← People with 'no religion' gaining on major denominations

People with 'no religion' gaining on major denominations - Comments

InfuriatedSciTeacher's Avatar Comment 1 by InfuriatedSciTeacher

Remind me never to read the comments section of USA Today again.. the ignorance is giving me a headache.
I wonder if the author of this article considered what impact the stigma of the label atheist has on reporting£ Or that some of us disbelieve but still fall nicely into that "rationalist" category they discuss£

Tue, 22 Sep 2009 16:14:00 UTC | #399877

br0k3nglass's Avatar Comment 2 by br0k3nglass

It's interesting that the article mentions women tending to be more religious than men. My mother grew up in a secular household and had what she calls a "thirst" for religion. My sister is extremely religious. Two of my mothers brothers are only slightly religious (much less so than my mother). I, of course, have no faith whatsoever.

Tue, 22 Sep 2009 16:25:00 UTC | #399879

pnelnik's Avatar Comment 3 by pnelnik

There is the interesting statement that 33% of the 'none's claim Irish Ancestory, though only 10% of the US population do.

I presume this is at least partially caused by the exodus from the Catholic church following from the sex scandals and the recent leadership.

Tue, 22 Sep 2009 16:25:00 UTC | #399880

sara g's Avatar Comment 4 by sara g

Gah! I wasted my energy on about two pages of commentary before I escaped. They are too focused on the sound of their own voices to actually read what each other are saying.

Tue, 22 Sep 2009 16:26:00 UTC | #399881

mmmcheezy's Avatar Comment 5 by mmmcheezy

The comments got me, too. Ugh.

I'm proud of my Irish heritage ATM, though! :D

Tue, 22 Sep 2009 16:29:00 UTC | #399882

Vaal's Avatar Comment 6 by Vaal

How about us Jedi?

Tue, 22 Sep 2009 16:33:00 UTC | #399883

Sally Luxmoore's Avatar Comment 7 by Sally Luxmoore

They're a stew of agnostics, deists and rationalists

You can tell this is America.
Here in England this would be a chicken tikka masala - our national dish, according to some polls - (so must be right).

Tue, 22 Sep 2009 16:39:00 UTC | #399887

bentleyd's Avatar Comment 8 by bentleyd

Nones are not a fringe group anymore and are now part of Middle America. They're present in every socio-demographic group, Keysar concludes in their report.

Good news! Maybe more rational thinkers will come out of the closet and/or be willing to speak up as they realize they're more accepted in society.

Tue, 22 Sep 2009 16:48:00 UTC | #399893

sara g's Avatar Comment 9 by sara g

The exodus from the Catholic church predates the publicity of the sex scandals. There are plenty of valid theological reasons why sensible Catholics grow up to be sensible atheists.

I reread that and realized it was begging correction regarding "Catholic children." What I actually intended was a snotty remark about the maturity of the faithful.

Tue, 22 Sep 2009 16:52:00 UTC | #399894

Border Collie's Avatar Comment 10 by Border Collie

A lot of stats about nada.

Tue, 22 Sep 2009 17:10:00 UTC | #399903

Mr DArcy's Avatar Comment 11 by Mr DArcy

As usual, Shakespeare put it pretty well:

"Get thee to a nonery"!

Tue, 22 Sep 2009 17:26:00 UTC | #399911

Hominidae's Avatar Comment 12 by Hominidae

The evolutionists still have no foundation. First cause please.

Yep. That sums it up well on how the creationist and/or IDs view evolution.

SIGH

Tue, 22 Sep 2009 17:29:00 UTC | #399912

mlgatheist's Avatar Comment 13 by mlgatheist

If the title of this is correct, what about the other artircle.

"A nightmare for Richard Dawkins: statistics show that atheists are a dying breed"

Since anyone who lives their life without a belief that there are any gods is an Atheist and anyone who has a belief in a god is religious (not necessarily a member of an organized religion). The concept of god or gods is a religious concept. It would look like the two articles might be contradictory.

From my personal experiences, it does look like the religious are out breeding those of us who are non-religious.

Tue, 22 Sep 2009 17:33:00 UTC | #399913

Luis Dias's Avatar Comment 14 by Luis Dias

If the title of this is correct, what about the other artircle.

The other article was made-up-shit from a pundit wannabe, that thinks that his own head is capable of reproducing empirical equiries, i.e., science.

Tue, 22 Sep 2009 17:38:00 UTC | #399917

russkid's Avatar Comment 15 by russkid

Your national dish is Fish&Chips.

Tue, 22 Sep 2009 17:45:00 UTC | #399920

Sally Luxmoore's Avatar Comment 16 by Sally Luxmoore

Russkid.

You are 30 / 40 years out of date. I could put it another way - you are PRE Selfish Gene.

Tue, 22 Sep 2009 17:48:00 UTC | #399921

russkid's Avatar Comment 17 by russkid

Russkid.

I have a degree in culinary arts with study in international and regional cuisine .. so your national dish is Fish&Chips.

Tue, 22 Sep 2009 17:52:00 UTC | #399922

God fearing Atheist's Avatar Comment 18 by God fearing Atheist

15. Comment #418077 by russkid

Your national dish is Fish&Chips.

"National" or "Most popular"? Sally is right. According to a poll (??) TKM is the most popular disk. F&C is fading. In some cities it is hard to find a F&C shop, even the few left sell many kinds of fast food, and some other types of fast food outlets sell F&C. F&C from a Turkish Kebab shop is just not "Traditional".

Tue, 22 Sep 2009 17:53:00 UTC | #399923

liberalartist's Avatar Comment 19 by liberalartist

America could use more rational people. Maybe that will lead to crazy things like rational congress members and sensible laws that don't employ wishful thinking and religious intolerance. I'm hopeful.

Also, what's with the lower percentage of female nones? I guess I am just odd!

Tue, 22 Sep 2009 17:55:00 UTC | #399924

russkid's Avatar Comment 20 by russkid

Unfortunately, the matter is decided upon by culinary professionals and not polls. In other words its a dictatorship and not a democracy.

Tue, 22 Sep 2009 17:59:00 UTC | #399927

Sally Luxmoore's Avatar Comment 21 by Sally Luxmoore

Russkid

Would it help if I told you that I do still like F&C? (Must have vinegar on it, though. That's proper malt vinegar).

To make you feel better, British men all wear bowler hats, London is plagued with 'pea-soupers' (another national dish) and Dick Van Dyke's mockney accent is 100% authentic. OK?

Tue, 22 Sep 2009 18:00:00 UTC | #399928

russkid's Avatar Comment 22 by russkid

Hey, who doesnt like fried fish and french fries. It could be worse, they could have decided that your national dish was yorkshire pudding or sheppards pie. EDITED to say that you rarely see the traditional maltvin and are more likely to see a chipoltle mayo or even somthing resembling tartar sauce here in the US.

Tue, 22 Sep 2009 18:03:00 UTC | #399931

Sally Luxmoore's Avatar Comment 23 by Sally Luxmoore

French Fries?!!!

The word is CHIPS.

Huh.

EDIT - And what's wrong with shepherd's pie?

Tue, 22 Sep 2009 18:09:00 UTC | #399935

russkid's Avatar Comment 24 by russkid

Pomme Frites...

Tue, 22 Sep 2009 18:11:00 UTC | #399936

refuteist's Avatar Comment 25 by refuteist

Hey aren't we short of evidence on this off-topic food dispute. Far be it from us to take anything on faith or national stereotype.

That Infamous person "survey" has established that Chinese stir fry is the winner see :

Besides which due to overfishing our F&C are now barely affordable!

Tue, 22 Sep 2009 18:14:00 UTC | #399937

Sally Luxmoore's Avatar Comment 26 by Sally Luxmoore

This is all too much for me - I'm giving in to hunger. Off to the kitchen...
You lot sort this out before I get back, OK?

Tue, 22 Sep 2009 18:18:00 UTC | #399939

Koreman's Avatar Comment 27 by Koreman

Most people believe in just one niche branch of fairytales and strongly reject countless others. This leads to the question why 'one' over 'none' is more important for so many religious people.

To me it seems to be an inner struggle with common sense. Religious people of any kind share something that is completely rejected by the 'nones' who don't believe in invisible unexplainable things that become visible and explainable when you just accept these things to be real. Without a sight, evidence and without a critical mind.

Make-believe is far more convenient without being scrutinized for actually accepting make-believe fairy-tales with wizards, zombies, ghosts and hollow promises, with only anecdotes and biased opinions to support the claims. But then again, religious people use the very same arguments for not accepting any other religion than just theirs. I dare to say that the number of 'nones' is quite higher than 15%.

Tue, 22 Sep 2009 18:25:00 UTC | #399940

God fearing Atheist's Avatar Comment 28 by God fearing Atheist

... and the F&C have to be deep fried in beef fat. None of this namby-pamby vegetable oil.

Tue, 22 Sep 2009 18:29:00 UTC | #399941

robotaholic's Avatar Comment 29 by robotaholic

liberalartist

You're not odd! You're just obviously more thoughtful.

Tue, 22 Sep 2009 18:48:00 UTC | #399947

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 30 by mordacious1

Certainly the key here, is that the "nones" are not dragging their little bastards to church, so that when the brats get older they won't necessarily believe (through guilt) in a supreme being.

Tue, 22 Sep 2009 18:51:00 UTC | #399948