← Dawkins says creationism largely a US problem

Dawkins says creationism largely a US problem - Comments

SaintStephen's Avatar Comment 1 by SaintStephen

That is apart from one disgruntled audience member who walked out after shouting at the author and calling him a self-parody.
Yes, but what is not mentioned is that this same audience member was also ”perp walked” at 12:05am that same evening out of the Clontarf Castle Hotel bar, located in Dublin’s leafy Northside suburbs, all the while loudly proclaiming the following apparently self-authored limerick:

Dawkins is almost certainly no James Joyce
Because the cunt simply gives us no choice
But when it comes to beer
The evidence is quite clear…

...That Guinness is my God and I’ll have no others before me! Put down your Harps, your Smithwick’s, and your O’Hara’s you ignorant twits! Oh Póg mo Thóin you wine-drinking nutters! Feck! Arse! Drink! Just make sure to drink from the cup of Old Stout himself… OOOFFF! Well now that wasn’t very Christian of you mate... just enjoying the craic and minding my own business, I was...HEY! Easy with the T-shirt! Richard Dawkins signed it himself… lovely chap that man, bless his unwavering heart… OUCH!!!

Etc., etc., etc.

Fri, 18 Sep 2009 14:19:00 UTC | #398656

stevenLagnew's Avatar Comment 2 by stevenLagnew

"Richard Dawkins was preaching to the converted in Dublin"

To be honest I say the same thing about priests

Fri, 18 Sep 2009 14:24:00 UTC | #398659

Quetzalcoatl's Avatar Comment 3 by Quetzalcoatl

On this side of the Atlantic, Dawkins said that an influx of a very large Muslim population was difficult for scientists because Muslims believe that every single word of the Koran is true.

Did he say this?

Tyler Durden was there: if you're out there, Tyler, did he say the above?

Fri, 18 Sep 2009 14:25:00 UTC | #398660

s.k.graham's Avatar Comment 4 by s.k.graham

Not sure how accurately the reporter paraphrased, but the last sentence is ripe for misinterpretation / misrepresentation:

"The future of evolution would not be based on survival of the fittest, but on reproduction of the fittest, he said."

I can just hear it now... that Dawkins supposedly support eugenics, government controls on reproductive rights, etc.

Anyway, it would be much more true to say that the future of evolution is memes, rather than genese, as the technology to manipulate DNA moves from its current baby steps to ubiquity.

Fri, 18 Sep 2009 14:29:00 UTC | #398663

JackR's Avatar Comment 5 by JackR

"However, the protesting audience member accused Dawkins of trying to fight fundamentalism with his own form of fundamentalism."

Shortly after that he was also heard to say "Waaaark! Polly wants a cracker!"

Fri, 18 Sep 2009 14:29:00 UTC | #398664

godless_hoor's Avatar Comment 6 by godless_hoor

Ireland is making great progress in some ways. Church attendance is plummeting, especially among the young who are among the most well educated in Europe. It seems Prof. Dawkins was well received in Dublin too, good to see.

Pity about the idiotic government's recent (totally unnecessary) blasphemy law. I'm dying to see them try to enforce it, I really am. There would be uproar.

Fri, 18 Sep 2009 14:31:00 UTC | #398665

Tyler Durden's Avatar Comment 7 by Tyler Durden

Comment #416793 by Quetzalcoatl

Yes, heard it with my own ears.

(I know one Muslim who is Muslim-lite.)

Fri, 18 Sep 2009 14:37:00 UTC | #398667

fergalbreen's Avatar Comment 8 by fergalbreen

I hear Prof. Dawkins will be appearing on the Late Late TV show tonight.
Can't wait.

Fri, 18 Sep 2009 14:50:00 UTC | #398675

eoinc's Avatar Comment 9 by eoinc

I'd been wondering if there would be any crazies in attendance who would cause a scene, and the guy who stormed out certainly didn't disappoint. At first, his "question" consisted of a rambling autobiography about how he came from a deprived part of the city, and that he had struggled hard to get to where he was today. He was speaking quickly and mumbling a lot, so it was difficult to hear exactly what he was saying (Richard even left the stage and stood in the audience - right next to me! - to try to hear him better). Then the guy started on about "intellectual elitism" and evolutionary fundamentalism, and his true motives became clear.

An enjoyable evening. And thank you, Richard, for signing all of the books I'd brought with me.

Fri, 18 Sep 2009 14:54:00 UTC | #398678

Stonyground's Avatar Comment 10 by Stonyground

That old saw about atheist fundamentalism really pisses me off. I see a fundamentalist as someone with a very narrow little worldview who finds it impossible to believe that a single one of his opinions could be wrong. Atheists on the contrary are generally open to persuasion but demand convincing evidence before changing their minds. There is simply no comparison.

As for "intellectual elitism", anyone with a reasonable amount of intelligence and the ability to read is free to join the road to knowledge, if he is too ignorant and lazy isn't that his problem?

Fri, 18 Sep 2009 15:39:00 UTC | #398689

SaintStephen's Avatar Comment 11 by SaintStephen

8. Comment #416808 by fergalbreen on September 18, 2009 at 3:50 pm

I hear Prof. Dawkins will be appearing on the Late Late TV show tonight.
Can't wait.
I just set the DVR... I'm assuming you are referring to Craig Ferguson's show? According to our TV listings the guest is Neil Patrick Harris... is Dawkins set for a short cameo, maybe?

Fri, 18 Sep 2009 16:34:00 UTC | #398719

Dr. Strangegod's Avatar Comment 12 by Dr. Strangegod

Craig Ferguson is the shit! I'd love to hear him interview Richard... but I doubt it somehow. More likely the Pat Kenny show from Ireland. Or, I guess, Ryan Tubridy now.

Fri, 18 Sep 2009 16:43:00 UTC | #398722

SaintStephen's Avatar Comment 13 by SaintStephen

12. Comment #416855 by Lucas on September 18, 2009 at 5:43 pm

Feck! Arse! Drink!.

(Thanks for the info, Lucas!)

Fri, 18 Sep 2009 16:51:00 UTC | #398727

mlgatheist's Avatar Comment 14 by mlgatheist

I have heard, from people who have relatives over there, that Iran and Saudia Arabia schools claim that life did not evolve but was created by Allah.

I use to think that Islam did not care, one way or the other, about evolution. Anymore than the catholic church and it's leader. However, even the current pope seems to be against it. Despite the years that they were not against it.

Fri, 18 Sep 2009 17:49:00 UTC | #398736

adamd164's Avatar Comment 15 by adamd164

@ SaintStephen

The Late Late Show is an Irish television programme on RTE1. Richard is on that tonight.

I will be recording it for youtube in case anyone here outside Ireland wants to watch it.

Fri, 18 Sep 2009 18:16:00 UTC | #398741

SaintStephen's Avatar Comment 16 by SaintStephen

15. Comment #416875 by adamd164 on September 18, 2009 at 7:16 pm

Most excellent! Please ask Josh Timonen to post it on RD.net, mebbe?

Blesspheme you, my son!

Fri, 18 Sep 2009 18:23:00 UTC | #398743

beanson's Avatar Comment 17 by beanson

Saint Stephen you really are the king of html colours aren't you

Fri, 18 Sep 2009 19:39:00 UTC | #398777

jamiso's Avatar Comment 18 by jamiso

To be honest, I dont think creationism is the biggest problem in the world at the moment. The fact, that he said this in a place that had years upon years of sectarian religious civil war, and currently has blasphemy laws, is kind of to that point.

Things like creationism are doomed to die a death by scrutiny, and in more backwards places in the US, there is a reactionary response to progress (hence the current tea bagging right wing glen beck inspired Palinists). However, they ARE a minority, and dare I say, in their thrashing "death throes".
Meanwhile, the courts have struck down intelligent design as "science".

The most important thing, is that there is freedom to put these fables to scrutiny, as long as we have that, we always win.
What concerns me more is that in much of the world the fairy tales are guarded, and scrutiny is a crime. That is the single worst thing.

Fri, 18 Sep 2009 20:02:00 UTC | #398784

Border Collie's Avatar Comment 19 by Border Collie

Jamiso, I hope you're right that creationism is doomed to die a death by scrutiny. I'm not going to hold my breath until that happens, though.

Fri, 18 Sep 2009 21:32:00 UTC | #398804

Koreman's Avatar Comment 20 by Koreman

I'd love to have an invisible skydaddy and stop thinking, but I'm not sure which one to choose.

Off topic, PZ Myer receives death threats.

Fri, 18 Sep 2009 21:34:00 UTC | #398805

Bala's Avatar Comment 21 by Bala

A tragic example how creationists are abusing children's mind http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekAx3WRo8g0&feature=related

they all seem to be getting their "facts" from www.drdino.com

Fri, 18 Sep 2009 22:35:00 UTC | #398819

j.mills's Avatar Comment 22 by j.mills

It seems a very common characteristic among the ardent theists that they are deaf to irony...

Fri, 18 Sep 2009 22:52:00 UTC | #398822

jamiso's Avatar Comment 23 by jamiso

"The future of evolution would not be based on survival of the fittest, but on reproduction of the fittest"

That is actually kind of troubling, ever seen Idiocracy... Imagine a future of "Octomoms"

Fri, 18 Sep 2009 23:05:00 UTC | #398827

iflos's Avatar Comment 24 by iflos

"The statement is true...if you dont count Africa, South America, and Asia...and much of the world."

I can only speak for a tiny portion of South America (the country of Guyana). We were taught the theory of evolution at the age of about 12. There was no controversy. However, we did partake of that barbaric ritual of reciting the Lord's prayer every morning at school.

Fri, 18 Sep 2009 23:08:00 UTC | #398828

zeerust2000's Avatar Comment 25 by zeerust2000

Creationism may well be a primarily US phenomenon, but here in Australia it still pops up now and again. For example, my sister in law told me recently that she was taking her sons out of a very prestigious Anglican private school in the heart of Sydney, for various reasons. One reason was that, according to her, the head of the science department is a creationist and refuses to teach those parts of the curriculum dealing with evolution. So the school has to bring in a substitute teacher for those classes. This is one of the worst aspects of creationism, as we all know. The impact on the education of our kids.

Fri, 18 Sep 2009 23:13:00 UTC | #398831

root2squared's Avatar Comment 26 by root2squared

And what about the fundamentalist Christians?
Aren't Muslims a minority?

Sat, 19 Sep 2009 02:48:00 UTC | #398851

robotaholic's Avatar Comment 27 by robotaholic

"preaching to the converted"

I'm sick of the religious references...no, we're not fundamentalists, we're not 'converted' and Richard Dawkins is not a 'high priest'

They could have just said he had a lot of fans present...

Besides, I have plenty of humanist/atheist/nonreligious friends who never were religious and hence never had a conversion.

Sat, 19 Sep 2009 03:02:00 UTC | #398854

SaintStephen's Avatar Comment 28 by SaintStephen

17. Comment #416912 by beanson on September 18, 2009 at 8:39 pm

Saint Stephen you really are the king of html colours aren't you
I thank the multi-colored Lord Jebus, King of Kings, for my inspiration, Mr. beanson.

Sat, 19 Sep 2009 03:09:00 UTC | #398855

SaintStephen's Avatar Comment 29 by SaintStephen

21. Comment #416954 by seabala on September 18, 2009 at 11:35 pm

I just LOVE this avatar! Ha!

I laugh every time I see it, which isn’t nearly often enough, my artistic friend seabala.

Sat, 19 Sep 2009 03:25:00 UTC | #398857

jamiso's Avatar Comment 30 by jamiso

24. Comment #416963 by iflos

That's kind of what I mean, there is no state I know of where Biology class does not teach about evolution, and I'm also sure that none of them can open homeroom with the lord's prayer.

Sat, 19 Sep 2009 05:29:00 UTC | #398874