← The thing that made the things for which there is no known maker.

The thing that made the things for which there is no known maker. - Comments

Bruno's Avatar Comment 1 by Bruno

Their are layers of brilliance within this little piece.

Wed, 08 Apr 2009 07:41:00 UTC | #345685

Francis Clarke's Avatar Comment 2 by Francis Clarke

lol

Wed, 08 Apr 2009 07:48:00 UTC | #345696

truthcounts's Avatar Comment 3 by truthcounts

Wonderful, I can not tell you how many times I have this arguement with my christian friends. The old "it had to be made" arguement. It seems so absurd to begin with that I can not believe that it is touted around as "proof of God" time and time again. This puts that whole idea in to the absurd terms it needs to be put into. Unfortunately as with most this stuff the only ones that will watch it are the ones that don't need to.

Wed, 08 Apr 2009 07:53:00 UTC | #345701

antx's Avatar Comment 4 by antx

This guy made more of them. This one I like because it´s so plain to the point:

;-)

Wed, 08 Apr 2009 08:01:00 UTC | #345703

theinquisitor's Avatar Comment 5 by theinquisitor

I strongly recommend all of NonStampCollector's videos.

Wed, 08 Apr 2009 08:05:00 UTC | #345706

NewEnglandBob's Avatar Comment 6 by NewEnglandBob

The thing that made the things for which there is no known maker and that causes and directs the events that we can't otherwise explain and which doesn't need to have been made and is the one thing from which to ask for things that no human can give and without him we can't be fully happy and is unlimited by all the laws of physics and never began and will never finish and is invisible but is actually everywhere at once and who is so perfect that even if he killed millions of people, including babies, he still would be perfect and who is so powerful and magical that he can even make a virgin pregnant if he wanted to..."

Wed, 08 Apr 2009 08:10:00 UTC | #345707

Hominidae's Avatar Comment 7 by Hominidae

hahaha great video...

oh the stupidity of religion and the belief in god

Wed, 08 Apr 2009 08:12:00 UTC | #345709

ustumble's Avatar Comment 9 by ustumble

There are a couple of "animators" on YouTube that are ripping apart religion. NonStampCollector is one of the best.

His videos are here:

Let me also highly recommend 43alley:

He does short animations of the nasty Bible verses.

Wed, 08 Apr 2009 08:16:00 UTC | #345714

thereisnodog's Avatar Comment 8 by thereisnodog

fun to watch...life of brian-esque. I am ever more amazed that people can't see through theism.

Wed, 08 Apr 2009 08:16:00 UTC | #345713

Colwyn Abernathy's Avatar Comment 10 by Colwyn Abernathy

Miss you, Doug. :_(

Wed, 08 Apr 2009 08:19:00 UTC | #345715

Big City's Avatar Comment 11 by Big City

They should have pointed out how much 'He' likes to punish people while still hiding.

ustumble-
I'm still partial to Brad Neely.

Wed, 08 Apr 2009 08:34:00 UTC | #345728

Agrajag's Avatar Comment 12 by Agrajag

I like the little details... like the leper's hand that falls off. :lol:
Steve

Wed, 08 Apr 2009 08:56:00 UTC | #345732

Koreman's Avatar Comment 13 by Koreman

Nonstampcollector is great. Watch all the videos.

Wed, 08 Apr 2009 09:27:00 UTC | #345747

Koreman's Avatar Comment 14 by Koreman

Wed, 08 Apr 2009 09:38:00 UTC | #345752

NormanDoering's Avatar Comment 15 by NormanDoering

Ah yes, NonStampCollector. I just did a post featuring him:

Got more of his videos embedded there, as well as couple other interesting youtube atheists.

Wed, 08 Apr 2009 10:27:00 UTC | #345763

DiveMedic's Avatar Comment 16 by DiveMedic

Wow... I almost fell out of my chair AND pissed myself at the same time. That would have only been the third time that had ever happened to me.

Wed, 08 Apr 2009 11:03:00 UTC | #345780

flying goose's Avatar Comment 17 by flying goose

spoken of,

written off as,

redundant explanation,

but being neither...

Wed, 08 Apr 2009 11:28:00 UTC | #345789

MelM's Avatar Comment 18 by MelM

A god who can do anything works sooo well as the explanation of everything. A deep look at the fundamental physical constants is missing? No problem; God did it. Don't know how life began? No propblem; God did it. .....

Wed, 08 Apr 2009 14:12:00 UTC | #345853

nogodforme's Avatar Comment 19 by nogodforme

Hilarious, yet disturbingly close to the sort of reasoning that people actually use.

I wonder if the name will catch on ...

Wed, 08 Apr 2009 15:15:00 UTC | #345864

NonStampCollector's Avatar Comment 20 by NonStampCollector

Oh my ThingThatMadeTheThings!! I'm featured on Richard Dawkins' website!!!!!!!!

Wed, 08 Apr 2009 15:24:00 UTC | #345867

Friend Giskard's Avatar Comment 21 by Friend Giskard

Awesome!

Wed, 08 Apr 2009 16:03:00 UTC | #345873

Neuro's Avatar Comment 22 by Neuro

...and this is precisely how religion was started.

Wed, 08 Apr 2009 17:31:00 UTC | #345884

windweaver's Avatar Comment 23 by windweaver

A great video.
Theists are always on the lookout for things that are difficult to explain and thus can be explained ie Goddidit. I had a debate with an IDer the other day. He challenged me to explain why beautiful faces follow the proportions of the golden or divine ratio. He thinks God's behind this. Here's the video he directed me to:

Wed, 08 Apr 2009 18:26:00 UTC | #345892

Dhamma's Avatar Comment 24 by Dhamma

Windweaver,

I wonder if this is the same in animals. Would a cat have the golden ratio too? Perhaps animals find the golden ratio attractive as well?

Perhaps there's a biological advantage in the golden ratio?

Wed, 08 Apr 2009 19:20:00 UTC | #345899

theonlybap's Avatar Comment 25 by theonlybap

You'd think this would have to be a misrepresentation, but they ACTUALLY SAY THAT.

Wed, 08 Apr 2009 20:19:00 UTC | #345908

daverussell's Avatar Comment 26 by daverussell

Brilliant. But I was expecting a Dog who appear at the end and start barking...........

Wed, 08 Apr 2009 21:52:00 UTC | #345925

tieInterceptor's Avatar Comment 27 by tieInterceptor

He challenged me to explain why beautiful faces follow the proportions of the golden or divine ratio. He thinks God's behind this. Here's the video he directed me to: Be interested to hear if anyone has an argument to counter the IDer on this point...

I remember hearing something about this, we recognise as "beautiful" the faces that are more symmetrical, and good symmetry is a sign of healthy DNA replication. Therefore evolution favoured this on our 'to like' list...(Why the golden ratio of 3rds is part of it, I'm not sure) also women like man with wider shoulders than hips because it's a sign of physical fitness, and man like in women wide hips because it's a sign of fertility,

then again... I'm not that sure.

Wed, 08 Apr 2009 22:48:00 UTC | #345931

Raiko's Avatar Comment 28 by Raiko

windweaver,

1. Might have a biological advantage (even though this doesn't really address the IDer's problem)

I'm not sure this has been shown more than once or not, but I read - for example - that when the hip/waist ratio in women has a certain value, this indicates they're more fertile. This ratio is realized in models as well as the more chubby ideals of former times (like in Boticelli's Birth of the Venus, I think).

Even if unproven, something similar to that could be the truth of the golden ratio in people's faces - that this proportion is a feature that indicates a hidden advantage of the one who has it and has therefore been evolutionarily established.

2. Search and ye shall find

However, your cdesign proponistist will claim that his argument stands nevertheless - even if fertility went with the golden ratio, this fertility-face-ratio correlation would only make things more amazing and thus prove his point. He will completely overlook how many things do not cater to the golden ratio or anything specific and how easily you can find things that cater to your favorite personal number, if only you search and calculate enough.

3. *yawn*

In the end, it is just the same argument as ALWAYS - "we haven't figured it out yet, so god did it".

Thu, 09 Apr 2009 00:09:00 UTC | #345940

TouchedbytheBishop's Avatar Comment 29 by TouchedbytheBishop

Anyone else think that voice sounds suspiciously like Tim Minchin's?

Thu, 09 Apr 2009 02:35:00 UTC | #345972

jeggers's Avatar Comment 30 by jeggers

Comment #362308 by TouchedbytheBishop

it does, but it also reminds me of flight of the concords. 'if thats what you're in to'.

Thu, 09 Apr 2009 05:26:00 UTC | #346025