← Kent Hovind's Doctoral Dissertation

Kent Hovind's Doctoral Dissertation - Comments

Mitch Kahle's Avatar Comment 1 by Mitch Kahle

Hilarious!

These people all think like 2nd graders (my apologies to 2nd graders).

Wed, 09 Dec 2009 17:41:00 UTC | #421834

Paul42's Avatar Comment 2 by Paul42

Hah...

Speed read the first few pages...

Aargh, I just can't do it.

The stupid, it burns. He starts with entropy ffs.

Is this all it takes to call yourself doctor?

Unbelievable.

Love.

Wed, 09 Dec 2009 17:55:00 UTC | #421842

passutoba's Avatar Comment 3 by passutoba

I picked a page at random and lasted about 10 lines....yuk, comparing him to 2nd graders does most of them a disservice...horrible little short stuttering sentences reflecting his simplistic thinking.

What is Patriot university? is it like Liberty university?

Wed, 09 Dec 2009 17:58:00 UTC | #421843

fishingman1's Avatar Comment 4 by fishingman1

"Evolution is purely religion. There is no scientific evidence at all to back up any form of macroevolution"

Those 2 sentences there sum up how stupid this man is. Just another religious nut.

Wed, 09 Dec 2009 18:07:00 UTC | #421847

mirandaceleste's Avatar Comment 5 by mirandaceleste

Holy crap! I've only gotten as far as the acknowledgments page and I'm already full of uncontrollable laughter:

My three children Kent Andrew, Eric, and Marlissa have often traveled with me as I preach on the subject of dinosaurs and the Bible

!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wed, 09 Dec 2009 18:12:00 UTC | #421851

George Lennan's Avatar Comment 6 by George Lennan

a word to the wise - don't bother. Its a summary of the very worst arguments, and you've heard them before - just not for a while :)

Wed, 09 Dec 2009 18:18:00 UTC | #421854

Panic.fo's Avatar Comment 7 by Panic.fo

"If the bible says something was created a certain way, then that is just the way it happened."

Really.. and the man is a science teacher?

How can we take these people seriously?

Wed, 09 Dec 2009 18:19:00 UTC | #421856

God fearing Atheist's Avatar Comment 8 by God fearing Atheist

I've skimmed it. I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I hope this goes viral. Congratulations to the person who "borrowed" and scanned it.

Are there any academic standards in the USA? In other words, if I only know that a person has a PhD from a US institution what quality guarantee do I have on their qualification?

Wed, 09 Dec 2009 18:26:00 UTC | #421858

koldito's Avatar Comment 9 by koldito

For me, nothing is more important than reading Kent Hovind's dissertation. Therefore, I'll do nothing.

*cue drum fill*

Wed, 09 Dec 2009 18:26:00 UTC | #421859

TheLordHumungus's Avatar Comment 10 by TheLordHumungus

The lord Jesus Christ obviously has an active dislike for using justified text alignment. It really does sound like a book report from elementary school!

Wed, 09 Dec 2009 18:27:00 UTC | #421860

NewEnglandBob's Avatar Comment 11 by NewEnglandBob

It is surprising that the typist (Miss Kim Van Gundy) didn't gnaw off her own arm while typing this sewage.

Wed, 09 Dec 2009 18:29:00 UTC | #421861

mirandaceleste's Avatar Comment 12 by mirandaceleste

Unfortunately, American standards for accreditation are very lax and the federal government plays a very limited role in the accreditation process (in contrast to most other countries.)

Also, there are "religious accreditors," and, even worse, "religious-exempt degrees":

Accreditation standards are a huge problem here. I'm not sure if they'll ever change, though, as so many people/groups are so vehemently opposed to government involvement in just about anything (why they're opposed, I'll never understand.)

Wed, 09 Dec 2009 18:34:00 UTC | #421864

jamiso's Avatar Comment 13 by jamiso

8. Comment #440376 by God fearing Atheist

'Patriot' 'University' is not a 'real' school.
It's not accredited by any recognized accreditation body.

'Patriot Bible Unaccredited Fundamentalist Christian Correspondence Diploma Mill' is as much an actual university as the McDonalds Hamburger Institute.
(Take a look at their campus: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:PatriotUniversity2.jpg )
Lets not lump them in with MIT or University of Pennsylvania.

Wed, 09 Dec 2009 18:36:00 UTC | #421866

root2squared's Avatar Comment 14 by root2squared

LOL!!!! I've changed my mind. I don't want religion to go away. What else can produce such original humor?

Heh, this reminds me of when I was working on my master's thesis. As a template, I was referring to another student's thesis, and in the acknowledgements, the student thanked god. But before that he had also thanked the family dog!

Wed, 09 Dec 2009 18:42:00 UTC | #421872

Modo's Avatar Comment 15 by Modo

P.64

“You can believe whatever you want to believe, but don’t tell me that [the inflationary model of the universe] is science, and don’t use my tax dollars to teach other kids in the public schools that that is science.”

Is there such a thing as too much irony?

Wed, 09 Dec 2009 18:42:00 UTC | #421873

Mr DArcy's Avatar Comment 16 by Mr DArcy

Very taxing on the brain is it?

I thought Hovind didn't agree with taxes.

Wed, 09 Dec 2009 18:43:00 UTC | #421874

Tyler Durden's Avatar Comment 18 by Tyler Durden

"I would like to trace the history of evolution beginning with the fall of Satan from heaven, through the last six thousand years, to modern-day evolution..." Page 11

"I'm not one of these fellows that says Adam was created on April 7, at 4:00pm. I don't know the exact date. I would say 4000 B.C. is probably within a couple of hundred years. I contend that the earth is six or seven thousand years old. There may be some slight error. (my emphasis) - Page 64

"I beleive that the current teaching of evolution that is going on in our public schools has spawned a great number of social evils. For instance, Communism is a direct offshoot of evolution." - Page 93/94

"Jesus said in Matthew 19:4 that the creation of Adam and Eve was the beginning. I believe Jesus was right." - Page 101

Be Afraid. Be Very Afraid :)

Wed, 09 Dec 2009 18:48:00 UTC | #421877

jamiso's Avatar Comment 17 by jamiso

This is less a doctoral dissertation and more an extended youtube comment.

Wed, 09 Dec 2009 18:48:00 UTC | #421876

Dr. Strangegod's Avatar Comment 19 by Dr. Strangegod

Yea, hath God said?

Wed, 09 Dec 2009 18:49:00 UTC | #421878

chameleonpete's Avatar Comment 21 by chameleonpete

Ah dot matrix printers...nostalgia for old Epsoms!

I had a skip through it, thesis is not really accurate to describe it. Did he really get a doctorate for this? He wants locking up for producing such drivel, if he wern't already safely put away that is.

Wed, 09 Dec 2009 19:02:00 UTC | #421884

deef's Avatar Comment 20 by deef

jamiso.

"This is less a doctoral dissertation and more an extended youtube comment."

That comment is so funny it actually sparkles with genius!

Thank you. You've made my day.

Wed, 09 Dec 2009 19:02:00 UTC | #421883

PJG's Avatar Comment 22 by PJG

So, at least now we know where we can all get a Ph.D. in Ranting Lunacy.

Actually, I find this sort of thing scary rather than funny - Why? Because of three things - Kent Andrew, Eric and Marlissa. Yes, these people produce viable young.

Wed, 09 Dec 2009 19:03:00 UTC | #421885

APPlet's Avatar Comment 23 by APPlet

"Ken Taylors' Living Bible, I don'the garbage heap."

An example of the ubiquitous profundity in this thesis (this example from page 100).

Wed, 09 Dec 2009 19:37:00 UTC | #421898

Mark Smith's Avatar Comment 24 by Mark Smith

Astounding. Is he really allowed to say he went to university and got a PhD?

Wed, 09 Dec 2009 19:52:00 UTC | #421907

prettygoodformonkeys's Avatar Comment 25 by prettygoodformonkeys

The funniest thing (so far) is his use, in a Doctoral Thesis, of the double exclamation mark when describing how God feels about PRIDE

He hates it!!
Priceless.

Wed, 09 Dec 2009 19:54:00 UTC | #421910

GodsDontExist's Avatar Comment 26 by GodsDontExist

That "crazy" "Evolution Religion" LOL!

The bible hasn't been proven wrong yet? How about the Bible hasn't been proven, period.

That thing is scary to read. It is basically, God exists, I know he does and he left the Bible for us to follow.

It is sick, I am only part way through it and I'm already feeling ill.

Wed, 09 Dec 2009 19:55:00 UTC | #421911

Michael P.'s Avatar Comment 27 by Michael P.

From cover page: "A project submitted to Dr. Wayne Knight."

Isn't that Newman from Seinfeld? Not to mention Spielberg's dinosaur epic Jurassic Park. . . oh, the irony.

Wed, 09 Dec 2009 20:00:00 UTC | #421914

Aztek's Avatar Comment 28 by Aztek

12. Comment #440382 by mirandaceleste:

Thanks for clearing that up. I was actually more confused than amused after reading a few random pages. I couldn't understand how someone could get a Ph.D. from crap like this. But I wasn't aware of the "religious-exempt degrees" you have. I checked the link you provided on Wikipedia and learned something new. Luckily there seems to be restrictions for how one can use the degree, e.g. on resumes.

I also visited Hovind's Wiki page. Karen Bartelt, a chemistry professor, has said this about Hovind's text:

Bartelt has stated Hovind's doctoral dissertation is evidence of the poor requirements at Patriot and that Hovind lacks knowledge of basic science. Bartelt noted that Hovind's dissertaton is incomplete (contains four chapters totaling 101 pages, but Hovind's introduction claims the work is 250 pages with 16 chapters), of low academic quality, with poor writing, poor spelling, and poor grammatical style. Bartelt asserts that pages are repeated, references are absent, and it is not an original work with original ideas.

Wed, 09 Dec 2009 20:01:00 UTC | #421917

icantlogoff's Avatar Comment 29 by icantlogoff

I didn't know its that easy to get a PHd, lets face it guys, why bother with facts and lots of study when you can simple write a paper based on your personal opinion and use the universal phrase " some scientist" and get a phd.. I hereby submit my dissertation for the "Meaning of life"

42.

Title please.

Wed, 09 Dec 2009 20:05:00 UTC | #421920

bethe123's Avatar Comment 30 by bethe123

I have nothing against Hovind personally so will not add to the torrent of laughter which I do not condone, nor understand. PZ Myers' intellectual attainments appear to be so far beyond Hovind’s reach that laughter seems cruel. It is already clear, without the laughter, this is a work entirely devoid of academic merit.

What I would rather concentrate on is it really true that he is a high school science teacher as he claims? That is not a laughing matter.

Wed, 09 Dec 2009 20:07:00 UTC | #421922