← Charles Darwin film 'too controversial for religious America'

Charles Darwin film 'too controversial for religious America' - Comments

bruceeverett's Avatar Comment 1 by bruceeverett

Wow. This is shameful. I'm gobsmacked.

Sat, 12 Sep 2009 11:44:00 UTC | #396250

toddaa's Avatar Comment 2 by toddaa

There's got to be something more to this. As cynical as I am, not even I can grasp America being this stupid.

Sat, 12 Sep 2009 11:46:00 UTC | #396251

Chrysippus_Maximus's Avatar Comment 3 by Chrysippus_Maximus

I don't think America is that stupid. I think Gallup may be, though.

Sat, 12 Sep 2009 12:15:00 UTC | #396260

pipsy's Avatar Comment 4 by pipsy

It would look like 61% of Americans are obviously stupid.

Sat, 12 Sep 2009 12:19:00 UTC | #396262

JemyM's Avatar Comment 5 by JemyM

Movieguide.org, an influential site which reviews films from a Christian perspective, described Darwin as the father of eugenics and denounced him as "a racist, a bigot and an 1800s naturalist whose legacy is mass murder". His "half-baked theory" directly influenced Adolf Hitler and led to "atrocities, crimes against humanity, cloning and genetic engineering", the site stated.

It's important to note, that the "Christian perspective" is still in the habit of mythmaking. Still in the 21th century can we see new myths being woven, disguising itself as history.

The will to know is perhaps the most spiritual fire within human nature, and Christianity is the most successful Candle extinguisher made by man.

Sat, 12 Sep 2009 12:20:00 UTC | #396263

Drosera's Avatar Comment 6 by Drosera

Yeah, right. And Jesus was born of a virgin and died on the cross for our sins.

BTW, what is wrong with cloning and genetic engineering per se?

Sat, 12 Sep 2009 12:27:00 UTC | #396266

Nastika's Avatar Comment 7 by Nastika

Sat, 12 Sep 2009 12:31:00 UTC | #396269

the great teapot's Avatar Comment 8 by the great teapot

39% is a large number of people to ignore.
Probably more than 61% couldn't care less about harry potter, did they distribute that?
To be fair it won't be a very profitable venture even in the UK.

Sat, 12 Sep 2009 12:39:00 UTC | #396272

AmandaKCampbell's Avatar Comment 9 by AmandaKCampbell

I'll be very disappointed if the film does not release here in the States. Of course, there's always Netflix when it comes out on DVD, but I'd really love for it to be released in theaters, and to go out with friends to see it. :(

Hopefully this article will spur SOMEONE in the US to pick it up!

Sat, 12 Sep 2009 12:41:00 UTC | #396274

squeegee's Avatar Comment 10 by squeegee

an influential site which reviews films from a Christian perspective

In other words a worthless organisation. A film review site run by flat earthers, holocaust deniers or believers in extra terrestrial kidnappings would be just as invalid as they are all biased, delusional liars.

If it's true that this film isn't being shown in the US because of "the controversy" [give me a break] then the Obama administration is in charge of more fuckwits per capita then any other democracy on the planet.

Sat, 12 Sep 2009 12:45:00 UTC | #396275

AmandaKCampbell's Avatar Comment 13 by AmandaKCampbell

Also: the fact that Gallup found that only 39% of Americans believe in evolution just made me go back to the office and tell Husband to consider the idea of moving out of this country once he gets his physics doctorate.

Sat, 12 Sep 2009 12:46:00 UTC | #396279

Moq's Avatar Comment 12 by Moq

The comment by the producer is spot on. It's difficult to understand this kind of attitude in the 21st century. The ignorance seems pervasive and unbecoming of a supposedly civilized country.

Sat, 12 Sep 2009 12:46:00 UTC | #396278

gobes's Avatar Comment 11 by gobes

Twats.

How many times do these people need to be told that Eugenics was based on artificial selection, something which was know about long before Darwin was even born?

Sat, 12 Sep 2009 12:46:00 UTC | #396277

j.mills's Avatar Comment 14 by j.mills

This just makes me sad. Poor America. [Shakes head.]

Sat, 12 Sep 2009 12:49:00 UTC | #396280

zeerust2000's Avatar Comment 15 by zeerust2000

The theory of evolution is about as controversial as the theory of relativity. The problem is, it would appear that the people who don't understand relativity (like me), know that they don't understand it, whereas those who don't understand evolution appear to be blissfully ignorant of the fact.

Sat, 12 Sep 2009 12:52:00 UTC | #396282

terradea's Avatar Comment 16 by terradea

As an American, I can assure you that a high percentage of Americans ARE that stupid. Observe the large percentage who voted for Bush because of his faith in Jesus ... twice.

Sat, 12 Sep 2009 12:53:00 UTC | #396283

Border Collie's Avatar Comment 17 by Border Collie

I'll try to do some work on finding US distributors so that I/we can send them emails so that we can get the movie here. Maybe some of you other American guys and gals can do same. I'll post whatever I find on this thread. I will henceforth refer to Christians as Nazis. Every day I awaken in a country that seems more and more like a David Lynch movie.

Sat, 12 Sep 2009 12:58:00 UTC | #396284

gruebait's Avatar Comment 18 by gruebait

As a 'Merkin, the Telegraph article doesn't describe a US that I am that familiar with.

I have always felt that the Gallup numbers must be seriously skewed by a whole lot of people who really have no strong feelings or thoughts about religion, but respond with "normal" answers when asked about it.

There are lots of religious fundamentalists here, but I can't help but think that they are louder than they are numerous. Somewhat, at least.

Sat, 12 Sep 2009 13:00:00 UTC | #396287

IPV4's Avatar Comment 19 by IPV4

God I hate my country!

Sat, 12 Sep 2009 13:01:00 UTC | #396289

Alan the Impious's Avatar Comment 20 by Alan the Impious

Actually terradea Bush was only voted in once, technically,lol. But your point is clear.

It would be nice for an American movie distributor to grow some balls and pick this up. It's not rocket science. What's the number one growing demographic in the US? Atheists. Surely someone can see the potential of a film like this.

I don't think there's a more important film that 61% of Americans need to see.

Sat, 12 Sep 2009 13:02:00 UTC | #396291

Border Collie's Avatar Comment 21 by Border Collie

That wasn't such a great link. I'll keep searching.

Sat, 12 Sep 2009 13:05:00 UTC | #396293

Szymanowski's Avatar Comment 22 by Szymanowski

...denounced him as "a racist, a bigot and an 1800s naturalist..."

So '1800s naturalist' is on a level with 'racist' and 'bigot'?!

Sat, 12 Sep 2009 13:06:00 UTC | #396294

bluebird's Avatar Comment 23 by bluebird

Sat, 12 Sep 2009 13:11:00 UTC | #396297

Dhamma's Avatar Comment 24 by Dhamma

They never cease to amaze me. "Half-baked theory"?
Do we really share ~99% DNA with these nutters?

Well, I'm incredibly happy I live in Sweden where creationists are at a minimum. I wish every American on this site could have a week over here, just to see that sane people do exist.

Sat, 12 Sep 2009 13:12:00 UTC | #396298

linbetwin's Avatar Comment 25 by linbetwin

I don't want to hear any more Americans talk about their precious freedoms. They make it seem like the US is the pinnacle of freedom or even the only truly free country in the world. It's true there's no government censorship, but boycotting by pressure groups leads to a sort of self-imposed censorship. But I am sure that, in the end, someone WILL have the courage to distribute this film there.

Sat, 12 Sep 2009 13:14:00 UTC | #396299

IPV4's Avatar Comment 26 by IPV4

DHamma,

I wish I could, thanks for the invite.

This level of nutiness has only grown since bush took office. This has nothing to do with politics just observation.

Sat, 12 Sep 2009 13:16:00 UTC | #396300

Fuzzy Duck's Avatar Comment 27 by Fuzzy Duck

So "Transformers 2" was allowed in the states, but not a benign movie about Darwin? What a disgrace.

-Kevin

Sat, 12 Sep 2009 13:20:00 UTC | #396302

IPV4's Avatar Comment 28 by IPV4

If anything, what we are viewing in America for the last 20 or so years is the brainwashing of people at a mass scale.

We are currently living in an environment where the current president is being compared to Hitler and that he is a not a natural born citizen but an implant. These accusations are being thrown due to the president’s audacity to take on some of the corporate lobbyist in Washington in an attempt to spread health care to those that are less fortunate and to those that have insurance but are being denied by their carriers for nefarious reasons.

Let me not forget to mention that people think he is setting up death panels.

So, in a nutshell what we have is a very uniformed and uneducated populace that takes their marching orders from the right wing news media that is hell bent on taking down this president at all cost by spreading propaganda.

Sat, 12 Sep 2009 13:28:00 UTC | #396304

Nunbeliever's Avatar Comment 29 by Nunbeliever

I live in Finland that is a quite secular country. When I read articles like these I start wondering if I live on the same planet???

A movie about the life of a historical person is too controversial, but "The Passion of Christ" is just ok! Or the awful movie Expelled! I just feel sick.

Sat, 12 Sep 2009 14:25:00 UTC | #396312

AtheistYeti's Avatar Comment 30 by AtheistYeti

This actually really pisses me off. I live in America and I REALLY wanted to see this movie. Censorship wins :/

If you don't like evolution, fine. But don't be a whiny little jerk and prevent people from watching a MOVIE because you don't want believe. Stop making a controversy where there doesn't need to be one.

And the whole thing about how Darwin was evil just really pissed me off, I could punch someone in the face right now.

Sat, 12 Sep 2009 14:34:00 UTC | #396314