← [UPDATE] DART Driver Refused Bus With Atheist Sign - Driver Faces Disciplinary Action

[UPDATE] DART Driver Refused Bus With Atheist Sign - Driver Faces Disciplinary Action - Comments

SaganTheCat's Avatar Comment 1 by SaganTheCat

oh dear

I trust the same driver demanded his wages were adjusted to remove any portion raised through revenue of this advert

Wed, 19 Aug 2009 12:04:00 UTC | #389740

fredmounts's Avatar Comment 2 by fredmounts

Poor baby. Hopefully there really is some punishment involved, but I imagine that it'll slide, because otherwise there is sure to be a lawsuit. I really hate this country sometimes.

Wed, 19 Aug 2009 12:05:00 UTC | #389741

zeerust2000's Avatar Comment 3 by zeerust2000

This must be just about the most gentle, positive atheistic message that it's possible to make. How on earth can these people be so thin-skinned?

Wed, 19 Aug 2009 12:06:00 UTC | #389742

God fearing Atheist's Avatar Comment 4 by God fearing Atheist

I love it when the religidiots give us more free publicity.

Wed, 19 Aug 2009 12:07:00 UTC | #389744

Jos Gibbons's Avatar Comment 5 by Jos Gibbons

The reaction to the buses just keeps getting dumber. What next? Will a billboard with this message cause a numbskull to think, "Well, I'm not using THAT motorway. I'm turning around. There'll be no holiday to Disneyland this Summer."

Wed, 19 Aug 2009 12:09:00 UTC | #389746

Christopher Davis's Avatar Comment 6 by Christopher Davis

If he's fired, some "Good Christian" business owner will give him a job. This guy will be a local celebrity, after all he stood up for what he believes in. Which appears to be that anyone who doesn't believe what he believes doesn't have a right to believe it. Hero? Martyr? Maybe both?

Wed, 19 Aug 2009 12:11:00 UTC | #389748

SilentMike's Avatar Comment 7 by SilentMike

This hate is beyond me. There are plenty of things in bus ads that religious people may find offensive. You never hear about that stuff happening due to anything else, like a liberal message or a scantly clad lady in an ad...

Is that just because it doesn't get to us or do they actually think they can get away with this just because it's to do with atheism?

Wed, 19 Aug 2009 12:14:00 UTC | #389750

zeerust2000's Avatar Comment 9 by zeerust2000

I'm awaiting news that they've boycotted bookstores that sell dictionaries because they contain the word "atheist".

(Edit) Hang on, maybe they're punctuationally challenged and can't distinguish "Don't believe in God?" from "Don't believe in God!"

Wed, 19 Aug 2009 12:15:00 UTC | #389752

mattincinci's Avatar Comment 8 by mattincinci

well the religious nutcases are good for one thing, free publicity

Wed, 19 Aug 2009 12:15:00 UTC | #389751

fredmounts's Avatar Comment 10 by fredmounts

Well, I'm pleased that I was wrong about the letting it slide part. Now, as for the sure to follow lawsuit...

Wed, 19 Aug 2009 12:20:00 UTC | #389753

God fearing Atheist's Avatar Comment 11 by God fearing Atheist

Oh Oh! The UPDATE. Looks like a big lawyer stink is brewing. That could run and run and run - generating free publicity for years!!!

Start the collection tin now - Iowa atheists will need a big war chest to keep the pot bubbling.

Wed, 19 Aug 2009 12:29:00 UTC | #389755

firstelder_d's Avatar Comment 12 by firstelder_d

9. Comment #407355 by zeerust2000
I think you might be on to something.

I wonder how far it will need to go before its not an 'angry strident message from those militant, neo-Darwin, neo-Dawkins atheists'? Maybe: 'Do you sometimes think that maybe perhaps everything you've heard in church isn't quite true? You are not alone'

Wed, 19 Aug 2009 12:40:00 UTC | #389761

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 13 by Ignorant Amos

When are the fundies going to boycott hospitals that carry out abortions...or pharmacies that dispense the pill.....or ....never mind, the list is endless. I bettya his God is well chuffed he is being defended by....a bus driver??? After all whats a super being to do under such a "militant" attack by the hardcore non believers.

I'm with P.Z. on this...lets all have a good laugh at how ridiculous this "nuttier than a fruit cake" paranoia is making these edgits.

Wed, 19 Aug 2009 12:53:00 UTC | #389767

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 14 by Ignorant Amos

9. Comment #407355 by zeerust2000

Yes....they'll have to stop watching T.V., reading newspapers, using the phone....everything, if you take this thought policy to the ultimate conclusion.....it is all pish, stuff and nonsense.

Wed, 19 Aug 2009 12:57:00 UTC | #389768

Lapin Diabolique's Avatar Comment 15 by Lapin Diabolique

As Daniel D. and the rest of the fab four have already figured out, there is no way to critique or even discuss religion without offending these folks.
Hence, we might as well say what we really mean.
My suggestion for a new bus ad would be the four symbols of the "great religions", followed by the phrase: " Fuck off and take your bullshit with you".

Wed, 19 Aug 2009 13:00:00 UTC | #389769

managementboy's Avatar Comment 16 by managementboy

God works in mysterious ways... but firing seems a bit overreacting.

Wed, 19 Aug 2009 13:03:00 UTC | #389770

brainsys's Avatar Comment 17 by brainsys

The crucial question is whether this driver would support another who refused to drive a bus displaying a god slogan?

Wed, 19 Aug 2009 13:06:00 UTC | #389774

shemp333's Avatar Comment 18 by shemp333

I swear a lot of the above commentators did not read the article. It is a woman, Angela Shiel, not a he or a guy.
Also, if you read the article, you would know that it is DART company policy that a driver cannot refuse a working bus. Thus the firing would be standard operating procedure in this situation with any different message on the bus. Not an overreaction at all. Company policy.

The fundies do bring attention to what they protest. I remember a few nuts were picketing the movie "DaVinci Code", and it was all over the news. Free movie advertisement! Come see the controversy for yourselves!
Plus it was sooo funny. It was a fictional story spinning the story of a fictional book. How dare they! REVOLUTION!!! LOL

Wed, 19 Aug 2009 13:37:00 UTC | #389791

SaganTheCat's Avatar Comment 19 by SaganTheCat

I don't think the ignorant prickette should be fired. the martyrdom issue applies here and maybe it's even a chrisitan ploy to fire her in the hope that it creates such anger that the bus company then have reason to refuse to run the ad or that the ad company will withdraw.

I think he should be allowed to not drive it if she's so offended by atheists not being alone but he should lose that shift. if she wants to be a martyr he should go it alone and take a humble paycut rather than a newsworthy sacking

[edited for gender accuracy]

Wed, 19 Aug 2009 13:42:00 UTC | #389795

Prankster's Avatar Comment 20 by Prankster

To quote Basil Fawlty;

"Do I detect the smell of burning Martyr?"

She refuses to drive a working bus because of her beliefs and gets suspended? Good! To hell with her. She obviously doesn't want to follow company rules or regulations as her precious beliefs may be impinged on? Anyone else would just get on with the job of driving the fucking thing wouldn't they? Sack her or suspend her or transfer her to a desk job, it's her own sodding fault for being so thin-skinned.

Meh.

Wed, 19 Aug 2009 14:06:00 UTC | #389811

Moq's Avatar Comment 21 by Moq

I must admit that my brain cannot compute that kind of religious sentiment.

Wed, 19 Aug 2009 14:20:00 UTC | #389818

rod-the-farmer's Avatar Comment 22 by rod-the-farmer

So if the sign is on the side of the bus, she cannot see it unless during boarding the bus herself at the beginning of her shift, then again when she leaves. In both cases there may be some physical movement required to face it so she can read it. (One can easily imagine a driver having no clue as to what adverts are displayed on the side of their bus.) All during her shift, she cannot see the sign. I suppose she can think about it while driving. What if you are a mature woman driving the Ford/Mercury Cougar ? Does that mean you will be accosted by randy young men thinking you are out for a good time ? The bus driver protests too much, methink.

Wed, 19 Aug 2009 14:46:00 UTC | #389832

prettygoodformonkeys's Avatar Comment 23 by prettygoodformonkeys

Absolutely right to fire her, she hired on to drive a functioning bus but she thinks she's entitled to a christian nation to drive it in.

But, she should have quit.

Wed, 19 Aug 2009 14:48:00 UTC | #389836

gr8hands's Avatar Comment 24 by gr8hands

I guess her religion doesn't follow the teachings of the mythical jesus when he supposedly said to render undo Caesar that which is Caesars, and to obey those put in authority over you.

Sadly, she doesn't "get" that she's defying a direct order of jesus, while claiming to be a follower of jesus.

Perhaps she could start a cult denomination called "Christians Against Jesus" or "Christians Who Don't Follow The Word Of Christ".

Wed, 19 Aug 2009 14:49:00 UTC | #389839

Christopher Davis's Avatar Comment 25 by Christopher Davis

Shemp333,

Only the second article was posted earlier this morning. It made no mention of the driver's sex nor did it give a name.

I assumed it was a man (a white man, with a big belly and an overly high opinion of himself). So bust my balls for jumping to conclusions if you want, but I always read the articles before commenting.

Wed, 19 Aug 2009 14:59:00 UTC | #389845

cerad's Avatar Comment 26 by cerad

I smell a conspiracy here. I bet she finagled the schedule just to make sure she got a bus with the sign just so she could refuse to drive it just so she could sue when she get's fired.

This is her chance to make some big bucks and not spend the rest of her life aimlessly driving around a bunch of whining passengers.

Wed, 19 Aug 2009 15:17:00 UTC | #389850

Dr. Strangegod's Avatar Comment 27 by Dr. Strangegod

Again I'll sing the praises of Mr. Brad Miller, whose quotes in this article were spot on. Also, the commentary in the Des Moines Register is heartening. Maybe Iowa ain't so bad after all!

Wed, 19 Aug 2009 15:27:00 UTC | #389854

shemp333's Avatar Comment 28 by shemp333

Chris Davis,

Sorry. Didn't mean to be too harsh... It wasn't just you and I didn't know there was a time diff between the 2 articles. My bad. I was scratching my head as to how the gender mix up could have happened if the commentators had read the first article. Now I know why.

I'd have visualized the same thing with only the article below to go on. Cheers.

Wed, 19 Aug 2009 16:19:00 UTC | #389875

IaninPA's Avatar Comment 29 by IaninPA

Highly unlikey she will actually be fired.

First of all, bus transit drivers are 'Unioned up' out the wazoo, and secondly she'll just say it was against her beliefs. You can get away with a lot in America playing that card.

Wed, 19 Aug 2009 16:27:00 UTC | #389879

EarthandIce's Avatar Comment 30 by EarthandIce

This is a case of 'I want it my way or not at all'. Most Christians are very up front about their right to free speech, but do not want to grant the same to others.

I do not know how many times I have come home to a religious pamphlet stuck on my door knob advocating a specific church filled with so many fear based principles that I gave up trying to figure them out.

Again I agree with a previous poster, that add helps pay for the bus line to continue to run, and is definitely a right of free speech.

Wed, 19 Aug 2009 16:43:00 UTC | #389881