← Unbelievable: From Atheism to Christian Faith

Unbelievable: From Atheism to Christian Faith - Comments

tieInterceptor's Avatar Comment 1 by tieInterceptor

"Richard Morgan: Mormon turned Hindu turned atheist becomes Christian... "

promiscuous faith he has... LOL

But what made him convert? Two things. First, Robertson asked him two simple questions. Why are you an atheist? What would it take to convince you that God is real? Morgan, who was used to philosophical arguments rather than more personal, emotional arguments, was taken aback. He realized that he was not open to actually being convinced otherwise. Second, he remembered the following scripture, which led to his conversion experience, an experience of love which made him a believer:

1 John 4:19
We love Him because He first loved us.

Say no more.

Tue, 15 Sep 2009 14:40:00 UTC | #397212

OlavRokne's Avatar Comment 3 by OlavRokne

Will he be Zoroastrian next£

Tue, 15 Sep 2009 14:49:00 UTC | #397217

Dhamma's Avatar Comment 4 by Dhamma

DAR thinks Morgan's music was "surprisingly good" and that Morgan was "surpisingly talented".

Anyone that's heard the crap knows only an idiot would say that.

Tue, 15 Sep 2009 14:51:00 UTC | #397218

alaskansee's Avatar Comment 5 by alaskansee

How is this possible or did he always intend to "convert"? I smell a rat.

He cannot have had any understanding, even the smallest, of atheism. I always laugh when I hear theists calling atheism a "religion" but this is what Morgan thinks, he tried some of the others why not this one! Clearly not any kind of atheist I want to know or have amongst our ranks.

Tue, 15 Sep 2009 14:54:00 UTC | #397220

adrianpatrick's Avatar Comment 6 by adrianpatrick

"keen poster on the richarddawkins.net website for most of his life"

erm.... how old would that make him then? About 4? 'bless him :)

Tue, 15 Sep 2009 14:55:00 UTC | #397221

mr_darkman's Avatar Comment 7 by mr_darkman

Good luck to him. I have no problem with atheism to Christian "conversions". The problem only comes about if they start making claims of fact based on their faith, such as the age of the earth

Tue, 15 Sep 2009 15:02:00 UTC | #397223

mark8's Avatar Comment 8 by mark8

"He had looked into "Buddhism, Zen, I Ching, Numerology, tarot cards and Astrology". Stevens' brother David Gordon brought him a copy of the Qur'an as a birthday gift from a trip to Jerusalem."

Thought it sounded familiar, just another lost individual looking for meaning in life and finding it in religion in one form or another. Like Cat, he had to try them all, next stop it's Islam for him.

Tue, 15 Sep 2009 15:05:00 UTC | #397224

TheDawgLives's Avatar Comment 9 by TheDawgLives

In the first few minutes he says he became an atheist when he realized that he was only turning to religion for social acceptance. He claims that was just during his youth, and now that he's more mature, he no longer moves from one belief to another searching for people to faun over him...

riiiight

Tue, 15 Sep 2009 15:06:00 UTC | #397225

Sage's Avatar Comment 10 by Sage

Becoming disillusioned with the mentality of the athiests on this site seems a bit of a perverse reason to suddenly start beleving in a higher power.

Tue, 15 Sep 2009 15:09:00 UTC | #397226

Sp!tfire's Avatar Comment 11 by Sp!tfire

Oh come on. You can't give up some idea just because you're annoyed with some people. That sounds so arbitrary...

Tue, 15 Sep 2009 15:10:00 UTC | #397227

mr_darkman's Avatar Comment 12 by mr_darkman

...we are such bad examples of atheists we convert others to god.
Bad forum members, bad.

Tue, 15 Sep 2009 15:12:00 UTC | #397228

Steve Adamo's Avatar Comment 13 by Steve Adamo

Maybe he found "PROOF"!

The only 'logical' way of moving from disbelief to belief would be if some tangible proof became evident.

But then again, when did logic ever hold sway in that 'universe'...

Tue, 15 Sep 2009 15:19:00 UTC | #397230

ColdFusionLazarus's Avatar Comment 14 by ColdFusionLazarus

Let me put it bluntly. "Unbefuckinglievable".

Through many months I've been encouraged to ignore the troll. Not too difficult for me. DAR is all too easy for me to ignore. But here we have a whole article about Richard Morgan and David Robertson.

Great. I'm happy to see it here and discuss it.
But what about the moment that our friendly Troll comes in to comment. Why, he'll be auto-trolled of course. Even if his comments are temporarily allowed to stay, it won't take long before someone accuses him of making an inflamatory comment.

With the present conditions, it would have been better for this article not to be here. He's got enough publicity, which he seeks for himself. Why give him more? Why disappear up our own backsides discussing what we already know about these 2 clowns!

Tue, 15 Sep 2009 15:23:00 UTC | #397231

Sally Luxmoore's Avatar Comment 15 by Sally Luxmoore

Huh.

This man is just religiously promiscuous.

He obviously treated atheism as a religion, or at least as a form of social identification - he seems to average a maximum of 3 - 4 years in each stage.

I can't help wondering about his mental health.

Tue, 15 Sep 2009 15:27:00 UTC | #397233

Follow Peter Egan's Avatar Comment 16 by Follow Peter Egan

Having read some of the (amusing) comments after the link I've decided not to listen to this one. Bless him.

Tue, 15 Sep 2009 15:40:00 UTC | #397238

sbooder's Avatar Comment 17 by sbooder

I have never thought of any forum as a community, I contribute to many forums on many topics but I have never considered myself a member of some brotherhood; ganging up on anyone. I have no feelings one way or another for anyone on this forum, how can I, I do not know any of you. And neither do I think of RD as some kind of leader, I do not know him either. I read his books, but I find them accessible on the topic of science.

Good luck to him and others, if this is what they want. I for one have no problem with that.

Tue, 15 Sep 2009 15:42:00 UTC | #397239

Dhamma's Avatar Comment 18 by Dhamma

I do agree with them that there is the occasional patting on the back on this site, however, I'm absolutely positive it occurs on virtually every site. It's a human behaviour, and I don't think that's a reason to convert to theism, exactly.

Morgan's simply a weak person who want a god to exist for comfort. I think we could gather that from his history. That, however, is obviously not a reason to convert to theism. Evidence is the only thing that could make me convert, and it should be the same for everyone.

Tue, 15 Sep 2009 15:43:00 UTC | #397240

Sally Luxmoore's Avatar Comment 19 by Sally Luxmoore

Well, maybe this means that some of the people on 'Premier Christian Radio' will have a look on here and make up their own minds. It's just possible.

Tue, 15 Sep 2009 15:46:00 UTC | #397244

Diacanu's Avatar Comment 20 by Diacanu

alaskansee-

How is this possible or did he always intend to "convert"? I smell a rat.

Ditto.

Tue, 15 Sep 2009 15:47:00 UTC | #397245

happyatheist's Avatar Comment 21 by happyatheist

"However, after becoming disillusioned with the mentality of some atheists on the website, he subsequently experienced a dramatic conversion to Christianity in 2008."

LOLOL!!! It's just so silly when you read it. LOL! "Oh no, they're making me think about uncomfortable issues. I have to get outta here!!" LOL! Every atheist in the world could be an asshole...but what does that have to do with anything?? What does that have to say about whether any gods exist or ever have existed?? Sounds like he just wants to belong to a warm and fuzzy friendship club...Good luck with that. LOL!

Tue, 15 Sep 2009 15:48:00 UTC | #397246

Diacanu's Avatar Comment 22 by Diacanu

sbooder-

Interesting that he didn't try another atheist forum before running back to Jebus.

Tue, 15 Sep 2009 15:49:00 UTC | #397247

Sp!tfire's Avatar Comment 23 by Sp!tfire

Look, i don't understand his conversion. So, he was upset, schoked and hurt with some horrible atheists in this site. But is this a good reason to stop being an Atheist... and to become a Christian? It seems to me he just followed the old pattern of his life (revealed by him). He wants acceptence. And David Robertson said something nice about him in some post. The rest followed.
The way i see it... if you are an atheist you gotta have solid reasons that can't be affected by nasty things some other atheist fellow might say. There are bad, cold people everywhere. Specially in the Internets where they can get way with insult...

Tue, 15 Sep 2009 15:49:00 UTC | #397248

Diacanu's Avatar Comment 24 by Diacanu

Sp!tfire-

Indeed, otherwise, my fistfights with Bonzai, Teratornis, and Styrer would've had me in the fucking choir.

Tue, 15 Sep 2009 15:51:00 UTC | #397249

brainsys's Avatar Comment 25 by brainsys

Presumably he is the same Richard Morgan who posted all these: http://richarddawkins.net/userComments,page1,4021

Why try to rubbish him when his words do it so more eloquently?

Tue, 15 Sep 2009 15:52:00 UTC | #397250

Sally Luxmoore's Avatar Comment 26 by Sally Luxmoore

I am still listening to the programme (30 mins in) but have not so far heard anything at all about arguments for the existence or non-existence of any god. He just didn't like being disagreed with.

I'm inclined to agree with Alaskansee and Diacanu - more than one rat smelt here.

Tue, 15 Sep 2009 15:53:00 UTC | #397251

Adrian Bartholomew's Avatar Comment 28 by Adrian Bartholomew

5. Comment #415318 by alaskansee
How is this possible or did he always intend to "convert"? I smell a rat.

”No True Scotsman” fallacy…. It’s not great when theists do it to distance themselves from de-converters and its no better when we atheists do it to converters.

PS. Ironically the “No True Scotsman” fallacy was advanced by none other than Anthony Flew who also converted from atheism to theism so it seemed fitting to use it here.

Tue, 15 Sep 2009 15:56:00 UTC | #397254

Philster61's Avatar Comment 27 by Philster61

Keen poster my arse. More like a computer virus trying to infiltrate windows xp. He was never an atheist.Besides for every counter conversion to Christianity,there must at least a thousand that convert towards the opposite direction.

Tue, 15 Sep 2009 15:56:00 UTC | #397252

Chrysippus_Maximus's Avatar Comment 29 by Chrysippus_Maximus

You can't convert to Zoroastrianism.

Tue, 15 Sep 2009 15:57:00 UTC | #397255

Dhamma's Avatar Comment 30 by Dhamma

"Listening to this radio interview, makes me think, this is exactly what this guy was looking for, a social group. And as this group did not meet expectations he moved to another. "

This is the core, in my opinion. Don't be fooled, we're ALL looking for a social group where we feel accepted. I bet a great deal of us RD.netters feel "at home" here. At least I do. Fortunately this group doesn't force me to have particular beliefs.

Some people have a great need of a belonging where others have less. I think it's obvious where Morgan fits.

Tue, 15 Sep 2009 15:59:00 UTC | #397256