Free Speech - Comments

Big T's Avatar Comment 1 by Big T

Ridiculous. Preposterous. Outrageous. And disgusting.

Fri, 20 Mar 2009 12:21:00 UTC | #337697

black wolf's Avatar Comment 2 by black wolf

Could someone be sued for liability for filing frivolous demands?

Fri, 20 Mar 2009 12:24:00 UTC | #337699

the way's Avatar Comment 3 by the way

Three cheers for Richard Dawkins! (and U of O)
We rest our case.

Fri, 20 Mar 2009 12:26:00 UTC | #337701

Philster61's Avatar Comment 4 by Philster61

Looks like the "Okie from Miskokie" stereotype is turning out to be true!!!

Fri, 20 Mar 2009 12:27:00 UTC | #337702

j.mills's Avatar Comment 5 by j.mills

Ay-ay-ay. Do these busy-bodies even have any legal right to all this info?

I know you can always say, "Haven't you got anything better to do?" - it's a bit of a cheap shot. But this was a peaceful speech that's already happened, as thousands of such speeches do every day. Really - haven't they got anything better to do?

Fri, 20 Mar 2009 12:30:00 UTC | #337703

Eventhorizon's Avatar Comment 6 by Eventhorizon

I hope when this all blows over and comes to nothing somebody will investigate and fine these cretins for wasting your hard earned tax dollars

Fri, 20 Mar 2009 12:36:00 UTC | #337704

beanson's Avatar Comment 7 by beanson

wow- that's backward

Fri, 20 Mar 2009 12:38:00 UTC | #337705

Dr. Strangegod's Avatar Comment 8 by Dr. Strangegod

Historically, Oklahoma has been the least valuable and thus least desirable chunk of land in the continental US. It was the third to last of the lower 48 to become a state at all, and was mostly used as a dumping ground for Native Americans that were living on more useful land farther east (my Cherokee forefathers among them). My great-grandfather was born on the res, and it was a shithole then. My grandmother was born off the res but in Oklahoma, and it was still a shithole. So much of a shithole, in fact, that John Steinbeck wrote a book about a poor Okie family trying to get the hell away from it. Unfortunately, Oklahoma is still a shithole to this day, and if "backwater" means anything in the US, it means Oklahoma.

Fri, 20 Mar 2009 12:42:00 UTC | #337707

Diocletian's Avatar Comment 9 by Diocletian

No doubt, members of the Oklahoma State Legislation would love to hear from the defenders of Free Speech:

Dr. Rick Farmer: email rickfarmer@okhouse.gov or phone 405.557.7460

Rep. Rebecca Hamilton: mail: rebeccahamilton@okhouse.gov or phone 405-557-7397

Fri, 20 Mar 2009 13:00:00 UTC | #337710

Sue G's Avatar Comment 10 by Sue G

Well, it's official: Oklahoma has the silliest legislature of all states.

Fri, 20 Mar 2009 13:10:00 UTC | #337713

anna09's Avatar Comment 11 by anna09

As an American, I would just like to say, this is fucking embarrassing.

I don't understand how this issue even made it this far.

Fri, 20 Mar 2009 13:14:00 UTC | #337714

digibud's Avatar Comment 12 by digibud

I would hope the good folks at the University would send whatever information they are required by law to send and not one bit more.

Fri, 20 Mar 2009 13:22:00 UTC | #337717

helen sotiriadis's Avatar Comment 13 by helen sotiriadis

cretins.

Fri, 20 Mar 2009 13:25:00 UTC | #337719

helen sotiriadis's Avatar Comment 14 by helen sotiriadis

lol i just remembered the etymology and i looked it up at dictionary.com to write it nice and tidy:

cretin:
1770–80; < F; Franco-Provençal creitin, crestin human being, lit., Christian (hence one who is human despite deformities)

Fri, 20 Mar 2009 13:26:00 UTC | #337722

maton100's Avatar Comment 15 by maton100

Incestuous vexation.

Fri, 20 Mar 2009 13:30:00 UTC | #337723

Dark Matter's Avatar Comment 16 by Dark Matter

Questions to ask:

Is the investigation going to lead to any formal charges?

If so, then what are the charges?

If not then who is paying for this investigation?

Is it the Oklahoma State taxpayers?

During a time of recession and economic crisis, is this the best use for taxpayers' money?

I am sure that there are many in Oklahoma who would like to fund this witch hunt but shouldn't the full cost of such an investigation be disclosed to the voters of Oklahoma (especially if the investigation leads to no charges in which case can be said to be a complete waste of time, resources and taxpayers' money?)

I only hope that some budding journalist out there can get the answers to these questions and expose these 17th century throwbacks.

Dark Matter

Fri, 20 Mar 2009 13:35:00 UTC | #337724

reductionist's Avatar Comment 17 by reductionist

I kinda want this investigation to lead to something, so we can see another Dover-esque slaughter.

Childish, I know.

Fri, 20 Mar 2009 13:44:00 UTC | #337730

NewEnglandBob's Avatar Comment 18 by NewEnglandBob

I wonder if there is someone that we could write and email to request a Federal investigation for violation by the Oklahoma legislators of first amendment constitutional rights.

Maybe if the legislators responsible for this travesty are convicted and jailed, they might learn what guaranteed freedoms mean.

Fri, 20 Mar 2009 13:47:00 UTC | #337732

reductionist's Avatar Comment 19 by reductionist

I'm sure the ACLU and NCSE've got those bases thoroughly covered ;)

These "legislators" have already dug themselves into a nasty hole. If the story does go national, their only hope will be Faux News.

Fri, 20 Mar 2009 13:53:00 UTC | #337735

Mr_Melbourne's Avatar Comment 20 by Mr_Melbourne

I wonder if this a case of any publicity being good publicity when it comes to this level of stupidity?? Lets hope the other US states can see how ridiculous this is.

Fri, 20 Mar 2009 13:54:00 UTC | #337736

ennui's Avatar Comment 21 by ennui

Would this action pass the Lemon Test?

Here's a write-up of even more Oklahoma legislature shenanigans (Re: embryonic stem cell research).

ERV blog

Fri, 20 Mar 2009 13:57:00 UTC | #337739

clunkclickeverytrip's Avatar Comment 22 by clunkclickeverytrip

I'm sure they'll find that a lot more money will be required to "investigate" than was involved in orchestrating the whole event. A budget comparison would be really enlightening. But it's not really about money is it...

Fri, 20 Mar 2009 14:04:00 UTC | #337741

JHJEFFERY's Avatar Comment 23 by JHJEFFERY

I think Rep. Hamilton needed a letter from us that was not so negative as many of you may have written so I dropped her this note of encouragement:
Dear Representative Hamilton:

I have become aware that you are investigating the appearance and speaking engagement of evolutionist and atheist Richard Dawkins at the University of Oklahoma. I, for one, write to applaud you. I grew up in Arkansas (that's right, Epperson v. Arkansas--the "monkey case") and now live in Florida where creationists are fighting the good fight to put "teach the controversy" into the state high school science standards so that evolution can be attacked.

I am tired, tired I tell you, of living in states that are the laughingstock of the universe and the knuckle-dragging capitols of the world. Forget about that First Amendment crap--that doesn't apply to Dawkins or his ilk. It's time for Oklahoma to take its rightful place as the most backward state in the union and get me off the hook. Thanks for all.

Keep up the good work.

Very truly yours,

Jerry H. Jeffery, J.D.

Fri, 20 Mar 2009 14:19:00 UTC | #337746

MelM's Avatar Comment 24 by MelM

I don't know what law or policy violation the legislators expect to find. If there is none, then this is harassment and I agree that harassment by a legislature violates the First Amendment.

Really, what are they looking for?
or
What legislation are they contemplating?
or
Who do they want to punish by withholding money?
or
Who do they want to frighten?
or
Who (or what dept.) do they want to hold up for public scorn?

Fri, 20 Mar 2009 14:39:00 UTC | #337751

GloriousFool's Avatar Comment 25 by GloriousFool

They really are a laughing stock.
Oklahomans should be burying their heads in shame.

Fri, 20 Mar 2009 14:41:00 UTC | #337752

JazzX's Avatar Comment 26 by JazzX

I think this is a good thing!

When they read the entire transcript of Richard's talk, they might learn something in those tiny ignorant brains.

Fri, 20 Mar 2009 15:15:00 UTC | #337757

jshuey's Avatar Comment 27 by jshuey

Nothing will or can come of it. It's just petty political posturing...throwing red meat to their cousin-marrying, bible-thumping, Neanderthal constituents.

Fri, 20 Mar 2009 15:16:00 UTC | #337758

zonotrichia's Avatar Comment 28 by zonotrichia

Clearly, there some crackpots in the Oklahoma Legislature, as there are in most state legislatures. Until some body that is more representative of the OK Legislature as a whole takes action, I wouldn't tar the entire legislature, nor the state of Oklahoma, with the embarrassing behavior of a couple of pandering idiots.

Fri, 20 Mar 2009 15:30:00 UTC | #337765

Diocletian's Avatar Comment 29 by Diocletian

To Jshuey:

Over 20 years ago, when the Christian Right restructured their strategy to move into school boards and local city/state politics - most people said 'Nothing will or can come of it...' Here we are still battling in a number of States to keep creationism out of public education and to bring in real science. We cannot afford not to fight at every battle - and free speech is one that is truly worth fighting over.

Fri, 20 Mar 2009 16:17:00 UTC | #337780

Thea Popi's Avatar Comment 30 by Thea Popi

I don't think I'll be visiting Oklahoma soon.

Fri, 20 Mar 2009 17:24:00 UTC | #337799