← A mid-ocean read

A mid-ocean read - Comments

Duff's Avatar Comment 1 by Duff

Big deal. Sailing solo over the bounding main. I could be doing that too...if I weren't such a coward.

Hang in there, Sarah.

Sun, 26 Jul 2009 16:59:00 UTC | #382373

Thomas Byrne's Avatar Comment 2 by Thomas Byrne

Wow. Cool. I guess being alone in the ocean gives one time to reflect on a lot of things including, and maybe especially existence.

Sun, 26 Jul 2009 17:02:00 UTC | #382374

Filip's Avatar Comment 3 by Filip

Wonderful,wonderful,wonderful story!

Sun, 26 Jul 2009 17:20:00 UTC | #382380

wetbread's Avatar Comment 4 by wetbread

I bet her view of the night sky is completely.kick.ass.

Sun, 26 Jul 2009 17:29:00 UTC | #382381

gyokusai's Avatar Comment 5 by gyokusai

Speechless. So wonderful.

^_^J.

Sun, 26 Jul 2009 17:29:00 UTC | #382382

beanson's Avatar Comment 6 by beanson

Good for her!!

(and good for him too: nice bit of doggerel)

Sun, 26 Jul 2009 17:41:00 UTC | #382383

Joe_Zuke's Avatar Comment 7 by Joe_Zuke

CHEERS........Thank You, Sarah

Sun, 26 Jul 2009 17:42:00 UTC | #382384

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 8 by mordacious1

She's sailing among organisms with feathers and fins.
While reading "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins.

Someone should airdrop her "Unweaving the Rainbow".

Sun, 26 Jul 2009 17:42:00 UTC | #382385

Peacebeuponme's Avatar Comment 9 by Peacebeuponme

This is more like it. Nice one, Sarah.

Sun, 26 Jul 2009 18:18:00 UTC | #382390

Quine's Avatar Comment 10 by Quine

<!-- -->One of my religious neighbors told me that if he thought there was no Heaven and Hell, he would just kill himself. How is it that they cannot see what Sarah sees, bobbing in the midst of her vast sea?

Sun, 26 Jul 2009 18:20:00 UTC | #382391

Paine's Avatar Comment 11 by Paine

How does one send mail or post a blog from the middle of the ocean?

Sun, 26 Jul 2009 19:19:00 UTC | #382395

Rodger T's Avatar Comment 12 by Rodger T

How does one send mail or post a blog from the middle of the ocean?

Magic?

Sun, 26 Jul 2009 19:34:00 UTC | #382400

AtheistJon's Avatar Comment 13 by AtheistJon

Hi,

Not related to this posting, but for other bloggers that use this site:

Has anybody else noticed that www.richarddawkins.net web server seems to be responding much slower (and sometimes not at all) lately? I wonder if the server is experiencing some sort of denial of service attack or something?

I haven't had similar problems with any other websites (from here in Finland). And, well, it just came to mind since there's probably plenty of Richard Dawkins enemies out there who would be more than willing to use DOS tactics.

Sun, 26 Jul 2009 19:39:00 UTC | #382404

Richard Dawkins's Avatar Comment 14 by Richard Dawkins

My verse extols her courage, but her writing makes me proud of Oxford Biology.
Richard

Sun, 26 Jul 2009 19:49:00 UTC | #382406

Corylus's Avatar Comment 16 by Corylus

Quine

Looking to the horizon is a solitary pursuit. The differences between the subjective experience of heaven and hell aside, there is one thing that that is the same in both places: there is company either way.

Some people can stand the silence - others not so much.

And then another reader suggested I 'turn off all my comms and music etc for 72 hours ' to see if that did anything for my non-belief.
They would rather turn on an 'internal radio' than be alone. They then spend time fiddling with the dials and forget to take in the view.

Of course, some do manage to look about with the music blaring, but I'd just find it a distraction.

----
Paine
How does one send mail or post a blog from the middle of the ocean?
Maybe some of those 'star to steer her by' thingies are actually satellites. Not a techie though so I have no idea how it is done. I do know that - while house-sitting for relatives when they went on a cruise - I still got mail while they were away.

Hmpf. Getting some peace can be a hard thing to do.
----

Sarah, (in case you are reading)
I am currently 116 days into my solo crossing of the Indian Ocean and anticipate arriving on the beach in Mauritius about 14 days from now.
Not long to go! I hope you enjoy the rest of your journey. Remember, most transit accidents happen within a few miles of home - keep that hand on the tiller and your eyes open until you are safety docked. Sigh, I'm sure you know this but, being a 'clucky' type, I can't help saying it.

Sun, 26 Jul 2009 19:51:00 UTC | #382409

ods15's Avatar Comment 15 by ods15

How does one send mail or post a blog from the middle of the ocean?

Satellite modems... I hear they are pretty good, giving as much as 1mbit for a device about as big as 12 year old cellphones... VERY expensive though...

Sun, 26 Jul 2009 19:51:00 UTC | #382408

Logicel's Avatar Comment 17 by Logicel

The whole experience of my middle world and feeling that I am teetering on the edge of it is mind-blowingly wonderful.
_____

And this very potent intuition/realization eludes the religious because their receptivity to its recognition and experience is dulled by the inanity and grasping-the-easy-way out presented by their dead-end religious beliefs.

The very fact that humans embraced religious beliefs is indicative of our great difficulty in understanding that our existing in the middle world limits our ability to see the bigger picture. When I hear a religious believer describing how goddidit, all I think, is, they are stuck in the middle world, with no imagination or intellectual support to teeter on its edge like Sarah is doing. Lovely email and poem. Made my day.

Sun, 26 Jul 2009 20:29:00 UTC | #382422

j.mills's Avatar Comment 18 by j.mills

Sarah has been appearing occasionally on BBC Radio 2's Radcliffe & Maconie show, checking in with them every few weeks via sat-phone. Her unflappable good cheer in her remarkable situation is an inspiration in itself. How refreshing to NOT hear the usual platitudes: 'my faith got me through'; 'whenever I was in trouble I prayed and Jeeeezus helped me'; 'I feel god with me every day'. It's an insult to human achievement to credit it to gods.

Sun, 26 Jul 2009 20:57:00 UTC | #382435

Richard Dawkins's Avatar Comment 20 by Richard Dawkins

Exactly right. I wish I'd said that myself.

Richard

Sun, 26 Jul 2009 21:02:00 UTC | #382439

theantitheist's Avatar Comment 19 by theantitheist

Think i'll start reading her blog actually.

Sounds interesting

Sun, 26 Jul 2009 21:02:00 UTC | #382437

shemp333's Avatar Comment 21 by shemp333

I just shed a tear and it made me smile like a child.

Sun, 26 Jul 2009 21:36:00 UTC | #382463

Corylus's Avatar Comment 22 by Corylus

Comment #399861 by theantitheist:

Think i'll start reading her blog actually.

Sounds interesting
I'll be checking it out too.

Bugger listening to Radio 2 though.

Sun, 26 Jul 2009 21:37:00 UTC | #382465

Rodger T's Avatar Comment 24 by Rodger T

13. Comment #399822 by AtheistJon on July 26, 2009 at 8:39 pm

Jon, yes ,I have been having difficulties getting on to RD.net also.

Sun, 26 Jul 2009 21:39:00 UTC | #382470

keithapm's Avatar Comment 23 by keithapm

Well she's one person who is well and truly alive and living it. I can only imagine what an awe inspiring experience the solitude of her journey provides... it's mind boggling. I'm so happy for her (not to mention slightly envious of her courage). I wish her all the best.

Sun, 26 Jul 2009 21:39:00 UTC | #382468

NewEnglandBob's Avatar Comment 25 by NewEnglandBob

Her letter to Richard is beautifully written. I will also check out her blog.

Mon, 27 Jul 2009 01:32:00 UTC | #382481

rod-the-farmer's Avatar Comment 26 by rod-the-farmer

Re Duff and

Big deal. Sailing solo over the bounding main.

Ahh, perhaps you could take a closer look at the photo of her boat. It would appear she is rowing< across the ocean. A horse of an entirely different colour, you could say.

Mon, 27 Jul 2009 02:19:00 UTC | #382482

Fire1974's Avatar Comment 27 by Fire1974

"So long and thanks for all the fish,"

How wonderful to sign off with a Douglas Adam's tribute!

Mon, 27 Jul 2009 15:20:00 UTC | #382501

beanson's Avatar Comment 28 by beanson

I think RD.net has been undergoing maintenace recently

Mon, 27 Jul 2009 15:56:00 UTC | #382512

VanYoungman's Avatar Comment 29 by VanYoungman

You are truly a hero Sara.

Mon, 27 Jul 2009 16:03:00 UTC | #382514

chameleonpete's Avatar Comment 30 by chameleonpete

Iv'e been following Sarah's progress on the Radcliffe and Marconie show as well, and their comments echo what Richard has said - How wonderful and inspirational to see a young person doing this, when many others of her age have no other ambition but to be famous for nothing, go clubbing and be on something as vaccuous as reality TV. I had tremendous admiration for her anyway (she's doing this for charity - Arthritis Care), and to hear her comments about Richard's work makes me admire her all the more. Good luck Sarah - I couldn't row accross a pond in a straight line, let alone the Indian Ocean.

(btw, yes Radio 2...but Rad and Mac really are worth a listen, best show on there)

Mon, 27 Jul 2009 16:06:00 UTC | #382517