← Petition against creationist zoo in Bristol

Petition against creationist zoo in Bristol - Comments

Robin Burgess's Avatar Comment 1 by Robin Burgess

Sadly, I'm not a british citizen so I can't sign it. : /

Sat, 20 Jun 2009 09:50:00 UTC | #372309

fretter778's Avatar Comment 2 by fretter778

I'll sign it and it'll get all my friends to sign it too

Sat, 20 Jun 2009 09:52:00 UTC | #372310

elpopstardo's Avatar Comment 3 by elpopstardo

What the hell is going on in our country, I thought this s##t only happened in the US of god loving A?

Sat, 20 Jun 2009 09:53:00 UTC | #372312

Joshua Slocum's Avatar Comment 4 by Joshua Slocum

I apologize to all my Brit cousins for letting this kind of infection ooze across the pond. Ugh.

Sat, 20 Jun 2009 09:59:00 UTC | #372315

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 5 by mordacious1

Do they have Fred Flintstone riding a dinosaur?

Sat, 20 Jun 2009 10:15:00 UTC | #372321

phasmagigas's Avatar Comment 6 by phasmagigas

one assumes that they dont mention god during any work with schools although that is not strictly illegal in the UK. judging by their creation research statements i assume that any questions asked there about origins will be answered in a way that does not commit to the national curriculum standards.

a quote from the website under 'creation research' section, get ready for bullshit, academic freedom ad nauseum and various fallacies all rolled into one:

Darwin 200

The scientific community is currently celebrating 200 years since the birth of revolutionary naturalist Charles Darwin. The BBC has recently run an excellent but controversial series of programmes presenting Evolution by natural selection as the mechanism to explain the origin and all subsequent variation of life. See Creation Biology & Evolution: Yes and No along with the Earth History material for another perspective on this important subject.

For an in-depth discussion of origins, creation and earth chronology visit www.earthhistory.org.uk for detailed scientific analysis of the various related topics.

More than a choice between two theories...

Popular media presents us with only two theories to explain the origins of life: Darwinism or Creationism. Both are flawed in their theory; both are extremes in their own rights. One theory leaves no room for a God or a Creation, only randomness and mutation to provide the great abundance and variety in nature; the other requires a God for Creation and a strict Genesis chronology without evolution in any form.

Are we limited to this choice only£ Is evolution by natural selection now scientific fact or is it still just theory£ What does the evidence show and suggest£

We argue the case for a new approach encompassing a creator God AND pre-programmed evolution to provide variation and adaptation. We believe the fossil record does not show one evolutionary tree of life; instead possibly diversification of a number of body forms. Geological dating methods currently used may be inaccurate and thus earth history timescales could be very different from those presumed.

perhaps they will tell the kids 'dont pet the tigers, they will bite off your hand because your ancestor adam was bad.

Sat, 20 Jun 2009 10:17:00 UTC | #372322

Disbelief's Avatar Comment 7 by Disbelief

Perhaps the kids will see the space required to keep the animals in and figure out that there's no way they'd fit on a fucking boat.

Sat, 20 Jun 2009 10:19:00 UTC | #372323

Carl Sai Baba's Avatar Comment 8 by Carl Sai Baba

In the US, we have the right to call these things retarded/bunk/bullshit.

Sat, 20 Jun 2009 10:41:00 UTC | #372330

Philster61's Avatar Comment 9 by Philster61

Im a British citizen and Ill sign it.

Sat, 20 Jun 2009 10:46:00 UTC | #372334

mjwemdee's Avatar Comment 10 by mjwemdee

Signed.

This is a fucking disgrace.

Sat, 20 Jun 2009 10:54:00 UTC | #372338

Bonzai's Avatar Comment 11 by Bonzai

Hey guys,

Here is a petition to the Hong Kong Education Bureau to stop creeping creationism in Hong Kong schools. You don't need to be a Hong Kong citizen to sign it.

Thanks.

P.S. Hong Kong already has a Noah Ark theme park, I think.

Sat, 20 Jun 2009 11:04:00 UTC | #372344

James_R's Avatar Comment 12 by James_R

Signed it!

Does the Noah's Ark Zoo Farm recieve support financial or otherwise from the government?

Sat, 20 Jun 2009 11:20:00 UTC | #372349

Janus's Avatar Comment 13 by Janus

"hostile to Darwin and his theories"

Stupid to phrase it that way. If this 'museum' was against the Big Bang, would you say it's "hostile to Einstein and his theories"?

Sat, 20 Jun 2009 11:24:00 UTC | #372354

cam9976's Avatar Comment 14 by cam9976

Hey man, don't diss the U.S. It's only the south that's still in the stone-age (California--where I'm from--is quite atheistic).

But yeah, it's still a bit odd to see Bible Belt culture infecting Britain.

Sat, 20 Jun 2009 11:37:00 UTC | #372362

j.mills's Avatar Comment 15 by j.mills

Signed, typo ("and" for "an") notwithstanding. How many times ya gotta shoot these twonks before they die?!

Sat, 20 Jun 2009 11:51:00 UTC | #372367

louis14's Avatar Comment 16 by louis14

For some reason, my earlier post hasn't shown up here. In the meantime I've been over to the Zoo website and read smome of the bullshit they've got posted.

It's horrifying that these people are making in-roads over here. I've signed the petition and sent off a, ummm.., 'challenging' email to them. Not that the latter will do any good beyond hopefully spoiling someone's Monday morning.

Gah!

Sat, 20 Jun 2009 12:15:00 UTC | #372376

ayliffe's Avatar Comment 17 by ayliffe

Having just read their website, it seems they're very confused. I suppose this isn't really surprising.

Sat, 20 Jun 2009 12:36:00 UTC | #372382

NewEnglandBob's Avatar Comment 18 by NewEnglandBob

14. Comment #389647 by cam9976:

Some of the USA's largest mega-churches are in California. Its not just the south. Much of the Midwest is in the middle ages, not quite stone-age.

Sat, 20 Jun 2009 12:50:00 UTC | #372386

Pacman's Avatar Comment 19 by Pacman

Meh,
Can't sign it.

Sat, 20 Jun 2009 13:20:00 UTC | #372395

mjwemdee's Avatar Comment 20 by mjwemdee

I was put immediately in mind of a day back in the 1980's when my sister, brother-in-law and their two kids visited me in London. Among the usual sightseeing things I did with them, I treated them to the Planetarium. We sat gazing up at the night 'sky' listening to the Heather Couper commentary on the age of the various stars, distances in light years and the Big Bang. When the lights came back on, I heard my sister say: 'Well, that made me very angry. After all, it's only a THEORY'.

Sat, 20 Jun 2009 13:21:00 UTC | #372396

Pacman's Avatar Comment 21 by Pacman

Is there any way of forbidding these people to misinform kids about scientific facts?

Sat, 20 Jun 2009 13:21:00 UTC | #372397

fsm1965's Avatar Comment 22 by fsm1965

the madness goes on:

Genesis Expo

The Genesis expo is the biggest Creation Museum in the UK. The expo is located in the touristic heart of Portsmoth (sic); minutes walk from the railway station at Portsmouth Harbour, opposite the bus station, and within view of the historic dockyard and HMS Warrior.

Sat, 20 Jun 2009 13:23:00 UTC | #372399

Mayhemm's Avatar Comment 23 by Mayhemm

Sigh. Religion poisons everything....even the damn zoo!

What's next? A creationist ice-cream stand?

Sat, 20 Jun 2009 13:47:00 UTC | #372406

beeline's Avatar Comment 24 by beeline

It's just down the road from me. Amusingly, there's a public footpath right through the middle of it, and large signs up saying "Don't look at the animals" for those that haven't paid their entrance fee.

There should, of course, be large signs up inside saying "Don't look at the signs", but I suspect their aren't.

Everyone I know here in Bristol is familiar with NAZP, and knows to keep their money out of it.

As for the sad little place in Portsmouth - it's hardly ever visited, and is pitifully run down (like a lot of Portsmouth).

Neither of these two, as far as I can see (and I'm a science teacher) present any kind of threat to our children. After all, they all get mandatory religious education, so they soon see through it all as the dull nonsense it is.

Sat, 20 Jun 2009 14:04:00 UTC | #372411

vampfan30's Avatar Comment 25 by vampfan30

Would have signed, but, alas, I live in the US...

the South no less, just down the road (literally) from the creationist dinosaur place - Dinosaur AdventureLand....

Places like that scare me because I was raised in the middle of a huge Baptist church that pushes creationism. I left a few years ago, but my husband still goes faithfully. He brought home a sermon from a few months back & apparently, they
are now pushing geocentricity...

I am trying to teach my daughter the benefits of science & scientific research. She was listening along & was getting confused & a little miffed by what the pastor was saying; but as much as she loves science, she was refuting some of it on her own from what she has learned from school...

We are in the middle ages down here...
* shudders *

V

Sat, 20 Jun 2009 14:19:00 UTC | #372414

Mr DArcy's Avatar Comment 26 by Mr DArcy

beeline says:

Yes, exactly. Theme parks are always much better done in the States than here in Britain.

Noah's Ark for Zarqhon's sake! Have the Christians been reading about the insurance companies' assessment of most houses in England. Apparently about one sixth of houses in England are or will be susceptible to flooding. Gotta find me a hill!

Sat, 20 Jun 2009 14:28:00 UTC | #372419

cnocspeireag's Avatar Comment 27 by cnocspeireag

It's really worrying to hear that they exist in the UK. Is it possible to find out which schools have visited them? Such schools should surely be due for a visit from HMI if only to check what damage has been done to the childrens' education.

Sat, 20 Jun 2009 15:11:00 UTC | #372432

phil rimmer's Avatar Comment 28 by phil rimmer

Duly signed.

Sat, 20 Jun 2009 15:37:00 UTC | #372440

dougie's Avatar Comment 29 by dougie

Happy to sign...

Sat, 20 Jun 2009 16:01:00 UTC | #372449

prettygoodformonkeys's Avatar Comment 30 by prettygoodformonkeys

RWA #8

In the US, we have the right to call these things retarded/bunk/bullshit.
Maybe not. The U.N. has passed a motion that makes it a crime to degrade the religious views of others.

Unless we tell them to fuck themselves, of course.

Sat, 20 Jun 2009 16:42:00 UTC | #372467