← Group organizes to be 'good without God'

Group organizes to be 'good without God' - Comments

Mitch Kahle's Avatar Comment 1 by Mitch Kahle

I wish we could have a campaign like this in Hawaii, but the state does not allow billboards or outdoor advertising of any kind.

Thu, 03 Dec 2009 19:00:00 UTC | #419980

cherryteresa's Avatar Comment 2 by cherryteresa

Thanks for posting!

Thu, 03 Dec 2009 19:01:00 UTC | #419981

NathanH's Avatar Comment 3 by NathanH

Very nice. Love it.

But the comments are beyond astounding. They are, dare I say it...

Pathetic...

Thu, 03 Dec 2009 19:07:00 UTC | #419984

glenister_m's Avatar Comment 4 by glenister_m

Nice to have one of these articles without a quote from a faithhead complaining about how it offends them! Very positive article.

Thu, 03 Dec 2009 19:50:00 UTC | #419994

Mitch Kahle's Avatar Comment 5 by Mitch Kahle

"You need evidence of a God, look around you, you freak! again, i'd take a flame thrower to you and your ilk and rid the world of your hate and pestillance. [sic]"

Gaiuscaesar (12/03/2009, 1:21 PM)

Typical "Christian" response with threat of violence.

When was the last time anyone read a comment like this from an atheist?

Thu, 03 Dec 2009 20:04:00 UTC | #419997

cherryteresa's Avatar Comment 6 by cherryteresa

Someone just brought up 2012. *facepalm*

Thu, 03 Dec 2009 20:19:00 UTC | #420003

SaintStephen's Avatar Comment 7 by SaintStephen

6. Comment #438471 by cherryteresa on December 3, 2009 at 8:19 pm

(Red only because you're Cherry, and I needed to get your attention...)

Are you the Cherry in the article?

Thu, 03 Dec 2009 20:28:00 UTC | #420005

cherryteresa's Avatar Comment 8 by cherryteresa

SaintStephen - Your attempt to get my attention worked! Yes, that is me.

Thu, 03 Dec 2009 20:36:00 UTC | #420006

SaintStephen's Avatar Comment 9 by SaintStephen

"Some people might like something that sort of resembles traditional religion," he said. "They might want to go to Sunday meetings or, if they're Jewish, Friday night meetings, and we let them know that there are humanistic Jewish groups out there, there are Ethical Culture Societies, very liberal Unitarian churches, there are even atheist churches."
Holy shit please hide this thread from russkid.

Thu, 03 Dec 2009 20:37:00 UTC | #420009

SaintStephen's Avatar Comment 10 by SaintStephen

8. Comment #438474 by cherryteresa on December 3, 2009 at 8:36 pm

Awesome! Go Baltimore! I need to find a similar group here in the Bay Area. Been a bit lazy about this. You've inspired me to start searching.

Thu, 03 Dec 2009 20:40:00 UTC | #420013

cherryteresa's Avatar Comment 11 by cherryteresa

SaintStephen - Thanks. Maybe you check if the Bay Area has a Coalition of Reason or some Humanist association. You could also check www.meetup.com (I think that's the link, but I can't check because my work blocks it).

Thu, 03 Dec 2009 20:48:00 UTC | #420016

SaintStephen's Avatar Comment 12 by SaintStephen

The Right Rev. Eugene Taylor Sutton, the Episcopal bishop of Maryland:

"We don't believe in God in order to be good. We believe in God in order to connect with the holy within us, which helps us to love everyone in the world..."
With all due respect, I think you need more help.

So the Right Reverend is saying people need a supernatural being, who exists outside of space and time, to better "connect with" something called "the holy" that is "within" them already.

Fatuous, air-headed babble. But he's a nice man, I'm quite sure of that. Which is what makes our job SO DAMN MUCH harder.

Thu, 03 Dec 2009 20:54:00 UTC | #420019

SaintStephen's Avatar Comment 13 by SaintStephen

11. Comment #438484 by cherryteresa on December 3, 2009 at 8:48 pm

Thank you Cherry! I've got some homework to do now.

Thu, 03 Dec 2009 20:57:00 UTC | #420021

TIKI AL's Avatar Comment 14 by TIKI AL

"underscores the notion that we have all been created with a yearning to be part of something bigger, something noble."

Richard's blog is indeed "something noble".

SS: "Holy shit please hide this thread from russkid."
...I think some kind and humane person has hid russkid from us. Either that or he's out killing healthcare reform and telling people global warming is a myth.

Thu, 03 Dec 2009 21:02:00 UTC | #420024

cherryteresa's Avatar Comment 15 by cherryteresa

SaintStephen - You're welcome, and thank you for the kind words. After seeing some of the nasty comments on the Sun page, it's nice to see some more positive words here.

Thu, 03 Dec 2009 21:21:00 UTC | #420035

wald0h's Avatar Comment 16 by wald0h

I'm twenty-three and have been busting my tail trying to find a local group similiar to this in my area. I am located in the Central Valley (Fresno, ugh) California and it's a combination of rural communities and lots of immigrant friendly workplaces (dairies, farms, cheese plants etc.)

Not to sound prejudice, but this has created a very religious place to be. Lots of catholic and a large islam influence since I have lived here.

I have a large group of friends and people of similar interests, but not a single atheist person in my social group, strange!

It's a big area, Fresno is a large city, but it seems the closest humanist/atheist charity groups/organizations are bay-area. quite a trek for me (eight hour drives, ouch!)

I have been contemplating starting something myself, but with zero know-how (but a lot of potential dedication!) can anyone maybe turn me in the right direction and give me a swift kick in the ass£ Either a way to find a group that I have not yet seen, or some materials or ideas about creating one from scratch. Thanks!

Thu, 03 Dec 2009 21:31:00 UTC | #420038

SaintStephen's Avatar Comment 17 by SaintStephen

15. Comment #438504 by cherryteresa on December 3, 2009 at 9:21 pm

I've completely stopped reading comments like the ones you're referring to. I get genuine nausea from some of them -- literally sick to my stomach.

Heaven and Hell are both on Earth. Heaven is the natural world, and Hell is on the Internet, located directly below blogs and articles written by atheists.

Thu, 03 Dec 2009 21:35:00 UTC | #420040

SaintStephen's Avatar Comment 18 by SaintStephen

16. Comment #438507 by waldoh on December 3, 2009 at 9:31 pm

You ain't just whistling Dixie, my friend. Driving from Livermore to Sacramento, or from Livermore to Bakersfield, one can't even find a radio station that isn't playing Christian music, or airing Christian sermons.

(I guess this shows my age -- get an IPOD, dork.)

If you have any more thoughts along these lines, I wouldn't mind hearing about them. Feel free to PM me, as well.

Thu, 03 Dec 2009 21:41:00 UTC | #420041

Sandra S's Avatar Comment 19 by Sandra S

17. Comment #438509 by SaintStephen

Heaven and Hell are both on Earth. Heaven is the natural world

Including the digger wasp and the box jellyfish? Oh well, at least it isn't the totalitarian regime with thought crime I thought it would be...

Thu, 03 Dec 2009 22:01:00 UTC | #420048

SaintStephen's Avatar Comment 20 by SaintStephen

19. Comment #438518 by Sandra S on December 3, 2009 at 10:01 pm

Believe it or not, I agonized over that line, because I JUST KNEW somebody would call me on it.

I just never, in my wildest dreams, though it would be YOU, Sandra. After all we've shared together.

Thu, 03 Dec 2009 22:06:00 UTC | #420049

wald0h's Avatar Comment 21 by wald0h

Thank you, SaintStephen. I've been a long-time reader of RD.net, when I first started reading I was still in the 'unsure-how-outside-influences-were-affecting-my-own-capacity-for-decision-making' Boat. (yes a strange name for a boat, had to pay the painter a fortune to fit it on the side)
I'm still a little intimidated by the sheer amount of smarties here! Well beyond my own intellect but at least I have SOMEthing in common. I figured it was time to contribute my thoughts and hope to write a little more in the future.

I might just take you up on the PM's, thanks again!

Thu, 03 Dec 2009 22:07:00 UTC | #420050

Sandra S's Avatar Comment 22 by Sandra S

20. Comment #438519 by SaintStephen

I was young and drunk, I didn't know any better! ... wait, what are we talking about?

*ehem* Also, arn't you missing some colours?

*Gets coat*

Thu, 03 Dec 2009 22:18:00 UTC | #420055

SaintStephen's Avatar Comment 23 by SaintStephen

22. Comment #438525 by Sandra S on December 3, 2009 at 10:18 pm

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Do it yourself. And NO, it didn't take that long.

(Do you need lower case?)

Thu, 03 Dec 2009 22:29:00 UTC | #420059

Sandra S's Avatar Comment 24 by Sandra S

23. Comment #438529 by SaintStephen

Oh, ouch.

Don't worry, I'm going to stop lowering the tone now. Carry on.

Thu, 03 Dec 2009 22:35:00 UTC | #420060

SaintStephen's Avatar Comment 25 by SaintStephen

Thinking about more HTML in your posts? BAD IDEA:

Phenotype:

Genotype:

Thu, 03 Dec 2009 23:18:00 UTC | #420073

TIKI AL's Avatar Comment 26 by TIKI AL

waldoh @ 21: "I'm still a little intimidated by the sheer amount of smarties here!"

If by "smarties" you mean "wise asses", there is certainly no shortage here.

Thu, 03 Dec 2009 23:40:00 UTC | #420077

Alternative Carpark's Avatar Comment 27 by Alternative Carpark

I'm not sure if I like the slogan "Good without god".

Fri, 04 Dec 2009 00:55:00 UTC | #420092

Daisy Skipper's Avatar Comment 28 by Daisy Skipper

SaintStephen and Sandra S --> thanks for keeping me entertained!

Fri, 04 Dec 2009 01:36:00 UTC | #420102

Matthew Nicoll's Avatar Comment 29 by Matthew Nicoll

Mitch Kahle writes:
'Typical "Christian" response with threat of violence.'

Um, how do you define "typical" ?
One in a million?

Fri, 04 Dec 2009 01:42:00 UTC | #420103

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 30 by mordacious1

SaintStephen

When we saw Richard in Berkeley, I met some very nice people from Bay Area Atheists:

[edit] This looks like fun:

[edit edit] Damn, forgot links don't work in "edit". Oh well, cut and past it.:)

Fri, 04 Dec 2009 02:04:00 UTC | #420107