← Houston elects openly gay mayor

Houston elects openly gay mayor - Comments

Jos Gibbons's Avatar Comment 1 by Jos Gibbons

Dave Wilson is an idiot. He should name one society that's gone extinct due to abandoning heterosexual activity if he wants to make his case.

Mon, 14 Dec 2009 13:42:00 UTC | #423276

A's Avatar Comment 2 by A

Dave "I don't like 'em up me" Wilson: "I feel that homosexual behaviour is an affront to the family values of one man-one woman, and homosexual behaviour, to any society that's embraced it, has led to the extinction of that society"

The Fabulous Dinosaurs ?

Mon, 14 Dec 2009 13:53:00 UTC | #423284

Tyler Durden's Avatar Comment 3 by Tyler Durden

Has Dave "Homophobe" Wilson visited San Francisco in the last 40 years?

Mon, 14 Dec 2009 14:01:00 UTC | #423286

squeegee's Avatar Comment 4 by squeegee

Is this the image Houston wants to portray?

It would appear so Dave old boy...

Mon, 14 Dec 2009 14:18:00 UTC | #423293

Peacebeuponme's Avatar Comment 5 by Peacebeuponme

seueegee

It would appear so Dave old boy...
I was worried then that Davey-boy Robertson was on the prowl.

Mon, 14 Dec 2009 14:56:00 UTC | #423298

gos's Avatar Comment 6 by gos

Oi! What about the Icelandic prime minister? Surely, that trumps a mere mayor, even though Houston's population is 7 times Iceland's...

Mon, 14 Dec 2009 16:24:00 UTC | #423328

RePete's Avatar Comment 7 by RePete

Now (in a perfect world) comes the "my partner and I are also non-theists"

Mon, 14 Dec 2009 16:32:00 UTC | #423335

Follow Peter Egan's Avatar Comment 8 by Follow Peter Egan

Well I've personally always blamed too much gayness for the fall of the Austro-Hungarian empire.

I have not a jot of evidence to back up my witless assertion, but I'm entitled to my opinion. I also believe in fairies and Bronze Age myths, therefore my opinion is one you must respect.

Or not.

Mon, 14 Dec 2009 16:41:00 UTC | #423339

canatheist's Avatar Comment 9 by canatheist

The article doesn't make mention of it, but am I off the mark by assuming Mr. Homophobe Wilson is also a religious nutter. It seems likely as most homophobes are so because of their religious beliefs.

So if he is, then Mr. Wilson, this is yet another example of Religion fostering hatred for no valid reason. I guess it's OK to "love your neighbor" as long as you don't "Luv your neighbor". Stop feeling threatened, you're probably no gay person's type anyway.

If he isn't, then Mr. Wilson, get a life. Societies evolve just as nature does, and there is no such thing as status quo. Bernard Berenson put it best in his quote "Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago"

They say ignorance is bliss, and you are one blissful sob

Mon, 14 Dec 2009 16:49:00 UTC | #423343

Rosbif's Avatar Comment 10 by Rosbif

"and homosexual behaviour, to any society that's embraced it, has led to the extinction of that society."

Nope, it hasn't led to the extinction of the catholic priest society. Or doesn't it count if practiced in secret on the under-aged?

Mon, 14 Dec 2009 17:12:00 UTC | #423354

Colwyn Abernathy's Avatar Comment 11 by Colwyn Abernathy

Whoopee, she's gay. REAL question is: Can she LEAD? Don't really give a shit if a candidate's gay, bi, transgendered or what have you. Don't even care if they're the FIRST to hold that particular office. What are you going to do now that you're there?

"Just as it is about transforming the lives of all Houstonians for the better, and that's what my administration will be about."

Lovely. How vague. Spoken like every other politician who spends more time and money RUNNING than GOVERNING. It's like people who go all out for their wedding but give no thought to the actual MARRIAGE afterward.

That being said, I really hope she's got what it takes to actually make Houston better, even standing up to that dipshit they have as a governor. It's a start, I'll grant Texas that, apart from Austin, that is. Austin usually seems to be the one part of the state that's ahead of the rest.

EDIT:

Dave Wilson, the long-time anti-gay activist who sent out the fliers, said: "There's a cultural war going on in our society today. I feel that homosexual behaviour is an affront to the family values of one man-one woman, and homosexual behaviour, to any society that's embraced it, has led to the extinction of that society."

And I feel that the offensive "one man-one woman" relationships are an affront to the traditional family values of one man-many women. You asshole, tradition's as good only as far back as you want to go. This isn't the 50's anymore, you dumbass. I so LOVE how conservatives are all about FREEDOM and PERSONAL CHOICE for THEMSELVES, but when it comes to other people wanting the same they start whining. STFU and welcome to the 21st century!

Dumbass...

One more thing:

I guess Harvey Milk doesn't fucking count then?

Mon, 14 Dec 2009 17:23:00 UTC | #423362

gruebait's Avatar Comment 12 by gruebait

huh. I did not know that. I wonder where Dave Wilson learned that particular nugget.

Mon, 14 Dec 2009 18:03:00 UTC | #423375

Logicel's Avatar Comment 13 by Logicel

And you, cavemandave, are an affront. Period.

Mon, 14 Dec 2009 18:09:00 UTC | #423377

SomeDanGuy's Avatar Comment 14 by SomeDanGuy

@Colwyn Abernathy
It should be noted that all this talk about how important the election is to the LGBT community is from the press, not from Parker herself. The press loves exaggeration and always has to work some sort of 'angle'. They are also the ones that chose to include a vague quote about improvement; it's not as if that was the entirety of her campaign platform.

In the interviews she's given subsequently, she has actually tried to steer the conversation towards her efforts in Houston even though interviews keep asking about being gay.

Mon, 14 Dec 2009 18:42:00 UTC | #423386

mlgatheist's Avatar Comment 15 by mlgatheist

I think that neither Iceland nor San Francisco were bastions of homophobia when they elected their first homosexuals into office. Texas has always had the image of being that type of bastion. Therefore it is a momentous event to have a GLBT person elected in Huston Texas.

Someone should challenge Mr. Wilson on his statement "...homosexual behaviour, to any society that's embraced it, has led to the extinction of that society."

What societies does he claim became extinct because they accepted homosexuality£ What evidence does he have that they fell because of this one thing and not because of other things£

Mon, 14 Dec 2009 18:44:00 UTC | #423390

jcob82's Avatar Comment 16 by jcob82

How surprising for Texas. It seems odd that California and New York both recently been in the news for denying gays equal rights as everyone else while Iowa and Texas have made news for being friendlier to gays. It ruins my simplistic view of red state blue state America. Congratulations to Ms. Parker.

Mon, 14 Dec 2009 18:57:00 UTC | #423394

Erik's Avatar Comment 17 by Erik

Just as you cannot make assumptions about New York state from how things are in Manhattan...

While most of rural Texas is strongly conservative, Houston is far more diverse. Maybe not as progressive as Austin, but Harris County, where Houston is, did vote for Obama in the 2008 election. There hasn't been a Republican mayor of Houston since 1982. The election of Annise Parker is therefore no big surprise to us Houstonians.

Mon, 14 Dec 2009 20:48:00 UTC | #423415

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 18 by Stafford Gordon

Way to go!

Mon, 14 Dec 2009 22:34:00 UTC | #423436

donL's Avatar Comment 19 by donL

#441891 , gos

Germany has ~37 times the population of Houston and a gay vice-chancellor. I don't think that the world changed a lot, though.

Mon, 14 Dec 2009 22:52:00 UTC | #423441

VeritasLiberabitVos's Avatar Comment 20 by VeritasLiberabitVos

What societies does he claim became extinct because they accepted homosexuality?

Sodom and Gomorrah, presumably. It says so in the Bible. QED

Mon, 14 Dec 2009 23:12:00 UTC | #423443

Aidan's Avatar Comment 21 by Aidan

The Mayors of Paris and Berlin are openly gay.

Mon, 14 Dec 2009 23:26:00 UTC | #423448

Net's Avatar Comment 22 by Net

I wonder what Dave Wilson thinks (imagines) homosexual behaviour is. Indeed, I wonder what he thinks sexual behaviour is. And as to such behaviour leading to extinction, is this more imagination, or have there been societies that have actually gone extinct because of homosexual behaviour??

Mon, 14 Dec 2009 23:58:00 UTC | #423457

KRKBAB's Avatar Comment 23 by KRKBAB

Colwyn, or should I say fuckin' Colwyn Abernathy (a word you're fond of it looks like)- A gay politician in New England or California or France or Germany isn't that big of a deal. It is a big deal in Texas (whether or not she can lead). Are you that blind or do you just like making stupid points?

Tue, 15 Dec 2009 00:11:00 UTC | #423460

Raiko's Avatar Comment 24 by Raiko

The term 'homosexual behavior' makes me want to puke. It's one term to raise awareness to just like the labeling of children with religious world views. Homosexual 'behavior' doesn't exist. We're homosexual, not behaving like it. Homophobes wish to inject this term into society because in common language, behavior is something you can change and something you either deem good or bad. Behavior in common language is a social thing that is under your conscious control and driven by voluntary decisions. And if it's something you CHOOSE to do, it's okay to judge you for it, right?

Homosexuality is none of that.

Tue, 15 Dec 2009 00:37:00 UTC | #423463

TheVirginian's Avatar Comment 25 by TheVirginian

Colwyn:

While I think Miss Locke stretches the significance of her victory, the fact that it's in Texas does make it an important symbol. A state that gave the planet the execrable George W. Bush now has a lesbian as CEO of one of its major cities. A little euphoric exaggeration is justified here. You're right, however, that she now has to govern. Let's hope she's not reading from the Obama book of "How to Win in 2008, Then Blow Your Chances of Winning in 2012 Big Time."

Tue, 15 Dec 2009 00:46:00 UTC | #423464

Border Collie's Avatar Comment 26 by Border Collie

Watch out, Houston! You're next on the hurricane list!

Tue, 15 Dec 2009 00:57:00 UTC | #423467

KRKBAB's Avatar Comment 27 by KRKBAB

Raiko- good point- I agree. What makes me mad are the terms Gay and Straight. What's wrong the terms homosexual and heterosexual and bisexual? The way words are friendlied up in America (my country) is really evasive and childish. I think just coming up with a word that doesn't contain the word sex in it was the deal. Another stupid thing, is no-one's against abortion rights- they're "Pro-Life". And no-one is for abortion rights- they're "Pro-Choice". And people (like me) who are anti-illegal immigration are labled Anti-Immigration; by my own liberal base!? Changing words is rather silly.

Tue, 15 Dec 2009 01:53:00 UTC | #423475

Alternative Carpark's Avatar Comment 28 by Alternative Carpark

"This election has changed the world for the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered community,"

So homosexuality is now no longer a capital offence in various middle-eastern states?

Tue, 15 Dec 2009 02:04:00 UTC | #423477

the pudding's Avatar Comment 29 by the pudding

"and homosexual behaviour, to any society that's embraced it, has led to the extinction of that society"

Technically I think that he is probably correct. Every single recorded civilisation that has ever gone extinct probably did have a gay community... but he is going to have the devil's own job of explaining why homosexuality is an important ingredient in the collapse of a society, especially seeing as though there is a gay community in every existing society on the face of the planet.

Tue, 15 Dec 2009 04:08:00 UTC | #423495

Roland_F's Avatar Comment 30 by Roland_F

Comment #442023 by KRKBAB : A gay politician in New England or California or France or Germany isn't that big of a deal. It is a big deal in Texas

Well when the German vice-chancellor and foreign minister Guido Westerwelle is gay, it will mean that he as foreign minister has to visit countries who are obliged by their religion to stone him to death.
Whereas a lesbian mayor of Houston Texas is no problem as only homosexual man have to be stoned to death as demanded from the holy scripture.

Tue, 15 Dec 2009 06:08:00 UTC | #423500