← Evolution study focuses on snail

Evolution study focuses on snail - Comments

black wolf's Avatar Comment 1 by black wolf

Here's a link to the site:

Tue, 31 Mar 2009 07:06:00 UTC | #342033

Shaker's Avatar Comment 2 by Shaker

Anybody doing the Open University course 'Darwin and Evolution' (S170) which starts in May will probably already be aware of this - it features in the coursework, IIRC.

Tue, 31 Mar 2009 07:08:00 UTC | #342038

The Hogfather's Avatar Comment 3 by The Hogfather

Yep I'm doing the course S170 (the one that started in Feb)- I am not at the megalab stage yet though.

Tue, 31 Mar 2009 08:03:00 UTC | #342070

Francis Clarke's Avatar Comment 4 by Francis Clarke

I don't think I've seen many of the yellow banded ones. It's mostly the ones that are better suited to colder conditions, the brown ones. As for the climate, with the recent cold spells it should be interesting to see if the snail populations vary with the recent changes.

Tue, 31 Mar 2009 08:42:00 UTC | #342094

bluebird's Avatar Comment 5 by bluebird

...thrushes have become far less common...

~~HBD to Haydn & Rachmaninov~~

Tue, 31 Mar 2009 09:42:00 UTC | #342116

Dr Doctor's Avatar Comment 6 by Dr Doctor

I'm in, this year I will not be chucking any more snails into the valley below the house after I pick them off the walls or trying to flog them to the neighbours.

Tue, 31 Mar 2009 10:46:00 UTC | #342133

dougie's Avatar Comment 7 by dougie

This is a fantastic study, im taking the Darwin and Evolution course, it is brilliant...I hope to finish the course at end of April....I would recommend this to anyone....or should I say, to any of you monkeys ....

Tue, 31 Mar 2009 12:12:00 UTC | #342158

Mr DArcy's Avatar Comment 8 by Mr DArcy

Lettuce pray for no more snails.

Tue, 31 Mar 2009 13:23:00 UTC | #342181

Shaker's Avatar Comment 9 by Shaker

Glad to see two of you fine peeps doing the OU course ... I can't wait for May to roll around!

Tue, 31 Mar 2009 16:31:00 UTC | #342260

Lainey's Avatar Comment 10 by Lainey

I'm doing the Volcanoes / Earthquakes / Tsunamis short course, the Darwin and Evolution one is next on my list. Glad to hear other people are enjoying it, I'll sign up for the May one I think, since this first one is going well.

As a side note it's interesting to me how much of the volcanic / geology stuff relates to evolution, and I've also picked up bits about some of the other things Darwin did. Loving OU so far!

Wed, 01 Apr 2009 05:28:00 UTC | #342414

PERSON's Avatar Comment 11 by PERSON

Have a look at the openlearn study materials at http://openlearn.open.ac.uk/ There are quite a few openlearn videos on YouTube as well. I mention them because it was a while before I realised they existed when I was looking for Open University stuff.

Wed, 01 Apr 2009 08:36:00 UTC | #342491

Lainey's Avatar Comment 12 by Lainey

Thanks Person, I didn't realise that existed either.

Wed, 01 Apr 2009 09:34:00 UTC | #342522

nickalito's Avatar Comment 13 by nickalito

Yay! they posted the article I submitted! :o)

Sun, 05 Apr 2009 22:15:00 UTC | #344393

AlanWyatt's Avatar Comment 14 by AlanWyatt

Part of the Open University course S170 Darwin and Evolution is based around the Evolution Megalab.

So, you'll be sick of the sight of them if you do that lol

Fri, 27 Nov 2009 00:30:00 UTC | #417214