← US space tourist blasts off to space station

US space tourist blasts off to space station - Comments

Chris_The_Positivist's Avatar Comment 1 by Chris_The_Positivist

Wow how I envy him....
I'm still waiting for something like the star trek enterprise, I really hope we get to see something like this in our respective lifetimes...that would be amazing.

Thu, 26 Mar 2009 09:07:00 UTC | #339633

bamafreethinker's Avatar Comment 2 by bamafreethinker

I'm thinking of becoming a billionaire...

Thu, 26 Mar 2009 09:17:00 UTC | #339638

Anvil's Avatar Comment 3 by Anvil

I grew up thinking we'd all be living on the moon by now. But here I am, an Old Wanker who's $35 million dollers short of $35 million dollars...

'Sigh'

Anvil.

Thu, 26 Mar 2009 09:18:00 UTC | #339639

Tintern's Avatar Comment 4 by Tintern

And, when he gets back, he goes home with a 28yr old Swedish wife. Being a billionaire rocks!

Thu, 26 Mar 2009 09:26:00 UTC | #339642

Anvil's Avatar Comment 5 by Anvil

That's right, Tintern, rub it in...

Anvil.

Thu, 26 Mar 2009 09:35:00 UTC | #339644

Alexis Yourcenar's Avatar Comment 6 by Alexis Yourcenar

Excuse me but what exactly is the relevance of this information?
With all due respect to Mr Simonyi, are his 35 million space trips of any interest at all to people interested in science, rationality and clear-thinking?

Thu, 26 Mar 2009 09:57:00 UTC | #339688

kaiserkriss's Avatar Comment 7 by kaiserkriss

Re #7 : Josh thought it was important. Mr Simonyi just might be paying the bills for this site??? However I too sympathize with your position.jcw

Thu, 26 Mar 2009 10:02:00 UTC | #339694

Quetzalcoatl's Avatar Comment 8 by Quetzalcoatl

Alexis Yourcenar, Kaiserkriss-

Remember RD held the Charles Simonyi chair for the public understanding of science (not its exact name).

Thu, 26 Mar 2009 10:07:00 UTC | #339702

Vaal's Avatar Comment 9 by Vaal

Lucky bugger. Good on him, and why not. How many of us would not give an arm or a leg to see the Earth from orbit.

Perhaps in a few years, many on this site will have the opportunity to fly into space relatively cheaply, although, alas, I expect too late for me, unless they get around to building the space elevator :)

Thu, 26 Mar 2009 10:17:00 UTC | #339714

Lapin Diabolique's Avatar Comment 10 by Lapin Diabolique

‘’Sarmatae1 on March 26, 2009 at 9:24 am
I was always most impressed with Simonyi's philanthropy throughout the years.’’

Are you now?

What else is he supposed to do with that mountain of dough? Spend it on bullshit space trips that serve no other purpose than to ban the ennui from his life after he got tired of banging his trophy wife who could easily be his daughter?

What a pathetic cliché turd this dude is.

Thu, 26 Mar 2009 10:36:00 UTC | #339746

mcarp's Avatar Comment 11 by mcarp

7. Comment #355848 by Alexis Yourcenar on March 26, 2009 at 9:57 am

I bloody hope so! These launches are the one of the pinnacles of human achievement. We are the only species capable of leaving the planet. That is no small deal. Why do we do it? Because its there and we want to know about it. Curiosity sir, without which you would have no science.

Thu, 26 Mar 2009 10:37:00 UTC | #339747

NewEnglandBob's Avatar Comment 12 by NewEnglandBob

7. Comment #355848 by Alexis Yourcenar:

Charles Simonyi (see Wikipedia) is the same one who endowed this:

Professor Richard Dawkins was the first holder of the Charles Simonyi Chair in the Public Understanding of Science at the University of Oxford.

That makes him very relevant.

Thu, 26 Mar 2009 10:38:00 UTC | #339749

neanderslob's Avatar Comment 13 by neanderslob

It's gotta be a close second to putting massive, shiny hubcaps on a car with plasma TVs in the headrests. You know, some of them keep spinning after you stop.

Thu, 26 Mar 2009 10:45:00 UTC | #339761

DiveMedic's Avatar Comment 14 by DiveMedic

Wow, such snobbery coming from some.

Yes, he is a billionaire who is using his cash to do what many are stuck merely dreaming of. Could the money be spent on much more important things? Sure, but let the man have his fun.

I think the cool thing about stories like this is that space travel is getting closer to being available to the common person (I am only $34.99 million away!!!!) While not a scientific development, it does allow some of us to momentarily relive what it seems was a common dream of our youth.

I will definitely agree that the fact that the age difference between he and his wife is 7 years greater than that between my daughter and I is beyond creepy.

Thu, 26 Mar 2009 10:55:00 UTC | #339770

huzonfurst's Avatar Comment 15 by huzonfurst

Oh come on, Alexis and Lapin - the $35 million was a welcome contribution to the exploration of space, at least as valuable as any charity I can think of. I'd do the same in a heartbeat!

Thu, 26 Mar 2009 10:59:00 UTC | #339777

mitch_486's Avatar Comment 16 by mitch_486

I'd have been much happier seeing that money spent on something worthwhile for humanity.

Although I'd be hard-pressed not to do the same as him, with that much money.

Thu, 26 Mar 2009 11:00:00 UTC | #339780

Big City's Avatar Comment 17 by Big City

I believe this level of frivolity and selfishness is immoral. That money could have saved and changed many suffering people's lives.

Thu, 26 Mar 2009 11:08:00 UTC | #339787

huzonfurst's Avatar Comment 18 by huzonfurst

Mitch and Big City, do you really think that space exploration has no value' Ever hear of weather and communication satellites, not to mention the discoveries made by Hubble and all the other instruments put up there' These are long-term investments, with a record of paying off very handsomely indeed.

How are you guys connected to the Internet, by the way - with smoke signals (not that there's anything wrong with that...)'

Thu, 26 Mar 2009 11:09:00 UTC | #339789

mitch_486's Avatar Comment 19 by mitch_486

19. Comment #355956 by huzonfurst on March 26, 2009 at 11:09 am

Huh? This guy is nothing but a rich American looking for a thrill ride.....he's anything but a science-based space explorer.
Of course I believe in space exploration, look at my avatar...

My posting had nothing to do with space itself, only with the bozo orbiting the earth at this very moment.

.....no idea what to say here

Thu, 26 Mar 2009 11:23:00 UTC | #339806

huzonfurst's Avatar Comment 20 by huzonfurst

He just donated $35 million to the Russian space program - how can you object to that£!

Thu, 26 Mar 2009 11:25:00 UTC | #339809

kaiserkriss's Avatar Comment 21 by kaiserkriss

Quetz: I was well aware that RD held the Charles Simonyi Chair at Oxford.

If anything I was taking a dig at Josh for posting something relatively frivolous and ignoring other things "In the News" that would seem to be more appropriate to the aims of this site such as http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20090320.LSCIENCE20/TPStory/?query=belief science

"Science is my job - faith is my rock"

This suggestion, which in my opinion is quite relevant to this site, was simply ignored.. jcw

Thu, 26 Mar 2009 11:26:00 UTC | #339812

mcarp's Avatar Comment 22 by mcarp

Wow. It's really sad to see the disdain for space travel by people who I would presume love science. To say that it isn't a scientific development is extremely short sighted in my opinion. Right, we already figured out the rocket science, but every moment someone spends in space is experience gained about how to live in space, work with tools in space. This is similar to asking why we didn't keep making wooden wheels, after all, a lot of wagon wheel makers lost their jobs. Shame on the auto industry. Is there no one who thinks we will ultimately plant our genes on other worlds? If anything, it's what genes do best!

Thu, 26 Mar 2009 11:27:00 UTC | #339814

mitch_486's Avatar Comment 23 by mitch_486

Not donated at all, that's how much he paid.

Thu, 26 Mar 2009 11:28:00 UTC | #339816

ridelo's Avatar Comment 25 by ridelo

I see it like this: Charles Simonyi spends 35 Mdollars on space exploration and asks a small retribution in the form of a space trip. Let him have it.
Safe homecoming, Charles!

Thu, 26 Mar 2009 11:35:00 UTC | #339823

Veon's Avatar Comment 24 by Veon

What do you think the Russian space program uses the money they are paid for, Bling?

Granted some of it goes to costs as he did add some weight to the launch.

The jealousy is palpable in here. Yes the man is rich and spend money on himself; but he also spends millions on furthering science.

Thu, 26 Mar 2009 11:35:00 UTC | #339822

mitch_486's Avatar Comment 26 by mitch_486

You're right, I might be a bit jealous. 35 million can do so much, though.

Thu, 26 Mar 2009 11:39:00 UTC | #339828

Lapin Diabolique's Avatar Comment 27 by Lapin Diabolique

''by mcarp on March 26, 2009 at 11:27 am

Wow. It's really sad to see the disdain for space travel..''

No, you dimwit. I have disdain for spoiled gazillionaires who live shatteringly vulgar and worthless lives, while half this planet is starving to death.

I can not believe that any morally sound person would blow 35 mil on a fancy roller coaster ride while he could be doing really important things with that money; like paying off Rod Stewart so he won't ruin any more Tom Waits songs by making offensive and heinous covers like he did with "Downtown train."

Thu, 26 Mar 2009 11:47:00 UTC | #339832

righton's Avatar Comment 28 by righton

"including Simonyi's 28-year-old Swedish socialite wife Lisa Persdotter"

LUCKY!

Thu, 26 Mar 2009 11:53:00 UTC | #339836

Dr. Strangegod's Avatar Comment 29 by Dr. Strangegod

Yeah, well, I hope those people living in the growing tent cities all over the US can catch a gleam of his shuttle in the night sky while they scrape at cans of cold beans with a stick.

Thu, 26 Mar 2009 12:07:00 UTC | #339854

evilgazebo's Avatar Comment 30 by evilgazebo

Sounds great,apart from th having a wife young enough to be your daughter bit,lol,apart from that a GREAT man!

Thu, 26 Mar 2009 12:11:00 UTC | #339863