← Geosciences: Melt Rises to Earth's Surface Up to 25 Times Faster Than Previously Assumed

Geosciences: Melt Rises to Earth's Surface Up to 25 Times Faster Than Previously Assumed - Comments

rod-the-farmer's Avatar Comment 1 by rod-the-farmer

This proves conclusively that the earth is only 10,000 years old. 13 billion years, divided by 25, is 10k years. Well, close enough, given the speed of light was much faster in those days, and people lived much longer, and.....crap. I can't even write this much bull before my baloney-meter explodes.

Anyway, I hereby predict you will hear much hue & cry from fundies that this proves.....something. Remember you heard it here first.

Mon, 04 Jan 2010 15:27:00 UTC | #428319

Mbee's Avatar Comment 2 by Mbee

It's great to read articles like this one to see what science has discovered about the Earth.
From the smallest particle to the most distant galaxies science has discovered so much about the universe. Fascinating.

Compare that to what the religions have done in the last 2000 years!

Mon, 04 Jan 2010 15:35:00 UTC | #428324

rod-the-farmer's Avatar Comment 3 by rod-the-farmer

I like the idea of the colossal centrifuge, howling like a jet aircraft, spinning away in the basement. I would like to see a video of this, taken from a hole in the floor of the room above, thank you very much. I bet it was a bit## trying to get it balanced, given there were materials of different mass inside, some of which moved up/down relative to the axis after it was spun up. Bolted to the floor, indeed. A recipe for a disaster segment on the Discovery Channel.

Mon, 04 Jan 2010 15:42:00 UTC | #428328

dankuck's Avatar Comment 4 by dankuck

That crazy science. Always improvin'.

Mon, 04 Jan 2010 17:21:00 UTC | #428359

aquilacane's Avatar Comment 5 by aquilacane

Ah, the honesty of science and the ability to admit we are often wrong is the key to advancement. Sometimes you can't learn unless you are first mistaken.

Mon, 04 Jan 2010 18:25:00 UTC | #428377

King of NH's Avatar Comment 6 by King of NH

I'm calling dibs on sticking with the old magma flow model! Since I have no geology degree and am utterly baffled by how this actually pans out in real world consequences, I am in a perfect position to begin publishing.

Tue, 05 Jan 2010 02:31:00 UTC | #428614

MattHunX's Avatar Comment 7 by MattHunX

rod-the-farmer

I can tell you want one in YOUR basement. :)

And no doubt fundies will either go "Science was wrong see, see!" or as you said in your first comment they'll say "This proves conclusively that the earth is only 10,000 years old"

Tue, 05 Jan 2010 12:06:00 UTC | #428730

Border Collie's Avatar Comment 8 by Border Collie

Sorry, Rod, the fundy's cry is and will always be ... "We're ignorant, uninformed, uneducated, stupid and crass AND proud of it!" Furthermore, how can there be magma if the Earth is flat?

Tue, 05 Jan 2010 18:10:00 UTC | #428863