← The Creation 'Museum'

The Creation 'Museum' - Comments

Sarek's Avatar Comment 1 by Sarek

I would like to read a copy of the paperwork that visitors sign...agreeing to abstain from criticizing the place.

Mon, 10 Aug 2009 23:43:00 UTC | #386864

j.mills's Avatar Comment 2 by j.mills

This seems an unusually pointless thread, given the similar and longer piece from Myers on the same topic a couple of days ago!

Mon, 10 Aug 2009 23:57:00 UTC | #386868

Border Collie's Avatar Comment 3 by Border Collie

'Their mission is the antithesis ...' I'm so surprised. Every dollar spent there just encourages them.

Tue, 11 Aug 2009 00:19:00 UTC | #386872

lbalough's Avatar Comment 4 by lbalough

I had the misfortune of visiting this propaganda palace last year. Ironically, this seat of Jesus' teachings doesn't even have special pricing for the disabled. The folks in wheel chairs paid $22 for their tickets...just like the able-bodied. Disgusting.

Tue, 11 Aug 2009 00:56:00 UTC | #386875

zeerust2000's Avatar Comment 5 by zeerust2000

I almost wish we had one here (Australia) so I could go to it and laugh.

Tue, 11 Aug 2009 01:23:00 UTC | #386880

Joshua Slocum's Avatar Comment 6 by Joshua Slocum

I hesitate to ask, as I think I must be missing something, but, why do people in wheelchairs deserve a discount on admission? Why is it "disgusting" that those in wheelchairs pay the same admission price as others?

Have I just been Poe'd?

Tue, 11 Aug 2009 04:22:00 UTC | #386902

root2squared's Avatar Comment 7 by root2squared

I would love to visit this exhibit of mind numbing stupidity, but I don't want to contribute any money towards it!

Tue, 11 Aug 2009 06:39:00 UTC | #386924

andersemil's Avatar Comment 8 by andersemil

7. Comment #404407 by root2squared

Why don't we redub it The Museum Of Christian Stupidity and add a few informative comments on the labels in the exhibition. That way I would gladly contribute!

Tue, 11 Aug 2009 06:42:00 UTC | #386926

Captain_Quirk's Avatar Comment 9 by Captain_Quirk

[quote]why do people in wheelchairs deserve a discount on admission?[/Quote]
(hope my quoting didn't fail)

They don't, and the reason is that everyone is equal in the eyes of the lord. Probably don't have wheelchair ramps for the same reason.

Tue, 11 Aug 2009 06:55:00 UTC | #386929

Captain_Quirk's Avatar Comment 10 by Captain_Quirk

My quoting did fail indeed, obviously not the same on different forums :)

Tue, 11 Aug 2009 06:57:00 UTC | #386930

Shuggy's Avatar Comment 11 by Shuggy

9. Comment #404412 by Captain_Quirk on August 11, 2009

[quote]why do people in wheelchairs deserve a discount on admission?[/Quote]
(hope my quoting didn't fail)

It did. It's < blockquote > < / blockquote > without the spaces, but why it's different on the forum beats me.

I'd never thought about that before, but it seems to me that if for some good reason (like a historic building that can't be altered) a place can't have ramps, then they should have reduced prices. (Here in NZ, ramps are required in new buildings. How's it going in the rest of the world?)

But we shouldn't badmouth them on a "Give a dog a bad name" basis. Do they have ramps or not?

Tue, 11 Aug 2009 07:03:00 UTC | #386932

ridelo's Avatar Comment 12 by ridelo

I thought a triceratops was a lot bigger. Or is it PZ who's sooooo big?

Tue, 11 Aug 2009 08:20:00 UTC | #386959

Quetzalcoatl's Avatar Comment 13 by Quetzalcoatl

ridelo-

A full-grown Triceratops could reach as much as 9 metres in length and 3 in height. There's no way in hell a human would be able to ride one with a saddle.

Of course, that's just one of the million plus things wrong in that "museum".

Tue, 11 Aug 2009 08:29:00 UTC | #386960

SaganTheCat's Avatar Comment 14 by SaganTheCat

giving the disabled special treatment is almost like admitting god isn't going to maybe cure them one day maybe

ye of little faith (that's an insult apparently)

Tue, 11 Aug 2009 08:50:00 UTC | #386966

rod-the-farmer's Avatar Comment 15 by rod-the-farmer

Andersemil, I like your idea of a sign for The Museum of Christian Stupidity.

We need to find out if there is an adjacent property, on whose border we could put such a sign, with the addition of "200 yards", or "next exit".

Anyone local to this place who could check this out ? A campaign to raise funds for your sign idea would quickly raise some serious money, I believe.

Tue, 11 Aug 2009 09:12:00 UTC | #386971

robaylesbury's Avatar Comment 16 by robaylesbury

It has dawned on me at last. I know why the T-Rex had such sharp teeth when they were, pre fall, herbivorous.

They had to have some way to open coconuts . . .

Tue, 11 Aug 2009 09:59:00 UTC | #386978

ridelo's Avatar Comment 17 by ridelo

Comment #404444 by Quetzalcoatl on August 11, 2009 at 9:29 am

Thanks for reminding me, Quetz. But why do you write Triceratops with a capital? We don't write Horse or Dog. Or is that reserved for extinct species?
[EDIT] Or for Latin or Greek names?

Tue, 11 Aug 2009 10:40:00 UTC | #386989

Quetzalcoatl's Avatar Comment 18 by Quetzalcoatl

ridelo-

It's because Dinosaurs are Cool.

:-)

I suppose I shouldn't really, I don't always do it!

Tue, 11 Aug 2009 10:53:00 UTC | #386992

AshtonBlack's Avatar Comment 19 by AshtonBlack

Have I just been Poe'd?

I would say not.
The reasoning behind "discounts" is the fact, that in general the disabled, along with OAP's, students and children have a lower income than the average well bodied adult.

It's not disgusting, but it certainly eyebrow raising, that this "museum" doesn't use such concessionary prices.

Tue, 11 Aug 2009 10:58:00 UTC | #386993

Peacebeuponme's Avatar Comment 20 by Peacebeuponme

Ashton Black

Yes, but its a concession which helps get people through the door. It can be more of a good business practice, than anything particularly altruistic.

There is nothing wrong with treating the disabled along with other folk, in fairness.

This is a wider issue than this museum of course, but these days we should be able to devise more sophisticated ways of assisting those on lower incomes, which aren't unfair to able-bodied people, and do not patronise working and well-off disabled people.

Tue, 11 Aug 2009 11:08:00 UTC | #386996

AshtonBlack's Avatar Comment 21 by AshtonBlack

True. In the UK, we tend to subsidise the "bigger" museums to the point where it free.

For example:

This is the fairest way.
Of course, the criterion for subsidy is gloriously secular. (IIRC!)

Tue, 11 Aug 2009 11:18:00 UTC | #386999

Peacebeuponme's Avatar Comment 22 by Peacebeuponme

AshtonBlack

At least for the indigenous population, it would be good if all museums are free. When I'm a tourist, I'm happy to pay to see the sights, but can sometimes get in free (e.g the Musee d'Orsay on a Sunday). On the other hand, not all museums in the UK are not free (I don't think, been a while since I've visited one).

This is all on the grounds that citizens should have free access to learning and culture, but falls down with The Creation Museum, where not only do citizens have to pay, they also come out less knowledgable then when they went in.

Tue, 11 Aug 2009 11:26:00 UTC | #387003

JohnJSal's Avatar Comment 23 by JohnJSal

2. Comment #404351 by j.mills on August 11, 2009 at 12:57 am

Perhaps the "Continue reading" link has something to do with it. :)

Tue, 11 Aug 2009 12:09:00 UTC | #387013

Tyler Durden's Avatar Comment 24 by Tyler Durden

From their site:

In a video clip about their planetarium lasting only 2:03, astrophysicist Dr. Jason Lisle mentions "God" six times and the "Bible" five times.

He also comes out with gems like this:

"The bible gives us the basis for logic and reason"

"God's word is true"

"We want people ultimately to be saved"

This from an astrophysicist talking about the known Universe. Hitch was right!

The phrase "You couldn't make this stuff up" starts to lose its impact when confronted with these morons.

Tue, 11 Aug 2009 12:36:00 UTC | #387017

Border Collie's Avatar Comment 25 by Border Collie

They will take the attention, positive or negative, and we're giving them lots of negative. Any sort of attention validates them. They'll also take our money. A dollar is a dollar and it helps perpetuate this thing. My opinion is to give them neither.

Tue, 11 Aug 2009 12:54:00 UTC | #387022

Tyler Durden's Avatar Comment 26 by Tyler Durden

The HTML title of their site states: "Creation Museum - Creation, Evolution, Science, Dinosaurs, Family, Christian Worldview"

In what way do they reference evolution? This site is "powered" by AnswersInGenesis - do they even accept evolution?

Tue, 11 Aug 2009 13:14:00 UTC | #387029

firstelder_d's Avatar Comment 27 by firstelder_d

25. Comment #404506 by Border Collie
Agreed.

Tue, 11 Aug 2009 13:28:00 UTC | #387034

Dr. Strangegod's Avatar Comment 28 by Dr. Strangegod

This was not a museum: it is a haunted house. It is a carnival ride. It shows throughout in the layout — the rubes are supposed to be shuttled through efficiently, get their little thrills, and exit so the next group can make the trip.
Well I'm sold (not that they'll actually be getting 22 bucks from me ever.) Good to see one of my favorite words used by PZ, too.

Tue, 11 Aug 2009 14:01:00 UTC | #387044

Sciros's Avatar Comment 29 by Sciros

They don't. Well, they do but they don't realize it, and even then it's a fubar version. Basically since Noah's ark only had representatives of the various "kinds" of creatures (they have their own taxonomy, go figure), those "kinds" (by which I mean dog kind, monkey kind, horse kind, and so forth) evolved into the various species we see today. They of course did not do this via the process of natural selection. Rather, "God gave them special tools." Yes that's right, special tools. So rather than have a big evolutionary bush, they have an "orchard" with the various "kinds" of creatures having their own evolutionary trees completely separated from each other. Basically, total nonsense, and a really half-assed attempt to explain how Noah didn't have to fit every single described (let alone undiscovered) species ever onto his boat.

Also, he apparently took "around 50 kinds" of dinosaur on board as well. What happened to them? Hmmmmm presumably they were used to feed the other carnivores or something.

Tue, 11 Aug 2009 14:06:00 UTC | #387045

Rich Wiltshir's Avatar Comment 30 by Rich Wiltshir

Though the presentation seems obviously thuggish, is there a thread of business acumen that drives the institution... knowing your customer is a good way to make money.

Though, obviously, personal wealth is only a tool for spreading goodness and the word of the big invisible, silent guy who employed so many secretaries all those years ago... my guess us that there have been significant rewards on earth as a foretaste of those to follow.

Tue, 11 Aug 2009 14:36:00 UTC | #387057