← 77 Favourite Atheist Books

77 Favourite Atheist Books - Comments

APPlet's Avatar Comment 1 by APPlet

Great, more reading......(Dripping in sarcasm), so much to read and so little time.

Fri, 17 Jul 2009 17:53:00 UTC | #380233

MUNRO1's Avatar Comment 2 by MUNRO1

I just love the way the Bible is in at second. As Penn Jillette said " read the damn Bible, we need more Atheists"!

Fri, 17 Jul 2009 17:54:00 UTC | #380234

Squigit's Avatar Comment 3 by Squigit

I happen to be reading "Godless" right now...pretty decent...not really helping me to understand the evangelical mindset as it was intended to, but a good read.

Fri, 17 Jul 2009 18:13:00 UTC | #380236

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 4 by mordacious1

I liked Eller's "Atheism Advanced" better than his "Natural Atheism", but AA wasn't listed.

I'm suprised at how many of these I've read (including the beeble).

Fri, 17 Jul 2009 18:17:00 UTC | #380237

kram50's Avatar Comment 5 by kram50

Because I have read so many books since I found this wonderfull site, I get confused and forget what I read and who wrote what I remember. So, I have deciced to re-read everything and start my own unusual way of putting together all of the great information that comes in handy to present to anybody who wants to know my point of view, (thanks to Richard et.al ).
I think I would like to develope a kind of book just for my own enjoyment...maybe I will call it, my manifesto.
Anyone else here do this kind of thing and have some good ideas that may help my project?

Fri, 17 Jul 2009 18:19:00 UTC | #380238

Cartomancer's Avatar Comment 6 by Cartomancer

Small Gods by Terry Pratchett!

Fri, 17 Jul 2009 18:44:00 UTC | #380245

Mr Jaguar's Avatar Comment 7 by Mr Jaguar

Dune by Frank Herbert.

Fri, 17 Jul 2009 19:02:00 UTC | #380248

NewEnglandBob's Avatar Comment 8 by NewEnglandBob

Oh no! I have only read 17 of these. 60 more to go!

Fri, 17 Jul 2009 19:06:00 UTC | #380250

MaxD's Avatar Comment 9 by MaxD

Dune is a great book, but its pretty down hill after that.

Fri, 17 Jul 2009 19:29:00 UTC | #380254

Ian's Avatar Comment 10 by Ian

All in the Mind was written by Ludovic Kennedy, not Lucy Kennedy as listed.

Fri, 17 Jul 2009 19:45:00 UTC | #380256

Fil's Avatar Comment 11 by Fil

id read the list but its Saturday here and thus the sabbath im not allowed to press any buttons on my computer because thats work and the electrical contacts might make fire because electricity is fire isnt it my goy dog is typing this by the way and hes crap at punctuation

Fri, 17 Jul 2009 20:21:00 UTC | #380259

Dr Doctor's Avatar Comment 12 by Dr Doctor

Dune was an OK book, but better was God Emporer of Dune, Heretics of Dune, shame that he went back to promulgating woo with Chapter House Dune. But back to the point... ... any decent cookbook and a love of preparing food should convince one quickly that there is no God. Especially if the cookbook has sumptous photographs.

Fri, 17 Jul 2009 20:57:00 UTC | #380262

Paine's Avatar Comment 13 by Paine

Bertrand Russell's Why I am not a Christian. Really laid religion bare for the hoax that it is.

Apologies to Richard and the 'New Atheists', but they came a little too late for me and Russell had already dropped the scales from my eyes. And deliciously entertaining as they might be, they quite frankly can't match Lord Russell's exquisite prose.

80 years later and that pamphlet hasn't lost its potency.

Fri, 17 Jul 2009 21:06:00 UTC | #380263

pkruger's Avatar Comment 14 by pkruger

An interesting list indeed, of which many I have had the pleasure of reading--including at least Leviticus from the Bible. Interesting Ayn Rand books are mentioned. Like many of my peers did many years ago, I delved into her novels and essays and thought she was pretty cool. In the ensuing years I've listened to what seems like an endless malignment of her arguments, to the point where I cringed at even the thought of defending her. Recently however, I glanced at a few of her essays, and discovered much of that malignment was quite mis-directed with many a straw man beaten--and I yes, I think she is pretty cool--especially her defense of atheism which I still think is simply brilliant: How could a conscious force exist--let alone bring into existence all that exists--when there is nothing to be conscious OF? ( Before God allegedly 'created' all that exists. )

Fri, 17 Jul 2009 21:19:00 UTC | #380265

tmplikeachilles's Avatar Comment 15 by tmplikeachilles

I notice Ayn Rand squeezes her way onto that list. Just to prove that the religious haven't quite cornered the market in stupidity.

Fri, 17 Jul 2009 21:36:00 UTC | #380270

ev-love's Avatar Comment 16 by ev-love

I scanned the early comments first, before I looked at the list (shouldn't really, should you?)

Had poor old Ludovic Kennedy really become 'Lucy'?

Then to add salt to the wound, I found the accompanying comment was "often overlooked" !

Clearly!

ev-love

Fri, 17 Jul 2009 22:41:00 UTC | #380277

SteveN's Avatar Comment 17 by SteveN

MaxD said

Dune is a great book, but its pretty down hill after that.
I must unfortunately agree. Frank Herbert's 'Dune' is one of my favourite books but the rest of the books in the series were difficult to get through. However, the 'prequels' by his son Brian Herbert (House Atreides etc) were most enjoyable.

Fri, 17 Jul 2009 22:59:00 UTC | #380279

Dr Doctor's Avatar Comment 18 by Dr Doctor

The prequels were absolutely dreadful. The later ones required a lot of concentration, of course, especially God Emporer.

Fri, 17 Jul 2009 23:05:00 UTC | #380283

Ally01290's Avatar Comment 19 by Ally01290

Somebody needs to sit down with that Michael Nugent chap and explain to him exactly how ellipsis are to be used.... It's not appropriate to use them in place of full stops at the end of every sentence... Nor are they to be used in lieu of commas... or other forms of punctuation...

Fri, 17 Jul 2009 23:39:00 UTC | #380288

DamnDirtyApe's Avatar Comment 20 by DamnDirtyApe

What, no Iain Banksy?

...Suddenly I'm picturing a Culture GSV with a giant painted mural of a small child in riot gear.

Fri, 17 Jul 2009 23:44:00 UTC | #380289

Sievers's Avatar Comment 21 by Sievers

Ally01290 says, "Somebody needs to sit down with that Michael Nugent chap and explain to him exactly how ellipsis are to be used...."

Oh dear, I have to confess I thought we were talking about some sort of a curve, which didn’t make sense…so I did some googling:

Ellipsis (plural ellipses; from the Greek: á¼"λλειψις, élleipsis, "omission") is a mark or series of marks that usually indicate an intentional omission of a word or a phrase from the original text.

Which means I’ve just used an ellipsis wrongly up above.

And that Ally01290 chap needs to learn how to spell plurals!

Glad Karen Armstrong was on the list. Would have suggested AN Wilson as well. Both made excellent reading before they became pains in the arse!

Sat, 18 Jul 2009 00:20:00 UTC | #380296

EBAUDOUX's Avatar Comment 22 by EBAUDOUX

Went to the michael nugent web site and was so surpisd to see the scientology banner sitting on top of the page.
Made me feel quite uncomfortable since I was expecting a free-thinking content...
What do you guys think?
Etienne from Belgium

Sat, 18 Jul 2009 00:35:00 UTC | #380298

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 23 by Stafford Gordon

I'm delighted to see WHY I'M NOT A CHRISTIAN included near the top of the list; clarity, wit and understatement are what make it one of my favourite books.

Sat, 18 Jul 2009 01:17:00 UTC | #380303

Tumara Baap's Avatar Comment 24 by Tumara Baap

The Four Horsemen rule the atheist universe. But a book with a historical approach that sadly gets scant attention is Susan Jacoby's A History of American Secularism. It ought to be a mandatory read. I doubt even atheists realize the extent to which the religious bloc have impeded social progress. Or the extent to which just about every leap in humankind, from science, to emancipation of slaves, women's suffrage, public education, conferring of human rights to children etc was either conceived or fervently encouraged by brave atheists and agnostics. That's for starters but what'll get you worked up is how the sacrifices and pioneering efforts of freethinkers were swept under the rug to appease the religious masses. Next time someone questions how you can possibly be a good atheist, fling a Jacoby paperback into their face.

Sat, 18 Jul 2009 01:18:00 UTC | #380304

mmurray's Avatar Comment 25 by mmurray

What do you guys think?
Etienne from Belgium

Agreed. What is that about ?

Michael

Sat, 18 Jul 2009 02:13:00 UTC | #380313

rod-the-farmer's Avatar Comment 26 by rod-the-farmer

I found one at my local very small town library the other day, which I purchased for 25 cents. I got a half dozen or so books (including, funny enough, one of the Dune volumes) and I have not yet read this one, but I list it in case others have, and if anyone is interested, I could send in a quick review once I finish it. It is rather telling that it was only published in May 2009, yet already my library has put it out on the table of "books we no longer need". Also curious is that the book has only 175 pages, yet 25 of them are the introduction, which seems to be by the author himself.

The Six Ways of Atheism, by Geoffrey Berg

New logical disproofs of the existence of god

Six improved arguments for atheism