← Norwegians go to hell?

Norwegians go to hell? - Comments

Ingar A's Avatar Comment 1 by Ingar A

Nice one.

(Norwegian who doesn't think Norway is secular enough)

Fri, 19 Jun 2009 12:25:00 UTC | #372096

Tezcatlipoca's Avatar Comment 2 by Tezcatlipoca

Does Oystein know about this?

Fri, 19 Jun 2009 12:27:00 UTC | #372097

donL's Avatar Comment 3 by donL

I'm glad that norwegian is closely related to german - so I'm going to learn it very fast IN HELL.

Fri, 19 Jun 2009 12:33:00 UTC | #372098

Delogic's Avatar Comment 4 by Delogic

wow.. What a headline for a Norwegian to see at the top of the webpage!

(And yeah, Norway isn't secular enough)

Fri, 19 Jun 2009 12:34:00 UTC | #372099

Oystein Elgaroy's Avatar Comment 5 by Oystein Elgaroy

I agree: Norway is not secular enough. We have a state church, and children spend more time learning about religion than about science during their first seven years in school.

Edited for spelling.

Fri, 19 Jun 2009 12:49:00 UTC | #372104

thnp's Avatar Comment 6 by thnp

Agree ... I rather see Norway turn quite a bit more secular during my lifetime. I do though think we're moving - slowly - in the right direction :-)

Kind regards from quite happy Norwegian

Fri, 19 Jun 2009 12:58:00 UTC | #372109

zeroangel's Avatar Comment 7 by zeroangel

Read every single comic on that site just now. Took about an hour. Funny stuff.

Fri, 19 Jun 2009 13:03:00 UTC | #372112

stevenLagnew's Avatar Comment 8 by stevenLagnew

NORWAY FTW

Fri, 19 Jun 2009 13:20:00 UTC | #372116

Elles's Avatar Comment 9 by Elles

"Norway is ranked first in life expectancy, literacy, education, and standard of living."

Erm... life expectancy is up there, yeah, at 70.78, but that actually puts it at number 19 according to the CIA world fact book.

Literacy, at 99.0% is good and all, but Cuba, Estonia, and Poland still has first at 99.8%.

I mean, yeah. You can still say that's pretty damned good. It is damned good... but it's not honest saying that it's ranked "first" is it?

Either way, I laughed pretty darn hard at "I hope they speak Norwegian in HELL!"

Fri, 19 Jun 2009 13:22:00 UTC | #372117

Synchronium's Avatar Comment 10 by Synchronium

I wish I lived in Norway.

Fri, 19 Jun 2009 13:29:00 UTC | #372119

ComradePorkie's Avatar Comment 11 by ComradePorkie

Added 'learn Norwegian' to my list of long-term ambitions. Sounds like a good place to live, and I would assume it's not too hot there either.

Fri, 19 Jun 2009 14:42:00 UTC | #372139

orpheus's Avatar Comment 12 by orpheus

And another thing: much of Norway is also shockingly beautiful.

Fri, 19 Jun 2009 16:22:00 UTC | #372142

NormanDoering's Avatar Comment 13 by NormanDoering

Oystein wrote:
"Norwegian is not secular enough. We have a state church, and children spend more time learning about religion than about science during their first seven years in school."

Be careful what you wish for. Your state church and religious education might be the very things that make so many Norwegians atheists.

It depends on how stupid the preachers in the state church are:

Fri, 19 Jun 2009 17:04:00 UTC | #372146

j.mills's Avatar Comment 14 by j.mills

Yeah, but they kill whales and jump naked into freezing cold lakes. That's naked without any clothes on. And all they eat is blubber and herring and their language is all hurdy-gurdy and they only have one kind of tree and that's dead pine. And they can't even take credit for the fjords 'cos that was Slartibartfast. The capital city is Helsinkjavik.

(I haven't had time to check all these facts, but I am sure they are reliable.)

Fri, 19 Jun 2009 17:08:00 UTC | #372147

DamnDirtyApe's Avatar Comment 15 by DamnDirtyApe

Eh, they probably wouldn't say they were an 'atheist nation' par say. More like 'we're too busy with more useful stuff than that sort of thing'.

Fri, 19 Jun 2009 23:46:00 UTC | #372178

Vaal's Avatar Comment 16 by Vaal

5. Comment #389373 by Oystein Elgaroy

Norse Gods, I hope, not that Abrahamic monster :)

EDIT: Have to say, according to the criteria for going to hell, it must be an infinitely more interesting place than Heaven.

Sat, 20 Jun 2009 00:01:00 UTC | #372182

Buchner's Avatar Comment 17 by Buchner

Comment #389457 by DamnDirtyApe on June 20, 2009 at 12:46 am

"Eh, they probably wouldn't say they were an 'atheist nation' par say."

PAR SAY ????

I don't get it. Is that a joke?

Sat, 20 Jun 2009 00:06:00 UTC | #372183

flying goose's Avatar Comment 18 by flying goose

Hell is of course a Germanic word, Hela I think was the Norse equivalent of Hades, in terms of diety and place. She was a goddess of course not a god. Hell of course translates two NT words, Hades, the abode of the dead ( hence 'he (Jesus) descended to hell' in the apostle's creed)and gehenna, from Hinnom the rubbish tip out side Jerusalem where things got burnt, a metaphor for hell fire.

Sat, 20 Jun 2009 00:10:00 UTC | #372184

flying goose's Avatar Comment 19 by flying goose

Vaal I am afraid Hell, in the gehenna sense spoken of by the cartoon, is annihilation.

Sat, 20 Jun 2009 00:12:00 UTC | #372185

Roger Stanyard's Avatar Comment 20 by Roger Stanyard

I hope they speak Norwegian in Hell

They do indeed - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell,_Norway

Strange, that there are only about 350 Norwegian speakers in Hell.

Sat, 20 Jun 2009 01:27:00 UTC | #372202

Communist's Avatar Comment 21 by Communist

Ha ha. I am Norwegian, and I have been in Hell several times. My grandparents were living close to Hell (in Limbo so to speak). I have made journey straight to the center of Hell, and my experience was less colorful than Dante's. But it's true. They do speak Norwegian there.

Sat, 20 Jun 2009 01:49:00 UTC | #372204

GBile's Avatar Comment 22 by GBile

With all these nice people going there, we might rename hell into 'heaven'. And should the place where pope Innocentius I, Jerry Falwell, and all those suicidebombers are, not be renamed to HELL ?

Sat, 20 Jun 2009 01:53:00 UTC | #372206

RichardofYork's Avatar Comment 23 by RichardofYork

I went to Norway last winter , I was stunned by its natural beauty I saw a frozen waterfall near lillehammer , and that is when I realised ;its bleeding cold in Norway

Sat, 20 Jun 2009 04:18:00 UTC | #372232

Stewart Cowan's Avatar Comment 24 by Stewart Cowan

Wasn't it the same in Iceland - until last year!

Stewart Cowan (realstreet.co.uk)

Sat, 20 Jun 2009 04:38:00 UTC | #372235

Agrajag's Avatar Comment 25 by Agrajag

21. Comment #389481 by Roger Stanyard on June 20, 2009 at 2:27 am

They don't speak Norwegian in *this* Hell:
Well, maybe a few do...

Can there be multiple hells? Is this like a multi-verse?
Steve

Sat, 20 Jun 2009 04:53:00 UTC | #372237

Philster61's Avatar Comment 26 by Philster61

Øystein is correct when he mentions Norway isnt secular enough.I work here. Hej Øystein.Har du det bra? I think the perception by the rest of the world that Norway is completely secular is a little misleading.Norway does indeed have quite a strict Lutheran religious influence in its society. Up until september 2005,Norways PM was a Lutheran Pastor. (Kjell Magne Bondivik.)
And the Philadelphian church is a fast growing community with ever increasing amounts of young people joining its ranks.

Sat, 20 Jun 2009 10:55:00 UTC | #372339

Philster61's Avatar Comment 27 by Philster61

Hi Communist.And I have a Picture of the signpost at Trondheim Værnes that leads to Hell. Ill try to upload it.

Sat, 20 Jun 2009 10:57:00 UTC | #372342

Oystein Elgaroy's Avatar Comment 28 by Oystein Elgaroy

Comment #389620 by Philster61

Takk, jeg har det bare bra, Philster! HÃ¥per du trives i Norge.

You are right to point out the strong Lutheran influence. And thanks for don't mentioning Snåsamannen and that our princess talks to angels and horses.

Sat, 20 Jun 2009 11:11:00 UTC | #372346

Mr DArcy's Avatar Comment 29 by Mr DArcy

Whenever 1 inch of snow falls on London, and chaos reigns for a day or so, the Norwegians have a good laugh at the unpreparedness of the Brits. No wonder, their climate is so much worse than Britain's, which is not great, in many ways. The great Norwegian footballer Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2320013/Ole-Gunnar-Solskjaer-leaves-golden-memories.html , must have thought Manchester, England, a veritable tropical paradise compared with where he grew up. (Manchester is renowned for its high rainfall, and at least one good football team). Maybe the preachers in Norway are too lazy to counter the geography and climate. Or maybe the Norwegians are just too sensible to worry about religion; life is already difficult and short.

Sat, 20 Jun 2009 12:23:00 UTC | #372378

bluebird's Avatar Comment 30 by bluebird

Hell, Norway?!? That's my cool fact bite find for the day. Unusual town names in the U.S.:

Norwegian meatball recipe was mentioned in a movie I just watched... sounds good!

Sat, 20 Jun 2009 12:56:00 UTC | #372389