← Following atheist trend, Britons seek 'de-baptism'

Following atheist trend, Britons seek 'de-baptism' - Comments

Stephen Maxwell's Avatar Comment 2 by Stephen Maxwell

Personally, I think this de-baptism nonsense is a waste of time.

My baptism is meaningless to me and that's about all there is to say about it. I don't see the point in pursuing a piece of paper which means just as much to me as the baptism itself...

Mon, 30 Mar 2009 07:49:00 UTC | #341486

pkruger's Avatar Comment 1 by pkruger

I think this a little much, and if anything could potentially create hostile situations rather than preserving some sort of inner peace with the denouncers. I think the act of being baptised is more for the feeling of holiness of those involved as baptisers, rather than the baptisee--and if they still see me as being baptised, then so what? I was baptised as an infant, and right now I really couldn't care less if I was or not. If one feels the need to remove the shackles of any of their religious past, sobeit--but I feel an indifferent approach to what occurred in the past is more than sufficient here.

Mon, 30 Mar 2009 07:49:00 UTC | #341484

DoctorE's Avatar Comment 3 by DoctorE

Just mock religion, thats all the de-baptism you ever need.

Mon, 30 Mar 2009 07:52:00 UTC | #341487

SaganTheCat's Avatar Comment 4 by SaganTheCat

I considered this but as an ex catholic, I realise baptism is only one sacrament

so while I'd like this certificate it means nothing until I can also deconfess (I could do that, just tell a priest to mind his own business), take decommunion (throw up a few years worth of crackers and wine - btw Hi to Mandette if she's lurking, nice decommunion on saturday!), then I need to deconfirm (wohoo! this is where I get to slap my bishop!)

Mon, 30 Mar 2009 07:57:00 UTC | #341489

FixReasonFirmly's Avatar Comment 5 by FixReasonFirmly

They think it the job of the church to give a baptism, but it is between you and God if you want to have a de-baptism. We can all see that makes perfect sense, if you want to indoctrinate children.Then they say we can't undo it because it is between you and God.

Mon, 30 Mar 2009 07:58:00 UTC | #341490

scarecroe's Avatar Comment 6 by scarecroe

I agree with reply #1, that being baptised is more for the baptisers, rather than the baptisees. But I would like to take back my Confirmation which I took part in at the age of 15. The church considers you an "adult" by then, capable of making a decision to confirm your choice of religion. It's a dirty trick of course, because how many of us at 15 really knew much better than we'd been taught our entire lives. In my experience, most people raised in a religion don't really start to get an awakening until late teens or early 20s.

So, how do I unConfirm myself?

Mon, 30 Mar 2009 08:01:00 UTC | #341494

toddaa's Avatar Comment 7 by toddaa

Real infidels get excommunicated.

Mon, 30 Mar 2009 08:04:00 UTC | #341496

rod-the-farmer's Avatar Comment 8 by rod-the-farmer

We need a lawyer with the time and resources to challenge ALL baptisms of infants, on the basis that the contract was entered into before the infant was of sufficient age to understand the various terms. This case, if successful, would not prevent anyone who truly wishes to be baptised, from doing the ceremony all over again, just this time as an adult. Who wants to guess the numbers who take up this opportunity would be very small indeed ?

Mon, 30 Mar 2009 08:05:00 UTC | #341497

Agrajag's Avatar Comment 9 by Agrajag

6. Comment #357695 by scarecroe on March 30, 2009 at 9:01 am

So, how do I unConfirm myself?

I think you just did!

This might give you some ideas: http://www.youtube.com/watch£v=V8PCecgWKeI
:-)
Steve

Mon, 30 Mar 2009 08:08:00 UTC | #341498

Vanpastel's Avatar Comment 10 by Vanpastel

If that was the case here in Spain I wouldn't even bother with this "de-baptism" (wouldn't apostasy be a better term?) but here in Spain the church does use his registers to say "hear hear, 90% (I'm not sure if this is the exact figure) of spanish people are Catholics," so yes, I will in a future get my name out of the records of the church.

Edited for spelling.

Mon, 30 Mar 2009 08:08:00 UTC | #341499

Opisthokont's Avatar Comment 11 by Opisthokont

This is not much, but it is a gesture that I welcome.

Now, if only circumcision were not so permanent....

Mon, 30 Mar 2009 08:15:00 UTC | #341501

SaganTheCat's Avatar Comment 12 by SaganTheCat

So, how do I unConfirm myself£

told you. slap your bishop!

Mon, 30 Mar 2009 08:18:00 UTC | #341502

hungarianelephant's Avatar Comment 13 by hungarianelephant

The Church of England said its official position was not to amend its records. "Renouncing baptism is a matter between the individual and God," a Church spokesman told AFP.

"We are not a 'membership' church, and do not keep a running total of the number of baptised people in the Church of England, and such totals do not feature in the statistics that we regularly publish," he added.

That's right. They fabricate entirely different statistics. For example by counting the total number of church attendances in a month. If someone comes twice every Sunday, that counts as eight attendees, or ten in a blue moon.

However, the Catholic church certainly does count baptisms. For any given individual, this is probably a waste of time, but overall it does draw attention to the fact that the numbers are rigged.

Mon, 30 Mar 2009 08:29:00 UTC | #341505

Dhamma's Avatar Comment 14 by Dhamma

I've never even considered this to be a possibility. I left the church when I was three (according to 'my' priest), but I doubt that would make me de-baptised.

Perhaps I should look it up. It could certainly serve as a pretty strong message to the nutters out there.

Mon, 30 Mar 2009 08:42:00 UTC | #341508

HenryFord's Avatar Comment 15 by HenryFord

My original thought was that this was a waste of time - I don't need a piece of paper to feel confident in who I am nor what I believe.

However, every day that presure is being applied to organised religion, whether it be through bus adverts, blasphemy challenges or deconversions, is another day that secularists and humanists are declearing very loudly and with pride that we exist and will not be ridden over again.

So I've got to agree with hungarianelephant. On the individual scale there isn't much point, but getting a whole bunch of people telling the churches to piss off reinforces the fact we are here.

Mon, 30 Mar 2009 08:45:00 UTC | #341509

VanYoungman's Avatar Comment 16 by VanYoungman

Since I was baptised before the legal "age of consent", I don't consider myself baptised.

It gets legally interesting for those renewing their baptismal vows or being baptised as an adult.

Anyway, I think is much ado about nothing.

Mon, 30 Mar 2009 08:50:00 UTC | #341510

zecat's Avatar Comment 17 by zecat

Last year I wrote a letter to the church (RCC) asking them to remove me from their records. They told me they can only add a note in their registry stating that I decided to do leave the church. They said they can't remove my name from the registry, since baptism marks an historical event.

I must say I don't think it was a waste of time doing this. It took me just a few minutes writing the letter, and the answer I got was well worth the postage. They warned me that if I confirmed my decision to leave, then I would be officially and automatically excommunicated!

I know it might sound childish, but I had to laugh myself sick when I read their letter, and I felt really great that day. Yes, I confirmed of course, via email so I didn't have to pay for a second postage.

Since pope's recents comments, my sister decided to do the same. I just sent her the template letter :-)

Officially excommunicated! I think that rocks. I'm gonna have it on a t-shirt or something...

Mon, 30 Mar 2009 09:06:00 UTC | #341513

cerad's Avatar Comment 18 by cerad

Consider the case where someone gets de-baptized then changes their mind and decides to get baptized again. Would they first have to obtain a de-de-baptized certificate? Could get confusing.

Mon, 30 Mar 2009 09:06:00 UTC | #341514

God fearing Atheist's Avatar Comment 19 by God fearing Atheist

An atheist baptised as an infant is no issue. However, an adult telling "their" church they want to be de-baptised is a political gesture that the churches will ignore until de-baptism 5,678,371 (or there about :-) ) - then the penny will drop! Ha.

Mon, 30 Mar 2009 09:15:00 UTC | #341517

TomWoolf's Avatar Comment 20 by TomWoolf

Why bother? I don't consider myself part of any religion, even though I was baptized in the Catholic church and even took 1st communion (but was never confirmed). My baptism means nothing - I had nothing to do with it. I give that baptism as much weight and thought as I do "original sin" - I had nothing to do with either (and both are meaningless). For those of you who wish to do it - fire away. (not that you need my permission or anything...)

Anybody who believes this is a "hostile" gesture had better be screaming the same thing at the Mormons who are "converting" or baptizing dead people. At least the un-baptism is a personal act done at will, not an attempted abduction of somebody's soul. (If you believe in that sort of thing.)

Come to think of it, I can see one very useful purpose of this document... If your family is very religious, but you are not, you may be subject to religious baloney at your funeral when you die. This document could be used to deflect that from happening.

Mon, 30 Mar 2009 09:23:00 UTC | #341519

glenister_m's Avatar Comment 21 by glenister_m

I am the only one of my siblings who was baptized, and had I been given the choice I would have been the most resistant to have been. (This was for my great-grandmother's sake, who was horrified that my parents had been living with a hethen for 3 months before I was baptized)

I was in England in the 1990's, when April 1 fell on a sunday, and I considered dropping by a church and asking to be excommunicated - I thought it would have been an appropriate day to make that statement. However I was baptized Church of England, I gather that excommunication is a Catholic thing and so wouldn't work£££ Is there an equivalent process for COE£

Mon, 30 Mar 2009 09:29:00 UTC | #341523

IceFreak2000's Avatar Comment 22 by IceFreak2000

I've just ordered my De-Baptism Certificate; I know it's essentially meaningless, but my mischievous side just can't wait to hang it up at home - some members of my family are still Bible-thumping Catholics and this will annoy them no end!

Mon, 30 Mar 2009 09:56:00 UTC | #341529

Eventhorizon's Avatar Comment 23 by Eventhorizon

I at least take heart from the thought that the harder the church try to assert themselves the harder the people seem to fight back

Mon, 30 Mar 2009 10:04:00 UTC | #341531

Dr. Strangegod's Avatar Comment 24 by Dr. Strangegod

Won't have to debaptize, thanks to my wonderful parents who, against the protests of my Catholic paternal grandparents and Protestant maternal grandparents, refused to baptize me as an infant. They took a lot of heat for that, so I am very appreciative. "Damn hippies!"

Mon, 30 Mar 2009 10:08:00 UTC | #341533

DiveMedic's Avatar Comment 25 by DiveMedic

Upon reading the title of this article, I thought it was a joke; pay a bit of money, get a certificate, hang it on your fridge... end of story.

I sincerely hope that people are only taking the time to challenge laws as some sort of (rather poor, in my opinion) publicity stunt. If people are truly engaging in this and thinking that it is some sort of profound need, they really need to pull their heads out of their asses.

That said, I would pay a couple of bucks for a debaptism certificate.

Mon, 30 Mar 2009 10:18:00 UTC | #341537

Eventhorizon's Avatar Comment 26 by Eventhorizon

Completely off topic I know but those in the UK may want to have a look at BBC2 tomorrow at 7
Have a look at this clip and watch what happens to your blood pressure...

Mon, 30 Mar 2009 10:19:00 UTC | #341538

liberalartist's Avatar Comment 27 by liberalartist

Churches tend to use their numbers to promote their political clout, so a large number of de-baptisms will weaken them, which is a good thing. I think this also can lead to a good discussion on the folly of baptising babies who have no right or ability to make choices for themselves.

In Catholic countries there is a very strong feeling of wanting to punish the church by leaving it

I can relate to that.

Mon, 30 Mar 2009 10:20:00 UTC | #341539

PaulJ's Avatar Comment 28 by PaulJ

For those baptized into the Catholic Church, I think this is a worthwhile thing to do, as the Catholics do keep records of baptisms.

For Anglicans it's different - the CofE probably doesn't care, in its wishy-washy way, if you never again enter a church after your christening. Even if it keeps records, they aren't used for anything significant.

So being de-baptized from the Anglican Church would be no more than symbolic. Mind you, some symbolic things can be taken literally even by the CofE - I'm reminded of the fracas over Women Bishops.

Mon, 30 Mar 2009 10:25:00 UTC | #341542

Swordmaiden's Avatar Comment 29 by Swordmaiden

was "Christened" in a C of E church as a baby but it never bothers me; it was just the done thing; an excuse for sherry and cake! When I recently told my mum I was an Atheist she said, " but you were Christened!" Had to laugh. I purposefully did not get my son christened, long before I realised I was an atheist.
I would make a point of getting un-christened if it meant striking a public blow to the Church...like a publicity stunt. Maybe we should all do this in a public park or something....stir up some headlines for the cause!

Mon, 30 Mar 2009 10:30:00 UTC | #341547

Pidge's Avatar Comment 31 by Pidge

I support de-baptism if that is what a person wants. If that provides a bit of money to the NSS then again I have no complaints.

It is also a way to raise awareness of the rejection of religion - I was baptized against my will when I was a baby - that was just symbolism of course, but the church embraced it, they should also embrace my decision as a adult to undo that symbolism.

If people do this, then it will be reported that X-thousand of people are de-baptized and that will mean something. If only a few do it then it will just look like a failed publicity stunt.

Mon, 30 Mar 2009 10:31:00 UTC | #341550