← Stephen Hawking Hospitalized

Stephen Hawking Hospitalized - Comments

rod-the-farmer's Avatar Comment 1 by rod-the-farmer

Best wishes from all I am sure.

Mon, 20 Apr 2009 11:05:00 UTC | #350497

Max of Earlobes's Avatar Comment 2 by Max of Earlobes

It's such a shame that such a genius is so debilitated.

Mon, 20 Apr 2009 11:07:00 UTC | #350498

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 3 by Steve Zara

Hawking is a great physicist. Not quite the Einstein-successor that many try and claim, but still one of the most important contributors to physics in recent times. His ability to continue producing world-class research while almost totally paralysed has shown strength of character and mental abilities that are remarkable.

Mon, 20 Apr 2009 11:10:00 UTC | #350500

Diacanu's Avatar Comment 4 by Diacanu

lozzer-

Nope, not MS, Lou Gehrig's.

Mon, 20 Apr 2009 11:12:00 UTC | #350504

Diacanu's Avatar Comment 5 by Diacanu

As for the slow loss of even the use of his fingers, they have the tech now to let a person work a cursor directly with their brain.

Once you have a cursor, you have menus, and you're off to the races.

Mon, 20 Apr 2009 11:19:00 UTC | #350509

dirigibleBehemothaur's Avatar Comment 6 by dirigibleBehemothaur

I didn't realise he was 67, a quick google gives amyotrophic lateral sclerosis a life expectancy of only 4 to 5 years after diagnosis. A truly exceptional mind and exceptional character plus a wicked sense of humour.
Get well soon!

Mon, 20 Apr 2009 11:20:00 UTC | #350511

petermun's Avatar Comment 7 by petermun

Just logged into another site - the right-wing Daily Mail (it's always good to know what the dickheads are saying - they do not, of course, think) - lots of posts asking for "the lord" to look after him - oh dear, the faith-heads are already claiming him as theirs - how obscene.

Mon, 20 Apr 2009 11:41:00 UTC | #350526

TruthByEvidence's Avatar Comment 8 by TruthByEvidence

Something tells me that no matter what happens, Stephen Hawking will always be an name that strikes great chord into the mind of the layman and scientist alike.

I personally would love to see Stephen continuing his days long into the future, almost like an immortal mind that shan't fade from view until he has the last word.

Please stay well, Stephen! (I'm also quite confident in his medical help, of course!)

Mon, 20 Apr 2009 11:43:00 UTC | #350529

atheistrevolutionary's Avatar Comment 9 by atheistrevolutionary

I hope Stephen Hawking gets better soon. He is a brilliant and extraordinary man.

Mon, 20 Apr 2009 11:46:00 UTC | #350530

alabasterocean's Avatar Comment 10 by alabasterocean

DirigibleBehemothaur:
-Maybe God was pleased by Mr Hawkins deep examinations of his sucking black holes and gave him a few more years? That would explain it.

Mon, 20 Apr 2009 11:47:00 UTC | #350531

Thomas Byrne's Avatar Comment 11 by Thomas Byrne

I hope he's all right.
For what it's worth, get well soon.

Mon, 20 Apr 2009 11:56:00 UTC | #350535

Frankus1122's Avatar Comment 13 by Frankus1122

Mon, 20 Apr 2009 12:04:00 UTC | #350541

AfraidToDie's Avatar Comment 12 by AfraidToDie

Why is it at times like this I still like to use the phrase "my prayers are with him"? Is there a better way to say that you wish him the best possible outcome and that "luck" or cause and effect produce successful positive results? Maybe a "good karma" wish. When I do say "my prayers are with him" I certainly don't believe a deity exists or can even intervene. I probably still use "my prayers are with you" to not offend theists, yet convey good wishes. Mr. Hawking, our civilization needs you around as long as possible!

Mon, 20 Apr 2009 12:04:00 UTC | #350540

lvpl78's Avatar Comment 14 by lvpl78

Stephen Hawking is a living embodiment of the beauty of science.

A man who is physically paralysed but has nevertheless lived an extraordinary life thanks to his intellect and imagination.

I'm surprised he hasn't had further honours than those mentioned. He should have.

Hope he's ok.

Mon, 20 Apr 2009 12:06:00 UTC | #350543

Beachbum's Avatar Comment 16 by Beachbum

Here is to hoping his future is pain free, a great mind, I'm sure all will agree. Get well soon.

Mon, 20 Apr 2009 12:30:00 UTC | #350553

Oystein Elgaroy's Avatar Comment 15 by Oystein Elgaroy

I sincerely hope he gets better. His life and career is an inspiration to all, and thanks to him many people have come to appreciate the magnificence and beauty of cosmology.

Mon, 20 Apr 2009 12:30:00 UTC | #350552

Vaal's Avatar Comment 17 by Vaal

The man is an inspiration. What a mind. His "Brief History of Time" is an enthralling read, even if I found some of it a bit beyond me :)

Another great British scientist, and an example to all of those inflicted with great disability, yet capable of sublime work. Without technology, what a loss his mind would have been to science and humanity.

I wish Professor Hawking and his family well.

Mon, 20 Apr 2009 12:34:00 UTC | #350557

ridelo's Avatar Comment 18 by ridelo

I have always been fascinated by professor Hawking. Wish him to get better soon.
If I only could better understand what he was doing. Was a 'bit' above my IQ.

Mon, 20 Apr 2009 12:43:00 UTC | #350562

helen sotiriadis's Avatar Comment 19 by helen sotiriadis

i hope he gets well soon and goes home quickly.

Mon, 20 Apr 2009 12:50:00 UTC | #350575

dirigibleBehemothaur's Avatar Comment 20 by dirigibleBehemothaur

alabasterocean
Nah it has to be zeus, the official god of black holes.

Mon, 20 Apr 2009 12:57:00 UTC | #350583

Mr DArcy's Avatar Comment 21 by Mr DArcy

What higher honour would you wish than being a guest star on The Simpsons?

An amazing man, I wish him well. I've this idea that his brain, being so busy, kept him alive all these years. No time to give in and die.

Mon, 20 Apr 2009 13:13:00 UTC | #350597

Fuller's Avatar Comment 22 by Fuller

The man has shown himself to be practically invincible so far, so I'm not too worried.

Good luck and get well soon, Prof Hawking!

Mon, 20 Apr 2009 13:38:00 UTC | #350611

craig7120's Avatar Comment 23 by craig7120

Get back to your love soon Prof. Hawking

Mon, 20 Apr 2009 13:56:00 UTC | #350619

Shaker's Avatar Comment 24 by Shaker

Best wishes to the man and I hope he has a speedy recovery. Frankly, he's been on borrowed time for decades, given the usual life expectancy for anybody with ALS. It's been almost a mira ... well, I mean he's been extraordinarily lucky.

Mon, 20 Apr 2009 14:02:00 UTC | #350629

jignle's Avatar Comment 25 by jignle

To steal a bit from Daniel Dennet; I hope to goodness Prof. Hawking is well again soon.

Mon, 20 Apr 2009 14:05:00 UTC | #350632

lvpl78's Avatar Comment 26 by lvpl78

What higher honour would you wish than being a guest star on The Simpsons?

Yes I forgot that. You're right. A much higher honour than anything handed out by the empire.

Mon, 20 Apr 2009 14:20:00 UTC | #350642

superatheist's Avatar Comment 27 by superatheist

From my heart of hearts, I wish that you get better soon, and keep enlightening Science with your genius.

Mon, 20 Apr 2009 14:23:00 UTC | #350645

Barnacle's Avatar Comment 28 by Barnacle

I very much hope he gets better soon. I was actually hoping to see him speak this term (have always wanted to - well, since I read A Brief History of Time anyway) but it seems unlikely at this point if he's cancelling events. He really is an inspiration to have succeeded in continuing with his work under what I can only imagine as immensely daunting circumstances - and doing so for so much longer than expected. And, yes, a tribute to technological and scientific advance - he wouldn't be here without it.

Mon, 20 Apr 2009 14:26:00 UTC | #350647

Auraboy's Avatar Comment 29 by Auraboy

The man doesn't even use his fingers to communicate any more, he first changed to a motorsensor reacting to him twitching an eye and is now limited to one single cheek muscle to build his sentences.

I love cosmology and his inspiration of that field, regardless of his physical condition, but when I get frustrated by some of the mundane obstructions in life I might start pondering navigating the world with only that one working facial tic.

Mon, 20 Apr 2009 14:38:00 UTC | #350651

AdamMil's Avatar Comment 30 by AdamMil

It'd be interesting to hear what comes out of the machine while he's asleep. ;-)

Mon, 20 Apr 2009 14:44:00 UTC | #350654