← Big Ben and Houses of Parliament to switch off the lights for Earth Hour

Big Ben and Houses of Parliament to switch off the lights for Earth Hour - Comments

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 1 by mordacious1

I'll have to check the TV guide before I commit. :)

Sat, 28 Mar 2009 10:21:00 UTC | #340724

EricTheRed's Avatar Comment 2 by EricTheRed

Judging by the rapid changes that are already occurring around the globe I suspect it is already far too late to avoid serious climate change, but I guess we have to do everything we can.

Sat, 28 Mar 2009 10:32:00 UTC | #340730

Dhamma's Avatar Comment 3 by Dhamma

I'm with you, Mordy. Sweden's playing against Portugal at that time, I think. That would mean all of Sweden won't give a damn, and perhaps it will affect the Portuguese as well.

Good thinking - PICK A MONDAY!

Sat, 28 Mar 2009 10:35:00 UTC | #340732

Gobaskof's Avatar Comment 4 by Gobaskof

Let us assume for a second that the power stations react instantly to this lack of demand, and that less CO2 is produced. Each person involved lights 1 standard candle for each 8W low energy bulb they turn off. Each candle produces 13 lumens of light or more importantly just 3.25% of the light from an 8W light bulb. Each candle also burns approximately 50g of carbon (producing 183g of CO2) per hour. Assuming a low efficiency coal power plant producing 1kg of CO2 per kWh of electricity, the candle uses 22.9 times the CO2 of the light bulb (approximately 45 times if assuming an efficient power station).

Therefore even if the power stations manage to compensate for the drop in energy demand, by participating in Earth hour you are getting 3.25% of the light for 23-45 times the pollution. Thus earth hour does not symbolise green energy, or saving the planet, it symbolises primitive technology and ignorant people.

Sat, 28 Mar 2009 11:04:00 UTC | #340738

digibud's Avatar Comment 5 by digibud

why is this here? let's stick to issues of atheism, church/state, evolution, etc. I don't want to come here and find the news of the day even if it is eco friendly drivel. give me atheistic drivel, please.

Sat, 28 Mar 2009 11:27:00 UTC | #340744

Chris Davis's Avatar Comment 6 by Chris Davis

Ah, yes - 'how to do nothing and still feel like you're helping'.

Or is that prayer? I can't remember the difference - these empty gestures all look alike to me in the dark.

Sat, 28 Mar 2009 11:38:00 UTC | #340748

alexo's Avatar Comment 7 by alexo

Sorry digibud but have you ever wondered why no religious organisation has really admitted to the fact that human beings cause climate change and the more people there are on this world the bigger the problem, and do they ever exhort their flock to breed less? Of course not because then they would have less adherents and risk losing ground (and thus power and influence) to other faiths who also have the same agenda. Recent example: The pope and condoms, it has nothing to to with aids and he doesn't give a damn about the suffering caused by it.

Sat, 28 Mar 2009 11:43:00 UTC | #340749

Greyed's Avatar Comment 8 by Greyed

digibud: It's obvious why it is here. Global Warm... er... Climate Change is as much a religion as any other. First off "Climate Change" is a meaningless phrase since the climate always changes. It replaced Global Warming when it was realized that the globe wasn't much warming any longer.

Sat, 28 Mar 2009 12:07:00 UTC | #340754

benrinnes's Avatar Comment 9 by benrinnes

Oh, they're doing a Mexican Wave with lights, --- or rather without lights.

Sat, 28 Mar 2009 12:19:00 UTC | #340756

stephensmith's Avatar Comment 10 by stephensmith

So for one hour, one particularly annoying subset of the Self-Righteous will be huddling in the dark, pretending to be saving the world -- and not bothering anyone else while the rest of us go about enjoying life as usual. Sounds like a win!

Sat, 28 Mar 2009 12:30:00 UTC | #340759

Guel's Avatar Comment 11 by Guel

When that hour comes i'm gonna turn on all the lights in my house and listen with full volume Highway to Hell from AC/DC.

Sorry, but how retarded those eco "pain in the ass" can be?

Carlin agrees with me :)

Sat, 28 Mar 2009 12:31:00 UTC | #340760

Utakata's Avatar Comment 12 by Utakata

It's like Xmas and the "spirit of giving." Why can't we do this every day?

Sat, 28 Mar 2009 12:40:00 UTC | #340765

LeeLeeOne's Avatar Comment 13 by LeeLeeOne

I'd love to "join" but my lights are already off, and have only minutes to enjoy my "battery life" for my computer - flood waters dictate more. Use a minute of your off-grid time for those in US (MN, ND, SD, and MT) and Manitoba. The Missouri weeps and the Red River still runs north.

Sat, 28 Mar 2009 12:49:00 UTC | #340767

JackR's Avatar Comment 14 by JackR

Every hour is dark in my house.

*sob*

Sat, 28 Mar 2009 13:08:00 UTC | #340773

Guel's Avatar Comment 15 by Guel

7. Comment #356943 by alexo
"Sorry digibud but have you ever wondered why no religious organisation has really admitted to the fact that human beings cause climate change and the more people there are on this world the bigger the problem..."

Many scientist would say that human influence is minor when compared to other causes.
I really don't care about this campaign. It's irrelevant and misleading. I'm scared of WWF and other Eco Religious fascists...

Sat, 28 Mar 2009 13:08:00 UTC | #340774

Drool's Avatar Comment 16 by Drool

4. Comment #356932 by Gobaskof
Forgive me if I'm a little sceptical of your figures - can you tell us where you got 50 grams per hour from? I couldn't find definitive research on the matter, but it seems a little off...

(About to light the beeswax...)

Sat, 28 Mar 2009 13:30:00 UTC | #340777

Guel's Avatar Comment 17 by Guel

The truth is power stations will keep doing what they do, non stop. The effect will be null. This is supposed to be symbolic but some people are actually saying this is going to have an effect on the green house effect. This is a lie. It's not even certain that human activity ever since industrial revolution had an important influence in climate chance. People are going nuts over this. Maybe Al Gore (whose ideas about climate chance are disputed in some books by actual scientists), is to blame...

I recomend reading the Skeptic Special issue about climate chance. Specially Patrick Frank article that claims that the idea of anthropogenic CO2 is responsible for the current warming of the Earth is scientifically insupportable...

Sat, 28 Mar 2009 13:51:00 UTC | #340778

Drool's Avatar Comment 18 by Drool

"The truth is power stations will keep doing what they do, non stop."

Is that true of all types of power stations?

Sat, 28 Mar 2009 14:04:00 UTC | #340783

Carl Sai Baba's Avatar Comment 19 by Carl Sai Baba

Hey! I am the one true ruler of the Church of the Nailed Biscuit! Drool's cartoonish approximation is an insult to the CruciCrisp! THis will mean riots in the street! It will be a minor riot, as I am the only member, but still, not cool.

Sat, 28 Mar 2009 14:13:00 UTC | #340787

Carl Sai Baba's Avatar Comment 20 by Carl Sai Baba

Also, this Earth Hour thing is retarded. Seriously, everyone is already "aware", and the functional benefits are probably zero.

Sat, 28 Mar 2009 14:16:00 UTC | #340788

KRKBAB's Avatar Comment 21 by KRKBAB

It's been said that Atheists happen to be mostly of the liberal (American usage) political slant. I think this is true but maybe not as lopsided as some say it is- and I'm glad it's not because the diversity gives us more credibility.
I do get the feeling (please prove me wrong here, I like to learn) that whenever certain issues come up, like human induced climate changes (you know, no matter how it's stated, there will be dozens of people to take issue with the terminology) that the conservative (again, American usage) atheists come to the forefront with all of this data and pronounce how naive and sheeplike anyone who "buys" this global climate change thing. I don't really give a damn about individuals with scientific claims, all I care about is what the general populace of the National Academy of Scientists or the international science community's stance on the issue is.
And can we dispense with all of the calculations of wattage and the like? Isn't it obvious that this is about solidarity and conscious raising, or am my again being a naive liberal sheep?

Sat, 28 Mar 2009 14:18:00 UTC | #340789

bachfiend's Avatar Comment 22 by bachfiend

Gawddammit, I missed Earth Day yet again. I went to sleep last night (as usual) at 8 pm, and so didn't have any lights on to turn off at 8:30 pm. Actually, I'm a bit tired this morning. At 3 am, Western Australia went off daylight saving, so I set the alarm clock to wake me up at 3 am, went through the entire house and put all the clocks back one hour, and then one hour later, I turned off the alarm clock when it went off again...

Sat, 28 Mar 2009 14:51:00 UTC | #340796

bluebird's Avatar Comment 23 by bluebird

I'd prefer Earth Hour to be awareness of light pollution. Sustained light reduction would have a positive, immediate & tangible effect on wildlife, star gazing, human health, etc. etc.

That said, I'm anxious to hear the results of the Dec. Copenhagen Conference:

K.C. is not officially participating in Earth Hour :/, but the council did pass a resolution urging citizens to observe Earth Hour :) If our heavy snowstorm does not abate, we may be in the dark anyway!

Sat, 28 Mar 2009 14:53:00 UTC | #340798

Jivlain's Avatar Comment 24 by Jivlain

Earth Hour is a great opportunity for backyard astronomy, even though it's unlikely to have any actual effect on global warming.

Sat, 28 Mar 2009 15:29:00 UTC | #340802

Guel's Avatar Comment 25 by Guel

24. Comment #356997 by Jivlain

Oh Yeah. If that was the cause i would agree and support. It would be cool.

Sat, 28 Mar 2009 15:45:00 UTC | #340807

Guel's Avatar Comment 26 by Guel

18. Comment #356977 by Drool

Dunno :/

Sat, 28 Mar 2009 15:51:00 UTC | #340809

Guel's Avatar Comment 27 by Guel

21. Comment #356983 by KRKBAB

So what do you say of this.
Please ignore the stupid journalist
It's possible that this is actually not raising consciousness. On the contrary...

Sat, 28 Mar 2009 15:54:00 UTC | #340810

elise97's Avatar Comment 28 by elise97

if theres one thing that pisses me off more than woo, its the anti global warming brigade and their shitty little comments. some people think that just cos they can work out god doesnt exist (wow, have a gold star for that amazing deduction) it makes them a fucking scientific genius. dicks

Sat, 28 Mar 2009 16:00:00 UTC | #340811

Guel's Avatar Comment 29 by Guel

28. Comment #357006 by elise97

Shitty little comments? Grow up. I've presented some reading from a serious magazine (Skeptic). Read it if you want something less shitty. But your attitude is normal. There's a kind of Eco Fascism growing up out there. Nuts...

Sat, 28 Mar 2009 16:05:00 UTC | #340812

Guel's Avatar Comment 30 by Guel

Ei Elise 97, here's another dick for you :)

Sat, 28 Mar 2009 16:07:00 UTC | #340813