← UPDATED: Nine Lessons and Carols for Godless People

UPDATED: Nine Lessons and Carols for Godless People - Comments

KiwiInOz's Avatar Comment 1 by KiwiInOz

Is there a World Tour in the offing?

Thu, 03 Dec 2009 00:32:00 UTC | #419656

j.mills's Avatar Comment 2 by j.mills

Barry Cryer! Good to see one of the old guard speaking up. And Mark Steel's a larf. Sounds like a grand evening.

It seems to have come around quickly. I was hoping that video of last year's event would have turned up somewhere, but no sign. Maybe this year, what? (And preferably not just a shaky hand-held in the audience with crap sound...) Given the money Amnesty made for years through flogging DVDs of the Secret Policeman's Balls, a DVD of this event would surely be a popular addition to the RDF shop.

Thu, 03 Dec 2009 00:40:00 UTC | #419659

Alternative Carpark's Avatar Comment 3 by Alternative Carpark

An impressive lineup.
Barry Cryer, still going strong at 74.

Thu, 03 Dec 2009 01:03:00 UTC | #419668

DeusExNihilum's Avatar Comment 4 by DeusExNihilum

Come to Birmingham PLEEEAAAASSE! For the love of Science!

Thu, 03 Dec 2009 01:17:00 UTC | #419674

Sally Luxmoore's Avatar Comment 5 by Sally Luxmoore

This isn't fair - it clearly says SOLD OUT on the poster.
It's just tormenting us to tell us how great it's going to be without us being able to get tickets...
Any chance of a video being made? I'd buy one...

Edit- OK, just seen that this is an extra day. (But too expensive for me and two grown-up children, so PLEASE make a video!)

Thu, 03 Dec 2009 01:31:00 UTC | #419677

DocWebster's Avatar Comment 6 by DocWebster

I wish we could get Brian Cox and Richard Dawkins on a double bill here in the colonies. It would raise America's IQ at least 20 points when the plane landed.

Thu, 03 Dec 2009 04:01:00 UTC | #419698

AshtonBlack's Avatar Comment 7 by AshtonBlack

Please make a DVD of this.... I'd buy it. (Or just release on YouTube ;)

Thu, 03 Dec 2009 06:33:00 UTC | #419725

beanson's Avatar Comment 8 by beanson

Heard Robin Ince do his 'comedy' atheist skit on Loose Ends t'other day. I have to report that neither I nor the round table audience laughed (audibly) once.
I'd pay to see Barry Cryer though

Thu, 03 Dec 2009 07:33:00 UTC | #419739

Nozzer's Avatar Comment 9 by Nozzer

Dundee has a nice venue too and I'd travel to Edinburgh or Glasgow for this, but London is a bit of a stretch! I guess I need to get in touch with New Humanist. I already subscribe - recommended. Loved this article by Richard Norman in their November/December 2009 issue Beyond belief

Thu, 03 Dec 2009 08:22:00 UTC | #419751

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 10 by Stafford Gordon

Laughing at religion is the best approach I think.

Thu, 03 Dec 2009 09:05:00 UTC | #419768

John Locke's Avatar Comment 11 by John Locke

"things can only get better...."

i should just wear my coat constantly...

Thu, 03 Dec 2009 09:50:00 UTC | #419791

ergaster's Avatar Comment 12 by ergaster

Mark Steel is a very funny guy and I constantly listen to his lectures. I'm not surprised at all that he's been added to the list on this festive occasion. However, a couple of years back he wrote an article called "Atheists and believers have got religion wrong" which didn't sit at all well with the readers of RD.net:

If he has written more on the topic since then I'm not aware.

Thu, 03 Dec 2009 11:37:00 UTC | #419841

hairybreeks's Avatar Comment 13 by hairybreeks

Is it just me, or does atheism look more like a religion every day? Thereby fuelling a common criticism of atheism as 'just another faith'.

Thu, 03 Dec 2009 12:26:00 UTC | #419860

Quetzalcoatl's Avatar Comment 14 by Quetzalcoatl

hairybreeks-

It's just you.

What are the tenets and commandments of atheism? What do we worship?

Thu, 03 Dec 2009 12:28:00 UTC | #419861

Tyler Durden's Avatar Comment 15 by Tyler Durden

@hairybreeks -

It's just you.

But please, elaborate on your point... I'll be away reading Dawkins's Atheist Manifesto, Harris's Unquestioned Dogma and Hitchens's Atheist Commandments while you mull it over.

Thu, 03 Dec 2009 12:42:00 UTC | #419864

Quetzalcoatl's Avatar Comment 16 by Quetzalcoatl

Tyler Durden-

You're reading Harris? Splitter!

Thu, 03 Dec 2009 12:49:00 UTC | #419865

John Locke's Avatar Comment 17 by John Locke

it is just you

i do however see where you're coming from

we seem to follow dogmatically the belief in reason and the idea that humans can learn through scientific development. we defend our lack of belief as much as many religious people.

yes there are comparisons on the surface

in analysing it (as pointed out above) you can see that there are no underlying dogmatic tenets of atheism. we do not go on a book or creed or tradition set out on some spurious facts, superstitions or coincidences set deep in the past. the cohesion has resulted in the tiresome increase in volume of the religious in recent years, and a reaction against it.

the key lies in the definition of religion. and the blanket use of the word "belief".

Thu, 03 Dec 2009 14:32:00 UTC | #419891

mitch_486's Avatar Comment 18 by mitch_486

13. Comment #438325 by hairybreeks on December 3, 2009 at 12:26 pm

I'm sorry if I'm a bit abrasive here, but thats just stupid. Nobody is risking their life for "leaving atheism". No children are maimed or killed for being an evil myth, no women are told what to do, say or dress at the command of "holy atheist" men.

You've allowed yourself to forget what religion is and I suggest you look into it once more.

Thu, 03 Dec 2009 15:15:00 UTC | #419898

sheepscarer's Avatar Comment 19 by sheepscarer

Brian Cox, Dara O Briain, Robin Ince and Alice Roberts all featured on a new radio 4 show about science - enjoyed this immensely especially the mixture of humour and informal science chat. There was real sadness and genuine dismay in Alice's voice when she talked about her recent TV series on the human journey from Africa and the fact that many people objected because they didn't believe that humans had evolved.

Think it was called 'The Infinite Monkey Cage'

Thu, 03 Dec 2009 15:20:00 UTC | #419901

King of NH's Avatar Comment 20 by King of NH

Is it just me, or does atheism look more like a religion every day?

According to "Prophet Dawkins (May the Unicorn of Pink Invisibility give Peace to Him and His)" and the "Holy Son who is also His own Father and some other Spirit just because you can't have a Trinity without 3 Hitchens (yes, a very long title, but he does love to talk)" no, atheism is not a religion.

(Kidding! The Holy See and Messiah Dennet says Dawkins and Hitchens are false gods)

I do understand where you're coming from, but if you replace the theist objection "Atheism is a religion, too, because..." with "Punctuated Equilibrium is a religion, too, because" or "Socialism is a religion, too, because" or, or, or... you will see that the argument simple doesn't hold up. Why not dispense with the word "religion" all together and just say "any group" at that point?

They want "religion" and "religious" to mean "exemplary moral character" when it is aimed at them, but have it mean "blind, ignorant faith" when pointed at us. Sorry, but I'm not letting it pass.

Thu, 03 Dec 2009 15:37:00 UTC | #419905

njwong's Avatar Comment 21 by njwong

Is it just me, or does atheism look more like a religion every day?

If you mean that atheists are now developing a sense of identity, communion, fellowship, and a common purpose, just like the religionists, then I agree (and in that sense only). However, it can surely be argued that people with common interests can always come together to promote their common cause, so that is not really a special distinction.

Fri, 04 Dec 2009 03:29:00 UTC | #420119

Sally Luxmoore's Avatar Comment 22 by Sally Luxmoore

For those unable to make it to London in December a DVD filmed at the shows in 2008- featuring Richard Dawkins reading from Unweaving the Rainbow, will be available as a free gift to all New Humanist subscribers in the New Year. Don’t miss out, subscribe here http://newhumanist.org.uk/subscribe
Hurray! Good news. (I am a New Humanist subscriber...)
A New Year pressie. Thanks, New Humanist!

Fri, 04 Dec 2009 16:31:00 UTC | #420237

Sally Luxmoore's Avatar Comment 23 by Sally Luxmoore

Comment #438368 by sheepscarer
Thanks for letting us know about that - I'm listening now.

'The Infinite Monkey Cage'
3 days' listening left.

- Sorry, UK only.

Fri, 04 Dec 2009 16:35:00 UTC | #420238

dogofman's Avatar Comment 24 by dogofman

Sally Luxmoore #438713:

I can listen to the iplayer from Sweden. And it's also possible to download the fisrt episode as podcast here:

Sun, 06 Dec 2009 11:46:00 UTC | #420630