← WHAT IS A RAINBOW REALLY?

WHAT IS A RAINBOW REALLY? - Comments

helen sotiriadis's Avatar Comment 1 by helen sotiriadis

waiting with anticipation... whatever the title.

Mon, 26 Oct 2009 17:44:00 UTC | #408694

alessamendes's Avatar Comment 2 by alessamendes

Great news ! ! ! Can't wait to find out more.

Mon, 26 Oct 2009 17:46:00 UTC | #408696

fossil-fish's Avatar Comment 3 by fossil-fish

Young adults, children, whatever. I will read it to my grandchildren. I read to them any how and pictures are always good.

2011 just seems an awful long way away.

Mon, 26 Oct 2009 17:51:00 UTC | #408701

cauri's Avatar Comment 4 by cauri

can't wait.

Mon, 26 Oct 2009 18:09:00 UTC | #408712

Sciros's Avatar Comment 5 by Sciros

A rainbow is the Judeo-Christian god's promise to never again try to kill lots of stuff with a global flood. (He didn't make any promises about volcanoes or meteors or diseases... or aliens.) Presumably before the Great Flood there were no rainbows and water droplets in the air were incapable of refracting light. Or didn't feel like it.

Mon, 26 Oct 2009 18:25:00 UTC | #408721

eh-theist's Avatar Comment 6 by eh-theist

Kind of seems pointless to release a book in 2011 - a year or so before the world ends - to a population who will never reach adulthood.

(Just kidding. I just was hoping Richard would speed up the publication so we can have fewer people believing in crazy sh!t like that.)

Mon, 26 Oct 2009 18:38:00 UTC | #408734

Enlightenme..'s Avatar Comment 8 by Enlightenme..

"Presumably before the Great Flood there were no rainbows and water droplets in the air were incapable of refracting light. Or didn't feel like it."

You silly thing, don't you remember there was a fukload of water suspended in the Heavens before the flood, how would the Sunlight get through to be refracted in the first place? And anyway, there wouldn't be any water droplets in the air 'cos it musta been f'kin brass monkeys.

Mon, 26 Oct 2009 18:48:00 UTC | #408743

Mitch Kahle's Avatar Comment 7 by Mitch Kahle

For those who can't wait for RD's new book, here's an excellent presentation...

Mon, 26 Oct 2009 18:48:00 UTC | #408742

Mitch Kahle's Avatar Comment 9 by Mitch Kahle

And this one for adults...

Mon, 26 Oct 2009 18:50:00 UTC | #408745

sara g's Avatar Comment 11 by sara g

2011? My son will be grown up by then. I guess I'll have to buy it for me.

Mon, 26 Oct 2009 19:20:00 UTC | #408760

Fuzzy Duck's Avatar Comment 12 by Fuzzy Duck

I hope Dawkins comes to the Minnesota for that book tour. Not to sound too selfish, but I've barely missed the chance to see Dawkins three times in the last year!

Looking forward to the book.

Mon, 26 Oct 2009 22:36:00 UTC | #408859

scarecroe's Avatar Comment 13 by scarecroe

As the father of a nine year old girl, I have been looking forward to this since the first murmurs a while ago. Dawkins' letter to his daughter as printed in The Devil's Chaplain is one of the best things I've ever read. I can't wait to get this.

Mon, 26 Oct 2009 22:42:00 UTC | #408864

irishpaisa's Avatar Comment 14 by irishpaisa

Huge Fan, I am an aspiring dawkins, promoting the good cause and changing my career to teach science..... all because of your inspiration... keep it up, you and everyone

Mon, 26 Oct 2009 22:58:00 UTC | #408868

InYourFaceNewYorker's Avatar Comment 15 by InYourFaceNewYorker

Can't wait to read it!!

Tue, 27 Oct 2009 00:25:00 UTC | #408896

Akaei's Avatar Comment 16 by Akaei

This book has the potential to be the professor's greatest contribution to mankind. As a popularizer of science and advocate of reason Richard has already done more good than I can reasonably hope to. But the hope of inoculating future generations against superstition, indoctrination and ideology cannot be over-valued.

I hope it includes a Baloney Detection Kit for kids.

Tue, 27 Oct 2009 01:45:00 UTC | #408911

FuerstOpus's Avatar Comment 17 by FuerstOpus

While recently looking for science books for my 5 year-old, we were shocked at the dearth of good material, while there are plenty of religious books out there.

We anxiously await Prof. Dawkins' next release.

Tue, 27 Oct 2009 04:37:00 UTC | #408927

weavehole's Avatar Comment 18 by weavehole

I hope there's a section on the Milky Way and it's various creation myths. Particularly the Hera/Heracles double-act and Atun (Apsu??) and his glorious act of onanism.

You've got to love the genius of the human imagination sometimes.

[Pictures optional]

Tue, 27 Oct 2009 07:26:00 UTC | #408939

andersemil's Avatar Comment 19 by andersemil

This book is definitely going to be under the xmas tree in 2011 for each of my nephew and nieces. What a splendid idea.

Tue, 27 Oct 2009 08:02:00 UTC | #408945

Sally Luxmoore's Avatar Comment 20 by Sally Luxmoore

Comment #427193 by FuerstOpus

looking for science books for my 5 year-old

As a former Teacher (10 years at the chalkface), may I recommend the Dorling Kindersley Eyewitness Guides series? I always enjoyed them myself - never mind the children! The quality of the pictures and the layout are excellent.
DK also do non fiction books aimed at younger children. They even do board books for babies...

(No - I do not receive a commission, though maybe I should!)

Edit: An interactive link.

Tue, 27 Oct 2009 13:02:00 UTC | #408998

Tyler Durden's Avatar Comment 21 by Tyler Durden

Comment #427193 by FuerstOpus

We anxiously await Prof. Dawkins' next release.
Perhaps the creationists would better understand such a book, they seem to have trouble with the rest of Richard's work.

Tue, 27 Oct 2009 14:25:00 UTC | #409018

PERSON's Avatar Comment 22 by PERSON

"17. Comment #427193 by FuerstOpus on October 27, 2009 at 4:37 am "
Uneversaurus is a nice book, though (in a way) sadly slightly inaccurate, now. A young relative of mine liked the copy of "George's Secret Key to the Universe" I got for him. He says he read it six times.

Tue, 27 Oct 2009 15:23:00 UTC | #409029

algomez's Avatar Comment 23 by algomez

Mr Dawkins should get the Nobel Prize. Spreading critical thinking generates peace, not war.

Tue, 27 Oct 2009 20:58:00 UTC | #409145

DrawingYou's Avatar Comment 24 by DrawingYou

It's coming out sooner than I thought. Nice.

Wed, 28 Oct 2009 02:08:00 UTC | #409228

hadespussercats's Avatar Comment 25 by hadespussercats

With Dave McKean? My other hero?
Ah! I'm practically peeing my pants. ...

er, i mean, i'm looking forward to the publication of this book with avid, but entirely seemly, interest.

(but the title needs work.)

Wed, 28 Oct 2009 04:27:00 UTC | #409243

SaganTheCat's Avatar Comment 26 by SaganTheCat

Tyler

yes, he has quite clearly stated it is a book for children and includes pictures

seriously though, this could be a bigger pain the creationists arse than any other of Richard's books. Religion is taught to children through nice pictures. Children's tracts are presented in cartoons and comics. they don't convert adults but then if creationism relied on the beliefs of converted adults it wouldn't be a worry but it relies on arrested development of childhood beliefs

I used to be in a band with a creationist and he was a nice guy and very talented but it was sad how he was clearly mentally challanged and exploited by his parents/church. such people can only be reached through pretty pictures and as a young adult I think he was beyond enlightenment. It sounds rather cynical and jesuit like but we do need to get them while they're young.

just wait for the backlash... claims of childhood indoctrination by those who know best

Wed, 28 Oct 2009 13:22:00 UTC | #409323

Librarian's Avatar Comment 27 by Librarian

I am so glad to hear this! I'll be buying it for my Middle School library. Middle school students are so interested in science.

Thu, 29 Oct 2009 01:03:00 UTC | #409519

RichardofYork's Avatar Comment 28 by RichardofYork

When will I be able to stop thanking this Dawkins bloke?

Fri, 30 Oct 2009 02:25:00 UTC | #409881

TCM's Avatar Comment 29 by TCM

Doesn't surprise me about the science books, but..... religious books for 5 year olds? WTF?!

Sun, 01 Nov 2009 16:10:00 UTC | #410409

Akaei's Avatar Comment 30 by Akaei

@TCM Comment #428706

One of my favorite books from around the age of four or five worked on the theme: god put the animals where they fit best. I just liked the animals. It didn't occur to me until recently it was creationist propaganda. My own daughter has a picture book about jesus walking on water. (thanks, grandma) She pointed out to me people can't really walk on water.

Rather than trying to postpone exposure by shielding her from these dangerous memes I think inoculation is the way to go. If she is exposed to mythologies as mythologies rather than exalted religions, she will be less susceptible to recruitment and indoctrination. Specific inoculation against the big three plus the more common cults and reincarnation may or may not be effective but in combination with healthy skepticism and critical thinking I hope she will be able to recognize (and appreciate) fiction for what it is.

Mon, 02 Nov 2009 00:05:00 UTC | #410509