← Pastor Urges His Flock to Bring Guns to Church

Pastor Urges His Flock to Bring Guns to Church - Comments

Skutter's Avatar Comment 1 by Skutter

Andy Partridge (XTC) says it best:-

I'm speaking to the justice league of America
the U.S of A, hey you, yes you in particular!
when it comes to - the judgement day
and you're stood at the gates with your weaponry
you dare clasp your hands in prayer
and start quoting me’ cos we say....
our father we've managed to contain the epidemic
in one place now
let's hope they shoot themselves instead of others
help to sterilize the race now.
we've trapped the cause of the plague
in the land of the free and the home of the brave
if we listen quietly we can hear them shooting
from grave to grave.
you ought to melt the guns melt the guns
melt the guns and never more to fire them
melt the guns melt the guns
melt the guns and never more desire them.

Fri, 26 Jun 2009 14:14:00 UTC | #374064

m-man's Avatar Comment 2 by m-man

I don't reallys see the problem, of course he is incorrect about the founding of the country etc. But if their church wants to have a "gun night" or whatever, Where locals can enjoy the hobby and sport the love what's the big deal.
(any guns in the church must be unloaded)

Fri, 26 Jun 2009 14:42:00 UTC | #374065

zeroangel's Avatar Comment 3 by zeroangel

I smell a gun control debate coming on! Too bad it's the weekend, enjoy!

Fri, 26 Jun 2009 14:44:00 UTC | #374066

EvolvedDNA's Avatar Comment 4 by EvolvedDNA

I guess looking down the scope re-enforces the tunnel vision the religious are used to.

Fri, 26 Jun 2009 14:46:00 UTC | #374067

paulwwww's Avatar Comment 5 by paulwwww

Agreed, we Americans need to stand up for these gun rights. More power to them, at least they are not the "lay down God has it covered" crowd.

Fri, 26 Jun 2009 14:47:00 UTC | #374068

Mr0Joshua's Avatar Comment 6 by Mr0Joshua

Of course the next step is for them to declare that wearing a firearm at all times and in any place is a tenet of their religion...

Fri, 26 Jun 2009 14:56:00 UTC | #374069

Lycosid's Avatar Comment 7 by Lycosid

Mr0Joshua,
Well you've got to one up the Sikhs.

Fri, 26 Jun 2009 15:00:00 UTC | #374070

Cartomancer's Avatar Comment 9 by Cartomancer

Oh dear oh dear oh dear. The colonials and their guns again. I detest this kind of faux-macho swaggering with a passion. There is no legitimate reason to take deadly weaponry with you anywhere in a civilized society - it is the mark of the barbarian plain and simple.

But what I noticed in this particular case was the following:

“When someone from within the church tells me that being a Christian and having firearms are contradictions, that they’re incompatible with the Gospel — baloney,” he said. “As soon as you start saying that it’s not something that Christians do, well, guns are just the foil. The issue now is the Gospel. So in a sense, it does become a crusade. Now the Gospel is at stake.”
Note how he doesn't actually have any kind of counter-argument to this. He doesn't say where in the gospels you can find arguments promoting the bearing of arms as a crude fetishistic pretense at thuggish and frightened pseudo-masculinity. He simply says "baloney" and assumes that the force of his vehemence will carry the day. I find that very telling.

Fri, 26 Jun 2009 15:01:00 UTC | #374072

DamnDirtyApe's Avatar Comment 8 by DamnDirtyApe

Well... I don't see ANY possible way this could end badly!

Fri, 26 Jun 2009 15:01:00 UTC | #374071

Cartomancer's Avatar Comment 10 by Cartomancer

Oh, and where on earth does geometry fit in to all this?

Fri, 26 Jun 2009 15:06:00 UTC | #374073

Mr0Joshua's Avatar Comment 11 by Mr0Joshua

“Jesus didn’t say, ‘Go ahead, make my day.’ ”
Priceless!!!! lol

What? You mean Clint Eastwood ISN'T the second coming of Christ...

Fri, 26 Jun 2009 15:08:00 UTC | #374074

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 12 by Steve Zara

Comment #391387 by Cartomancer

Well said.

Guns are just too convenient and tidy.

I say that public access to weapons is fine, but let's go Medieval. Broadswords, pikes, spears.

Let's see someone conceal a bow and arrow under a leather jacket.

Fri, 26 Jun 2009 15:11:00 UTC | #374075

Mark Smith's Avatar Comment 13 by Mark Smith

m-man
First it says a lot about the malleability and almost infinite variety of religious practice.

Secondly, there obviously isn't much wrong with it if you believe it is good for everybody to have free access to such things, along with the bullets you suggest they leave at home on this occasion.

For myself, I'm very happy to live in a place where (as far as I know) nobody within walking distance can pull out a gun and shoot me or anybody I know for no reason (or indeed for any reason).

Fri, 26 Jun 2009 15:12:00 UTC | #374077

prolibertas's Avatar Comment 14 by prolibertas

So guns aren't anti-Christian... Reminds me a little of the 5th century monks who noticed that Jesus forbade swords, because 'Those who live by the sword die by the sword'... so what did the good monks do? They picked up clubs and axes!

Fri, 26 Jun 2009 15:14:00 UTC | #374078

Chayanov's Avatar Comment 15 by Chayanov

"Sheriff’s deputies will be at the doors to check that openly carried firearms are unloaded, but they will not check for concealed weapons.

“That’s the whole point of concealed,” Mr. Pagano said, adding that he was not worried because such owners require training.

Mr. Pagano said the church’s insurance company, which he would not identify, had canceled the church’s policy for the day on Saturday and told him that it would cancel the policy for good at the end of the year. If he cannot find insurance for Saturday, people will not be allowed in openly carrying their guns."

I suppose they can keep carrying their concealed weapons, though. Too bad the church won't have an insurance policy anymore. How typical that a gun nut cares more about carrying a gun than he does in protecting people and property.

Fri, 26 Jun 2009 15:18:00 UTC | #374079

dochmbi's Avatar Comment 16 by dochmbi

@Comment #391390 by Steve Zara on June 26, 2009 at 4:11 pm

Indeed, I hate guns. You don't have to have any skills, or strength or speed, all you do is point it and then press the trigger, even a little pathetic wimp could kill you, it's totally lame.

I say make swords legal and allow people to carry them, that would be awesome :)

(I so want to walk around town with a katana by my side :) )

Fri, 26 Jun 2009 15:21:00 UTC | #374081

KRKBAB's Avatar Comment 17 by KRKBAB

I live in the *ucking country, so to combat the depression I use constant humor. My comments about the article are this: 1) Guns in church can only be a good thing. and, 2) kind of makes me sad there really isn't a hell. There- I feel a little better now.

Fri, 26 Jun 2009 15:34:00 UTC | #374083

glenister_m's Avatar Comment 18 by glenister_m

Its funny that guns are one of the big cultural differences between the U.S. and Canada. The only reason for the difference that I can think of is that American's have a constitutional right to have them - which they take full advantage of - while in Canada we have no cultural emphasis to own or use one, so it isn't a priority.

Generally in Canada if you have a gun you are either a hunter/sportsman, in the police/army, or a criminal/gangmember.

I wonder what the world would be like if guns and all other more powerful weapons were eliminated, and we had to go back to hand to hand fighting with swords - skill against skill... I imagine the first world countries would be less likely to go to war considering an increased likelihood that they would get hurt.

Fri, 26 Jun 2009 16:01:00 UTC | #374088

OneNationUnderThor's Avatar Comment 19 by OneNationUnderThor

"There is no legitimate reason to take deadly weaponry with you anywhere in a civilized society - it is the mark of the barbarian plain and simple."

You are funny. What about people who don't spend all their time in "civilized society"? And what's wrong with barbarians?

"Indeed, I hate guns. You don't have to have any skills, or strength or speed."

You have no idea what you're talking about. All you do with a sword is swing it around and hack things. It's totally lame.

"even a little pathetic wimp could kill you"

Precisely. Guns are equalizers. That's why you can't let the poor have them.

There's nothing wrong with responsible practicing a legal sport and teaching gun safety. Of the two activities going to church is much more dangerous. I know they kind of alarm the pretentious, latte-sipping socialites among here. Excuse me, I have to go drive back to the farm now, bang my club into things for a while, and then go kidnap me a wife.

"But if their church wants to have a "gun night" or whatever, Where locals can enjoy the hobby and sport the love what's the big deal."

Exactly. Some people are just too busy being self-righteous busybodies to actually have any thoughts more profound than a shallow, knee-jerk reaction to anything involving scary, black, baby-killing guns.

Fri, 26 Jun 2009 16:05:00 UTC | #374090

KRKBAB's Avatar Comment 20 by KRKBAB

OneNationUnderThor- simplify it to a knee-jerk reaction. That really puts us in our place!

Fri, 26 Jun 2009 16:08:00 UTC | #374091

critica's Avatar Comment 21 by critica

hmmm...

What assault weapon would Jesus use?

Fri, 26 Jun 2009 16:10:00 UTC | #374092

vampfan30's Avatar Comment 22 by vampfan30

oh, joy, guns...
Didn't even follow the link, but I kinda know where it'll go - being a Southerner, born & raised, it's a no-brainer.

I do however, support some freedom of gun ownership & concealed weapons carrying. I would be worried about certain family members & their safety if they couldn't carry since said person was being stalked by a very dangerous person.
But does any civilian need a automatic rifle or some other assault weapon? Nope, leave it to the law enforcers & the military...

I was raised in a church where there were armed body guards at the back door...always thought that was a bit on the oxymoronic side. If God can take care of you, why do you need the guns?

oy, been a long day..if this is a ramble, feel free to belly ache. ^_^

V

Fri, 26 Jun 2009 16:14:00 UTC | #374093

KRKBAB's Avatar Comment 23 by KRKBAB

critica- I think the threat of eternal damnation is about as powerful an assault weapon there is- I think the J-man picked a good one. The only problem is it's effectiveness is totally dependent on the belief of it.

Fri, 26 Jun 2009 16:15:00 UTC | #374094

critica's Avatar Comment 24 by critica

KRKBAB Good point. Of course, if you need a more worldly means of persuasion...

Fri, 26 Jun 2009 16:17:00 UTC | #374095

KRKBAB's Avatar Comment 25 by KRKBAB

Chicago bang bang

Fri, 26 Jun 2009 16:32:00 UTC | #374098

silent mike's Avatar Comment 26 by silent mike

I think American Atheists should do picnics with guns too. I bet that would make atheits look cool... even to a redneck...

Fri, 26 Jun 2009 16:42:00 UTC | #374099

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 27 by Steve Zara

Comment #391405 by OneNationUnderThor

Precisely. Guns are equalizers. That's why you can't let the poor have them.

So are swords! They are equalisers too!

You also need to be fit to attack with them, so drunks and addicts won't get very far. You also need to be fit to defend yourself with them, so the general population will have to lose weight (so reducing health costs). You also have to be close to use them, so it will make finding criminals much easier.

This is my Modest Proposal - take the guns away and give everyone swords.

Fri, 26 Jun 2009 16:45:00 UTC | #374100

KRKBAB's Avatar Comment 28 by KRKBAB

silent mike- I think you're on to something there. American Atheists with Guns. Redneck appeal!

Fri, 26 Jun 2009 16:50:00 UTC | #374101

KRKBAB's Avatar Comment 29 by KRKBAB

SteveZara says: "You also have to be close to use them (swords) so that will make it easy to find criminals". hilarious

Fri, 26 Jun 2009 16:54:00 UTC | #374102

rod-the-farmer's Avatar Comment 30 by rod-the-farmer

I await news that someone failed to get the memo, and heard there was going to be a gun fight at the local church. Darwin Award nominations are still open.

Fri, 26 Jun 2009 16:58:00 UTC | #374105