← Fossil hunter finds 140-million-year-old spider's web

Fossil hunter finds 140-million-year-old spider's web - Comments

fossil-fish's Avatar Comment 1 by fossil-fish

I looked very hard for fish hooks but couldn't find any.

An amazing discovery. Fascinating.

Mon, 02 Nov 2009 18:19:00 UTC | #410665

Flapjack's Avatar Comment 2 by Flapjack

Surely you'd need a thicker thread to catch Iguanadons and Allosauruses?
[Sorry, ignore that last paleontology based comment... it's been carbon dated by experts and belongs to the Cretinous period!]

Mon, 02 Nov 2009 18:20:00 UTC | #410666

Linda Ward Selbie's Avatar Comment 3 by Linda Ward Selbie

I was surprised to learn about the geological diversity of the little island of Britain. Last week's In Our Time podcast on 'The Geological Formation of Britain' is particularly interesting on the subject.

Around six hundred million years ago, the island that we now call Britain was in two parts, far to the south of the Equator. Scotland – and north-western Ireland – were part of a continent (Laurentia) that also included what is now North America. To the south-east, near the Antarctic Circle, meanwhile, you would have found Southern Ireland, England and Wales. They formed a mini-continent (Avalonia) with what is now Newfoundland.

Mon, 02 Nov 2009 18:33:00 UTC | #410673

aoratos philos's Avatar Comment 4 by aoratos philos

140 million year old fossil... Gimmie a break!
Any Fundie knows that the world is less than 10k years old! ;)

Mon, 02 Nov 2009 19:08:00 UTC | #410688

TIKI AL's Avatar Comment 5 by TIKI AL

I like the new Rorschach feature at RD.net.

I see a long extinct one eyed human skull and the earliest known candy lifesaver.

Mon, 02 Nov 2009 19:24:00 UTC | #410701

NewEnglandBob's Avatar Comment 6 by NewEnglandBob

Charlotte? Is that you?
- Wilber

Mon, 02 Nov 2009 21:40:00 UTC | #410765

InYourFaceNewYorker's Avatar Comment 7 by InYourFaceNewYorker

Damn, interesting article! :D

Mon, 02 Nov 2009 21:46:00 UTC | #410768

Crazycharlie's Avatar Comment 8 by Crazycharlie

It's the handiwork of the Devil. He's trying to tangle us into his evil web of deceit.

Mon, 02 Nov 2009 23:20:00 UTC | #410808

flistr8's Avatar Comment 9 by flistr8

I think someone hacked my dentist's office and posted my recent x-rays. But seriously, it's the Devil's handiwork.

Tue, 03 Nov 2009 03:10:00 UTC | #410850

Thomas Byrne's Avatar Comment 10 by Thomas Byrne

This backs up Haran Yahya's claim that creatures don't evolve and have remained, as Allah created them, for all of time.

[sarcasm]

Tue, 03 Nov 2009 11:38:00 UTC | #410913

1town's Avatar Comment 11 by 1town

Give me a call when they extract dinosaur DNA from something in amber.

Tue, 03 Nov 2009 11:52:00 UTC | #410916

corvis_9's Avatar Comment 12 by corvis_9

Nice article, except for that last sentence.

No, damn it, not everything needs to be sexed up with a movie reference.

Freaking editorial insertions.

Tue, 03 Nov 2009 14:14:00 UTC | #410936

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 13 by mordacious1

What was this scientist doing in my garage?

Tue, 03 Nov 2009 16:03:00 UTC | #410951

Jake Sigren's Avatar Comment 14 by Jake Sigren

This article got me a bit curious about arachnid phylogeny and evolution. Apparently arachnids in general have been around for about 500 million years and spiders have been around for at least 345 million years. Anyways, this got me curious as to what a fossilized spider looked like and I found this image:

pretty cool but then I looked at the caption of the picture on the site I found it on...

A fossil of a giant tarantula spider about 18 inches long has been discovered. We believe that this Pre-Flood tarantula spider was buried under tons of rock, and instantly fossilised at Noah's Flood, 4,400 years ago.

...completely ruined my day lol...

Tue, 03 Nov 2009 22:17:00 UTC | #411033

scottishgeologist's Avatar Comment 15 by scottishgeologist

Jake

Cool pic! But that site its on .... sigh.....

And it gets worse - if you follow it through, you will find this page:

Which gives us:

"Our main resource on Creation is Dr. Kent Hovind who is, in our view, the world expert on Creation:"

and

"We thoroughly recommend Dr Kent Hovind's books, videos and DVD's, which are inexpensive, and of excellent quality."

No more needs to be said. It starts to get embarasssing after a point!

Cheers!

:-)))))
SG

Thu, 05 Nov 2009 14:32:00 UTC | #411362

Ardiem's Avatar Comment 16 by Ardiem

I skipped most of the drivel on that page but noticed the $250,000 reward at the bottom of the page that Hovind is offering for 'proving' evolution.

Anyone know why the offer hasn't been taken up? It can't be that hard to explain assuming the thesis is judged by an impartial adjudicator? Hell, just give them Richard's TGSOE and have the cash go towards the next bus advert fund.

Thu, 05 Nov 2009 16:20:00 UTC | #411385