← Wild Cat Found Mimicking Monkey Calls; Predatory Trickery Documented for the First Time in Wild Felids in Americas

Wild Cat Found Mimicking Monkey Calls; Predatory Trickery Documented for the First Time in Wild Felids in Americas - Comments

-TheCodeCrack-'s Avatar Comment 1 by -TheCodeCrack-

Very interesting.

Could someone please inform me of the name of the species pictured above? I've never seen a cat species that had that kind of face and colouration.

Sat, 10 Jul 2010 15:35:07 UTC | #487720

RichardofYork's Avatar Comment 2 by RichardofYork

Its a Margay :)

Updated: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 15:40:31 UTC | #487722

robotaholic's Avatar Comment 3 by robotaholic

wow! That is awesome.

Sat, 10 Jul 2010 15:48:52 UTC | #487724

-TheCodeCrack-'s Avatar Comment 4 by -TheCodeCrack-

Comment 2 by RichardofYork :

Its a Margay :)

Thanks Rich.

There's so many species out there that I get shocked when I see such an interesting an unique one that I haven't seen previously. It happens to me all the time. Someone shows me a member of some random species on a nature doco, or something, and I'm literally stunned that I'd never seen that species before. There's so many different types of organisms out there, that it's impossible for your eyes to sample an average member of each type.

Sat, 10 Jul 2010 15:53:33 UTC | #487727

-TheCodeCrack-'s Avatar Comment 5 by -TheCodeCrack-

to the topic.

It would be interesting if someone filmed and recorded the sound and made it available for public consumption.

I wonder if it's hardwired/scripted thing, or, to borrow Richard Dawkins' language, rules of thumb being harnessed - like, pattern recognition (when the sound of prey species 'a' is heard, species 'a' members will approach the noise). That's the pattern recognition part. Now what do we call the harnessing of this fact?

I really hope it's not some cultural transmission, you know, some cat bumbled on to the right noise, taught it's kids how to make the noise (kids probably just imitate mum making it), and that information was invaluable to them, increasing the chances of the propagation of this cultural phenomenon throughout the gene pool (obviously, it would have too, surely).

All interesting.

Updated: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 16:00:08 UTC | #487728

CLawrence's Avatar Comment 6 by CLawrence

My domestic cat appears to mimic bird chatter. I have seen this behaviour in another domestic cat in a youtube video.

Sat, 10 Jul 2010 19:07:37 UTC | #487762

Southpaw's Avatar Comment 7 by Southpaw

I can hear it now...

Psssstt.... Hey! Monkey! Wanna banana?

Joking aside, fascinating stuff.

Updated: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 21:28:49 UTC | #487800

RichardofYork's Avatar Comment 8 by RichardofYork

Nature never ceases to amaze me .I don't want all the answers either I want all the questions

Sat, 10 Jul 2010 21:30:13 UTC | #487801

RebeccaS's Avatar Comment 9 by RebeccaS

Ive watched my domestic cats mimic bird chatter also! Trying to make the bird comfortable to come closer - to catch a meal! Ive watched some birds become basically hypnotised by my cats. And ive also seen my cats make gentle come hither sounds when trying to catch mice! Its truelly amazing how intelligent cats are! They are a very amazing and remarkable.

Sun, 11 Jul 2010 08:43:59 UTC | #487866

besleybean's Avatar Comment 10 by besleybean

Interesting. My cat used to make an odd sound when she saw birds, I never thought of it as her mimicking them!

Sun, 11 Jul 2010 20:00:10 UTC | #488001

stephenray's Avatar Comment 11 by stephenray

Um...a cat imitating prey noises or trying to lull prey into immobility is not evidence of intelligence, I am afraid, but simply evidence of another evolutionary arms race. The better the prey gets at distinguishing the real from the imitation, so that it can avoid becoming lunch and live to successfully reproduce, the better the imitation gets if the predator is to eat so that it lives to successfully reproduce.

Give your cat a short test on logic skills and see how well it does...

Sun, 18 Jul 2010 19:55:06 UTC | #490005

besleybean's Avatar Comment 12 by besleybean

Were you speaking to me? My cat died 20 years ago.

Mon, 19 Jul 2010 07:20:03 UTC | #490162