← High school marching band can't wear evolutionary T-shirts

High school marching band can't wear evolutionary T-shirts - Comments

JSB2024's Avatar Comment 1 by JSB2024

“I don’t think evolution should be associated with our school.”

FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM.

Sun, 30 Aug 2009 19:45:00 UTC | #393165

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 2 by mordacious1

1. Comment #411025 by JSB2024

Damn, I was going to quote the same line.

Toto...we gotta get the fuck outta Kansas if we're ever going to learn anything.

[edit] ...and Toto, let's not move across the state line to Missouri either (added to correct my assumption that this happened in Kansas).

Sun, 30 Aug 2009 19:51:00 UTC | #393169

locutus7's Avatar Comment 3 by locutus7

“I don’t think evolution should be associated with our school.”

The direction American education is taking, condensed to a single sentence. Tragic, really tragic.

Sun, 30 Aug 2009 19:52:00 UTC | #393171

Blind Fith's Avatar Comment 4 by Blind Fith

"I don't think evolution should be associated with our school."
I don't think anyone should be associated with their school.

Sun, 30 Aug 2009 19:54:00 UTC | #393172

Jos Gibbons's Avatar Comment 5 by Jos Gibbons

"Pollitt said the district was required by law to remain neutral on religion. “If the shirts had said ‘Brass Resurrections’ and had a picture of Jesus on the cross, we would have done the same thing,” he said." Evolution is SCIENCE. Even if it is genuinely irreconcilable with RELIGION, using the church-state separation argument against evolution would still only work in contexts where said irreconcilability is being POINTED OUT. All the shirt did was show a cliché (somewhat wrong) image, which "Dumb and Dumberer" also lampooned and without consequence. This time, however, $700 of tax was spent to no avail (although technically the cost of the NEXT batch will be the money that's wasted, in the sense of being the amount spent they didn't need to).

Was anyone else annoyed by the fact that no pro-evolution perspective was ever even mentioned in the article? The best we got is a student who "understood" creationist sensibilities, saying evolution "has always been controversial". Yes, with ignoramuses!

I second the remark of locutus7, adding also it shows the shape of American journalism.

Sun, 30 Aug 2009 20:02:00 UTC | #393175

100meters's Avatar Comment 6 by 100meters

While this story is the very definition of "cringeworthy," let's be fair...maybe the school official's point is well-taken...after all, doesn't the doctrine of "Intelligent Band Design" tell us the Sun, Moon, and woodwinds were created on the fourth day, fishes and cymbals on the fifth, and birds and sheet music on the sixth?
Remember, it is only fair to "teach the controversy"....uh-oh, wait...I think I just found a transitional form between the bass viol and the violin.....shucks, this fossilized cello has now ruined everything, drat!

Sun, 30 Aug 2009 20:10:00 UTC | #393177

Thomas Bolanos's Avatar Comment 7 by Thomas Bolanos

I have to puke after reading that. How ignorant are the people there!? "Evolution shouldn't be involved in my school." What the heck is science class for then!? People can be so.... ugh!

Sun, 30 Aug 2009 20:10:00 UTC | #393178

SaintStephen's Avatar Comment 8 by SaintStephen

Welcome, Thomas Bolanos.

Sun, 30 Aug 2009 20:13:00 UTC | #393180

Harvatos's Avatar Comment 10 by Harvatos

Evolution as nothing to do with religion: it as been proved by montains of empiricals evidences. Religions are only superstitions.

Sun, 30 Aug 2009 20:19:00 UTC | #393184

TIKI AL's Avatar Comment 9 by TIKI AL

Isn't a chimp to man progression misleading?

Shouldn't it be a wishbone with a chimp on one side and a man on the other with a common ancestor at the single "Y" middle?

Sun, 30 Aug 2009 20:19:00 UTC | #393183

Jeremy_M._Coleman's Avatar Comment 11 by Jeremy_M._Coleman

I was so distressed at this article, I created an account just to post a comment on it. Seen below:

This is absurd! It shows Pollitt knows very little to nothing at all about evolution. Evolution is SCIENCE,...not some sky-pen-pal religious dogma. Pollitt said the district was required by law to remain neutral on religion. Well Pollitt,...you failed horridly! By allowing religious dogma to influence your decision against science, you have shown favoritism towards religion. This is a clear and obvious violation of the separation of church and state. Since your favoritism has leaned you against science and towards religious influence, I hope suit is brought against your district as you obviously allowed YOUR religious bias to negate a constitutional separation.

Sun, 30 Aug 2009 20:22:00 UTC | #393186

sonnygll's Avatar Comment 12 by sonnygll

It's from my home state of Missouri. Kansas city is fairly sensible, but Sedalia, right outside of there, is pretty much a creotard hick town. When you get very far outside of KC or St. Louis, it gets very much like the bible belt.

I am from the suburbs of St. Louis. It is fairly liberal here. However, when I was in college (I went to a technical school near my house), there were a lot of people that came there from rural areas. A few of us were discussing evolution. I was shocked to hear people that thought creationism was real. I thought it was like a flat earth thing. I remember thinking, "Wow these country boys are dumb. What kind of an idiot would take the bible literally?"

It was only later I discovered lots of people, including the majority of rural populations, were fundie nutjobs. I didn't know that growing up, because in school there were only a couple wacko kids. Most of us believed in god, but we didn't think about it much.

So this article wasn't surprising after I saw it was from Sedalia.

Sun, 30 Aug 2009 20:25:00 UTC | #393189

bethe123's Avatar Comment 13 by bethe123

As Brad Pollitt made the decision, he is the one who should be fired.

Sun, 30 Aug 2009 20:27:00 UTC | #393190

MarcCountry's Avatar Comment 14 by MarcCountry

"Smith-Cotton High: Where Evolution is Stopped in its Tracks!"

Sun, 30 Aug 2009 20:51:00 UTC | #393200

kev_s's Avatar Comment 15 by kev_s

And umm ... the person responsible for the "I don’t think evolution should be associated with our school" was a school teacher in the district.

Sun, 30 Aug 2009 20:56:00 UTC | #393204

Carl Sai Baba's Avatar Comment 16 by Carl Sai Baba

Melby said. “I don’t think evolution should be associated with our school.”

Maybe she is right. The school does not appear to be involved in the teaching, practice, or results of evolution. Those t-shirts are kind of misleading.

Sun, 30 Aug 2009 21:03:00 UTC | #393206

SaintStephen's Avatar Comment 17 by SaintStephen

16. Comment #411073 by RightWingAtheist

Huh? It's a high school. The truth should always be taught in high school.

EDIT: Joke? Sarcasm? Meh.

Sun, 30 Aug 2009 21:17:00 UTC | #393208

Mark Smith's Avatar Comment 18 by Mark Smith

I've just watched Bill Maher's Religulous (very good by the way, better than I expected) and this kind of thing illustrates just what he is talking about. As a Brit I'm continually surprised how powerful conservative Christianity is in (some parts of) America. It is desperately sad that kids are indoctrinated to this extent and hindered from properly understanding the world around them.

Sun, 30 Aug 2009 21:26:00 UTC | #393210

Sonic's Avatar Comment 19 by Sonic

This article got me thinking, the US Postal Service has a program for Customized PC Postage that lets people put images on stamps that become valid postage. Someone is having fun with the theory of evolution here - http://www.zazzle.com/evolveshop/darwin stamps

Sun, 30 Aug 2009 21:29:00 UTC | #393211

Fil's Avatar Comment 20 by Fil

Morons.

Sun, 30 Aug 2009 21:48:00 UTC | #393214

antx's Avatar Comment 21 by antx

“I don’t think evolution should be associated with our school.”

FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM.

My thoughts exactly...

Sun, 30 Aug 2009 21:50:00 UTC | #393215

Beachbum's Avatar Comment 23 by Beachbum

This frigin' article has epitomized the whole of the problem with US education, it truly sickens me.

Sun, 30 Aug 2009 21:58:00 UTC | #393218

SaintStephen's Avatar Comment 22 by SaintStephen

Facepalm.org

Wait 5 seconds and the image will automatically switch to a new one. Good 'ole Google.

Sun, 30 Aug 2009 21:58:00 UTC | #393217

soul_biscuit's Avatar Comment 24 by soul_biscuit

Yeah, it was pretty entertaining, but I made sure to take the time to find out which of his claims were justified and which were bullshit (i.e. the comparison of Jesus to Horus, lifted straight from Zeitgeist.)

Ahyway, this is pretty vexing. You would think the band director would understand how controversial his choice was, though. I wonder if he was trying to draw attention to the problem of science illiteracy, or just having a bit of a chuckle while he poked the hornet's nest?

Not that I'm rebuking him. I think it's beautiful the way he's exposed the ass-backwardness of his school district.

Sun, 30 Aug 2009 22:02:00 UTC | #393219

Huginn's Avatar Comment 25 by Huginn

"Pollitt said the district was required by law to remain neutral on religion."

If that's the case, do they teach heliocentrism?
Because the Bible say's something else.

Sun, 30 Aug 2009 22:09:00 UTC | #393224

Chris Roberts's Avatar Comment 26 by Chris Roberts

Pollitt said the district was required by law to remain neutral on religion.

“It’s not like we are saying God is bad,” sophomore band member Denyel Luke said. “We aren’t promoting evolution.”

“I can see where the parents are coming from,” he said. “Evolution has always been controversial.”

This has got to be satire, right?
Another onion article?

Sun, 30 Aug 2009 22:10:00 UTC | #393226

Carl Sai Baba's Avatar Comment 27 by Carl Sai Baba

Beachbum on August 30, 2009 at 10:58 pm

I don't think so. These are still a minority. Too many to be acceptable, but not enough to constitute a problem with all schools. However, the school censoring evolution on the grounds of religious offense is the whole of the problem in those schools which do it.

Sun, 30 Aug 2009 22:19:00 UTC | #393229

AdamMil's Avatar Comment 28 by AdamMil

They've got to "remain neutral on religion"? Fine. But evolution is not a religion!

If they're objecting to evolution because it contradicts some religious beliefs, then to be consistent they should also not want geology or astronomy, and maybe even sociology or civics, associated with their school either. And if they were really "neutral on religion" and rejected science that contradicted any religion (as opposed to just fundamentalist Christianity), then probably a whole lot more scientific disciplines would have to go...

More likely, they haven't even thought that far, and don't even know what the theory of evolution says.

Sun, 30 Aug 2009 22:21:00 UTC | #393231

Quine's Avatar Comment 30 by Quine

Hope they put the T-shirts up on eBay to recover cost. I would buy one. Perhaps RDF could help by selling a few for them.

Sun, 30 Aug 2009 22:47:00 UTC | #393236