← Atheist Ireland Publishes 25 Blasphemous Quotes

Atheist Ireland Publishes 25 Blasphemous Quotes - Comments

Richard Dawkins's Avatar Comment 1 by Richard Dawkins

I'm proud to be listed among the 'blasphemers'. What a great own goal by the Irish government, especially at a time that coincides with the humiliating disgrace of the disgusting Catholic church in Ireland.

Richard

Fri, 01 Jan 2010 11:38:00 UTC | #427369

jel's Avatar Comment 2 by jel

i too would be proud to be a blasphemer. i've added my comments to the site, if they want to come and get me, bring it on.

Fri, 01 Jan 2010 11:55:00 UTC | #427371

Mr Blue Sky's Avatar Comment 3 by Mr Blue Sky

It is such a shame that even with the recent reports and retirements and deaths of key figures that the sheer lunacy of the catholic (mainly) establishment maintains its death grip on the minds of so many across the water. This law will be challenged I hope soon and I would be a keen supporter of the civil action campaign against it as it goes to the European courts at some stage. They still don't get it do they? perhaps this is a last act of desperation because our younger generation are more aware of manipulation and if it didn't pass now there would be little chance in the future. Another mockery of democracy.

Fri, 01 Jan 2010 12:15:00 UTC | #427379

MartinHowe's Avatar Comment 4 by MartinHowe

Sorry, we got the new year wrong. It's really 1410.

Fri, 01 Jan 2010 12:15:00 UTC | #427380

Pilot22A's Avatar Comment 5 by Pilot22A

List me also, please.

The ultimate blaspheme would be allowing the Irish religionists to wallow in their ignorance, like so many of my compatriots in America!

BTW, go to the website and read some of the priceless blasphemous comments written by contributors.

Fri, 01 Jan 2010 12:20:00 UTC | #427383

Friend Giskard's Avatar Comment 6 by Friend Giskard

A few fairly tame quotes hidden away on an obscure website won't change anything. We need a prominent public figure to go on live Irish TV and say,"Jesus was an ignorant, lying sack of shit," or "Mohammed was a lying, child-raping gangster" or something. We need this to go to court. (I realize that's easy for me to say.)

Fri, 01 Jan 2010 12:20:00 UTC | #427385

Worldengine's Avatar Comment 7 by Worldengine

At least as a my own form of protest, I'd like to offer one of my own band's songs (any of our several atheist driven ones) to a possible album of tracks dedicated to gathering funds and attention for a campaign to end this absurdity!

I'm sure that people like Steven Wilson of UK's Porcupine Tree, which has cited the God Delusion in musical interviews, would join something like this!

His song "Halo" would fit the bill!

There are many other great musical acts out there writing songs of protest against religion's horrors.

Fri, 01 Jan 2010 12:24:00 UTC | #427387

Ned Flanders's Avatar Comment 8 by Ned Flanders

Who are these people that allow these laws to pass in supposedly free, democratic societies? Why is this kind of thing tolerated? Is it supported at all? Please someone explain to me how this happened!

Fri, 01 Jan 2010 12:25:00 UTC | #427388

justinesaracen's Avatar Comment 9 by justinesaracen

....with the humiliating disgrace of the disgusting Catholic church in Ireland.

Is it just me, or has anyone else noted that Richard no longer is pulling any punches.
Tell us how you really feel, Richard.

Fri, 01 Jan 2010 12:31:00 UTC | #427389

Vaal's Avatar Comment 10 by Vaal

Richard Dawkins:

Hear hear. It can't be said enough!

Fri, 01 Jan 2010 12:32:00 UTC | #427390

Ron Millam's Avatar Comment 11 by Ron Millam

What happens when a statement held sacred by one religion is considered blasphemous by another? (I have a feeling Christianity and Satanism butt heads every so often.) Or is blasphemy only blasphemy when it insults MY religion?

Fri, 01 Jan 2010 12:35:00 UTC | #427391

Mr. Forrest's Avatar Comment 12 by Mr. Forrest

I would have thought that a country that has just been shocked to it's core by the systematic coverup of crimes including physical, psychological and sexual abuse, even rape OF CHILDREN, would have the good sense not to enforce or pass laws that fuel the sort of "respectful" attitude that facilitates such cover-ups.

In my opinion passing the blasphemy law is not only a breach of the declaration of human rights (restricting the freedom of expression), it is also at kick in the face to all the victims of the catholic church and their pathetic, disgusting and quite frankly evil dogma.

Ireland should instead have held prosecutions and allowed every victim to seek compensation from the catholic church, then evicted that same organisation from Ireland as it is clearly a criminal organisation.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance I suppose, good luck getting this law repealed.

Fri, 01 Jan 2010 12:52:00 UTC | #427392

Balance88's Avatar Comment 13 by Balance88

Happy and successful new year everyone! =)

Really too bad it starts with such a disgusting new law in place.

So here's an idea to counter that new law...
I wasn't around at the time but back in 1968 during the 68' "revolution" in Germany, one of the things young people revolted against were ridiculous laws that were targeted at inhibiting sex between unmarried partners.
One such law was targeted at people who "helped" promote unmarital sex. So an unmarried couple literally wasn't able to move into a flat together because the landlord would check if they were married - since him renting a flat to an unmarried couple would be punishable under law.

The way some of those laws were ultimately toppled is really fascinating. On some occasions up to 72000 people pressed charges against themselves which ultimately caused some laws to become obsolete and they were discarded.

Shit I have to leave, my uncle got drunk yesterday evening and he cut open his veins.

I wish I was kidding.

Fri, 01 Jan 2010 12:58:00 UTC | #427395

aussieatheist_111's Avatar Comment 14 by aussieatheist_111

I almost WISH that the Irish Atheists would be sent to court over this. But of course - it won't - because it's too ridiculous. But can you IMAGINE the global reaction to something as foolish as this actually making it to court?

Fri, 01 Jan 2010 13:01:00 UTC | #427396

phasmagigas's Avatar Comment 15 by phasmagigas

would it be blasphemous to say to a religous leader in ireland "but didnt you just make that up?" aftre just about anything they say.

generally-its always instructive to realise that when a religious person says anything relating to their position its not really possible to differentiate it from something that anybody could just make up from the top of their head.......oops, silly me, i neednt state the obvious.

Its ironic that the law is there precisely because the stuff is patent nonsense, it couldnt be defended in any other way but by some equally nonsensical law.

my 'blasphemy' for the day: priests in ireland tell children disgraceful lies every day.

Fri, 01 Jan 2010 13:03:00 UTC | #427397

GBile's Avatar Comment 16 by GBile

Allah does not exist.
God does not exist.
YHWH does not exist.

Where do I send my check of 75000 euro?

Being a cautious person, I will not visit Ireland while this ridiculous law is operational. Sorry Dublin.

Fri, 01 Jan 2010 13:26:00 UTC | #427401

Nekura's Avatar Comment 17 by Nekura

Religions are nothing more then a bunch of raving fan-boys idolizing a collection of some of the worse mary-sue fanfiction in the history of publishing. (With apologies to modern fan-boys who can actually tell the difference between fantasy and reality)

Fri, 01 Jan 2010 13:40:00 UTC | #427402

TIKI AL's Avatar Comment 18 by TIKI AL

That is one gosh darn stoopid law.

Did I just get myself in trouble?

Fri, 01 Jan 2010 13:41:00 UTC | #427403

fossil-fish's Avatar Comment 19 by fossil-fish

First reaction is that this is ridiculous and silly. Second is that this will bite Ireland right on it's Roman Catholic bum. Very hard.

Fri, 01 Jan 2010 13:42:00 UTC | #427404

voidhawk's Avatar Comment 20 by voidhawk

Surely the best way to counter this law would be to threaten every church you can find with blasphemy against Islam, threaten every Mosque with blasphemy against Judaism etc?

When the courts are dealing with thousands of claims every week the law will have to be either relaxed or repealed.

Fri, 01 Jan 2010 13:59:00 UTC | #427405

a non e-moose's Avatar Comment 21 by a non e-moose

Most religions are are inherently blasphemous with respect to other religions. This law cannot be enforced without being arbitrarily selective. Otherwise it would effectively outlaw beliefs and opinions altogether, since you can never be sure of what is held sacred by everyone in the whole world.

Fri, 01 Jan 2010 14:14:00 UTC | #427407

Rawhard Dickins's Avatar Comment 22 by Rawhard Dickins

God's a twat!

Damn, don't I get in the top ten?

Fri, 01 Jan 2010 14:18:00 UTC | #427409

theolgit's Avatar Comment 23 by theolgit

Jesus is the son of God. Well that blasphemes against Judaism and Islam.

Fri, 01 Jan 2010 14:28:00 UTC | #427411

Alternative Carpark's Avatar Comment 24 by Alternative Carpark

Does "renounce you pomp!" count.

Fri, 01 Jan 2010 14:28:00 UTC | #427412

Logicel's Avatar Comment 25 by Logicel

I suspect that only high profiled folks will be targeted. Good, because they will get much support. The religious continue to show us that they must be contained as they are dangerous to free speech, the very cornerstone of democracy.

And all you atheist butters, faithiests, religious apologists, and moderates, cat got your tongue? No, it has not, because you dipshits tacitly support this kind of law, because in essence that is what all your vapid arguments amount to, to quench free speech.

I see this passing of the Irish Blasphemy law to be an acceleration of the battle against the religious. I now have no respect for any religious person. I have had it with the whole lot of them.

Fri, 01 Jan 2010 14:58:00 UTC | #427415

Stonyground's Avatar Comment 26 by Stonyground

More than 80 comments on the article so far and only one (No. 66) offering any kind of defence of the new law. Is the new law so universally despised or are its defenders too ashamed to stand and be counted?

Is a blashemy law not itself blaspheming by implying that God is too weak and feeble to stick up for himself?

Oddly, the UK National Secular Society read out the Kirkham poem in public to attempt to get our blasphemy law put to bed but the powers that be were too wiley to take the bait. In fact it took the incredibly useful idiot Stephen Green to start the ball rolling, the NSS picked up the ball and ran with it and now the UK blasphemy law is history.

Fri, 01 Jan 2010 14:58:00 UTC | #427416

Logicel's Avatar Comment 27 by Logicel

And this dipshit Irish law is not even a blasphemy law in the traditional sense. It is a law to protect the sensibility of god's followers. What a bunch of disgusting, stupid, mean, heartless, dangerous people, these followers of god are that they are willing to sacrifice free speech so they can stick their unproven, fatuous beliefs in everybody's face without being criticized or challenged just so they can continue their pitiful, unexamined existences.

Fri, 01 Jan 2010 15:03:00 UTC | #427417

HardNosedSkeptic's Avatar Comment 28 by HardNosedSkeptic

This is such a stupid and regressive law that it's baffling why a country which is (supposedly) in the process of modernising and secularizing would want to introduce it.

Pat Condell put it a lot better than I could in one of his videos. He said:

A country positively raped by religion in the past is now introducing a law protecting it. Talk about Stockholm syndrome.

I think he's quite right - it is Stockholm syndrome. See for yourself:

I don’t live in Ireland so there’s probably not much I can do about this. But my grandfather was Irish so I do feel a connection with Ireland and I care about what happens there. Is there anything us non-Ireland residents can do to help?

Fri, 01 Jan 2010 15:17:00 UTC | #427418

Notstrident's Avatar Comment 29 by Notstrident

I has been said that the best way to have a bad law abolished is to enforce it rigidly. Say what we will against those Irish legislators, I am confident that there are plenty of defiant citizens of Ireland who will effect the abolishing of that bad law.

Fri, 01 Jan 2010 15:26:00 UTC | #427420

Eamonn Shute's Avatar Comment 30 by Eamonn Shute

Why not protest against the law by organising a mass blasphemy? It could be fun! Let's see them try to prosecute thousands of protesters at once!

Fri, 01 Jan 2010 15:39:00 UTC | #427421