← A message from Simon Singh:

A message from Simon Singh: - Comments

Enlightenme..'s Avatar Comment 1 by Enlightenme..

Signed petition.
It then gets you to append your address to a note to your MP, but then doesn't give a further button to press.
?

Edit;
I forgot to say - First - yo.

Sat, 12 Dec 2009 06:15:00 UTC | #422732

DocWebster's Avatar Comment 3 by DocWebster

I find it disquieting that it has taken this long for an uproar to ensue. It seems almost evil that one can be charged for libel while telling the complete truth. How many other good people through the ages were destroyed by this contemptible state of affairs. It's all through the fear that now, anyone in the world can be squashed by this archaic nonsense, the British people may finally be rid of it. I call that a step toward a brighter global reality

Sat, 12 Dec 2009 06:21:00 UTC | #422734

flibble's Avatar Comment 2 by flibble

Might be your browser or something. There was a button to press when I did it.

By the way my MP responded within about half an hour yesterday - well his secretary did, but only a standard reply to say that he'll be in touch in due course. As this is only the latest of many many emails and letters I've sent him on similar topics over the years I don't think it's going to have any great effect though.

Sat, 12 Dec 2009 06:21:00 UTC | #422733

ridelo's Avatar Comment 4 by ridelo

Signed!
A law that protects conmen. Unthinkable and yet...

Sat, 12 Dec 2009 08:36:00 UTC | #422758

Yngve's Avatar Comment 5 by Yngve

Signed.
I can't wait until the laws are changed, I foresee a deluge of criticism on hucksters, quacks and whole institutions that need to be exposed as hacks. Being able to expose [insert woo-peddler here] using derogatory terms in the description of their ill-conceived, dishonest and mischievous acts against humanity without concern for libel suits should be a human right.

Sat, 12 Dec 2009 09:33:00 UTC | #422762

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 6 by Stafford Gordon

Done.

Sat, 12 Dec 2009 09:49:00 UTC | #422767

Jos Gibbons's Avatar Comment 7 by Jos Gibbons

At the risk of helping to encourage a continuation of the current trend for this to be a long list of "signed" posts ... signed. (I didn't personalize my submission, but I did send an e-mail to my local MP.)

Sat, 12 Dec 2009 10:48:00 UTC | #422775

Nunbeliever's Avatar Comment 8 by Nunbeliever

Petition signed. Finland supports the reformation of English Libel laws... ;-)

Sat, 12 Dec 2009 11:59:00 UTC | #422785

Bernard Hurley's Avatar Comment 9 by Bernard Hurley

Part of the problem is that for many legal purposes, corporations and other organisations are considered to be "persons". One improvement would be if only real flesh and blood people could be libelled. This would not solve the problem completely but it would help.

Sat, 12 Dec 2009 14:36:00 UTC | #422819

aoratos philos's Avatar Comment 10 by aoratos philos

Skepchick also has a nice set of interviews with some of the names supporting the libel reform.

Sat, 12 Dec 2009 16:16:00 UTC | #422850

fsm1965's Avatar Comment 11 by fsm1965

Signed, for what it's worth I had a postcard from my MP, but I am not convinced he'll take much notice...

Sat, 12 Dec 2009 16:37:00 UTC | #422857