← Pat Robertson: God told me of 'mass killing' in 2007

Pat Robertson: God told me of 'mass killing' in 2007 - Comments

John Pritzlaff's Avatar Comment 1 by John Pritzlaff

I'm glad you put this up. I really don't have anything to add. This is just insane.

Wed, 03 Jan 2007 21:05:00 UTC | #13987

kcjerith's Avatar Comment 2 by kcjerith

I finf it interesting (and rather sad) that his predictions come in two types. One, politcal, such as Bush winning the election (by a landslide) SS and so on. The second type of predictions are rather morbid. They always involve mass death. what a douche bag.

Wed, 03 Jan 2007 21:14:00 UTC | #13988

kmccardle's Avatar Comment 3 by kmccardle

I would like to point out that usually when someone claims god has been talking to them we classify them as insane and send them to therapy. And yet a regular recipient of god's personal messages is currently running this country and now another one is making even more headline news. It really saddens me that people who say things like "God spoke to me and told me to help the poor" are thought of as insane and the ones who say "God spoke to me of terrible things to come!" or "God told me to kill the unbelievers!" are allowed to have positions of power.

Wed, 03 Jan 2007 21:29:00 UTC | #13989

Chrysippus_Maximus's Avatar Comment 4 by Chrysippus_Maximus

Poor, sad, pathetic old man...

I really hope the Mujahadeen can't understand Evangelist.

Wed, 03 Jan 2007 21:40:00 UTC | #13991

LDmiller's Avatar Comment 5 by LDmiller

"I have a relatively good track record," he said. "Sometimes I miss."

In May, Robertson said God told him that storms and possibly a tsunami were to crash into America's coastline in 2006.

Even though the U.S. was not hit with a tsunami, Robertson on Tuesday cited last spring's heavy rains and flooding in New England as partly fulfilling the prediction.

Robertson claims that his god-person is all-powerful; seems like he should bat 100%.

Whassa matter, Pat, poor reception? Put on your aluminum foil hat!

And remember, folks, THESE GUYS TALK TO BUSH ON A REGULAR BASIS!

Wed, 03 Jan 2007 21:41:00 UTC | #13992

Convertedchristian's Avatar Comment 6 by Convertedchristian

Well, everyone thinks he's crazy. EVERYONE. I know alot of concervative evangelical christian friends and family members and everyone of them say they think he's crazy. thank goodness at least we can all agree that he's crazy.

Wed, 03 Jan 2007 21:48:00 UTC | #13993

-TheCodeCrack-'s Avatar Comment 7 by -TheCodeCrack-

He dosn't even know what the hell's going to happen tomorrow.
What did God tell him pre september the 11th, where was he on that one?
maybe god's giving him incorrect information, so many millions of people can laugh and point at him. ps has anyone given him a mirror? for he needs to feel the pain that his mug inflicts on the rest of us.
Hand him a mirrow, and wheel him off to the luny bin.

Wed, 03 Jan 2007 21:53:00 UTC | #13995

Macho Nachos's Avatar Comment 8 by Macho Nachos

Isn't it frustrating that the prevailing media environment is so keen for viewers or readers or controversy that they let nutballs like Pat Robertson up onto a public soapbox?

The guy's a fruitcake. If an omniscient being is telling him things, then it clearly should be 100% accurate.

I'll make some predictions for 2007; The conflict in Iraq will continue with occasional bouts of more severe fighting and no solid resolution in sight; Bush will veto a Democrat bill; I will receive a small stack of junk mail on June the 7th.

Wed, 03 Jan 2007 23:32:00 UTC | #14004

mintcheerios's Avatar Comment 9 by mintcheerios

To comment #15926: The problem is that not everyone thinks he's crazy. If everyone thought he was crazy, he would be in an asylum, not on national news heavily influencing America's political climate. Saying no one believes in what he's saying is turning a blind eye to a serious threat.

As Sam Harris often likes to point out, what if you changed all instances of 'God' in that article to 'Poseidon'? Not only would Pat Robertson lose all his credibility, he would no longer have a show.

"Evangelical broadcaster Pat Robertson said Tuesday that Poseidon has told him that a terrorist attack on the United States would cause a "mass killing" late in 2007."

Thu, 04 Jan 2007 00:14:00 UTC | #14006

JimC's Avatar Comment 10 by JimC

The only problem is that a terrorist attack in '07 is not that unlikely (eg. revenge for Saddam). He would be sitting pretty if one occurred.

Thu, 04 Jan 2007 00:25:00 UTC | #14009

Jared's Avatar Comment 11 by Jared

mintcheerios:

Hmm. You know, I think even I'd watch Robertson if he made predictions on behalf of Poseidon. That's far too amusing to me. :) At least then he'd have some credibility as far as his predictions for coastal storms and tsunamis are concerned!

Thu, 04 Jan 2007 00:34:00 UTC | #14010

nealkemp's Avatar Comment 12 by nealkemp

JimC:

Exactly, did he predict one in '01? Surely god would have wanted Pat to let people know about that?

Thu, 04 Jan 2007 00:49:00 UTC | #14012

hmj's Avatar Comment 13 by hmj

How much money does he want this time?

Thu, 04 Jan 2007 00:51:00 UTC | #14013

GoodbyeGodNZ's Avatar Comment 14 by GoodbyeGodNZ

Theodrivel. Man has that sucker got the virus bad?

Thu, 04 Jan 2007 00:53:00 UTC | #14014

yokebutt's Avatar Comment 15 by yokebutt

Old joke, but bears retelling,

If you speak to God, you're religious, if God speaks to you, you're psychotic.

Yokebutt.

Thu, 04 Jan 2007 01:29:00 UTC | #14017

Roy_H's Avatar Comment 16 by Roy_H

Talk about "The God Delusion"

One of my favourite "Private Eye" covers.

Thu, 04 Jan 2007 01:37:00 UTC | #14018

Ian's Avatar Comment 17 by Ian

I'm reminded of something T.H.Huxley said about clairvoyants:

"If it were true that our poor souls, instead of retiring into their rest after the weary fight of this world, were to be at the beck and call of every tobacco-squirting 'loafer' who chose to constitue himself a medium, would not those of us who have any self-respect sooner become dogs, and perish with our bodies?"

If this god is so wonderful, why does He speak through narrow-minded, cynical fools?

Thu, 04 Jan 2007 01:46:00 UTC | #14019

Kergillian's Avatar Comment 18 by Kergillian

Wow!

God is Pat's Psychic Friend!

No wonder Televangilists need so much money, those 900# calls to Hevan must cost a mint!

Seriously though... How tough are those predictions? A Terrorist attack in the next year? Come on! I'd be more convinced if he said there would be NO terrorist attacks.

Heck, if Pat knows it's comming, can't he stop it? He could call the cops. I'm sure God could drop a name or two.

Thu, 04 Jan 2007 02:08:00 UTC | #14024

Homo economicus's Avatar Comment 19 by Homo economicus

I always thought that if someone prophesied about something that did not come to pass they were declared a false prophet.

If this guy genuinely 100% believes that god is personally telling him about the future, then he really is suffering from a neurological abnormality and needs help not ridicule.

However, if this guy is a publicity seeking, getting the readies in evangelical, then lambast away, he deserves all the cynicism. The way you can stretch his predictions to fit future events does seem to fall into this category.

Thu, 04 Jan 2007 02:17:00 UTC | #14026

Aussie's Avatar Comment 20 by Aussie

God spoke to me and told me that Pat Robertson was a nut case and to take no notice of anything that he said.

Thu, 04 Jan 2007 02:21:00 UTC | #14028

bart_van_der_griendt's Avatar Comment 21 by bart_van_der_griendt

Late in 2007... so there's a maximum amount of time to build upon the fear of terrorism this administration so desperately needs to justify it's disproportional military spending.

Who benefits?

Thu, 04 Jan 2007 03:12:00 UTC | #14035

Duff's Avatar Comment 22 by Duff

God to Pat: "Pat, I've got a flash for you. I'm not gonna give you the whole thing, just a hint. If I told you everything, people would start thinking you were Me...so listen up....

Thu, 04 Jan 2007 03:25:00 UTC | #14036

Intra's Avatar Comment 23 by Intra

Thank God for the dire (yet sufficiently vague) forewarning!

We're all being very unappreciative, really.

Thu, 04 Jan 2007 04:02:00 UTC | #14039

42nd's Avatar Comment 24 by 42nd

When you talk to God, that's Religion.
When He talks to you, that's schizophrenia.

Thu, 04 Jan 2007 04:32:00 UTC | #14042

MadSylvester's Avatar Comment 25 by MadSylvester

"The broadcaster predicted in January 2004 that President Bush would easily win re-election."

51% isn't "easily"...

"Bush would nominate conservative judges to federal courts."

It's obvious that a conservative president would nominate conservative judges. Am I the only one to see that?

"Robertson said God told him that storms and possibly a tsunami were to crash into America's coastline in 2006."

In regard to storms, I think that every year there are several hurricanes, so even my grandma could have done that prediction (note: my grandma is 88 years old, she is Italian and she doesn't even know where New Orleans is). In regard to Tsunami, there are two cases:
1) God doesn't know the difference between Tsunamis and Hurricanes
2) Robertson doesn't know the difference between Tsunamis and Hurricanes, so he failed to invent the prediction.

Anyway, I can do some other predictions: in 2007 several tornados will hit Texas, there will be fires in California and extremely cold winters in the Northern States, which will cause many problems and maybe victims.
Oh, I almost forgot to say that no God said those things to me and that I'm not an evangelist. I'm just a 23 years old Italian and I read newspapers.

Thu, 04 Jan 2007 04:39:00 UTC | #14044

Tinky Winky's Avatar Comment 26 by Tinky Winky

"The Lord didn't say nuclear. But I do believe it will be something like that."

Is there anything like a nuclear attack that isn't actually a nuclear attack?

Thu, 04 Jan 2007 04:43:00 UTC | #14045

jburdoo's Avatar Comment 27 by jburdoo

When I went to Kansas State University (the buckle of the Bible Belt), Pat Robertson came to speak one year. I was told that a group of local Wiccans formed a prayer circle around the auditorium he was in to keep the evil from escaping... I've never found confirmation of it, but I thought it was just a delicious story. Pity it can't really work that way.

Also, wasn't his own center in North Carolina once hit by a hurricane?

Being a skeptic, I have to assume these are urban legends until proven otherwise, but still.

Thu, 04 Jan 2007 05:07:00 UTC | #14048

dave p's Avatar Comment 28 by dave p

"Is there anything like a nuclear attack that isn't actually a nuclear attack?"

A nukular one, perhaps? I'm sure that's how Shrub would report it.

But it's remarkable that the Lord seems never to have said nuclear. Or "nukular".

You'd think an omniscient Creator of all things might have mentioned it.

Less important than all that stuff about trumpets and woodworm, I suppose.

Thu, 04 Jan 2007 05:16:00 UTC | #14050

Algebratheist's Avatar Comment 29 by Algebratheist

why hasnt he been diagnosed with schizophrenia yet?

Thu, 04 Jan 2007 05:24:00 UTC | #14051

-TheCodeCrack-'s Avatar Comment 30 by -TheCodeCrack-

In hindsight I was a little harsh on him, infact he has a soft non-threatening face, but beware of the dangerous meme he possesses within.
I mean truly does he actually hear the words, does he interpret the thud of his leg bumping into a table with a slight rustling noise of tree leaves outside into some type of word, hear what he wants to here? why can God the great creator not clearly articulate to him his message after all God apparently has achieved (by miraculously creating the individual then, oops somehow cant do the easier part of communicating with him), his communication skills still remain relatively poor and/or his un-comprehendible selection process in which he picks his victims.

So god's telling him 'what not' this and that, and apparently at the same time god's telling these 'terrorists' to commit these acts. Oh god why you play such pointless mischievous destructive games. Why you play both sides? Leave us alone for a bit please and let us have peace!

Thu, 04 Jan 2007 05:26:00 UTC | #14052