← Open-mindedness

Open-mindedness - Comments

headcold's Avatar Comment 1 by headcold

This video is fucking intense!!!

Okay, it's not really intense at all, but it is pretty interesting.

Wed, 01 Apr 2009 16:16:00 UTC | #342670

lackofgravitas's Avatar Comment 2 by lackofgravitas

Love the Jack Kirby!
good vid too.

Wed, 01 Apr 2009 16:17:00 UTC | #342672

SPS's Avatar Comment 3 by SPS

Well said, video guy. A lot of good stuff covered in under ten minutes.

Wed, 01 Apr 2009 16:45:00 UTC | #342677

noahidios's Avatar Comment 4 by noahidios

hey, i already watched this video! i am even subscribed to the guy who made it. does any one know how you could post a link here of something you liked for others to see?

Wed, 01 Apr 2009 16:49:00 UTC | #342680

SPS's Avatar Comment 6 by SPS

Hi noahidios,

If you mean post it within an article thread, you just post the web address in your comment. But, I assume you mean an article, or video, or something, in which case you can e-mail the link to articles@richarddawkins.net.

You can take a look here:

Wed, 01 Apr 2009 16:58:00 UTC | #342684

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 5 by Ignorant Amos

may take a few viewings to get all onboard!!!

Wed, 01 Apr 2009 16:58:00 UTC | #342683

Metch's Avatar Comment 7 by Metch

If you open your mind too much your brain will fall out..

Wed, 01 Apr 2009 17:14:00 UTC | #342686

noahidios's Avatar Comment 8 by noahidios

thanks SPS, i'll use that next time i find something interesting. there is a funny video i found on youtube, i am not too sure it would get posted the way this article did because it is satire but i think its too funny to miss. you have to be familiar with the so called "worst atheist nightmare" banana video by Kirk Cameron, maybe you can tell me what you think.

Wed, 01 Apr 2009 17:19:00 UTC | #342687

helen sotiriadis's Avatar Comment 9 by helen sotiriadis

wonderful video

Wed, 01 Apr 2009 17:21:00 UTC | #342688

weavehole's Avatar Comment 10 by weavehole

Intensely intense!

"I cannot evaluate that claim without further data" mucho funsy!

Wed, 01 Apr 2009 17:24:00 UTC | #342691

Friend Giskard's Avatar Comment 11 by Friend Giskard

This needs to be shown in every school, to every class, first thing every morning. First rate.

Wed, 01 Apr 2009 17:26:00 UTC | #342694

Fuzzy Duck's Avatar Comment 12 by Fuzzy Duck

Very good video. Lots of stuff covered. I'll show it to friends. I know some people who could use this.

-Kevin Schreck

Wed, 01 Apr 2009 17:32:00 UTC | #342698

Fizzle's Avatar Comment 13 by Fizzle

I second #11. Excellent video. Concise, precise and visually engaging.

Also true ;)

Wed, 01 Apr 2009 17:38:00 UTC | #342703

TheLordHumungus's Avatar Comment 14 by TheLordHumungus

I love this guy, watch his other videos if you haven't already. Thanks to this one, I now have the best way to get out of a bad conversation:

I can't evaluate this conversation without further data, excuse me.

Ohhh, I can't wait.

Wed, 01 Apr 2009 17:48:00 UTC | #342707

TheCRZA's Avatar Comment 15 by TheCRZA

well done!

Wed, 01 Apr 2009 18:11:00 UTC | #342714

infinitum17's Avatar Comment 16 by infinitum17

wow, that as a GREAT video.

Wed, 01 Apr 2009 19:06:00 UTC | #342731

NormanDoering's Avatar Comment 17 by NormanDoering

Actually, there's a lot of good atheist videos on youtube:

Drop a comment into my blog post and share your favorite atheist youtube video.

Wed, 01 Apr 2009 19:10:00 UTC | #342733

b0ltzm0n's Avatar Comment 18 by b0ltzm0n

I really wish this video would have been shown to me in the 6th grade. Then it wouldn't have taken me until I reached the 10th grade before I realized I lacked belief in the supernatural.

Wed, 01 Apr 2009 19:17:00 UTC | #342735

chuckg's Avatar Comment 19 by chuckg

I immediately sent the link to everybody in my address book. Fantastic!

Wed, 01 Apr 2009 19:56:00 UTC | #342746

prolibertas's Avatar Comment 20 by prolibertas

My own experience is mostly with New Agers. They're my pick for the most prime example of what this video is arguing against. On the one hand they elevate open-mindedness to be the highest ideal, but on the other hand their definition of open-mindedness seems to be just believing whatever anybody says so long as the belief makes them happy. No wonder there's such a ridiculous proliferation of woo in the New Age quarter. As well as, of course, a contempt for scientists, who are so arrogant and closed-minded as to actually demand evidence for beliefs...

Wed, 01 Apr 2009 19:57:00 UTC | #342749

helical4's Avatar Comment 21 by helical4

Great video! However, I think the message will be wasted on the very peole that it is meant for.

Wed, 01 Apr 2009 20:42:00 UTC | #342760

Dr. Strangegod's Avatar Comment 22 by Dr. Strangegod

Quite nice. (That's faux-Kirby though, or just a bit of paste-in with tablet drawn stuff.) Really liked the head/brain diagram at the end, and I very much appreciate the stress on "supernatural" as opposed to "religion". All too often that's what we really mean. The big argument is not so much science vs. religion; those are just the surface manifestations, or patterns of action, that come from drastically differing views of reality. I think evidence based naturalism vs. belief based supernaturalism is a better way to think about it.

Wed, 01 Apr 2009 20:47:00 UTC | #342762

Cents's Avatar Comment 23 by Cents

Great to hear such logical views such as the ones found here at RD.net as well as various Evolution and Atheist websites that I have bookmarked. The speed of his monologue add an extra intensity to his insightful message. Wonderfully done. I've subscribed to his videos as well.

Wed, 01 Apr 2009 20:51:00 UTC | #342763

Roland_F's Avatar Comment 24 by Roland_F

Excellent !

Remind me that lot’s of posters here using Id’s like ‘Be open Mindend’ , ‘Clearmind’ or ‘Clearthinker’ etc… are not very open minded themselves and fit exactly the description in the video.

Wed, 01 Apr 2009 20:55:00 UTC | #342764

quantum_flux's Avatar Comment 25 by quantum_flux

I shall chose what to open and close my mind on, and I shall choose to close my mind to this video as of 3:27 because the production of it stinks.

Wed, 01 Apr 2009 21:15:00 UTC | #342765

quantum_flux's Avatar Comment 26 by quantum_flux

April Fools, the video was actually quite good.

Wed, 01 Apr 2009 21:21:00 UTC | #342766

Jesus86's Avatar Comment 27 by Jesus86

I would put it this way: An open-minded person entertains ideas that have or at least could have evidence for or against them to be discovered. A closed-minded person only entertains ideas to which he or she is emotionally attached.

This contrast is broader than the science vs. religion or even natural vs. supernatural divides. A secular naturalist can be closed-minded based on wishful thinking, for example. ("I so wish for this or that to be true that I believe it regardless of where the preponderance of evidence lies...")

In fact, I would hazzard to say that political correctness is as big a cause of closed-mindedness these days among secular naturalists as religion is among the religious. That has been one of my recurring critical themes on this website, actually. Political correctness is just as dogmatic as religion.

Political correctness leads people to believe theories (anthropogenic global warming, certain forms of feminism, anti-market economics like Marxism, etc.) because they are emotionally attached to the ethics behind the theory, rather than because there is any evidence for it. Usually in the teeth of the evidence. The underlying politically correct ethical principles are accepted on the basis of pure emotion rather than any kind of science-based theory, too.

You know instantly that it is emotion that is driving the politically correct belief because the first instinct of the politically correct is to attack the other side's motives or character or ethics rather than responding to their ideas or evidence with rational argument. You see this form of closed-mindedness time and again on this website from secular naturalists. It is the mainstay of academia these days. It really sucks.

Wed, 01 Apr 2009 23:38:00 UTC | #342784

Quetzalcoatl's Avatar Comment 28 by Quetzalcoatl

Jesus86-

People can accept things even if they wish that they weren't true. It would be nice if climate change wasn't happening, but the evidence suggests that it is. We have to follow the evidence. But this isn't the thread for that.

Back on topic- the video is very interesting, and well-argued.

Wed, 01 Apr 2009 23:55:00 UTC | #342788

Oromasdes1978's Avatar Comment 29 by Oromasdes1978

I shall insist, until further evidence is provided that shows this video to be wrong, that all those who wish to play around with evidence from personal feelings etc see this video.

Very good indeed, I like it a lot

BRAVO!

Thu, 02 Apr 2009 00:17:00 UTC | #342792

Beachbum's Avatar Comment 30 by Beachbum

I will recommend this video to all the people I think wouldn't possibly appreciate it, but desperately need the lesson.

Thu, 02 Apr 2009 00:46:00 UTC | #342796