← Irish Church accused of abuse cover-up

Irish Church accused of abuse cover-up - Comments

Prankster's Avatar Comment 1 by Prankster

Bastards......

Thu, 26 Nov 2009 21:41:00 UTC | #417147

wthorlay's Avatar Comment 2 by wthorlay

This is a continuum process. It happens everywhere. It's just a matter of investigating.

Thu, 26 Nov 2009 21:45:00 UTC | #417150

Sally Luxmoore's Avatar Comment 3 by Sally Luxmoore

This should not be allowed to die down.

The catholic church is a wholly discredited organisation. It should be bankrupted in order to pay for these crimes and many others.

Thu, 26 Nov 2009 21:52:00 UTC | #417154

Cowcakes's Avatar Comment 4 by Cowcakes

Well I unfortunately cannot feign shock and surprise. After all as shown in leaked Vatican documents signed off by the creature that we now know as the Nazi Pope it was and is official Vatican policy. Pity the Vatican doesn't have oil, then everyone would be happy to invade and overthrow their monstrous regime.

Thu, 26 Nov 2009 21:55:00 UTC | #417156

Ivan The Not So Bad's Avatar Comment 5 by Ivan The Not So Bad

Other links from The Times and Independent:

Monstrous.

Thu, 26 Nov 2009 22:09:00 UTC | #417161

j.mills's Avatar Comment 6 by j.mills

At least the apology is less mealy-mouthed than usual. The clear condemnation of the archbishops is refreshing too.

Throughout the evening the Radio 4 news bulletin has said that this report "accused" the church of abuse. Delighted to say that by 10pm they had rephrased this - "report has revealed abuses..."

Thu, 26 Nov 2009 22:12:00 UTC | #417162

Ivan The Not So Bad's Avatar Comment 7 by Ivan The Not So Bad

Oh, and in the meantime, they carry on thinking they can tell us how to live our lives and conduct our relationships:

What kind of utter shit is that?

Thu, 26 Nov 2009 22:13:00 UTC | #417164

j.mills's Avatar Comment 8 by j.mills

You're just full of cheery links, ain'cha, Ivan? "... it calls contraceptive practices "objectively wrong"..." What could that even mean??

I offer some unspeak for the church to hide behind: it's not abuse, it's just 'clerical errors'...

Thu, 26 Nov 2009 22:29:00 UTC | #417169

Sandra S's Avatar Comment 9 by Sandra S

I wish I could say I'm shocked, but I'm not. Appalled and disgusted, yes, but not exactly surprised. And the authorities helping to cover it up? I find myself in utter lack of words to describe this kind of wickedness. We're talking about children here, this is pratically something that will haunt their dreams for the rest of their lives. Despite that the most important thing is the reputation of the church? Disgusting.

Clearly the superior morals of the church are working out great.

Thu, 26 Nov 2009 22:34:00 UTC | #417176

Ivan The Not So Bad's Avatar Comment 10 by Ivan The Not So Bad

8. Comment #435585 by j.mills

One always does one's best to bring joy (in a manner of speaking).

This was my "favourite" bit:

"To oppose the legal recognition of same-sex unions is not discriminatory." WTF?

Thu, 26 Nov 2009 22:42:00 UTC | #417179

robotaholic's Avatar Comment 11 by robotaholic

fornication lives in the soul of christ-

Thu, 26 Nov 2009 22:45:00 UTC | #417181

Follow Peter Egan's Avatar Comment 12 by Follow Peter Egan

Makes me feel physically sick. I experienced plenty of physical abuse by priests as part of my "education". Perhaps I ought to be grateful that I got away with it lightly.

I'd figured out they were utter shites by the time I was seven.

Thu, 26 Nov 2009 22:47:00 UTC | #417183

Sally Luxmoore's Avatar Comment 14 by Sally Luxmoore

It was not just sexual abuse.

I am watching this at the moment - it is unbearably sad.
It's a documentary in English about the abuses of the Catholic Church in Ireland.
Sex in a cold climate:

Thu, 26 Nov 2009 23:16:00 UTC | #417191

glenister_m's Avatar Comment 13 by glenister_m

Unfortunate that this all comes out after 3 of the 4 had died...or should I say 'convenient'. I wonder if any of the 4 had been abusers themselves.

Reminds me of Lynn Johnson's story (she's the cartoonist who created 'For Better or For Worse' in North American newspapers, which also tackled issues like a family dealing with their son coming out) with her church. She was putting on her robe, and a senior member of the church came up behind her and to everyone else it 'appeared he was helping on her on with her robe' when actually he was taking advantage of the situation to feel her up. Unfortunately instead of calling him out or slapping him, she remained silent and just quit the church.

I think South Park's portrayal of the Catholic Church is pretty accurate (other than the giant spider and aliens).

Thu, 26 Nov 2009 23:16:00 UTC | #417189

Flapjack's Avatar Comment 15 by Flapjack

In other news, the Pope is still Catholic.

Thu, 26 Nov 2009 23:18:00 UTC | #417192

A's Avatar Comment 16 by A

The torturing and fucking of little children.

By the Catholic Church.

Nothing new.

Thu, 26 Nov 2009 23:19:00 UTC | #417193

Drosera's Avatar Comment 17 by Drosera

Isn't this proof that they don't believe in a god who will pass judgement?

Only the sheep believe in god. The shepherds and their dogs don't.

Thu, 26 Nov 2009 23:22:00 UTC | #417194

Sandra S's Avatar Comment 18 by Sandra S

14. Comment #435607 by Sally Luxmoore

Disgusting, I'm practically in tears now. And to think that some would argue that the church is a force for good in the world because they occasionally donate a tiny slice of a fortune large enough to buy half of Scandinavia.

All that guilt and repression...

Thu, 26 Nov 2009 23:34:00 UTC | #417200

Godfree Gordon's Avatar Comment 19 by Godfree Gordon

Knock knock.
Who's there?
Its the police Herr Ratzinger. We are here to arrest you in the name of the law. You are the CEO of an organisation that covered up the rape of many children.
But I'm the Pope.
Oh? Well thats alright then, carry on.

Thu, 26 Nov 2009 23:34:00 UTC | #417201

Sally Luxmoore's Avatar Comment 20 by Sally Luxmoore

Comment #435616 by Sandra S

Yes, I watched it all with tears in my eyes.

Such terrible and totally unnecessary cruelty.

Thu, 26 Nov 2009 23:38:00 UTC | #417203

genetheory's Avatar Comment 21 by genetheory

As has been said before - can you imagine any other institution where not only was raping of children endemic amongst its members, but were protected from prosecution by the heads of that institution?

Unfortunately, where religion is concerned all bets are off!

How is it that the papers are not screaming the fact that the current pope was responsible for enacting the policy of Crimen Sollicitationis for many of those years! A policy of protecting the perpetrator and neglecting the victim...

Thu, 26 Nov 2009 23:45:00 UTC | #417206

Sally Luxmoore's Avatar Comment 22 by Sally Luxmoore

It's not just the rape, it's the total lack of love. To bring children up without any kind of warm and sustaining human relationship, even to discourage friendships and conversation, is wicked and inhuman. It causes lifelong damage.

Thu, 26 Nov 2009 23:49:00 UTC | #417207

Sandra S's Avatar Comment 23 by Sandra S

22. Comment #435624 by Sally Luxmoore

Despite being proven otherwise over and over I still find myself incapable of believing that human beings can be capable of being so wicked towards others, especially towards children. Clearly I'm just naive. The part around 30:00 - 32:00 is especially terrifying.

It all sounds like 1984 to me.

Fri, 27 Nov 2009 00:05:00 UTC | #417212

j.mills's Avatar Comment 24 by j.mills

genetheory asks:

Well yes. A paedophile ring. Oh, but this is a church, so these are aberrations - albeit systemic, endemic and epidemic aberrations...

We read herein of the catholic church having insured itself against compensation claims (it's hard to believe even as I type). Given that the evidence shows they knew about abuse and were hiding it at the time they took out the insurance, it would be gratifying to see the insurers refuse to pay up and sue the church for fraudulent dealings...

Fri, 27 Nov 2009 00:35:00 UTC | #417215

genetheory's Avatar Comment 25 by genetheory

23. Comment #435630 by Sandra S

I recommend you watch the Dispatches programme Saving Africa's Witch Children. It's hard to watch and I literally found myself crying through most of it. It's all too real indictment on what (brainwashed) human beings are capable of, especially to children.

The Panorama programme - Sex Crimes and the Vatican is also an eye opener. And the US documentary called Deliver Us From Evil is excellent. Particularly moving when the parents of abused children talk about the sheer sense of betrayal they feel and how their faith has been shattered.

Fri, 27 Nov 2009 00:38:00 UTC | #417217

DeusExNihilum's Avatar Comment 26 by DeusExNihilum

There will be a time in the future, some blessed time long after we're gone, when humanity will look back at the Catholic church and cannot help but weep at the horrors it visited upon our species.

They can try to hide their crimes, but we will uncover them, and unlike what they would want; We will never forget.

Fri, 27 Nov 2009 00:47:00 UTC | #417218

Sandra S's Avatar Comment 27 by Sandra S

25. Comment #435636 by genetheory

Yay, just what I wanted to do; spend the night crying. Oh well, guess I'll go see what Google Videos has to offer.

I did see Jesus Camp and that one was horrifying enough even though no one got physically abused in it. Just a whole lot of brainwashing.

Fri, 27 Nov 2009 01:00:00 UTC | #417219

jcob82's Avatar Comment 28 by jcob82

and they preach to us about morality claiming us atheists are immoral and they are the righteous and just because they believe in a god. If it wasn't for the overwhelming sadness I feel for their victims it would actually be funny.

Fri, 27 Nov 2009 01:12:00 UTC | #417223

Carl Sai Baba's Avatar Comment 29 by Carl Sai Baba

No matter how sick the act, there is always an excuse for it out there somewhere if you look hard enough.

And then when you figure out how much easier it is to ask Jesus to forgive you...

Fri, 27 Nov 2009 01:16:00 UTC | #417224

Enlightenme..'s Avatar Comment 30 by Enlightenme..

Only addressing the symptoms, and not the cause.

The Catholic church especially is never going to get to grips with this until it grows up and allows their clergy to have a normal healthy sexual life.

They should De-beatify St Augustine and do away completely with this poisonous belief that 'Original Sin' is expressed in lustful thoughts. (concupiscence)

WHAT THE FUCK DO THEY EXPECT TO HAPPEN?
AND IT WILL KEEP HAPPENING.

Fri, 27 Nov 2009 01:19:00 UTC | #417225