← Toronto film festival picks Darwin drama Creation as opener

Toronto film festival picks Darwin drama Creation as opener - Comments

cam9976's Avatar Comment 1 by cam9976

Unfortunate title for a film about the life of an evolutionist.

Tue, 14 Jul 2009 21:12:00 UTC | #379148

Frankus1122's Avatar Comment 2 by Frankus1122

The comments section on the linked site is interesting. What is ostensibly an article about a change in direction for the TIFF has generated some debate about evolution.

There is a lot of ignorance out there but the science seems to be on top (for now).

Tue, 14 Jul 2009 21:47:00 UTC | #379151

Kmita's Avatar Comment 3 by Kmita

I remember reading something about this movie a while ago. I'm unaware of what the ultimate message it tries to get across is. However, I have this recurring thought that it might end with a deathbed confession in the event the movie lives up to its iffy title.

Tue, 14 Jul 2009 22:26:00 UTC | #379158

Fuzzy Duck's Avatar Comment 4 by Fuzzy Duck

I REALLY hope this movie is good. Darwin deserves a good biographical picture -- especially during his big year of 2009!

Are there any updates on that other Darwin film, "Mrs. Darwin"?

Tue, 14 Jul 2009 22:30:00 UTC | #379159

Bueller_007's Avatar Comment 5 by Bueller_007

cam9976 said:
Unfortunate title for a film about the life of an evolutionist.

I don't mind it so much. The one that bothers me is its creationist counterpart: "The Voyage That Shook The World". But yes, surely these films would be better represented if they swapped titles.

Tue, 14 Jul 2009 22:46:00 UTC | #379160

stephenray's Avatar Comment 6 by stephenray

It's got Jennifer Connelly in it.

I'm there.

Tue, 14 Jul 2009 23:42:00 UTC | #379172

ghost of numf-el's Avatar Comment 7 by ghost of numf-el

I'm with stephenray.

Though not literally ....

Wed, 15 Jul 2009 03:19:00 UTC | #379227

Thomas Byrne's Avatar Comment 8 by Thomas Byrne

I wonder would creationists even watch it. I mean, I wouldn't bother watching Expelled.

Wed, 15 Jul 2009 03:33:00 UTC | #379230

Pidge's Avatar Comment 9 by Pidge

"Unfortunate title for a film about the life of an evolutionist"

Sure, but some might go and see it thinking its about creationism!

Wed, 15 Jul 2009 10:00:00 UTC | #379342

ChicagoMolly's Avatar Comment 10 by ChicagoMolly

I understand the film is based on Randal Keynes' book 'Darwin, his Daughter & Human Evolution.' It's an excellent book, and a real heartbreaker. The core of the book deals with the death at age 10 of his daughter Annie after a long illness, most likely a variety of tuberculosis. While nominally C of E, Darwin had never been as religious as Emma, but by the time Annie died he simply couldn't accept that an all-loving god could do such a thing to an innocent child. I'm not too worried about how Darwin's beliefs are treated; I just hope the filmmakers don't fall into the trap of romanticizing consumptives in the way of Victorian novels (Smike in 'Nicholas Nickelby' f'rinstance).

Wed, 15 Jul 2009 11:00:00 UTC | #379353

Needscowbell's Avatar Comment 11 by Needscowbell

Apropros that Paul Bettany and Jennifer Connelly are both atheists. It is nice to have such smart and attractive folks in the fold. Don't get me wrong, Dawkins is a sexy beast, but Jennifer Connelly is a stunner.

Wed, 15 Jul 2009 12:51:00 UTC | #379403

superatheist's Avatar Comment 12 by superatheist

This makes proud to be living in Toronto...........Darwin rules.....

Wed, 15 Jul 2009 18:45:00 UTC | #379487

Alternative Carpark's Avatar Comment 13 by Alternative Carpark

Jennifer Connelly still gives me the serious horn, so I guess I'll be checking this out too.

Wed, 15 Jul 2009 22:02:00 UTC | #379509

peanutsplatters's Avatar Comment 14 by peanutsplatters

I think Creation is a great title. That's a word that needs to be pulled back to reality and then locked in real good.

Thu, 16 Jul 2009 05:02:00 UTC | #379602

firstelder_d's Avatar Comment 15 by firstelder_d

Only thing I worry about is how much pandering is in this. There's the title, and image in the article of Darwin and the chimp touching fingers. Seems like it might end in a way that implies Darwin might be wrong. But if Bettany and Connelly are atheists (which I didn't know) they probably wouldn't have done it, so maybe not.

Thu, 16 Jul 2009 07:35:00 UTC | #379672

cam9976's Avatar Comment 16 by cam9976

Anyone know where to find this movie on the interwebs?

Thu, 16 Jul 2009 09:15:00 UTC | #379725

AdamMil's Avatar Comment 17 by AdamMil

There's no comparison. ;-)
Expelled vs. Creation

I think I'd even go Christian for that...

Thu, 16 Jul 2009 14:05:00 UTC | #379850