← In Search of the Meaning of Life at Summer Camp

In Search of the Meaning of Life at Summer Camp - Comments

flipingsweet778's Avatar Comment 1 by flipingsweet778

Awesome!!

Fri, 09 Jul 2010 00:32:34 UTC | #487394

Toronto Atheist's Avatar Comment 2 by Toronto Atheist

This is fantastic. No question that CFI still does amazing work.

Nevertheless, I am finished with this organization.

The recent problems at CFI have been well documented here. So I will not rehash them in this post.

But despite these difficulties, I was still an admirer of CFI.

That is until I heard their last podcast.

The podcast was a political debate between Chris Mooney and Robert Price, representing liberal and conservative political philosophy respectively.

There's nothing wrong with the concept of this podcast.

However, it was what Robert Price had to say that left me shocked and disgusted.

Price essentially compared abortion to infanticide. And he called stem cell research 'Frankenstein science'.

How an organization like CFI could employ someone with such irrational views on science and medicine is a mystery to me.

Needless to say, that was the last CFI podcast I will ever listen to.

Fri, 09 Jul 2010 01:33:43 UTC | #487404

Alternative Carpark's Avatar Comment 3 by Alternative Carpark

As far as the podcast goes, I jumped ship with D.J.

Fri, 09 Jul 2010 04:11:50 UTC | #487427

Michael Gray's Avatar Comment 4 by Michael Gray

I still listen to the CFI podcasts by Karen Stollznow.

Fri, 09 Jul 2010 04:36:47 UTC | #487432

Nunbeliever's Avatar Comment 5 by Nunbeliever

Seems like a fantastic opportunity for children! If I ever have children I would like them to take part in camps like this one. Still why the strange headline "In Search of the Meaning of Life..."? The article does not deal with the question in any way... and why on earth would a secular camp deal with finding THE meaning of life? That would be absurd! I could understand this strange headline if this article was published in an ordinary newspaper (where editors get the headlines wrong all the time). But it is published on CFI:s own site.

Fri, 09 Jul 2010 09:51:01 UTC | #487462

aquilacane's Avatar Comment 6 by aquilacane

All in all sounds good. Can't say I agree with the headline though. Would have preferred something a little more accurate, like: In Search of a meaning to apply to my life. In Search of the Meaning of Life implies there is one; which I doubt. Would have changed the question Why am I here with How am I here as well. Bad habits in language there.

Reminds me of some sloppy evolution language, such as: The giraffe evolved its long neck to reach the tops of trees instead of the more accurate Giraffes can reach the tops of trees because they have evolved a long neck.

I don't like the suggestions of intent or meaning in life, unless they are vaguely applied to self. Otherwise, intent and meaning require something to have pre determined what the intentions are and what the definition of meaning is.

Fri, 09 Jul 2010 13:01:22 UTC | #487495

PERSON's Avatar Comment 7 by PERSON

To my mind, there isn't a problem with people saying such things on CFI shows: there's a problem if they aren't challenged and the challenge followed to a conclusion. And the person should not be invited back if they make a poor argument, whatever their views. At the very least, the arguments could be better made by someone else if they have any validity.

There's also an accountability question: who decided to invite them and how do they justify it? That should be pursued before giving up and going to some other organisation (or none at all: a real win for the enemies of reason). Did you contact the CFI? Have you made any public complaint except here? If you just abandon them, the only people they will get feedback from will be people who are not put off so easily. And we know what kind of people they could well be: liars for Jesus.

Updated: Fri, 09 Jul 2010 14:03:01 UTC | #487503

PERSON's Avatar Comment 8 by PERSON

How about this? "Giraffes that could reach slightly higher branches did better, and this caused selection of longer and longer necks until there was no more benefit to be had."

I actually find the word "evolution" a bit awkward as its root definition lacks the full meaning it should convey. It generally works out better if you talk about "selection" instead, IMO.

Fri, 09 Jul 2010 14:12:43 UTC | #487505

Toronto Atheist's Avatar Comment 9 by Toronto Atheist

Comment 7 by PERSON

PERSON,

the problem isn't that Robert Price was invited on the podcast and not challenged when expressing these pseudo-scientific and irrational views.

The problem is that Robert Price is employed by CFI.

Fri, 09 Jul 2010 16:48:10 UTC | #487536

Mayhemm's Avatar Comment 10 by Mayhemm

The problem is that Robert Price is employed by CFI.

I just listened to the Mooney/Price podcast a few days ago and was rather impressed with both speakers. They seem like well-spoken, intelligent men with very reasonable arguments on the whole.

And while I do agree with you on the topics you mentioned regarding Price, I still think he is by far the most reasonable conservative I have ever come across (make of that what you will).

Are you really suggesting he should not be employed by the CFI simply because he holds some views contrary to yours (and mine)?

I admit that I found his arguments regarding abortion and stem-cell research to be out of place with the rest of the views he expressed and more along the traditional conservative party line, but there could be all sorts of reasons for him feeling this way. The only way he could get on my bad side is if he refused to listen to the arguments against his views and consider changing his mind like a true rational being.

Fri, 09 Jul 2010 22:32:10 UTC | #487616

Zakie Chan's Avatar Comment 11 by Zakie Chan

Toronto Atheist,

Let me get this straight... you like CFI's mission, but because they have one bible scholar who argued for a position on something that you don't agree with, you don't want anything to do with them anymore? "Who cares about the great work Price has done for CFI, and his valuable expertise? He is against abortion. Fire him!" Seriously?

This is the same hysterical mentality that got Bruce Waltke fired, simply because he accepted evolution.

Lets all keep in mind that it is very rare to meet someone (let alone an organization) that will COMPLETELY agree with everything you think. Appreciate their effort, and if you don't like something that ONE person say about ONE issue... get over it.

Updated: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 03:52:11 UTC | #487646