← Praying man let his daughter die

Praying man let his daughter die - Comments

Crazycharlie's Avatar Comment 1 by Crazycharlie

The only thing to say...religion poisons everything.

Sun, 02 Aug 2009 13:34:00 UTC | #384224

Am I Evil?'s Avatar Comment 2 by Am I Evil?

[quote]"If I go to the doctor, I am putting the doctor before God," he said. "I am not believing what he said he would do."[/quote]

Wonder if he does that for everything else? If he buys food from the store, is he putting the retail industry before his god? Ad infinitum...

This is why I laugh when people tell me to 'respect' their religion.

Sun, 02 Aug 2009 13:34:00 UTC | #384225

Dexter Morgan's Avatar Comment 3 by Dexter Morgan

Religion is harmless.

/sarcasm

Sun, 02 Aug 2009 13:40:00 UTC | #384230

Roger Welleog's Avatar Comment 4 by Roger Welleog

contemptible behaviour resting on the shoulders of religious ignorance.

Of course we must have respect for thier religious beliefs. (Please refer to sarcasm mentioned in post three)

Roger

Sun, 02 Aug 2009 13:44:00 UTC | #384233

beanson's Avatar Comment 5 by beanson

So if his god said he would save her WTF didn't he-

and WTF doesn't he now spit in the face of his promise-breaking god instead of grinning like the moronic wanker he is?

Sun, 02 Aug 2009 14:05:00 UTC | #384241

j.mills's Avatar Comment 6 by j.mills

He also said he thought his daughter had had flu or a fever, and that he had not realised how ill she was.
Contradiction please. Why protest that you didn't realise how ill she was if you believe god's gonna heal her anyway? Is he only good for coughs and sneezes?

However, we read on another thread that a man is allowed to sacrifice goats to guarantee his freedom of religion. On what grounds, then, does freedom of religion allow you to kill goats but not let kids die? (See what I did there?)

Sun, 02 Aug 2009 14:25:00 UTC | #384253

GordonGoblin's Avatar Comment 7 by GordonGoblin

Why do none of the articles about this case ask how they feel about the fact that god didnt save their daughter?

Sun, 02 Aug 2009 14:36:00 UTC | #384259

gobes's Avatar Comment 8 by gobes

God must have been busy... letting millions of other kids suffer to death!

Sun, 02 Aug 2009 14:42:00 UTC | #384262

Adrian Bartholomew's Avatar Comment 9 by Adrian Bartholomew

Are we really buying this guys story? Isn't it just as likely that he was just negligent and realised that claiming he is super religious might be a good way to keep out of jail if he got lucky with a super religious jury? I mean he might think it would make him look like a good father that was just brain washed rather than a crap father that was negligent.

Sun, 02 Aug 2009 14:44:00 UTC | #384263

Richard Dawkins's Avatar Comment 10 by Richard Dawkins

Worth repeating a comment on Pharyngula, about the same story, from somebody suffering from the same type of diabetes:

Her death must have been EXTREMELY painful and horrible. If I get no insulin for one day, I will be in a very bad mood, two days, worse, 3 I will start caughting blood and after that I will most likely end in a coma or die (give it a week or so).. Her death must have been HORRIBLE, it is one of the worst feelings you could imagine having high blood sugar, your body burning every piece of fat it can find in an attempt to get suggar to the brain, which it cant as no insulin is available to use it.

Sun, 02 Aug 2009 15:01:00 UTC | #384272

fsm1965's Avatar Comment 11 by fsm1965

Deluded or dumb or cruel, not a pleasant choice, whichever it is, lock him up and throw away the key so this "defence" is never tried again...

Sun, 02 Aug 2009 15:09:00 UTC | #384277

Colwyn Abernathy's Avatar Comment 12 by Colwyn Abernathy

Finally, some justice. Heard this on the BBC this morning.

The man, Dale Neumann, told a court in the state of Wisconsin he believed God could heal his daughter.

Which he didn't. Which makes god either a liar or nonexistent. Either way, Dad's still responsible for her well being, which he failed to do. He was also quoted as saying that the Bible doesn't say anything about Jesus never going to any doctors...none. Jesus also didn't:

Take a shit (apparently)
Use toilet paper
Drive a car
Have sex

All of which Fucknut seems to have done. Don't see him giving up anything else the Bible evidently "forgets" to mention. I hate to say it, but I seriously want to slap the smirk off that careless, self-absorbed, self-righteous bastard's face.

Sun, 02 Aug 2009 15:12:00 UTC | #384280

dstevens's Avatar Comment 13 by dstevens

This seems to happen every few years, but of course, it's always a few nuts. Not as if religion itself is to blame.

I saw a tv documentary a few years ago, where a young woman died because her parents withheld medical care. The couples' other children (they had like 8 kids total) were taken away. The Dad lamented on camera how know the kids won't be raised with the family's traditional values.

'THAT'S THE FREAKING IDEA, NUTCASE!' I found myself yelling at the TV.

Sun, 02 Aug 2009 16:02:00 UTC | #384293

Dr. Strangegod's Avatar Comment 14 by Dr. Strangegod

Good. Throw away the fucking key.

Sun, 02 Aug 2009 16:07:00 UTC | #384294

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 15 by Steve Zara

I think this conviction is very important.

First, helps to empasise that children are not possessions of parents, but have considerable rights.

Second, it makes clear that people have to deal with each other in society (including children) using rationality and evidence at a certain point. It recognises that reason should be the foundation of a fair society.

Sun, 02 Aug 2009 16:10:00 UTC | #384296

FXR's Avatar Comment 16 by FXR

Will religious broadcasters now be forced to advise people that prayer is for entertainment purposes only?

Sun, 02 Aug 2009 16:27:00 UTC | #384302

Border Collie's Avatar Comment 17 by Border Collie

And there he is, in the court room, on trial for killing his daughter, and he has nothing but a stupid grin on his face. An example, in a nutshell, of the cognitive dissonance and inappropriate affect created by religion. What a fucking idiot.

Sun, 02 Aug 2009 16:30:00 UTC | #384303

linbetwin's Avatar Comment 18 by linbetwin

He should be denied medical care in prison and be told that all inmates and the entire prison staff are praying for him. But I know this won't happen.

Sun, 02 Aug 2009 16:44:00 UTC | #384307

Follow Peter Egan's Avatar Comment 19 by Follow Peter Egan

How would we know how to be moral without religion?

FFS. What a bastard.

Sun, 02 Aug 2009 16:46:00 UTC | #384309

forestsoul's Avatar Comment 20 by forestsoul

"Instead, an ambulance was only called once the girl had stopped breathing. "

So once God decided to let the girl die, the father called the ambulance to try to reverse God's decision.

Only after praying conclusively didn't work did the father turn to modern medicine to save his daughter. Unfortunately, this lesson was learnt too late. Poor girl.

Sun, 02 Aug 2009 16:46:00 UTC | #384310

astronomer24's Avatar Comment 21 by astronomer24

He should have been given life.

He took away his daughters one and only brief existence here.

Sun, 02 Aug 2009 16:51:00 UTC | #384313

friarjohn's Avatar Comment 22 by friarjohn

When are we going to start treating this sort of thing as the mental disease that it is?

Sun, 02 Aug 2009 17:00:00 UTC | #384316

lackofgravitas's Avatar Comment 23 by lackofgravitas

PZ Myers' site highlights many cases like this.

There was also the recent case of Daniel Hauser:
It beggars belief and logic, but there it is. And yet these people always shout about 'rights' and 'choice' when it comes to their own particular brand of madness.

Sun, 02 Aug 2009 17:10:00 UTC | #384319

robotaholic's Avatar Comment 24 by robotaholic

Comment #401781 by friarjohn

Exaclty. It is a virus. That's why the man's actions don't make sense-because he's got a pathology-religion. Religion poisons everything-

Sun, 02 Aug 2009 17:16:00 UTC | #384322

BlueCollar8theist's Avatar Comment 25 by BlueCollar8theist

The man used his daughter to test his faith. What a truly disgusting thing to do. I was beyond angry when I read this story some time ago, and even with the 'guilty' verdict, I still find that anger unabated. I only wish that there was a punishment that would be as nasty as this crime.

Sun, 02 Aug 2009 17:28:00 UTC | #384329

sonnygll's Avatar Comment 26 by sonnygll

I very much agree with #22 and 24. religion is a meme, and acts as a virus. So it's a memetic virus. There is a book called "The God Virus". It was written by a psychologist and explains it from a psychological point of view. It is very interesting. It's a good insight into delusional minds.

Sun, 02 Aug 2009 17:54:00 UTC | #384345

AtheistRocker90's Avatar Comment 27 by AtheistRocker90

It amazes me that even with events such as this one, people still say religion is harmless. Can they not see all of the damage that has been caused by their dogmatic beliefs? How blind they are?

Sun, 02 Aug 2009 18:52:00 UTC | #384383

Rikitiki13's Avatar Comment 28 by Rikitiki13

Hmm...yeah, comment #26, etc: 'religion is a meme'. Occurs to me that language here is important. Because "faith healing" does not exist, doesn't happen, doesn't work, and should always be referred to with those quote-marks. Psychosomatic healing does happen, just like psychosomatic illness happens. I believe that is how placebos can actually heal. And "faith healing" should henceforth be referred to as psychosomatic healing, forcing scientific connotations instead of reinforcing religious ones.

Sun, 02 Aug 2009 19:02:00 UTC | #384385

LeeLeeOne's Avatar Comment 29 by LeeLeeOne

#401851 by Rikitikil3

Ranked as excellent!

Perhaps my profession has something to do with it. Nonetheless - excellent response.

Sun, 02 Aug 2009 19:09:00 UTC | #384387

PJG's Avatar Comment 30 by PJG

How blind are they, AtheistRocker90?

When perverted nutters deny medical care to their children based on their (the nutters, not the children's) beliefs, we can try them in court - though they are clearly crazy. When perverted nutters allow someone to hack at their children's genitals based on their (the nutters, not the children's) beliefs, that is OK, apparently. At least let's start treating all religious abuse of children the same.

I'm waiting, patiently, for the first cases brought by people whose genitals were mutilated when they were children in the name of religion. If a few Rabbis or Mullahs were sued, they might think twice before inflicting this on children and, like this guy, they might be seen as deluded rather than "holy"!

Sun, 02 Aug 2009 19:12:00 UTC | #384388