← Here’s to Jacques-Yves Cousteau

Here’s to Jacques-Yves Cousteau - Comments

bluebird's Avatar Comment 1 by bluebird

Fri, 11 Jun 2010 16:18:01 UTC | #479321

Ani Sharmin's Avatar Comment 2 by Ani Sharmin

Many thanks to Mr. Revkin for writing. It's a great example of how we can be inspired by the actions of our fellow human beings to go out and discover new things in the world.

Fri, 11 Jun 2010 17:53:16 UTC | #479366

TIKI AL's Avatar Comment 3 by TIKI AL

Without the inspiration of Captain Cousteau I would never have attempted changing the pop up heads in the deep end of our pool.

I watched every special he ever produced, what a great man.

It is nice that his grandson who was born in California is helping out in the gulf. Also good that the Captain doesn't have to witness the monumental mess.

Fri, 11 Jun 2010 20:38:59 UTC | #479410

chameleonpete's Avatar Comment 4 by chameleonpete

I'm a BSAC dive leader and assistant instructor. My underwater experiences have led me to see some strange and beautiful life, perfectly adapted to their environment. If anyone has any doubts about the soundness of Darwin's books, learn to dive and go and see for yourself.

A tropical coral reef, where every square millmeter is alive, is a wonder, yet so is the green sea around Britain, as you see seal pups glide effortlessly around you, while you struggle with all your gear.

How people can want to glory in the existence of the greatly improbable, and yet miss the marvels of the world around them, I will never understand.

Updated: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 17:36:34 UTC | #479664

MAJORPAIN's Avatar Comment 5 by MAJORPAIN

I too watched Jacques Cousteau's show as a child. It had a profound influence on me. I learned the world was much bigger and more wonderous than I could ever imagine and it was certainly larger than the small people around me were trying to make me believe.

Sun, 13 Jun 2010 02:14:24 UTC | #479793

friendlypig's Avatar Comment 6 by friendlypig

I remember watching Jacques Cousteau when it was first broadcast on the tv, in glorious black and white, there being no colour tv in those days. Even so it was a wonderful experience to a youngster already interested in the natural world encouraged by my parents, especially my mother.

I find natural history a great antidote to the banality and dross that invades our lives, especially the tv.

Sun, 13 Jun 2010 10:12:39 UTC | #479853

Rosbif's Avatar Comment 7 by Rosbif

I was (as many here seem to have been) spell bound by every exposition of nature that this great team put in to our living rooms in the 60's and 70's. When colour TV happened it got even better. I'm sure JC is one of the reasons (and later with Mr Attenborough) I grew up assuming that everyone who had been to school understood all life had evolved.
It was while reading up on modern genetics that a certain Prof Dawkins shook me from my comfort zone by suggesting that there were those who, despite the advantage of access to an education, still chose to ignore this amazing, awe inspiring reality.

That brought me here and the rest, as they say, is mind bogglingly frustrating ....

Mon, 14 Jun 2010 09:45:05 UTC | #480284