← Hey, preacher – leave those kids alone

Hey, preacher – leave those kids alone - Comments

MarcCountry's Avatar Comment 1 by MarcCountry

When I read the "Hey Preacher, leave those kids alone" headline, I thought this was going to be another story about Catholic child rape. I'm pleased it's not.

Wed, 18 Nov 2009 16:17:00 UTC | #414468

Friend Giskard's Avatar Comment 2 by Friend Giskard

I don't see anything about Jews.

Wed, 18 Nov 2009 16:29:00 UTC | #414470

Friend Giskard's Avatar Comment 3 by Friend Giskard

It's a shame that the important word 'muslim' is partly obscured by that grinning libertarian socialist on the left of the picture.

Wed, 18 Nov 2009 16:42:00 UTC | #414479

infidel_michael's Avatar Comment 4 by infidel_michael

The religious know if they don't brainwash their children, they'll not decide to be religious when they grow up. That's why this will not work, or even worse, it will have the opposite effect than intended.

Wed, 18 Nov 2009 17:00:00 UTC | #414493

debaser71's Avatar Comment 5 by debaser71

My children were born atheists and have remained so. Why put atheist in the ad?

Wed, 18 Nov 2009 17:23:00 UTC | #414505

Follow Peter Egan's Avatar Comment 6 by Follow Peter Egan

As a faith school survivor, I heartily endorse the sentiments being expressed in this campaign.

Wed, 18 Nov 2009 17:24:00 UTC | #414506

Mark Jones's Avatar Comment 7 by Mark Jones

Listening to In Our Time the other week on the Munster Rebellion reminded me that some sects believe in 'Believer's Baptism' ; it would be nice if society can advance to the stage where this is the only type of baptism allowed.

I've recently had the experience of a Catholic saying "It will go much easier on the day of judgment for those who never had the gift of the Faith than for those who had it and lost it." So because my parents baptised me Catholic as a baby, the consequences for me will be worse! Nice.

Wed, 18 Nov 2009 17:29:00 UTC | #414510

ods15's Avatar Comment 8 by ods15

What a wonderful slogan!
I totally endorse this. great :)

Wed, 18 Nov 2009 17:59:00 UTC | #414519

mikey nails!'s Avatar Comment 9 by mikey nails!

I'm with you, debaser71. My kids were also born atheist, and remain so.

I often wonder if my mother-in-law had my son secretly baptized. Wooo!

Wed, 18 Nov 2009 18:08:00 UTC | #414523

TIKI AL's Avatar Comment 10 by TIKI AL

To label children is just plain wrong.

How many times did Mr and Mrs Dahmer regret trying to break the ice by being "funny" at their newborn's baptismal party?

"And this is our sweet little future serial killer and cannibal, Jeffrey."

Wed, 18 Nov 2009 18:25:00 UTC | #414531

InYourFaceNewYorker's Avatar Comment 11 by InYourFaceNewYorker

Awesome. I hope we get it here in NYC too.

Wed, 18 Nov 2009 18:31:00 UTC | #414534

Enlightenme..'s Avatar Comment 12 by Enlightenme..

One of the most harrowing things seen in Britain over the last twenty years was the terrified children running the gauntlet of adult haters just to get to school. (Belfast 2001)

The haters then were my Protestant brethren.

The whole of Ireland ('our' lot and the other lot) seems now to be secularising rapidly.

But in England we seem to want a return to sectarianised education.

WHY?

Wed, 18 Nov 2009 18:34:00 UTC | #414537

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 13 by mordacious1

I still think that a billboard on the road to the airport stating:

You Have Every Right to be Afraid,
There is NO Afterlife.

would get people's attention more.:)

Wed, 18 Nov 2009 18:36:00 UTC | #414538

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 14 by mordacious1

Is "Anarchist Child" a real issue in the UK?

Also, if they had gone with "Hey Preacher-Leave Those Kids Alone", it would be a stronger statement and the song would stick in one's head all day. *tries to sing competing song to remove imbedded tune*.

Wed, 18 Nov 2009 18:48:00 UTC | #414544

Enlightenme..'s Avatar Comment 15 by Enlightenme..

"I still think that a billboard on the road to the airport"..

Having enjoyed some 13,000 flights, I can assure you that I'm far more likely to 'meet my maker' during the commute than while aviating.

-----

"Is "Anarchist Child" a real issue in the UK?"

Well there were a few babies with safety pins in their ears in the late seventies!

Wed, 18 Nov 2009 18:50:00 UTC | #414546

God fearing Atheist's Avatar Comment 16 by God fearing Atheist

14. Comment #432931 by mordacious1
Is "Anarchist Child" a real issue in the UK?
Only at bedtime.

Wed, 18 Nov 2009 18:58:00 UTC | #414548

Ivan The Not So Bad's Avatar Comment 17 by Ivan The Not So Bad

This is being debated by the Richard Bacon show on BBC Radio 5Live tonight after 22.30 GMT.

The show takes calls, texts and e-mails so it would be rude not to wouldn't it?

Being radio, it should be avaiable outside the UK on the iPlayer, via the "listen live" feature on the 5Live webpage or on Windows Media Player.

Good hunting.

Wed, 18 Nov 2009 19:05:00 UTC | #414553

belacaleb's Avatar Comment 18 by belacaleb

I'm hoping this will be available in a bumper-sticker.

Wed, 18 Nov 2009 19:15:00 UTC | #414558

bitbutter's Avatar Comment 19 by bitbutter

mordacious1

Is "Anarchist Child" a real issue in the UK?

I don't follow the question.

Wed, 18 Nov 2009 19:23:00 UTC | #414564

faps's Avatar Comment 20 by faps

I want to grow up to be an anarchist child

Wed, 18 Nov 2009 19:24:00 UTC | #414565

scottishgeologist's Avatar Comment 21 by scottishgeologist

Interesting. Just last night I read a chapter from an e-book by Mark Driscoll. MD is the pastor of Mars Hill Church in Seattle and one of the up and coming "cool calvinist" "emerging church" leaders.

He has been accused of homophobia and misogyny. I would add child abuse to his list:-

In the ebook:

He says:

"I am the very happy father of two beautiful daughters and three sons. In our home there will be courtship. Any male wanting to spend time
pursuing my daughters will do so only with my approval, under my oversight, by my rules, and most often in my home."

"So at our home my daughters will be courted. My sons will court by respectfully pursuing their future wives in the context of honoring their families, particularly the women’s fathers."

Driscoll is not the worst of the evangie "controlling" types. He tries to protray himself as a modernising, hip, cool sort of guy

But scarily influential.

Oh yeah,BTW, Wee Flea did an interview with him a couple of years ago.....

(Its all in there.....)

:-)))))
SG

Wed, 18 Nov 2009 19:35:00 UTC | #414572

Dark Matter's Avatar Comment 22 by Dark Matter

I like it. Let's roll it out for X-Mass.

Wed, 18 Nov 2009 20:02:00 UTC | #414580

JemyM's Avatar Comment 23 by JemyM

Religions work as a virtual racism. "Apartheid" is the best word I can come up with concerning the segregation religions put on children.

Wed, 18 Nov 2009 20:06:00 UTC | #414584

Eric Blair's Avatar Comment 24 by Eric Blair

Debaser: My children were born atheists and have remained so. Why put atheist in the ad?

I think "agnostic" is the only label (if ever used) that is accurate enough to not be included. If kids aren't mature enough to declare their beliefs, they aren't old enough to declare that they don't believe, either.

EB

Wed, 18 Nov 2009 20:26:00 UTC | #414589

Duff's Avatar Comment 25 by Duff

What former believer can help being smug when they consider where they once were and where they have arrived?

I happen to be proud of my smugness, and thoroughly enjoy getting in the face of the simple people.

Wed, 18 Nov 2009 20:30:00 UTC | #414591

MarcCountry's Avatar Comment 26 by MarcCountry

The second comment on this thread makes an excellent observation.

Why is it that calling out the use of "Jewish child" was deemed taboo? Are we atheists supposed to play along with the nonsense notion that 'Jews' are a 'race' (whatever 'race' supposedly is)?

Wed, 18 Nov 2009 20:51:00 UTC | #414596

black wolf's Avatar Comment 27 by black wolf

Here's a comment from the article page I found interesting and, from a foreigner's viewpoint, not just a little horrifying:

It's not just faith schools that are an issue. My child goes to a secular school where the new Head wants to have the local C of E minister in to preach to them every week. Her defence is that it is the statutory duty of the school to provide a daily act of collective worship. This is a quote from teachernet:
"The head teacher is responsible (under the School Standards and Framework Act 1998) for arranging the daily collective worship after consulting with the governing body. Daily collective worship must be wholly or mainly of a broadly Christian character. The precise nature will depend on the family background, ages and abilities of the pupils. However, if it is inappropriate for some or all of the pupils to take part in Christian collective worship, the head teacher may apply to the local Standing Advisory Council on Religious Education (SACRE) for a determination to have this requirement lifted."

That's right folks, It's the law that our children are indoctrinated unless we opt out. So much for a secular society.

Now if you want to start a campaign about religion in schools, surely getting this piece of nonsense off the statute books is the place to start. Make this your next campaign and I am in.

(bold my emphasis)

Wed, 18 Nov 2009 20:51:00 UTC | #414597

mandelstam's Avatar Comment 28 by mandelstam

Of course you know that the Jesuits' aphorism:

"give me the child until 7 and I will give you the man"

is paraphrased in their secret black book (for jesuitical clarity, it says) as:

"We'll never get a grown up to believe this shit".....

Wed, 18 Nov 2009 20:52:00 UTC | #414598

debaser71's Avatar Comment 29 by debaser71

I can only assume that the terms agnostic and atheist have been discussed here already. I have no inclination to get into that other than to say atheism means without theism. All children are born without theism.

Wed, 18 Nov 2009 20:59:00 UTC | #414602

Sally Luxmoore's Avatar Comment 30 by Sally Luxmoore

This is right and good, but sadly will be a very uphill struggle...

If the Tories get in at the next election, I think it will get even worse - 'faith groups' will fit nicely into their nutty ideas about teachers and parents starting their own schools. This is reason enough (if you needed one) to vote for whichever party in your constituency that will keep the Tories out...

Wed, 18 Nov 2009 21:20:00 UTC | #414611